• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female Police Captian Suspended after "White Male Privilege" remark

Dunki

I didn't see the video, but from what I read she was just making a point. How much someone gets offended or takes that is on them. A better person would handle it instead of being a whiner. Don't try to make this a one glove fits all situation, it's not. Giving respect when someone might not deserve it is part of being an adult, and works better than what happened here. Don't forget, these people are supposed to be trained in deescalation as well

No she did not make a point. The guy asked lquestions because he did not understand where she was coming from and to shut him up without any argumentation she used this stupid phrase. It was not to make a point but to silence him

T.v

Neither of them come across in a good light here. Him for ignoring statistics in the most boneheaded way, and acting like a child afterwards. Her for trying to shut down the conversation that way. His "white male privile" wasn't even the problem here. There is a definite issue with white male privilege. It's not racist nor sexist to point that out, but too often is it used to shut down any conversation. Completely unneccesary to suspend her though.

BANGS

Banned
How is this even up for debate? She dismissed his stupid words with equally stupid words(which happen to discriminate based on sex and gender). She is in the wrong without question...

Neither of them come across in a good light here. Him for ignoring statistics in the most boneheaded way, and acting like a child afterwards. Her for trying to shut down the conversation that way. His "white male privile" wasn't even the problem here. There is a definite issue with white male privilege. It's not racist nor sexist to point that out, but too often is it used to shut down any conversation. Completely unneccesary to suspend her though.

People who ignore facts shouldn’t be shut down? Lol

This is a fairly normal response to an accusation of discrimination in the workplace. She'll be suspended (with pay, I expect) pending an investigation into the alleged behaviour. Either the complaint will be upheld or it won't. The fact she is suspended is not itself a judgement, which seems to be the bit people struggle with.

With respect to the clip itself, what she gave was a bad answer to a question she should have anticipated. It will likely go viral in all the wrong ways, and no one will learn anything.

How is "white male privilege" in any way shape or form racist/sexist? Lmao
Was the guy not white and male?

How is it not? Down the checklist, generalizing, stereotyping deducing a person on an imaginary scoreboard of suffering. It's pretty racist. Intellectually lazy and ignorant as fuck.

The dominating demographic in most countries all over the world, are privileged over minorities. Because those who have the power are usually carried by a majority of their own kind who identify with them. And in that way, you see minorities being second class citizens regardless of where you go. That aspect of socio-power dynamics are not due to the melanin in the skin.

So "white privilege" completely misses the point, and just seems petty and laughable to actually argue that a homeless white man should think about how privileged he is compared to a homeless black man. It's beyond splitting hairs in a contest of who has the worst life, ignoring all the other factors that cause people misery. It's so fucking stupid and childish.

MEsoJD

Banned
Her approach could have been better, but she isn't wrong. There are those that are oblivious to their own inherent privilege in society and as a result, are blind to certain persistent problems.

MEsoJD

Banned
How is it not? Down the checklist, generalizing, stereotyping deducing a person on an imaginary scoreboard of suffering. It's pretty racist. Intellectually lazy and ignorant as fuck.

The dominating demographic in most countries all over the world, are privileged over minorities. Because those who have the power are usually carried by a majority of their own kind who identify with them. And in that way, you see minorities being second class citizens regardless of where you go. That aspect of socio-power dynamics are not due to the melanin in the skin.

So "white privilege" completely misses the point, and just seems petty and laughable to actually argue that a homeless white man should think about how privileged he is compared to a homeless black man. It's beyond splitting hairs in a contest of who has the worst life, ignoring all the other factors that cause people misery. It's so fucking stupid and childish.

You seem to miss the point. Everyone doesn't start at the same position within society. Everyone just can't work hard and expect to receive the same reward. Your race, people you know, family, city, etc... all can have a profound impact on treatment and reward from others. So if you are White, you are in better position in terms of acquiring a job, better treatment from the law, and etc by perception.
Yes, there are other factors attributed to success and misery, but race unfortunately is still a big one that can't be ignored.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Statistically, in the given context, being white is a privilege, while being male is the exact opposite (with two times stronger effect).

As far as incarceration goes, "privileges" (systemic bias against or in favor) look like this:

white women > black women > white men > black men
(Hispanic are above black but below whites, I think it's irrelevant in this thread)

RfuXHj6.png

This alone does not, of course, give us exact picture (things such as "is it first time" etc need to be taken into account) but from what I recall, white <> black gap is 20% in white favor, while male <> female (across all races) is at about 40%+. Interested could dig here.

