• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII Versus outfit designer lists game as Final Fantasy XV (15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Mainline games tend to sell more but I think Versus could be an exception due to how well known the name is. I mean 7 years...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Considering there have been 3 FFXIII games starring Lightning and company, keeping XIII in the title is silly. Versus XIII is something else, and without knowing what it is it sounds like a fighting game featuring XIII characters. You could argue that people already know about it, or that marketing would obviously show people otherwise, but it's not a good idea to give a game a title that you have to work against. Especially since the idea behind the FNC mythos collapsed due to XIII's poor reception and Versus taking so long. With the original idea behind the name no longer being relevant, there's little incentive not to rename it.

The game definitely seems ambitious enough to be "deserving" of it's own numeral, whatever the hell that even means. It would definitely pick up the most attention that way, and if they don't have a proper XV lined up to be released in the near future (and assuming Versus is potentially a near future release, lulz) XV would make sense.

I also don't see it remaining exclusive to PS3, and being exclusively next-gen would be a slap in the face to people who already bought one console with this game in mind (though buying a console for an unreleased game is always a bad idea).

A name change to XV would reflect very poorly on Square and their confidence in the brand. It would basically be admitting their development cycles are such a mess that they can't get by without an artificial rebranding which brings a shitton of new, negative implications.

Dropping the XIII is perfectly fine though.

A name change to XV would reflect very poorly on Square and their confidence in the brand. It would basically be admitting their development cycles are such a mess that they can't get by without an artificial rebranding which brings a shitton of new, negative implications.

It's a number, the vast majority of the public likely won't care, nor do they have any real reason to. Regardless of whether they change the name or not or the way they think it may be perceived, there's already clear evidence that their development cycle up to this point has been a near complete shambles. They've already hit rock bottom *knocks on wood*

Eusis

It doesnt matter what you think "that noise" is. they are games that require development time and money. we got 5 Final Fantasy games on PS2 and 5 out or on the way for PS3. its the same.
Strictly from the viewpoint of "I'd like to see a trilogy each generation" no, they don't matter. I'll note this IS vain and superficial and not a serious concern, but none of them are proper numbered installments, at best being direct sequels to one of those proper numbered installments.

However from a less vain/superficial viewpoint, each of those mainline numbered games were the biggest deal relative to their generation and for FF: they have the most money blown on them, and are hyped up to be a big deal. This another way vsXIII makes sense as FFXV, FFT and its ilk undoubtedly had a much smaller budget than VII-IX while X-2, XIII-2, and LR are made via recycling assets on a short development timeframe and likely a smaller budget. Type-0's probably closer to being a major mainline game than they are, but FFvsXIII is the closest of them all.

And like said, this is basically the Ultima "trilogy of trilogies" thing, and BOTH angles apply there: Ultima Underworld doesn't count, the GB/SNES spin-offs don't, and Ultima VII Part 2 can be treated as just an extension of VII much like FFX-2 and FFXIII-2/LR can be treated as extensions of FFX and FFXIII respectively. That, and each of those numbered games were big deals for their time: I believe from Ultima IV or V onwards they were all on new engines, and while FF typically doesn't go THAT far each mainline game is a high budget creation from the ground up more or less.

Valnen

A name change to XV would reflect very poorly on Square and their confidence in the brand.

Only in the eyes of people that actually care about that kind of thing, which is what, like 20 people? The rest of us just want the game, regardless of it's irrelevant title.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Nobody outside of enthusiast forums like GAF is going to think this at all.

Nobody outside of enthusiast forums like GAF is going to think this at all.

How many people in GAF even cares about that? Like one person?

The FF brand is already broken right now anyway. THe numerous gradually worse selling spinoffs diluted it like crazy and then FFXIII and XIV came and smashed it to bits. Square Enix Japan is rock bottom right now and they really aren't about to drop much further.

And who doesn't know their development cycles are a mess?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah, ever single person I've talked to that doesn't frequent video game enthusiast websites has never even heard of it in the first place.

Everyone I've talked to about it who doesn't fit that criteria either doesn't know it exists or thinks it's Dissidia.

zroid

Banned
as much as this felt inevitable, seeing a mainline numbered Final Fantasy as an action RPG kind of saddens me

but I suppose that sentiment really has no place in a world where FFXI and XIV exist.

It's a number, the vast majority of the public likely won't care, nor do they have any real reason to. Regardless of whether they change the name or not or the way they think it may be perceived, there's already clear evidence that their development cycle up to this point has been a near complete shambles. They've already hit rock bottom *knocks on wood*

It's not just that. There's a lot of implications involved that would definitely have mixed reception. The mainline series going full ARPG would signify a change in the direction of the series that could alienate some fans, especially if it's a one time thing which will just cause a bigger split for XVI.

