• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

Persona wise I kinda like the pace, it doesn't really feel bloated to me yet. Only issue I had with the game was
the overseas trip you take before Palace 5. It felt completely uneventful bar a couple of little plot points here and there, and while it was fairly short, it just felt like padding for paddings sake, since you couldn't explore anywhere

Guys I finished 4 and got to ch. 3 in the fifth but I never bothered with the substories. Currently playing Zero and already did 40 and the quests are one of the best and funniest I've ever seen in JRPGs. I regret so much rushing through the previous games. Shit.

Technically none of the side stories in 4 or 5 are missable, you can do them in the premium adventure mode which is unlocked once you beat the game. Its great for wrapping up any non story related trophies, side stories and mini games. But yeah, the side stories (especially in 0, but 5 has a ton of great ones as well) are really well done/funny, its a nice change from some open world games giving you repetitive tasks to complete over and over, here instead you get to observe a slice of the civilians lives, and boy do they lead some weird lives!

Persona wise I kinda like the pace, it doesn't really feel bloated to me yet. Only issue I had with the game was
the overseas trip you take before Palace 5. It felt completely uneventful bar a couple of little plot points here and there, and while it was fairly short, it just felt like padding for paddings sake, since you couldn't explore anywhere
For me, I started to lose interest in Persona 5 after the [this is not a spoiler for you Shadow)
4th palace.
The next 30-40 hours that followed that were really boring and a lot of times just annoying, so I kinda started to dislike a good portion of cast and lost interest in whatever the game was trying to do with its story.

It kinda got better towards the end where story felt a lot more connected and consistent, but even then to me the story was like a pretty average anime plot and since I'd grown to dislike the core cast, it didn't do anything for me.

I think the reason why I love Persona 4 so much, is because the cast and characters are just fun to be around. They work really well as a group of friends and that makes me a lot more forgiving when it comes to the shortcomings of main plot. Another thing is that I actually like that in Persona 4 you are always reminded of that carrot at the end of the stick. Whereas in Persona 5, for a very very long time, it feels like the characters are just doing whatever and there is no overreaching plot.

To kinda connect this discussion back to Yakuza, I very much prefer how in Yakuza 0 the game keeps on giving you these clear goals that you wanna reach, which then lead to other sides of plot, and then the game connects them all with each other to tell a very interesting and deeply connected story. Unfortunately in Persona 5, a very big chunk of the game feels like you are doing this thing and then shifting your attention to do that unrelated thing, then once more you shift your attention to do another unrelated thing, etc.

I also have other big problems with the very repetitive structure of the story/game and how I felt the game wasn't the kind of sequel/new entry that I wanted to see in Persona series after Persona 4. But you still haven't finished the game and this has already become a pretty long post, so for now, I'll just leave it at that.

So AmiAmi sent me an invoice for the Figma Majima, I should be getting it soon then. Can't wait to have next to Kiryu, although I gotta ask for people who have the Kiryu Figma: did anyone feel like the wrist are limited in motion? granted it's a ball with a peg because of the changable hands, but I kind of want to make him do a tiger drop and I got kind of annoyed with the wrist's range.

yeah i recall him being a little limited there

shit, how much is majima? forgot that was coming out!

$61 bucks after (Air Small Packet) shipping.

I'm a little surprised because I was expecting a delay since the release was apparently scheduled for this month and I hadn't heard from AmiAmi until now.

I also have other big problems with the very repetitive structure of the story/game and how I felt the game wasn't the kind of sequel/new entry that I wanted to see in Persona series after Persona 4. But you still haven't finished the game and this has already become a pretty long post, so for now, I'll just leave it at that.

Yeah, I can totally see where your coming from. I guess I'm lucky in a way that I've not played Persona 3 or 4 yet, since my opinion might not be quite as favourable if I had. That said, I'm now really looking forward to playing both of them since I've enjoyed 5 so much!

Anyway, in terms of Yakuza... just 4 days left now before we get some news on the new title... I can hardly wait! (if it were not for the fact that we might see more Shenmue 3/get a Shenmue HD announcement at E3 I'd say I might be more hyped for the Yakuza announcement than E3...)

