• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Eh, fuck it. I'll just wait for Tuesday.

I kind of miss the days of FFX and prior, when you didn't need to try to create a media blackout.

omg rite said:
Eh, fuck it. I'll just wait for Tuesday.

I kind of miss the days of FFX and prior, when you didn't need to try to create a media blackout.

Yea, I've had to actively avoid anything in regards to the plot. I remember with FFX the only thing I knew leading up to release was that it was coming out.

Feel like its been forever since that E3 trailer. I'm beyond excited and I'm always excited for a FF game. While I love XII, XIII looks a return to the ways of FFX, my favorite FF.

Swag

Dresden said:
I thought it was an American doing a very bad impression of one. :lol

Watching the GT review and they have her in almost every section :lol, I don't think it's that bad :x.

I've never met anyone from Australia though

Dresden said:
I thought it was an American doing a very bad impression of one. :lol
Apparently, it's an Australian doing an impression of a Japanese woman, if the Active Time Babble podcast was to be believed. Which is... I don't even... :lol

Cep

Banned
All I know is that Vanille was annoying as fuck in Japanese and is annoying as fuck in English.

Dresden

Cep said:
All I know is that Vanille was annoying as fuck in Japanese and is annoying as fuck in English.
Take that back, fiend!
She sounds horribly annoying but GODDAMN NOM NOM NOMCHAN

Dresden

Teknoman said:
Seems like everyone is doing a midnight launch...which is a first for an FF game in North America...I think.
No, they had one for FFXII. I remember because I went to one, dressed up as a high school student. I even had jeans on. WHOA.

That steel case is still one of the sexiest things I have on my shelf, game-related, by the way... I wish they'd done something similar for FFXIII.

hamchan

Just placed my order. Non Limited Edition since I figured paying an extra $51 (AUD) for LE is no where near worth it.

Sucks that this game is coming out just as I start Uni.

Replicant

Awesome OP Kagari.

Now I have 1 day left to decide if I want the LE or not. I don't have the extra money for LE but I kinda want the artbook.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Dresden said:
No, they had one for FFXII. I remember because I went to one, dressed up as a high school student. I even had jeans on. WHOA.

That steel case is still one of the sexiest things I have on my shelf, game-related, by the way... I wish they'd done something similar for FFXIII.
I think the production cost to do that would be more expensive for SE, not to mention that they would have to have both blu-ray and DVD sized cases for both versions. I'm not sure how they would do the three discs though, or four for 360, since they usually add a BS "making of" DVD thing.

There are four disc versions of steelbooks, but again, too much money for SE this gen.

I'm sure that this has been commented on before, but the English VA for Lightning (which is the same as the E3 trailer, right?) is kind of oddly husky, and I think it would fit much better for Fang, given that she was apparently originally designed as a man. But I much prefer that character as a female, weird Aussie accent and all, so it's all good.

Hope kind of looks like he could have been a thirteen year old girl, though.

Dresden said:
Tell me that's because you were a high school student, and you weren't just being creepy.

Dresden said:
I love that case. Game was worth getting just for the case. So nice.

rataven

Welp, time to sign up for the official thread! Still have this coming day 1, but now I'm not so sure I'm going to want to pause ACII for this. Crazy what the last two months have done for my anticipation.

And nice OP Kagari. As always.

If LA GAF wants to pick it up on Monday, send me a PM and I'll tell you a good spot.

And btw I think it's funny that this us gettng knocked for its linearity while God of War 3 is getting great scores and is linear as hell (Hyped for and buying both myself, no trollng here, just hate double standards).

Dresden

icarus-daedelus said:
I'm sure that this has been commented on before, but the English VA for Lightning (which is the same as the E3 trailer, right?) is kind of oddly husky, and I think it would fit much better for Fang, given that she was apparently originally designed as a man. But I much prefer that character as a female, weird Aussie accent and all, so it's all good.

Hope kind of looks like he could have been a thirteen year old girl, though.

Tell me that's because you were a high school student, and you weren't just being creepy.

I love that case. Game was worth getting just for the case. So nice.
Yeah, it's because I was in high school back then.

I'm still not a big fan of those aussie accents, so any change would've been nice. I still think Serah's VA should have done the voice for Vanille, Laura Bailey does bouncy, cheery types really well.

