• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Any chance i'll ever find Crusader of Centy for a decent price?

About 6-7 years ago I picked it up for $50 cib. Guess prices went up in the meanwhile?

I highly recommend the game for anybody who wants a LTTP like experience on the Genesis. It does a few unique things as well, too.
And its main plot twist would later be echoed in Nier

TrounceX

Ok for real, Streets of Rage 2 is the best game for the Genesis.

My best friend and I played it every day for sooo long back in Elementary School. The game seemed impossible at first, but we finally ended up beating it like the true gaming prodigies we were. Man, that was probably the most epic gaming moment of my life. Shit was so fucking hardcore. I just remember being so excited....damn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDaio2hf1fE

ughh nostalgia overload

BosSin

Ok for real, Streets of Rage 2 is the best game for the Genesis.

My best friend and I played it every day for sooo long back in Elementary School. The game seemed impossible at first, but we finally ended up beating it like the true gaming prodigies we were. Man, that was probably the most epic gaming moment of my life. Shit was so fucking hardcore. I just remember being so excited....damn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDaio2hf1fE

ughh nostalgia overload

The intro music is fucking BAWSS

Everything about the game is amazing

Darth

I would pay top $ for Herzog Zwei on the PSN. No change in the graphics or sound (don't screw with the amazing soundtrack), just add online abilities, 16:9 support and no slowdown with max enemies. Another option would be to increase total number of units in some modes, that would be crazy.

Raptomex

FUCKING BLAST PROCESSING! I use to play the original Sonic games at the dentist's office. He had an entire gaming room. It was awesome.

Magnus

Woah, my Genny didn't look like the one in the OP. I got it with Sonic & Knuckles for Christmas '94 though. Did I get a revision system?

Dave Long

Banned
I re-bought Strider just about two weeks ago. I think when I sit down to play it tonight, I'll have to snap a few pix of the CDX and my collection. Fun!

Foxix Von

Is anyone else not caring all that much about game boxes? For modern games, I'm pretty picky but something about picking up old Genesis/SNES games I can't seem to make myself pull the trigger on the extra cash to buy copies CIB. Especially with some of the later releases being in the flimsy cardboard boxes. I'm even okay with just bare sega CD games since the giant jewel cases NEVER keep safe and a relatively nice sega cd game with a complete case jumps the price up like craaaazy. It's just not worth the cash for me.

Not to mention the amount of space they take up. It's way easier for me to plop them all in a shoebox and just sift through whichever title I want to play for a bit haha

Dave Long

Banned
There's no excuse for Genesis games not coming in box with manual given the nature of the casing. Those plastic cases are pretty much indestructible. Most everything I have is in box.

For pretty much all other retro systems save the Neo Geo AES, I don't worry too much... though I prefer complete. SNES complete games are really going up.

BosSin

I'm looking for a really good 6 button pad for my Megadrive. I already bought a competition pro series 3, however the d-pad doesn't feel right. It kinda sticks in certain positions.

Any recommendations?

smbu2000

Any chance i'll ever find Crusader of Centy for a decent price?
Is the game rare?
I got the Japanese version of the game when I picked up a JP Mega Drive 2 system with 10 games on Yahoo Auctions JP for about $30 (shipped) about 3 years ago. I hadn't heard of the game before then. I just want the system and it had other good games that I wanted like Streets of Rage 2 and Golden Axe 2. All the games had boxes and manuals as well.

It could just be that the game isn't rare at all in Japan.
For example, Panzer Dragoon Saga is rare in the US, but in here in Japan where the Saturn was relatively popular I picked up a used copy of the JP version of the game with box/manual for about $5.

Is the game rare?
I got the Japanese version of the game when I picked up a JP Mega Drive 2 system with 10 games on Yahoo Auctions JP for about $30 (shipped) about 3 years ago. I hadn't heard of the game before then. I just want the system and it had other good games that I wanted like Streets of Rage 2 and Golden Axe 2. All the games had boxes and manuals as well.

It could just be that the game isn't rare at all in Japan.
For example, Panzer Dragoon Saga is rare in the US, but in here in Japan where the Saturn was relatively popular I picked up a used copy of the JP version of the game with box/manual for about $5.

JP and Korean versions aren't rare. US was published by Atlus, enough said.

smbu2000

Ah okay then. If it was published by Atlus that explains the rarity.

The game is pretty good though. I didn't really play it, but my girlfriend finished the game. It was actually the first Genesis/MD game she'd ever played. She grew up on the Super Famicom. The MD wasn't that popular in Japan.

Dave Long

Banned
I'm looking for a really good 6 button pad for my Megadrive. I already bought a competition pro series 3, however the d-pad doesn't feel right. It kinda sticks in certain positions.