Desmond

Holy Christ, why do I have to get 100 clan creator victories? An outrageous trophy. Any lineups/builds to take on the latter fights?

Holy Christ, why do I have to get 100 clan creator victories? An outrageous trophy. Any lineups/builds to take on the latter fights?

Well the best way of getting the 100 victories is just redoing one of the easiest missions over and over - preferably with a levelled up team so you clear the fight quickly. Its such a boring trophy since you aren't given nearly enough missions and the online side of things is just filled with level '99 all star teams that are impossible to beat unless you use the same teams yourself.

For the main missions I just took a core team and levelled them up loads (remember you can spend your own points you get from fighting/eating etc. to level the gang up as you would Kiryu to speed things up).

The Amon gang fights are crazy though, I just ended up using a team that consisted of Kiryu, Majima, Seijima, Daigo, Akiyama and grunts. Someone on these boards kindly provided me with the codes, but you should be able to get said codes from one of the Japanese wiki pages. They are hilariously overpowered for standard missions, but still require a good bit of levelling if you want to beat the last couple of Amon gang missions (these are completely separate to the main optional boss battle. They also are not required to get any trophies in the game, I just did them for fun).

Desmond

I found the codes already on a Japanese fan site, but Amon slaughtered me even with those guys. I suppose I need to level them up.

I love the mode but you're right, there's not nearly enough missions. I've been grinding the missions just before the Amon ones, and spending all the cash in Rizap, as getting the green experience points is such a nuisance. I assume the all skills trophy means I need all 125 ones? And not just the heat ones etc...

I found the codes already on a Japanese fan site, but Amon slaughtered me even with those guys. I suppose I need to level them up.

I love the mode but you're right, there's not nearly enough missions. I've been grinding the missions just before the Amon ones, and spending all the cash in Rizap, as getting the green experience points is such a nuisance. I assume the all skills trophy means I need all 125 ones? And not just the heat ones etc...

I forget about the skills trophy, I'd have to double check that.

I think the gang creator is a bit of a missed opportunity. They could have easily released (paid) bonus content with more missions, maybe basing it on previous Yakuza games where you can have your gang fight previous bosses etc. Beating them lets you recruit them. I'd imagine they could cut corners with character models since its pretty much viewed from that isometric/top down view.

I seem to remember my Kiryu was something like level 80? when I finally beat Amon. Majima and Seijima were 60 odd and the rest were 50ish...
Make sure your bringing Daigo out first though, his power is to give you more points which allows you to be able to call out more characters so its a great way of spawning plenty of your characters quick. Oh, and obviously also have a character that can heal on your team, that's incredibly useful in its own right!

Yeah, I can totally see where your coming from. I guess I'm lucky in a way that I've not played Persona 3 or 4 yet, since my opinion might not be quite as favourable if I had. That said, I'm now really looking forward to playing both of them since I've enjoyed 5 so much!

Anyway, in terms of Yakuza... just 4 days left now before we get some news on the new title... I can hardly wait! (if it were not for the fact that we might see more Shenmue 3/get a Shenmue HD announcement at E3 I'd say I might be more hyped for the Yakuza announcement than E3...)
Oh yeah, if this is your first Persona then I totally expect you to love it. For some reason I thought you were also a fan of Persona 4, hahaha.

Anyway, back to Yakuza, I honestly don't expect much from this month's announcement. I think at best we might get a logo or simply get a confirmation on whether the next game will be another samurai spin-off (God, I hope so) or another mainline entry.

Anyway, back to Yakuza, I honestly don't expect much from this month's announcement. I think at best we might get a logo or simply get a confirmation on whether the next game will be another samurai spin-off (God, I hope so) or another mainline entry.

Yeah, I think I'm getting a bit too hyped, but there is no way to quell this thirst now! But yeah, I'd totally be up for another Samurai game. Kenzan and Ishin are two of my favourites, especially in terms of late game boss fights and set pieces, so another game (with the new game engine) would be amazing. Either way, at least we should get a large amount of info at TGS this year if we do only get some basic info next week.

