• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece is the 3rd highest selling comic of all time

LotusHD

Banned
One Piece is basically the X-Men but with goofy pirates.

Hmm, well pirates are pretty persecuted lol

---

Zombies get no love either

aIaFk.gif

I mean really what I love most about it is that it's a long form adventure serial. Nobody makes those anymore. It's like going back to being a kid every time I read a new chapter and seeing what amazing new place they're gonna go and thing they're gonna do.

MisterHero

I imagine Superman and Batman would increase if their books had greater scope with dozens if not hundreds of DC Universe characters. Also maybe if DC didn't put out so many titles.

Congratulations to One Piece I guess

Have you ever considered picking up an actual book that doesn't come with pictures?

Like I spend enough time in the one piece and Dragonball threads that shouldn't go throwing stones in glass house, etc, but come on.

What makes you think he doesn't? You can read manga and books too!

Wamb0wneD

I watched a couple episodes and wasn't impressed. What makes it so beloved? I'm not being snarky I'm actually curious.

There isn't a single manga with such intricate world building and sheer quantitiy of interesting/fun characters. The creativity is off the roof in this thing. It get's better the longer you read.

Punching Arlong is one of the most GOAT scene.
One of the moments that gave me the most chills in One Piece on my last read was:
http://comicsalliance.com/files/2014/03/OnePiece06.jpg
Luffy vs Arlong is still my favorite fight from the series.
Luffy vs Krieg and Luffy vs Arlong are masterclasses in how to tell story and convey messages through combat.
East Blue is on par with anything else in the series as far as I'm concerned.

LotusHD

Banned
Back when I was first getting into OP I had a friend explain Lasso the Dog to me.

It's a gun that somehow ate the Dog Fruit, so now it's a gun dog, and it shoots baseballs out of its nose.

(I love that we still don't have the full answer on how that works. Vegapunk!)

We still have not seen Vegapunk. That's another thing about this series. I could easily list 20+ things that I've been looking forward to, stuff that has taken or will take years for it to come into fruition. Where you can take a good guess at what the next couple of arcs will be. There's even a Chekov's Gun situation in the current arc that is only just now finally about to be utilized... probably. When I read other stuff, I'm more in the moment of it all. With One Piece, I'm also looking ahead, whether it be theorizing about this or that, or waiting for a character to finally reveal themselves. It adds to the experience.

Oh, I get it.

Hm?

RiZ III

By far the most creative work of fiction I've encountered. Sometimes I'm just in awe watching it when I think about the fact that almost everything is basically from one dude's mind. Well deserved.

Wamb0wneD

Hmm, well pirates are pretty persecuted lol

---

Zombies get no love either

aIaFk.gif

Thriller Bark suffered the most when it comes to anime implementation artstyle wise. All these nice shadows. Was something completly else than the ususal style for the entire arc and they botched it completly in the anime...

aBarreras

We still have not seen Vegapunk. That's another thing about this series. I could easily list 20+ things that I've been looking forward to, stuff that has taken or will take years for it to come into fruition. Where you can take a good guess at what the next couple of arcs will be. There's even a Chekov's Gun situation in the current arc that is only just now finally about to be utilized... probably. When I read other stuff, I'm more in the moment of it all. With One Piece, I'm also looking ahead, whether it be theorizing about this or that, or waiting for a character to finally reveal themselves. It adds to the experience.

i mean,
Sanji
being royal blood was first teased as back as arabasta arc, god damn!

A slightly hilarious aspect in this is that One Piece having a shot is at least partially down to how American comic sales have so severely flagged since the 1990s. Outside of the first few weeks, a comic is incredibly lucky to hold it's head above 100k monthly. Trades do alright, but they don't sell anything like One Piece volumes.

Not sure if it'll ever make it to #1 in the end, but I'd certainly see it as having a shot - at the very least it's got a good chance at conquering Batman's sales. Coming in #2 when it only started in the late 90s would be nothing to sniff at.

aBarreras

I imagine Superman and Batman would increase if their books had greater scope with dozens if not hundreds of DC Universe characters. Also maybe if DC didn't put out so many titles.

