• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump pitched Republican leaders on a solar-paneled border wall

I like how there really isn't an argument against this outside of the fact that Trump proposed, so it has to be bad.
Apparently solar is bad when Trump wants it.

I like how there really isn't an argument against this outside of the fact that Trump proposed, so it has to be bad.

Why would you root around for a two-week-dead thread where the Simp in Chief managed to get off with a mild guffaw or two successfully, and then not even bother to read it before you post in it? I sure hope whoever wrote your Stump4TrumpAlgo wasn't paid very well.

Why would you root around for a two-week-dead thread where the Simp in Chief managed to get off with a mild guffaw or two successfully, and then not even bother to read it before you post in it? I sure hope whoever wrote your Stump4TrumpAlgo wasn't paid very well.

Well, because it's actually relevant again as he mentioned it publically.

It's a poorly designed solar farm that wouldn't really be efficient

It very well might cost more energy just to maintain them, then is generated

Hyun Sai

I must say, I didn't think about that, like at all. He should patent this and export to the chinese, there is great potential there.

Apart from the panels having to be on the Mexican side, the angle making them highly inefficient, and the cost being insane?

norm9

300a.jpg

How about building a wall from the bodies of 'Murica's enemies?

Apart from the panels having to be on the Mexican side, the angle making them highly inefficient, and the cost being insane?

No it wouldn't? The Sun is good enough that you can get a good amount of energy facing it north.
Second, you obviously wouldn't have on the face of the wall. What you do is you add a slope atop the wall and place the panels on that.

The issue, the cost obviously. But, you can build the wall and attach the panels at a later date as well as look into researching a more cost effective solar panel

KingV

It's a poorly designed solar farm that wouldn't really be efficient

It very well might cost more energy just to maintain them, then is generated

Ok well, there is ONE argument against it, but just because something is a fucking dumb idea doesn't mean it's a a bad idea. /s

Sincerely,

johnnyalive

Mike M

Nick N
No it wouldn't? The Sun is good enough that you can get a good amount of energy facing it north.
Second, you obviously wouldn't have on the face of the wall. What you do is you add a slope atop the wall and place the panels on that.

The issue, the cost obviously. But, you can build the wall and attach the panels at a later date as well as look into researching a more cost effective solar panel
Or, you know, build a solar farm without the ridiculous fucking wall that will never exist.

Trump trying to appeal to the public but this shit isn't gonna fly. This so called wall will never be built.

In other news this has been the quietest week for this god awful administration. Maybe a megaton incoming?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

The wall in general is a stupid idea because it has to go over all manner of inhospitable terrain that is not at all made for building large structures. You have to go over mountain ranges, through swamp lands and desserts and all this in places where there is barely anyone there, let alone the infrastructure to support building a wall. Then there is staffing said 2000 mile wall. Then there is upkeep and where all these people are going to live. Are they going to build entire new towns in the middle of nowhere to support this thing? Let's also not forget those people like certain Native American tribes that have land that stretches from Mexico to the US who abhor the fucking thing. Throwing solar panels onto the fucking thing just adds another layer of complexity to a rubix's cube with a thousand faces.

There are so many gigantic logistical issues alone that make the idea totally bone headed and that's not even getting into the horribly racist and xenophobic idea behind it.

Then what use is it putting the panels on a wall? Could just as well build an ordinary array where the panels are angled optimally.

Because if it's being build, you can make even more use out of it.

Unless you actually know something about solar energy or architecture, why the hell should I listen to you? I've seen actual people who work in the industry call this idea stupid and inefficient and explain why online, why should I not believe them?

I studied economics, you know how many stupid ideas about economics I hear every day from people who have no idea what they're talking about?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Unless you actually know something about solar energy or architecture, why the hell should I listen to you? I've seen actual people who work in the industry call this idea stupid and inefficient and explain why online, why should I not believe them?

Because like most things, what do the experts really fucking know anyways?

NimbusD

you know what? why don't we stick free healthcare and money plants on it too! It'll surely work because those are good things so now you can't say the wall is bad!

greepoman

Because if it's being build, you can make even more use out of it.

As people have pointed out it's cheaper to just build a wall and solar farms separately and you don't gain anything by putting them together and it would cost quite a bit more to build them together.

Even if for some magical reason you're able to build the solar wall the main problem is trying to maintenance and distribution of energy over such long distances. Maintenance men might drive hundreds of miles a day to perform repairs.

In case anybody hasn't pointed this out, this wouldn't work. Solar works best when it is local, which is why we don't just put solar farms all over the dessert and power the rest of the civilized world. Electricity is expensive and wasteful to transmit long distances without very powerful, sophisticated infrastructure.... Which we don't have in the desolate, remote American southwest.

Dryk

The reason that rooftop solar is a good idea is because all of the land in inner cities is being used for something. If you're out in the desert it's a lot more efficient to build a solar power plant behind the wall and some transmission lines. That is of course assuming that the solar panels are being used to power the wall.

Top Bottom