Yeah, I think I'm getting a bit too hyped, but there is no way to quell this thirst now! But yeah, I'd totally be up for another Samurai game. Kenzan and Ishin are two of my favourites, especially in terms of late game boss fights and set pieces, so another game (with the new game engine) would be amazing. Either way, at least we should get a large amount of info at TGS this year if we do only get some basic info next week.
Yep, I really liked Ishin and Kenzan so I'm hoping that we see another samurai game with the new engine. And yeah, even if we don't get that much info next week, we still have TGS so you can let loose Shadow, hahaha.

Desmond

I forget about the skills trophy, I'd have to double check that.

I think the gang creator is a bit of a missed opportunity. They could have easily released (paid) bonus content with more missions, maybe basing it on previous Yakuza games where you can have your gang fight previous bosses etc. Beating them lets you recruit them. I'd imagine they could cut corners with character models since its pretty much viewed from that isometric/top down view.

I seem to remember my Kiryu was something like level 80? when I finally beat Amon. Majima and Seijima were 60 odd and the rest were 50ish...
Make sure your bringing Daigo out first though, his power is to give you more points which allows you to be able to call out more characters so its a great way of spawning plenty of your characters quick. Oh, and obviously also have a character that can heal on your team, that's incredibly useful in its own right!
Yeah, I've noticed that about Daigo. Very useful. Thee only healer character I have is Masao /Masaru? I forget his name. I only still use him as hes like level 70,miles ahead of the other lads I have.

Yep, I really liked Ishin and Kenzan so I'm hoping that we see another samurai game with the new engine. And yeah, even if we don't get that much info next week, we still have TGS so you can let loose Shadow, hahaha.

Yeah, TGS should hopefully pretty great this year if only for Yakuza. I always love the info blowouts we get - long story trailer, gameplay trailers etc. so assuming the game is due out before September 2018 I think we'll get some decent coverage of the game in September even if next weeks info is pretty thin on the ground.

Yeah, I've noticed that about Daigo. Very useful. Thee only healer character I have is Masao /Masaru? I forget his name. I only still use him as hes like level 70,miles ahead of the other lads I have.

Yeah, that's the healer I use. Fairly useless in a fight but he's cheap to spawn, has an awesome power and respawns fairly quick as well. Definitely useful in a pinch.

Desmond

Clan Creator grinding done, and with it I not only have all the skills purchased, but most of the all, the Yakuza 6 platinum trophy! 🏆

Clan Creator grinding done, and with it I not only have all the skills purchased, but most of the all, the Yakuza 6 platinum trophy! 🏆

Well done :) Its mercifully one of the easier plats to get in the series. Certainly compared to games like Yakuza 1 HD (not Kiwami) and Yakuza 3.

I still wish I could have cleared the entire CP list in 6, but I remember getting stuck on a couple of the objectives with no idea how to clear them - there is one in there for having a baseball player with certain stats (I think?) that I could never figure out how to do (despite recruiting them all, and levelling several of them up completely), completely levelling up Kiryu in fishing (that's just the most insane grind in the entire series) and I never did clear Puyo Puyo beating every character (that's just darn hard!).

Desmond

Well done :) Its mercifully one of the easier plats to get in the series. Certainly compared to games like Yakuza 1 HD (not Kiwami) and Yakuza 3.

I still wish I could have cleared the entire CP list in 6, but I remember getting stuck on a couple of the objectives with no idea how to clear them - there is one in there for having a baseball player with certain stats (I think?) that I could never figure out how to do (despite recruiting them all, and levelling several of them up completely), completely levelling up Kiryu in fishing (that's just the most insane grind in the entire series) and I never did clear Puyo Puyo beating every character (that's just darn hard!).
it's the only Yakuza Platinum I have so far. Some of them are just two monotonous with some of the objectives. Zero's baseball was the death of me.

I wonder why they made 6 so easy.

it's the only Yakuza Platinum I have so far. Some of them are just two monotonous with some of the objectives. Zero's baseball was the death of me.

I wonder why they made 6 so easy.

