• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Odyssey trailer

Jobbs

Banned
Out of all the shots you could have chosen you pick one of my favorite shots, the Sand Kingdom's entrance, pls.

The sand shot in particular is almost painful for me to look at. It's an assault of guadiness and there's not any kind of pleasing shape to anything. It's barf.

If someone likes something, they're not wrong. It's just a fact that you like it and no one can or should argue that you don't -- But I remain shocked that there are people who think this stuff looks good visually. I'm not intending to sound condescending, I'm just equally as surprised that people think it looks good as some people are that I think it looks bad.

The game will probably be good fun, though, and I do plan to play it at some point.

jariw

The sand shot in particular is almost painful for me to look at. It's an assault of guadiness and there's not any kind of pleasing shape to anything. It's barf.

The Sand Kingdom shot is clearly a visual reference to traditional Mexican art and especially to Aztec and "Dia de Los Muertos"-related art. IMO, I think the visual designers have achieved about the same thing as with the van Gogh "Starry Night" reference in NSMB U. The art style reference is equally strong here in Odyssey, although it's very much simplified in the game.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
lmao at people thinking Nintendo doesn't know what they're doing with the visual aspect of a freakin' mainline Mario game

hotcyder

Not sure why everyone's being so tough of Odyssey's graphics. Presentation wise - it's probably one of the best looking games this year in a sea of photorealistic shooters.

Lusankya

...and as always GAF chooses to focus all discussion on "the graphics". :(

It's more on the art style than the technical aspects, though.
Still don't understand the complains, especially the "don't want to argue with your taste but will totally argue that your taste sucks for liking the visuals of this game".

bomma_man

I'm with you

After watching Steal My Sunshine, same. The costume mechanic, while great fanservice, seems like some DK64 bullshit.

I really really hope I'm wrong, and Mario looks amazing to control, but yeah. Cautious.

Edit: artistically I like it, but more in an adult swim style intentionally garish and jarring kinda way. I can get not liking it.

Jobbs

Banned
It's more on the art style than the technical aspects, though.
Still don't understand the complains, especially the "don't want to argue with your taste but will totally argue that your taste sucks for liking the visuals of this game".

People were being mocked and laughed at for thinking it doesn't look good. That's the only reason I replied at all.

Everyone's welcome to their opinion.

People were being mocked and laughed at for thinking it doesn't look good. That's the only reason I replied at all.

You didn't say it "doesn't look good" you said it looks "terrible".

Definition 1: Extremely bad or serious

Definition 2: Causing or likely to cause terror; sinister.

At least own it. Believe it in your heart of hearts.

Oh and pleeeeeeeeeeeease don't hide in the review thread, at least Speiler Eins (or whatever they're called) showed up in the 3D World thread and refused his crow. That's at least something.

And yes people can laugh at outlandish opinions, can't they? I see it here all the time.

Jobbs

Banned
And yes people can laugh at outlandish opinions, can't they?

It's not outlandish, and don't you see how condescending it is for you to call my opinions outlandish when some of you guys are calling me condescending for having them at all?

Again, I was content to stay out of it because I'm not bothered by people thinking it looks good -- but folks were being belittled for having the exact reaction I had upon first seeing the trailer.

It's amazing how these people seem to get off on this stuff. Azak in the other thread, and now in here we have our Mr 'Don't put weapon durability in my games!' Jobbs.

I don't get off on it. Incidentally, I think BOTW is a visually stunning game with very few weaknesses in this area, and one of the best looking games to come around in years. Also incidentally, I don't think visuals are all that matters or are even particularly important in a Mario game. I only replied because people were already talking about it and some people were being rudely dismissive of others for thinking the same as what I thought.

TrueBlue

Moving on to something different, I love how a bird perched itself on Mario's nose when he fell asleep. Was that detail in previous games?

I didn't say it's a bad game. It's probably going to be a great game. An ugly great game.

To someone else above's point, I absolutely think 3D World was far better visually. It had a more cohesive style and the individual elements were better realized.

Odyssey is a much larger and more open game and that undoubtedly explains much of why it looks so much worse graphically, but for everyone who thinks my opinion is crazy or spits their coffee out know that I feel exactly the same after reading people who think it's visually gorgeous.

Stop.

New Donk City is shaping up to be such a great kingdom, to be honest. There's some rough stuff but I'm sure it'll have more polish before shipping. Can't wait for it to be really fun and full of stuff and for haters to eat crow.

Does any other Kingdom have day/night system like the Sand Kingdom?

If by Day/Night you mean the level toggles between different states as you progress through the missions, the Metro Kingdom has a Night and a Day state, Seaside has a "Day/Sunset" state and the Snow Kingdom seems to have a "Blizzard/Clear Skies" state. Not sure on the others so far. I don't think any level has a dynamic day-night cycle, though.

My guess is quite a few of them do. We've actually seen an incredibly small amount of content in this game. Each kingdom has multiple main missions and most of them, if not all, seem to alter the stage in some way.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

And everyone's opinion should be discussed and disseminated once they put them in a place for discussion.

You can have an opinion that the sky is red, but when you place it on the table be prepared for people to talk about it.

No.. many many of the shots shown so far of Odyssey are, visually speaking, an absolute mess. I've been shocked by how many people think the visuals are good. They're not. At least not what I've seen so far.

In particular whoever okayed the visual and graphic design of New Donk City should be fired. It's not the only problem level, of course, but it's the easiest example.

good to see we have the literal voice of god here to let us know that are opinions on the visuals are wrong.

Pat

It's not a dynamic day/night or weather cycle. There are "main" purples moons (I'm not sure about the number, probably 10-20 per kingdom) that has some kind of scenario like Super Mario Sunshine so the state of the kingdom change depending of which main moon you choose when you enter the world.

And inside of these main scenarios, there are (a lot it seems) turquoise stars that can be found mostly anywhere in the kingdom.

Some light spec about
Luigi possibly being present in the game (not necessarily being playable, mind you)
that might be interesting. I'm not super sold on it, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKsfBzu4cak

And I'm still more interested in that goddamn dark purple billboard because no kingdom shown so far seems to fit that, goddammit

OH MY, I have never seen someone reach this hard GameXplain is losing out if they don't hire this guy

Got to play Oddessy today at Eurogamer's EGX and it's every bit as good as it looks, absolutely superb. It feels like a true sequel to 64, with it's tight and responsive controls, it's really great to play.

Each level is like a sandbox with plenty to do and collect and lots of hidden stuff too. As you collect Moons, new parts of the level open up but without kicking you out each time, so it's more seamless than some of the older games.

The possession mechanic works well too and it's interesting controlling other characters / enemies. I can't wait to play the full game, it's gonna be something really special.

KiN0

Got to play Oddessy today at Eurogamer's EGX and it's every bit as good as it looks, absolutely superb. It feels like a true sequel to 64, with it's tight and responsive controls, it's really great to play.

Each level is like a sandbox with plenty to do and collect and lots of hidden stuff too. As you collect Moons, new parts of the level open up but without kicking you out each time, so it's more seamless than some of the older games.

The possession mechanic works well too and it's interesting controlling other characters / enemies. I can't wait to play the full game, it's gonna be something really special.
Do you know if a grand moon is the end of the world's "storyline" or just the end of an episode in the world.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I like most of the visuals but I'll never not hate New Donk City. The realistically proportioned environment and characters are awful and just highlight the technical limitations of the Switch alongside the clumsiness of two heavily clashing art directions. I actually don't mind the Mexicana village and I wish the city, or at least its inhabitants, were at least similarly stylized.

VDenter

Banned
Uhhh i cant understand how anybody can say anything other than "Mario Odyssey is currently the best looking Mario game graphically" I get that something like the weirdness of new donk city might not be to everyone's taste but saying that 3D world looked better or that this looks ugly?....cmon.

Neiteio

I like most of the visuals but I'll never not hate New Donk City. The realistically proportioned environment and characters are awful and just highlight the technical limitations of the Switch alongside the clumsiness of two heavily clashing art directions. I actually don't mind the Mexicana village and I wish the city, or at least its inhabitants, were at least similarly stylized.
I like New Donk City's look and feel, EXCEPT for those long-distance shots where you see all the jaggy shimmering on the rooftops. Otherwise I think it's a nice change of pace from the usual Mario settings (which feels ironic to say since it was technically the first Mario setting, being the setting of arcade Donkey Kong!).

Also Pauline is my waifu.

I really like the presentation of this game, much more than the plastic 3D World style (wich had many square textures, something I hate). The randomness of the locations in Odissey reminds me of the Super Mario Land games.
It doesn't look perfect, it's not like Sunshine at the times but this is also 60 fps.

Do you know if a grand moon is the end of the world's "storyline" or just the end of an episode in the world.

I don't tbh, the demo was only about 10 - 15 mins, so not really enough time to fully explore or complete a full world, as they are pretty big and the guys running the demo were not talking about that stuff, other than helping people get to grips with the controls.

One of the guys did say the outfits in different worlds will change how some characters react to Mario, like the suit in the desert world, can change npc reactions in New Donk City but he didn't go into details on that but my guess, it will probably lead to finding hidden Moons.

I like New Donk City. The bizarre vibe of Mario alongside realistically proportioned human characters is part of the appeal. It's really odd but fits in with the idea of Odyssey being a global trek. And I actually think the models are stylized just enough for it not to be creepy in a Sonic 2006 way.

Mugy

It always surprise me how every 3D Mario game keeps getting better.

I don't know about you guys, but just seeing the previews makes me feel like, if i don't play this, i'm going to miss something really, really fun.

Top Bottom