Any recommendations?
Sega's own six button is one of the best controllers ever made. It has an amazing d-pad. Go with that.

I assumed that the price of Crusader of Centy only went up because of the popularity of the Atlus name. Is it actually a rare title? I have a copy, but I purchased it way back in the 90's (woah!) from a rental shop that was getting rid of all their old Genesis games. The copy I have is hardly mint though, and has those damn security stickers over the cartridge. The case is some weird transparent rental case with the original instruction booklet used as the cover.

The game itself was decent Zelda clone as far as Genesis games go, you'd swear that they ripped some of the village BG tiles straight out of Link to the Past. But the game doesn't even come close to the scope or size of Link to the Past in anyway, it's a pretty light RPG that doesn't take to long to play through from start to finish. It feels like it was designed for a younger audience. Land Stalker is a much better game in most every respect (if you can get used to the isometric view). I generally prefer Beyond Oasis over Crusader of Centy as well.

Sega's own six button is one of the best controllers ever made. It has an amazing d-pad. Go with that.

There are actually two different models of the Sega six button control pad:

This one:

Model Number: MK-1653 (in NA and Europe)
genesisb.jpg

And this one:

Model Number: MK-1470 with the turbo/ slow motion switch
genesis_6btn_2.jpg

The MK-1653 was the first official 6 button controller from Sega, that was released around the same time as the Genesis Model 2. The second one is also an officially licensed controller from Sega (It's not a third party controller), but was sold alongside the Model 3 Genesis and manufactured by Majesco in North America. In my opinion, the Majesco controller is OK , but the MK-1653 has a much better D-pad and the buttons feel more responsive to me.

Resetting the damned computer in xmen.

Took me half my life to get the guts to do it. I would always just make it there and let the time run out :^(

Probably not only because of SFII CE, but it was definitely one of the reasons.

yeah, Street Fighter II was a huge deal back then and Sega wanted it on the Genesis too. Initially their 6 button controller was made to please Capcom (it was released at the same time as SF2: CE, after all), but it wasn't the only reason why they created it. There was already a demand from third party developers for Sega to release a controller with more buttons. I guess it was just a really good time to release one.

Also because of Sega's own Eternal Champions which also released in 93.

Well yeah, I guess fighting games were at the apex of their popularity during that time, so they had to release a 6 button controller to be able to capitalize on the genre. But SF2 was still one of the biggest SNES exclusives that Sega wanted on their console at the time, so it was a big factor.

Slermy

Yeah, that's the one I have too! I'll have to check out that link for diffrences as I never experienced any "bad" sound from this unit. Heck, my bro and I would record SoR2's tunes from this jack to Tape/MiniDisc back in the day! ^_^

My paltry collection:

3305897443_4e8bac7b3b_z.jpg

3305897771_768cee37ac_z.jpg

May not be numerous, but that's a high quality collection!

Every few months you get some lucky duck who picks it up for $15 CIB at a flea market. But on eBay? Cart only are selling for $50 ish, right?

I grabbed one off of eBay for around $35 just last year. Even came with a well done custom clamshell case.

Play Final Fight CD if you can. It at least has all three characters.

And its two player and even has a nifty time attack mode. I still have my copy of Final Fight for the Sega CD. But I do not have the Box for this game, because it was one of the few Sega CD titles to be released with a cardboard box instead of a jewel case. I still have the manual in perfect shape though.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
My favorite Genesis games

Castlevania Bloodlines
Aladdin
X-Men
X-Men 2
Jurassic Park
Beyond Oasis
Vector Man
Sonic 1,2,3, and Knuckles
Flashback
Shadowrun
The Adventures of Batman and Robin
Cyborg Justice
Streets of Rage
Mickey Mania
Quackshot
Zero Tolerance
Shining Force

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot, bit those are the ones I fondly remember off the top of my head. I love my Genesis. It's currently in my closet...

Sega Genesis - Playstation were my golden years of gaming. I used to have so much fun with these consoles. Even though today's consoles are 100 times more powerful and my PC is super beast, it's for naught because my childhood is gone.

racerx77

Banned
Nome

(Today, 02:42 AM)

'I played Streets of Rage 2 at a friend's house and become extremely depressed at Fight Fight."

Fight fight? :p

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Yeah, that's the one I have too! I'll have to check out that link for diffrences as I never experienced any "bad" sound from this unit. Heck, my bro and I would record SoR2's tunes from this jack to Tape/MiniDisc back in the day! ^_^

My paltry collection:

3305897443_4e8bac7b3b_z.jpg

JGKlrx7.gif

Paltry? That's freaking Panorama Cotton!

Sorry but that MK1 port was a steaming pile of rubbish. I had the SNES version because it looked better and my friend got the Genesis version because of the blood. I didn't care all that much for the Genesis fatalities because they looked kinda butchered and crappy, most notable is Sub Zeroes spine rip where the victims severed head didn't even face the screen. Sub Zeroes SNES fatality and Raidens fatality were a total upgrade in my book.

The worse offense in the Genesis version was not only the awful filter but the lack of sounds. Where was the announcer? and that music.....

Probe who did the Genesis ports of MK1 and MK2 didn't compare to Sculptured Software work on the SNES. It felt kind of half assed when you have missing sounds effects and the like, just text for endings, none of the pictures, etc. Their effects showed all the worse when Probe was finally dumped and Sculptures handled both the SNES and Genesis version of MK3/UMK3 and did a great job with both.

this thread put me on a genesis kick. watching this cool youtube series telling the early history of the console now, Generation 16. crazy that the hardware came out in 88

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCp8i9lrUh4

There's no excuse for Genesis games not coming in box with manual given the nature of the casing. Those plastic cases are pretty much indestructible. Most everything I have is in box.

for anyone interested, the cover project is a great resource for recreating Genesis boxes. If you get a decent gloss paper, it is nearly indistinguishable from the real thing.

http://www.thecoverproject.net/

just gotta get some throwaway games for the spare cases.

IrishNinja

slowly building my collection! few quick questions for the experts here:

1) this looks interesting, how do you get your genesis to play imports again? is it just game genie codes, or what's the easiest way?

2) so, again, i just setup my dreamcast with VGA > converter > HDMI, bit've trouble but worth it. i'm looking at NES, SNES, Genesis, possibly Saturn etc down the road (hopefully on a nice big CRT) and thinking getting SCRART + converter for everyone of them might add up, would it be worth it instead to save up & track down one of those japanese upscallers? i forget what they're called but i know i've seen them talked about on here.

for anyone interested, the cover project is a great resource for recreating Genesis boxes. If you get a decent gloss paper, it is nearly indistinguishable from the real thing.

http://www.thecoverproject.net/

just gotta get some throwaway games for the spare cases.

absolutely; when i did my NES, SNES, DC & now Genesis games this (after purchasing a bunch of universal game cases) has been my go-to site. they don't have everything bu they're pretty thorough & some even have import cover options. i also don't bother with high-quality/glossy paper myself but ive seen collections that did and i agree, it's hard to tell sometimes.

ps oh man i don't really have anywhere to put it in this apt but i am quite tempted to try to pick this thing up tomorrow

Joining the celebration here. My cousin in England got a Mega Drive 1 (PAL Genesis) for Christmas one year (I had a Master System II), and she got Sonic 2, Sonic and a triple game cartridge with Streets of Rage on it. We played on it for hours on end. We used to swap who would be Sonic and Tails. In Streets of Rage we used to either go on the higher or lower part of the screen to avoid damaging each other. So many great memories!

Man I miss the ninties!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Initially their 6 button controller was made to please Capcom (it was released at the same time as SF2: CE, after all)
The first game I know of that utilized 6-button controls was Ranger-X, and that predated SF2:SCE by about 4 months.

1) this looks interesting, how do you get your genesis to play imports again? is it just game genie codes, or what's the easiest way?
If you want to play JP carts on a different region console, you either need to physically modify the cartridge slot so that they fit, or buy a pass-through cartridge of some kind (Game Genie would suffice).

Region-locking itself is enforced on a game by game basis. Generally speaking, most early games won't have any region-locking programmed into the cart, but most later games will. I believe Game Genie codes can get around it for games that have it, but I wouldn't be able to tell you where to look to find them.

smbu2000

2) so, again, i just setup my dreamcast with VGA > converter > HDMI, bit've trouble but worth it. i'm looking at NES, SNES, Genesis, possibly Saturn etc down the road (hopefully on a nice big CRT) and thinking getting SCRART + converter for everyone of them might add up, would it be worth it instead to save up & track down one of those japanese upscallers? i forget what they're called but i know i've seen them talked about on here.
My JP Mega Drive 1 was modded by the previous owner to be able to switch between JP NTSC and US NTSC. That's one of the reasons I bought it.

As for an up converter the Micomsoft XRGB mini framemeister is probably the best one for older game systems.

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/framemeister.html

It is a bit expensive though. I'd like to get one myself so I can play games on my CRT or plasma tv.

wondermega

I would pay top $ for Herzog Zwei on the PSN. No change in the graphics or sound (don't screw with the amazing soundtrack), just add online abilities, 16:9 support and no slowdown with max enemies. Another option would be to increase total number of units in some modes, that would be crazy.

why can't this happen :(

Yes I know Air Mech Blah blah blah

Oemenia

Banned
When it comes to SHMUPs and side-scrolling action games, the Mega Drive is a beast. The system had a cult following in Japan and it showed in its library of games.

Top Bottom