They modelled 6's baseball on Shinada's baseball missions from 5. Something I have no problems with as I loved those missions (just don't use bullet time else it makes them far too easy!)
Then again 6 did change a number of returning mini games - darts go a completely new control scheme/way to aim (dumbing down the difficulty too much for my liking), Karaoke had all the notes appear on one continual line, rather than the slightly confusing set up (for some) that it used before. Made it easier to read, plus it felt easier as a whole (I can 100% pretty much any song in the game while I'd be lucky to do that in any previous game) and Mahjong got new sound effects (well they sound more soothing now!)

Skulldead

Sorry little rant here, i'm at 25 hour in Yakuza 5, i like everything about the game so far (Chapter 2 part 4) but who the hell balance hard difficulty ?
I mean yakuza never felt hard (3 was pretty hard exception to the rules), but normal on Y1-Y2 feel somewhat challenging during some boss encounter.
Yakuza 4 was a joke, nothing feel balance, the game offer not a single challenging moment, even optional fight felt flat.

In Yakuza 5, double life bar is totally broken, random encounter feel pointless, it's impossible to die, in hard mode i get attack every freaking second !
I'm fine with easy game, when it meant to be easy, but why bother creating a hard mode in that case ! I mean something feel wrong, just don't put difficulty setting in that case.
A chance the mini game are challenging, because i would be bored in no time. Does it get a little better later ? they give OP characther at first then it became a little harder later ?
After that i'm on yakuza 0, tell me they have at least correct that aspect ?

There's an optional item in Yakuza 5 (charismatic autograph/photo) that boosts the difficulty. I used it quite a bit through the game and it rebalanced the game wonderfully for me. Just don't use it in Yakuza 0 as it makes the enemies insanely aggressive in that game.

Opa-Pa

I know this will sound a bit weird after my praise for the game, but uuh, does Saejila's story stay this boring from beginning to end in Yakuza 5? The actual story is intriguing (and worrying!! You know what I mean) enough, but the prison segment was a slog and a weird way to introduce hostesses and mini-games, and now the hunting village part seems like more of the same. The settings don't help either.

I mean the bosses have been awesome at least, but at this point I just want to skip to the Harula part and dance.

There's an optional item in Yakuza 5 (charismatic autograph/photo) that boosts the difficulty. I used it quite a bit through the game and it rebalanced the game wonderfully for me. Just don't use it in Yakuza 0 as it makes the enemies insanely aggressive in that game.

Ah so that's what it's for, nice I'll equip it.

I know this will sound a bit weird after my praise for the game, but uuh, does Saejila's story stay this boring from beginning to end in Yakuza 5? The actual story is intriguing (and worrying!! You know what I mean) enough, but the prison segment was a slog and a weird way to introduce hostesses and mini-games, and now the hunting village part seems like more of the same. The settings don't help either.

I mean the bosses have been awesome at least, but at this point I just want to skip to the Harula part and dance.

Its badly paced. The prison section needed to be 1 chapter not two, as it means the content for the chapter is left until Seijima's 4th chapter - when you reach the city (there's a ton of stuff to do). I loved the small town story and hunting sections though, such a nice change of atmosphere compared to past entries in the series.

Sgblues

Also equipping the champion's ring and being drunk makes enemies more aggressive.

In Zero, the photograph just increases enemy encounter rate but the new charismatic autobiography item not only increases enemy encounter rate but also enemy attack frequency and the new furious ring causes enemy to start in angry mode(they have a red aura) and do more damage and have a bit of super armor to their attacks, the same thing happens normally when you beat them down and taunt them.

Also equipping the champion's ring and being drunk makes enemies more aggressive.

In Zero, the photograph just increases enemy encounter rate but the new charismatic autobiography item not only increases enemy encounter rate but also enemy attack frequency and the new furious ring causes enemy to start in angry mode(they have a red aura) and do more damage and have a bit of super armor to their attacks, the same thing happens normally when you beat them down and taunt them.

Maybe its the ring I was thinking of then, as that describes how the enemies acted when I had something equipped in 5. Definitely made the game more fun for me, was as similar item available for Yakuza 4?