Congratulations to One Piece I guess

come the fuck on, how many superman this, super man that, batman this batman that there is?

one piece is just one piece

OP is a beast in terms of length and sales. Every time I recommend it to people, they're like "nope. Too long." which is a shame. I remember trying to describe Devil Fruits to someone:

"so its a fruit right? And it gives you superpowers. The downside is you can't swim anymore. Except one guy. He can swim through everything except water."

Wamb0wneD

i mean,
Sanji

I think Sanjis first backstory was already the best next to Robins but the new one shines a new light on him as a character and his family bonds. Real good stuff.
Also every time Bon Boy comes back. That's true friendship. Not that Fairy Tale bs. Please come back Bon Curry. :/ My hope is that when Magellan was about to strike, Blackbeard came in and wrecked him and Bon could escape. Please Oda....

Metal B

i mean,
Sanji
Let's not forget the running joke of his wanted poster paid off twice.

Also every time Bon Boy comes back. That's true friendship. Not that Fairy Tale bs. Please come back Bon. :/ My hope is that when Magellan was about to strike Blackbeard came in and wrecked him and Bon could escape. Please Oda....
In one of the title stories,
we saw Bonchan alive and as new leader of the Newkamaland in Impel Down. He is fine.

LotusHD

Banned
Hunter X Hunter is. But One Piece is a close second.

c79e74cfbbaa735307a5c81a4bf83635096ff612_hq.gif

HxH is the only shounen where I'll let someone say it's better than OP and not make much of a fuss, because it is pretty damn good. They have different strengths and what not. That said, OP is by far my favorite.

VeeP

One Piece is a decent HxH substitute. Pretty much was all I read week to week, when HxH was on hiatus. Almost as good a substitute as Toriko was, the true HxH-lite :(

Don't worry Daingurse. Only one more week until Hiatus x Hiatus ends.

I need to read the manga. I watched a lot of the anime, dropped off mid-Skypiea, I've seen scattered episodes since then and read some of the early manga. And I heard the anime gets really bad. Still the best OST I've ever heard in a series though.

Oxn

I need to read the manga. I watched a lot of the anime, dropped off mid-Skypiea, I've seen scattered episodes since then and read some of the early manga. And I heard the anime gets really bad. Still the best OST I've ever heard in a series though.

That OST is only rivaled by Chrono Cross.

MisterHero

come the fuck on, how many superman this, super man that, batman this batman that there is?

one piece is just one piece
I said more characters and more stories contained in less books would add to their value (just as the narrator points out benefitted One Piece). It's also where I want DC to take some of their books.

Still, that's a hell of an achievement for a single creator.

Qvoth

Will reach number 1 in the next 10 years no doubt
There are plenty of better mangas around, but as a pure mainstream shonen manga I think this is easily the greatest

Daingurse

I only got like 5 volumes of One Piece. Don't think I have the space to start collecting it. Only just barely have enough room on my shelf for the 33 HxH volumes I got last year. Got like 10 volumes of Toriko just laying around right now lol.

LotusHD

Banned
That OST is only rivaled by Chrono Cross.

I heard the guy that does the One Piece OST does the OST for the Gravity Rush series, and I was like "This makes so much fucking sense lol"

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
It's manga, not comic.

Appreciate you and your fine art. I feel like I have a lot of work to do before I'm at your level. If I can accomplish as much as you are able to do in so few word, I feel like I'd finally be able to realize my one wish in this forum and the internet at large.

It's probably not the best manga ever written, but it's definitely my personal favorite. It's just a fantastic adventure story and Luffy is easily one of my favorite shonen protagonists. He's a standard archetype, sure, but his execution is amazing

Thud

HxH is the only shounen where I'll let someone say it's better than OP and not make much of a fuss, because it is pretty damn good. They have different strengths and what not. That said, OP is by far my favorite.

Several Jojo parts are better as well :p.

Top Bottom