Watched the GT review, and I'm a bit hyped again. The combat looks sick and wooden dialogue has never stopped me, I even watch anime.

Pappasman

I tried to convince the guy at Fry's to sell me an early copy because he was boasting about how he had a bunch in the back room. He kept telling me to come back on Tuesday so i just bought a wii points card instead.

mr stroke

nice thread

The game could be total shit and it would still be a holiday for me. New FF is always ace. Can't wait until Tues

really hyped :)

polyh3dron said:
And btw I think it's funny that this us gettng knocked for its linearity while God of War 3 is getting great scores and is linear as hell (Hyped for and buying both myself, no trollng here, just hate double standards).
Action games always get a pass for linearity, so that's nothing new, really.

I'm still not a big fan of those aussie accents, so any change would've been nice. I still think Serah's VA should have done the voice for Vanille, Laura Bailey does bouncy, cheery types really well.

Watched the GT review, and I'm a bit hyped again. The combat looks sick and wooden dialogue has never stopped me, I even watch anime.
Yeah, just watched the GT review, and the accents sound really, really odd, at least in the scenes they showed. I didn't think Vanille's narration in the E3 09 trailer sounded that bad; I think it's just that the actress they picked is not good at the excitable stuff, and comes off as obnoxious. We'll see, I guess. I still dig the character designs, so maybe that'll make the medicine go down smoother.

I did cringe at Snow's hero thing (shut up, dammit, where are Fang and Vanille? Sazh? Lightning? Tell me it's not just Snow and Hope for a whole chapter) but years of playing poorly-translated (and even well-translated) video games, not to mention animu, has definitely dulled my expectations for dialogue and I can't muster up the strength to get upset about it when it's wooden. Which is frequent.

Voyevoda007

Neo Member
Let's hope the reviews are wrong on this one. A friend of mine who works at Gamestop said several people cancelled their pre order the last 2 days. Sad how reviews can effect sales.

Dresden

K' Dash said:
I got it yesterday (360) and I just played the first 6 hours and still watching tutorials, the battle system is pretty interesting once it develops, the only con until now is what every reviewer said: too lineal...
We had this happen yesterday, and it didn't end too well...

jibblypop

Banned
I used to hate RPGs but now that I played Dragon Quest, I feel like a huge fan. I wonder if I would like the strange pointy-haired world of Final Fantasy?

Dresden

jibblypop said:
I used to hate RPGs but now that I played Dragon Quest, I feel like a huge fan. I wonder if I would like the strange pointy-haired world of Final Fantasy?
Might as well give the earlier Final Fantasy games a try, it'd certainly be cheaper. Try FFVI, VII, or Tactics, imo.

jibblypop said:
Not all of them feature pointy hair, that's just a particular character designer who did designs for 7, 8, 10, and 13. I dunno which Dragon Quest games you've played, but you may like the older pre-PSX FFs (4 and 6 are popular).

I just watched the GT review and the actual review gave a much more positive impression than the score. It was overwhelmingly positive, and sounded like a 9+ easy. So I'm confused by the score, but more hyped for the game than I was before.

Voyevoda007

Neo Member
You all should watch the invisible wall they have up as well. They talk about the game more and why they gave it that score.

Cep

Banned
Lazy vs Crazy said:
I just watched the GT review and the actual review gave a much more positive impression than the score. It was overwhelmingly positive, and sounded like a 9+ easy. So I'm confused by the score, but more hyped for the game than I was before.

They are the most fair professional reviewers out there, there was plenty in there to warrant that score.

fernoca

Love this video.
(No spoilers..is just the party walking around the map)

Bet it was posted already, but I've been avoiding videos of the game and overall info, just keep an eye on pictures and overall discussion here and there. Decided to look for a video, because a friend and I were wondering if the characters stay with you when joining your party or you "absorb them" like in many RPGs.. :p ..so the video answered that question..and wow..looks big..pretty..and so full of enemies.. :lol

DMeisterJ

Banned
Nice OP Kagari :D

I'm so hyped for this game, Tuesday can not come soon enough. I may have to put BF: BC2 on the back-burner.

To all the people worried and waiting - you will not be disappointed. Just experience this with open mind for what it is - good story, great characters, and OMFG battle system. If you're curious when the "tutorial" part ends -
6 hour
mark. No 15-25h BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom