• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guillermo del Toro confirms he will not be collaborating with Kojima on Silent Hills

Man this sucks Silent Hills was probably going to be something incredible. I hope that Guillermo can put out at least one video game in his life

BibiMaghoo

What are you doing Konami. I've never seen a publisher fuck themselves over so much in such a small amount of time. It's impressively stupid.

TomShoe

Banned
sad-depressed-yoda-disappointed-the-empire-strikes-back.gif

Konami has lost my business. I will buy MGS V used. They won't be seeing a cent from me ever again. The pure hubris on their part, it's disgusting.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Ah well, a collaboration between Kojima and Del Toro was just too good to be true.

Reedirect

Expected, but still disappointing. What a great fuckin' way to follow up one of the best, if not the best game announcement of all time.

So does this mean just Del Toro/Kojima version of Silent Hill is dead - or there's no new Silent Hill game at all?

The way this reads to me is that Konami is just gonna go and make their own game the way they usually do. Will probably be shit I guess

Fitts

After Kojima's departure it's better this way. Also, there's nothing stopping the two from collaborating on an original IP under a different banner, is there?

I'm really really surprised Sony isnt trying to step in and pick this up.

1. It's not their IP.
2. They already have a horror IP of their own unutilised. (Siren)
3. This game is probably so early in development that by picking it up, Sony's essentially paying almost all the bills for the game.
4. Who's going to make it? At this point, Konami clearly doesn't want to waste development resources on non-MGS stuff.

ranmafan

Ok, reading that now, even though it's pretty much expected to happen given all the things going on behind the scenes, it's still probably one of the most dissapointing bit of video game news I've heard in quite a while. PT was such a remarkable demo, and brought such an excitement about what could happen in a full game that to hear it won't happen, is a real downer. There really needs to be some explaining going on now. I wish someone would get to the bottom of all this and get the real scoop about what's going on in konami.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So, to put into perspective how terrible this is for everyone...

-Kojima, film aficionado, finally gets the chance to work with a well known actor (Norman Reedus) and film director (Del Toro). Basically a step up from simply hiring Kiefer to act in his game - this was going to be a real game/movie collaboration. Years after wanting to get into film and make games into their own art form, he finally got his chance to cross the streams - and it was pulled from under him.

-This is the second time Del Toro has had a game pulled out from under him. He is obviously bummed about it.

-Silent Hill fans had something to look forward to. They were going to get a mainline, console AAA title for the first time in a while. Not anymore.

-PT was hailed as one of PS4's greatest "games". Everyone was looking forward to it, and the teaser was a great use of marketing and a great way to give us a taste of what was to come. So, after having that carrot dangled in front of us, we are now forbidden from ever obtaining it.

-From a business perspective, this was likely going to make Konami a lot of money. I'm armchair analyzing here, but Del Toro + Kojima + Reedus + well known, established franchise seems like a very lucrative proposition to me. Konami likely shot themselves in the foot over an internal dispute.

This sucks. Plain and simple.

SkylineRKR

This is the end for Konami as games producer then. MGSV was already far in development so we still get it, but after that I guess its done.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Nowadays it goes like this:

Square Enix >> Capcom >>> turd >>> Konami

At least Square Enix is trying to redeem themselves nowadays.

Yeah, pretty much a given after all of the Kojima/Konami stuff went down.

Still a shame. At least we'll always have P.T. (Unless you haven't downloaded it yet, heh.)

A12832518-148.jpg

I feel like Konami is done with video games in like 2 years or so. They threw the last ounces of anything regarding a following down the toilet with the rhythm game fans and the Kojima debacle.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Have not played P.T. Yet, but I added it via the browser to get it when I get a PS4, but from what I have seen of it, it looked really well done and fully thought out. It sucks for the people working on it, full effects of worker's alienation is tough.

J_Ark

Unbelievable... *Looks at Suikoden II, Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles, Silent Hill 2 on the shelves.

*sigh

Top Bottom