• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus shutting down its forums

Dunan

John Hardin
ATLUS Forum Euthenics Manager

Father-duane.jpg

This is sad, but not for why you think. Since Atlus started to go under, they consolidated their entire PR team into John and his assistant. Considering how busy they've been lately, forum moderation is an area I'm sure they regret losing, yet had to cut.

I know John pretty well - he wouldn't have signed off on this unless he really believed Atlus could still connect with their fans via other mediums. The part of this I'd like to know is how John's role will change when Sega fully assumes control. He's been nothing but cordial and effective in his current position.

GeekyDad

"...It’s become a barren echo chamber over the past couple of months..."

Yup. No lie there. Seems like a sound decision. Why pay staff to maintain it? It really has such low traffic, and the quality of discourse is pretty low as well. Can't say I'll really miss it, and I have been checking in regularly for months.

Boogiepop

It's a little sad because I remember it being a neat place way back when I visited, but honestly I haven't been there in forever and the last few times I did there wasn't really any interesting discussion going on. Still, I'll always fondly remember the awesome experience of their Luminous Arc 2 tournament.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Running forums is a mega dumb move for companies. Massive security hole vector, constant source of PR frustrations, requires volunteer moderators who exist in a quasi-staff position, fairly server intensive particularly if old posts are not flushed, and you gain basically nothing.

Skinpop

And so it begins, next we will have:

- Half their games won't see an overseas release
- The other half will be getting the same treatment as that ps3 yakuza game. Butchered with cut content because westerners doesn't understand japanese culture anyway, then released over a year after japan and finally SEGA will complain about lack of interest and poor sales and shut down any localizations of future titles in that particular series.

Draikin 2

Months ago, the same mod posted this:

If we were to close the forums, it wouldn't be because of the Sega merger. There are other potential reasons!

So it's clear this was going to happen even without the Sega acquisition. In fact, judging from the reaction of the regular forum users there, this news wasn't much of a surprise. A lot of gaming forums are seeing less and less active users now.

old

First: we have awesome fans, and the overwhelming majority of them spend more time on Facebook and Twitter. In this business, it’s adapt or die, so we’re refocusing our efforts on social media.

I like that reasoning. If fans are going to hype your game then better they do it somewhere visible where millions of others can see and read it than somewhere tucked away in an isolated corner of the internet. If I make a game and I have fans talking about how great it is, I don't want them doing it somewhere secluded where only other fans will see it. I want them having those conversations publicly on twitter and facebook for all to see.

It's a bit sad, but a lot of forums are going the way of the dodo these days. Bot invasions are becoming common to those losing users, and the overall metric is changing. I've had some good times on a few which have shuttered their doors, but such is life.
Still Atlus Faithful though.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Forums cost money to run, and if it's "official" then you have to staff it well and pay close attention to what goes on in it. People use them for customer service as well as discussion.

I'd read into this as nothing more than not worth the money/hassle.

Meia

lol, what's this from?

My favorite Dreamcast game Illbleed.

The only thing bad about this is the timing. This would have been way smarter to do after the announcement while people are riding high off of the excitement of whatever it is and wouldn't have cared as much. Then again, maybe they realized if they did that it would be during a time the forums may actually see high traffic so it may have been considered a "dick move".

Sorian

Banned
Didn't want to pay the all maintenance fees when their servers blow up on the 24th from the Per5ona announcement.

Kokonoe

Banned
Running forums is a mega dumb move for companies. Massive security hole vector, constant source of PR frustrations, requires volunteer moderators who exist in a quasi-staff position, fairly server intensive particularly if old posts are not flushed, and you gain basically nothing.

You've basically described SEGA Forum.

That site literally does nothing for them. It's gotten hacked, the moderators do not work in unison, aren't that active, and the community fights with the PR all the time. lol

Miletius

It doesn't make sense to continue to put money into a product that nobody is using. I've noticed this happening with a lot of forums lately.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Heh, I actually have an account there, for Demon's Souls and Dragon's Crown. Shame, but I'm not surprised or shocked. Forums are a dying breed in this world of Facebro and Twittering. </old woman>

Top Bottom