Jimrpg

I thought kiryus section was one of the best in the series and Saejimas one of the worst. It feels like a slog because there's so much dialogue in the prison section that feels like it doesn't go anywhere. Once you get out of prison you're trapped in the snowy village where there isn't a whole lot to do. Then there are those dream sequences that make you play the game in near black and white. And then neither Saejimas or Baba are all that interesting either.

Last chapter in Saejimas section is fine where you do get to run around the town a bit.

Skulldead

Last chapter in Saejimas section is fine where you do get to run around the town a bit.

I'm right there now, i found the town not fun at all and its nearly impossible to bypass enemies because the road are block for no good reason.... i want to know the story behind all this, but i also want to do every side content (not all the mini-game, take to much time for the fun it give)

Where i can get this photo thing ? i haven't see it yet (i think in 4 it was in Colosseum in my memory).

edit : Any tips for weapon revelation , do have only just use Heavy attack (triangle) ? This is totally random or it reveal after a certain number of hit ?

Opa-Pa

God, the hunting village part in Saejima's story is dragging like hell, this is so weird and out of place that it f-

"VS Mountain God"

Haha holy shit, that's more like it.

Shahadan

I bought Yakuza 0 for 29€ on amazon to keep my busy before ARMS, knew absolutely nothing about this series at all except the chicken gif.

Chapter 1 done.
Holy shit. I needed this in my life ten years ago! Why didn't people tell me

I'm going to preorder Kiwami immediately.

Looks like my top 20 action/adventure games. I see plenty of Yakuza, Shenmue, Mega Man Legends and Forbidden Siren. That's excellent taste right there :) Nice to see Shenmue rank so high as well. Also was surprised somewhat at a couple of Yakuza choices - Yakuza 6 being so highly rated, when it came under fire for some of its design choices. Glad to see its still loved (as I still ultimately love the game), and seeing Kenzan get mentioned is even better, that one is incredibly under rated in my opinion (well, maybe not, but it deserves more attention but that's what you get for not releasing it outside of Japan). No surprises about Yakuza 0 though, that game is just a class act.

Aki-at

Saw this earlier in the week and was quite surprised.

But then Japan does like Yakuza a lot so I shouldn't be too shocked to see it perform so well, just hope their console industry wasn't declining as strongly as it has :/

I bought Yakuza 0 for 29€ on amazon to keep my busy before ARMS, knew absolutely nothing about this series at all except the chicken gif.

Chapter 1 done.

Oh trust me, we tried telling people, we tried telling A LOT of people ;__;

Looks like my top 20 action/adventure games. I see plenty of Yakuza, Shenmue, Mega Man Legends and Forbidden Siren. That's excellent taste right there :) Nice to see Shenmue rank so high as well. Also was surprised somewhat at a couple of Yakuza choices - Yakuza 6 being so highly rated, when it came under fire for some of its design choices. Glad to see its still loved (as I still ultimately love the game), and seeing Kenzan get mentioned is even better, that one is incredibly under rated in my opinion (well, maybe not, but it deserves more attention but that's what you get for not releasing it outside of Japan). No surprises about Yakuza 0 though, that game is just a class act.
Four Yakuza games in top 20 and Yakuza 0 winning the whole thing, just proves that Japanese gamers have amazing taste :)

Anyway, I made a thread. Though, I don't expect it to go that well lol

bluethree

on chapter 5 in Yakuza 0, everything's so well done even if it's not radically different from previous games. One thing that really strikes me is how good the series is at using its lore. Like how Majima's story is a direct result of events referenced in previous games and we get to see the aftermath of that in more detail. I like what I've seen of his story so far and am enjoying the Osaka parts a lot more than the Tokyo ones.

Jimrpg

Holy shit Yakuza 0 won? I approve of this list.

Chapter 1 done.

It gets better.

Opa-Pa

About Yakuza 0.

I know it's incredibly popular among newcomers and many consider it their GOTY, which is awesome, but what's the concensus among veterans (or new fans who've played most games before it)? Is it really GOAT Yakuza material in your eyes?

It does look incredible from trailers and gameplay videos, but I'm scared that I may have ridiculous expectations at this point.