Would you look up violent crime rates too?

Zog

Banned
You seem to miss the point. Everyone doesn't start at the same position within society. Everyone just can't work hard and expect to receive the same reward. Your race, people you know, family, city, etc... all can have a profound impact on treatment and reward from others. So if you are White, you are in better position in terms of acquiring a job, better treatment from the law, and etc by perception.
Yes, there are other factors attributed to success and misery, but race unfortunately is still a big one that can't be ignored.

Treating people differently based on their skin color is racism.You don't do that do you? You don't assume that a white man is automatically privileged and should be treated differently do you?

sans_pants

avec_pénis

what the fuck are you talking about?

Belstras

It is if you are a privileged white male hitting downwards from a high position to trivialize or dismiss transgenders struggles. So he used his white privilege to get rid of dissent.

It is if you are a privileged white male hitting downwards from a high position to trivialize or dismiss transgenders struggles. So he used his white privilege to get rid of dissent.

Can you explain that in more detail please, I genuinely don't understand your point.

Belstras

Can you explain that in more detail please, I genuinely don't understand your point.

It said in the report that he said people he knew (his wife) didn't experience violence, suggesting that the report of transgenders are being victims of more violence, not being a real thing.

llien

There is a definite issue with white male privilege. It's not racist nor sexist to point that out, but too often is it used to shut down any conversation. .

In my humble opinion, context matters a lot. If you speak about entire groups, stating generalizations based on statistical facts is OK, that's what such stats inherently are.
Applying "you belong to group A, hence you are" against particular individual is not.

You can't wrong individual for having certain skin color, even if it is white.

It is so strikingly similar to "class guilt" concept in early USSR times, it hurts.

Dunki

"youre white and male and your personal perspective has blind spots"

what a nightmare

That is not the problem.

You are holding some sort of presntation to make people aware and when people do not understand and asking something you not only trying to silence them with this supid phrase you also try to make them the cause of the current situation.

It is not a nightmare but utterly stupid to do this. You maybe can do this in your social studies classes but the real world is a different kind of place and many students will experience this and hopefully they will become more aware of reality.

I'm not questioning any of those things. I'm saying it's fucking stupid to build a narrative like this that only works in the context of power structures in western socities, when the exact same shit is going on else where. It fucking sucks being a minority in China, or Turkey, or Kenya, or Myanmar.

I'm not driving a fucking boot straps argument nor am I trying to wash away that it sucks being a minority in the western world. But as a term, white privilege is an idea that it's race that matters, when thats not true. It's not the race that matters, because the root causes of discrimination echoes the same, regardless if it's discrimination over race, or religion, or political belief or sexual orientation.

It's the same construct that plays the predominately majority led powerful groups of people in non-white societies to do the exact same thing. I'm not saying that white people are "off the hook because people are shitty elsewhere, but I am saying that it's a racist statement that ignores the deeper sociological factors about how less popular groups are suppressed- Regardless of where they are.
So when you see someone babble about white privilege it sounds uneducated as fuck, as well as someone who is ignorant about the world at large.

T.v

In my humble opinion, context matters a lot. If you speak about entire groups, stating generalizations based on statistical facts is OK, that's what such stats inherently are.
Applying "you belong to group A, hence you are" against particular individual is not.

You can't wrong individual for having certain skin color, even if it is white.

It is so strikingly similar to "class guilt" concept in early USSR times, it hurts.

I agree that it is wrong to wrong an individual based on the colour of their skin. Even if it's white. And making broad judgements in that way. But acknowledging white privilege is not necessarily that. It's OK to realize the position you are in, and accept that it might deprive you of context, so you can broaden your vision. Holding this privilege against someone, however, is a problem. That's when it starts to devolve into racism and sexism. That's what the woman in this case did, and what people so often do by dismissing others by throwing around the term "white male privilege".

The Lamp

Good.

Attacks of whites, especially straight white males, has to be pushed back.

Theirs a legion of leftist white soy boy progressives lining up to hate their own sex/race.

Persecution complex.

Belittling and attacking people is bad, but acknowledging white male privilege (which is a sociological thing that is real) is important and true.