It could also mean that Square has done absolutely nothing internally on consoles while making this money sink and a few MMOs. That means no XVI for a while, so those holding out for a type of game are shit out of luck for another 4-5 years.

Then of course there's the possibility stuff had to be changed to erase all Fabula Nova references, potentially delaying the game more than it needed to be. It may not happen, but the game has been hyped up as an FNC entry for a while, so it's a no-win situation whether they keep or erase it.

Then of course there's the fact the mysterious allure of a new Final Fantasy is completely gone. Won't mean much when it's out, but for those that have been hyping it up for 6 years, it seems almost redundant to get excited at this point.

It's just a mess all around.

Midou

I think it could be spun very positively, 'we really made the game stand on it's own, it's beyond a simple spin-off, it's a full blown Final Fantasy title, etc'. Would be great PR as far as I can see.

Soriku

I know it's for PS4 Ò_Ó

I know it's for PS3.

Fight me.

I think it could be spun very positively, 'we really made the game stand on it's own, it's beyond a simple spin-off, it's a full blown Final Fantasy title, etc'. Would be great PR as far as I can see.

I think everyone already knows it's more than just a simple spinoff already.

It's not just that. There's a lot of implications involved that would definitely have mixed reception. The mainline series going full ARPG would signify a change in the direction of the series that could alienate some fans, especially if it's a one time thing which will just cause a bigger split for XVI.

It could also mean that Square has done absolutely nothing internally on consoles while making this money sink and a few MMOs. That means no XVI for a while, so those holding out for a type of game are shit out of luck for another 4-5 years.

Then of course there's the possibility stuff had to be changed to erase all Fabula Nova references, potentially delaying the game more than it needed to be. It may not happen, but the game has been hyped up as an FNC entry for a while, so it's a no-win situation whether they keep or erase it.

Then of course there's the fact the mysterious allure of a new Final Fantasy is completely gone. Won't mean much when it's out, but for those that have been hyping it up for 6 years, it seems almost redundant to get excited at this point.

It's just a mess all around.

XI and XIV being MMO's didn't seem to irk players that much in retrospect (the deplorable state of XIV's launch, though unrelated to its simply being an MMO, notwithstanding). The rest of this can be chalked up to overblown hype. We've had all but 2 trailers on this game, the last of which was years ago. Anything we might have known about this game is likely gone by now, making it for all intents and purposes "new."

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Awful and definitely takes away any excitement I feel from any numbered Final Fantasies from here on. If it ends up basically a re reveal of the same world and characters but now with better visuals... I'll be speechless. Part of the excitement is being introduced to something new. Versus lost that benefit a long time ago.

Zukuu

Banned

No need for it. For "casuals" / non FF-fanataics renaming it to FF15 has no impact at all. The opposite in fact, for the "normal gamer" FFv13 would just seem like the THIRD sequel to FF13. And for the rest, it's just the most reasonable thing. The 13-stigma is way too grave. Even Square knows at this point that their "Lightning Saga" (lol) is very controversial.
Then again, Square didn't do any logical thing in the past 10 years.

duckroll

None of those are implications. They're all fact. Lol. Might as well admit it? :p

caffeware

Banned
Noctis orgy?

tumblr_lp6jzxFJrB1qbj65y.gif

Narolf

Banned
Spring is coming
1363408010-30jpnib.gif
Of course, when Versus comes out, that waveform will have to collapse, and the perfection that can only exist in our imaginations could be destroyed easily, just as it has been countless times in the past in Star Wars, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy VII, or elsewhere. Nobody wants answers. They want a premise, a promise, a world they can occupy filled with new places to discover and new possibilities to be realized.

What's in a name? Agito XIII became Type-0 and nobody cared.

I think people are over-thinking a potential name change - and the game would probably sell more as a mainline title than with the XIII branding, which is frankly a little toxic.
Spring is coming
Winter is coming.

Blader

So? It's been six years since the game was announced and there has been just about fuck all shown or said about it since. Renaming the game isn't exactly ruining their spotless track record here.

Exentryk

If this is true, then it is a very good move by SE. Also, Versus will still be on the PS3. Calling it XV doesnt mean it becomes the PS4 FF that Hashimoto will show at E3.