Desmond

About Yakuza 0.

I know it's incredibly popular among newcomers and many consider it their GOTY, which is awesome, but what's the concensus among veterans (or new fans who've played most games before it)? Is it really GOAT Yakuza material in your eyes?

It does look incredible from trailers and gameplay videos, but I'm scared that I may have ridiculous expectations at this point.
A lot would consider 2 to be the best in the series. 0 is pretty high up there though.

About Yakuza 0.

I think 0 is tied for me with Yakuza 2 and Yakuza 4 in the top of the bracket.

the secret best Yakuza game is Ishin

I'd put 0 above 2 in most regards - combat, content, graphics, controls etc. are all far better and enhanced over 2. 2 however has an awesome story and antagonist so I'd probably rate it over 0 in that regard.

I'd also rank Kenzan incredibly high on my favourites list. As I mentioned above I feel that it didn't get as much love as it should since it was consigned only to Japan, but I loved how much they fleshed out the combat (the fighting styles in that game rock), I loved the fighting arena in the game plus the story and boss battles were excellent. Majima also really rocked in the game (as always).

Tizoc

I'ma leave this here in case someone wants to make an avatar of it
Yakuza5-600x337.jpg

Shahadan

I gotta say I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying (serious) cutscenes and dialogue. I expected that part to be boring tbh.
It's done well, direction and voice acting is also good. Are all the games in the series like that?

I'm not far into Zero but I'm sure I'll have trouble waiting for Kiwami :lol:
Also wtf at the time between jp and EU/NA releases, I'm glad I'm discovering this only now after all

I gotta say I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying (serious) cutscenes and dialogue. I expected that part to be boring tbh.
It's done well, direction and voice acting is also good. Are all the games in the series like that?

Also wtf at the time between jp and EU/NA releases, I'm glad I'm discovering this only now after all

Yes Yakuza always been top class in drama and voice acting.

IrishNinja

yeah, i usually put 4 < 2 just for new characters/added dimensions but 0 strips it back to 2 people and adds multiple fighting styles so you never feel it's monotonous.

i need some distance from it, but 0 might be one of my favorites - it's everything a prequel could be: an excellent stand-alone that even fills in blanks for part 1 (why is Nishima such a big deal? if kazzy's such a badass why is he so lowly here etc etc). i'm absolutely not going into Kiwami with hopes of matching this, but if/when Kiwami 2 drops? hell yeah, mothertrucker

The series has never been all that popular in English speaking countries, and its felt like Sega was ready to give up translating the series several times now. It seemed like 3 would never get translated (well, it felt that way to me) and even when it eventually was, it was pretty butchered in terms of cut content, then after Dead Souls pretty much tanked the series it took years to get a translation of 5... (most people assumed the series was dead at this point outside of Japan).

Now though things are improving slightly. Kiwami and 6 will get English releases faster than previous games, which is a step up. Hopefully whatever the next Yakuza game is, it gets translated quicker. Plus after 0 I guess it helps that slightly more people are aware of the series - plus Kiwami's price point will hopefully help more people get on board.

Aki-at

About Yakuza 0.

It's great, my second favourite in the series.

I loved playing with the 3 different styles with Kiryu (Less so for Majima) the side stories are some of my favourites (And definitely up there in terms of wackiness) and the music, oh the music is great. Probably my favourite along with 5 but it's tough to put down which one I like more.

But when Kiwami 2 happens, Yakuza 2 will take it's rightful place as the best in the series again. I greatly prefer Kiryu only adventures though :p

sibarraz

Banned
I'm playing Yakuza 5 now, I'm on the part of akiyama and boy, the game is cool and all, but I feel that is way bigger than it should have been, I have been playing this game only the weekends and I really feel that at times is a drag, I don't feel like doing sidequest anymore (I complete the substories though) and it saddens me that I still have to play tanimura part and the climax that I guess will be in karumocho and will be maybe longer than the other chapters

I enjoyed yakuza 4 way more, it never felt like a drag to me. I hope that 0 and 6 are not as bloated as 5

Top Bottom