Dismissing a statistic because shitty, individual anecdotes seemingly contradict it is also bad and ignorant as a police officer.

But the alt-right fans hiding in the depths have come out now that people with educated thoughts like stump have left.

In a weird way, pushing and perpetuating the idea of “white privilege” is straight out of the white supremacist’s playbook. I mean, the Neo-Nazi’s argument is pretty much, “I’m white, therefore I’m privileged. And I want more whites to acknowledge this privilege as well.” Only distinction I can find is that the Neo-Nazi lacks the guilt.

Silencing someone based on an immutable characteristic such as race is, by definition, racist. It’s an ad hominem argument and incredibly condescending to the very people you’re supposedly defending. No amount of rhetorical sleight of hand will change that.

Good.

Attacks of whites, especially straight white males, has to be pushed back.

Theirs a legion of leftist white soy boy progressives lining up to hate their own sex/race.

Those poor white people. :/

I also see this 'soy boy' term is catching on with the completely not-racist new posters.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Absolutely inappropriate to say this in a professional forum. Internet terminology has consequences in "the real world". If I was in a meeting with my bosses and someone used this term to belittle another I would expect some disciplinary action as well. Not termination, but certainly some retraining. Is this on the same level as someone saying "yeah, fuck those n*****s!", totally not (that would be an on the spot termination in my book) but it still isn't ok.

Zog

Banned
Absolutely inappropriate to say this in a professional forum. Internet terminology has consequences in "the real world". If I was in a meeting with my bosses and someone used this term to belittle another I would expect some disciplinary action as well. Not termination, but certainly some retraining. Is this on the same level as someone saying "yeah, fuck those n*****s!", totally not (that would be an on the spot termination in my book) but it still isn't ok.

Do you think that her strongly believing that white heterosexual males have privilege can affect her ability to treat white heterosexual males fairly as a police captain?

The Lamp

In a weird way, pushing and perpetuating the idea of “white privilege” is straight out of the white supremacist’s playbook. I mean, the Neo-Nazi’s argument is pretty much, “I’m white, therefore I’m privileged. And I want more whites to acknowledge this privilege as well.” Only distinction I can find is that the Neo-Nazi lacks the guilt.

Silencing someone based on an immutable characteristic such as race is, by definition, racist. It’s an ad hominem argument and incredibly condescending to the very people you’re supposedly defending. No amount of rhetorical sleight of hand will change that.

White privilege is not just some internet term, it's a sociological concept.

And her response was a reaction to some police officer saying he doesn't agree with a statistic just because he hasn't experienced it himself.

Dunki

White privilege is not just some internet term, it's a sociological concept.

And her response was a reaction to some police officer saying he doesn't agree with a statistic just because he hasn't experienced it himself.

Her reaction was a stupid atempt to shut him down without any argumentation. Like she really thought this kind of thing will work in real life.

PtM

Banned
So the guy doesn't know anybody who's been part of police violence but somehow thinks he's got something to say about police violence against transgender people?

Ubername

Banned
So the guy doesn't know anybody who's been part of police violence but somehow thinks he's got something to say about police violence against transgender people?

So you need to have committed an act of police violence or known someone who has to comment on it? You don't have to be implicated in something to have an opinion on it.

Dude Abides

Banned
So you need to have committed an act of police violence or known someone who has to comment on it? You don't have to be implicated in something to have an opinion on it.

His comment was I don’t believe you about police violence against transgender people because that didn’t happen to my wife. It was completely asinine.

Funny that people get off on that, what a gross comment. Delicious?? Wow.

If your knee-jerk reaction to being told that you have an advantage in life that others don't have is to become extremely defensive and lash out against people who are regularly left in the dust and more often than not actively hurt thanks to your privileged position, I have every right to sip some motherfuckin tea.

Stay fragile, my friend.

Heath V

If your knee-jerk reaction to being told that you have an advantage in life that others don't have is to become extremely defensive and lash out against people who are regularly left in the dust and more often than not actively hurt thanks to your privileged position, I have every right to sip some motherfuckin tea.

Stay fragile, my friend.

I'm not fragile in the least sorry to burst your little bubble. And delicious, do you seriously talk like that in real life?

And MY privileged position? Do you know me or anything about me? Sorry but I had to bust my ass for everything I've ever earned.

Top Bottom