Also, perhaps ROEN saw that fake video last year about Versus being renamed to FFXV and they changed their site, but forgot to change it back? I know we don't have enough details as to when and how often the site was changed, but it is a possibility.

Anyhow! The implication this has now, if true, is that SE have to announce Versus's name change between now and E3, so they can show off their FFXVI on the PS4.

noffles

Banned
If this happens and it ends up being Ps4 exclusive, Microsoft can go and suck some other consumer's dick. Mine will be off limits.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
So, Ashcraft was partially right when he said this?
Another source tells Kotaku that, a few months back, Final Fantasy Versus XIII's development and resources had actually been folded into another game, which is to be the next numeric Final Fantasy title, Final Fantasy XV. Whether this meant actual game assets and code or simply the movement of staff was unclear. This information was independently corroborated by yet another source, though it's important to note both had learned of the "folding" prior to the more recent news of its outright cancellation.

The Final Fantasy XIII branded types have not been set in stone: another spinoff title Final Fantasy Agito XIII had its name changed to Final Fantasy Type-0. So what was originally planned as an entire mini-franchise by Square, with multiple titles spanning various platforms, looks now to be focused on the adventures of Lightning.

Whether it's been cancelled entirely or had resources absorbed into a newer, larger project, the game we once knew as Final Fantasy Versus XIII would seem to be no more. Even if Final Fantasy Versus XIII has been cancelled, I'm inclined to believe that whatever Versus was, or whatever had been created for the game, will turn up in some form in Final Fantasy XV. Surely, Square Enix would not cancel a game and completely dump all the work it's done? Right?

Shinta

Banned
Shows they are taking distance from FNC, which no longer exists at this point.
FNC exists. Not sure where you got the idea that it doesn't. They changed Type-0's title at the same time that they got the website rights to Type-1, Type-2, Type-3 and so on up to Type-10. It's not really distanced from FNC at all considering it still has the whole mythology woven throughout the entire game. They probably just anticipated that they wanted to make this a whole other spin-off with sequels and having it be FF Agito XIII-2 and so on would be a very unwieldy name.

Versus is heavily FNC unless they changed the whole story around, or changed the names of the gods involved, which they may have if they're changing it to XV. At this point, making it a main numbered entry seems to be more about sales than distancing it from FNC. The trailers have always talked about seeing the light of souls from Etro's gate. The other part in the art gallery shows a painting of Etro front and center, showing more of her than XIII and XIII-2 did.

If they decide to not make Versus part of FNC and rebrand it and alter some of the story, FNC will still be XIII, XIII-2, LR, and Type-0.

Narolf

Banned
FNC exists. Not sure where you got the idea that it doesn't. They changed Type-0's title at the same time that they got the website rights to Type-1, Type-2, Type-3 and so on up to Type-10. It's not really distanced from FNC at all considering it still has the whole mythology woven throughout the entire game. They probably just anticipated that they wanted to make this a whole other spin-off with sequels and having it be FF Agito XIII-2 and so on would be a very unwieldy name.

Versus is heavily FNC unless they changed the whole story around, or changed the names of the gods involved, which they may have if they're changing it to XV. At this point, making it a main numbered entry seems to be more about sales than distancing it from FNC. The trailers have always talked about seeing the light of souls from Etro's gate.

If they decide to not make Versus part of FNC and rebrand it and alter some of the story, FNC will still be XIII, XIII-2, LR, and Type-0.

The mythos are still there, yes, but there no longer is a connection between the games; that's what I've meant.

Shinta

Banned
So, Ashcraft was partially right when he said this?

Their rumor was all over the place. They said it's canceled so the staff is depressed? Then said, maybe it's not canceled it's just a name change. But a name change to XV wouldn't depress anyone.

They had like 3 different contradictory "predictions."

neptunes

I just realized If this is true then FFXVI will be ready just before PS5, that is assuming Agni's philosophy is it own series.

Whompa

A title that comes with a whole lot of baggage. Being the first numbered entry to completely abandon command-based combat is pretty historical for the series and could disappoint quite a few people. May also affect future developments.

It's been 6+ years. I'd put down money that nobody remembers and most people who aren't immediately connected to videogame news cares either.

Hell, I've been addicted to the entire concept of this game since it's debut and I don't even care what they call it. As long as it becomes a thing they can call it whatever.

It's been 6+ years. I'd put down money that nobody remembers and most people who aren't immediately connected to videogame news cares either.

Hell, I've been addicted to the entire concept of this game since it's debut and I don't even care what they call it. As long as it becomes a thing they can call it whatever.

But XIII released 3 years ago. People still associate the series with command-based combat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom