• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avalanche (Just Cause) - Wii U dev kits collecting dust, Nintendo is hard to reach

Sethos

Banned
It's tragicomic seeing the state and the attitude towards the Wii U in the gaming industry.

I do find it more funny however, that some people are completely oblivious to it. Like Nintendo aren't to blame, everyone else are wrong and stupid, in a few months this killer title will be released and suddenly it will be worthy of the Wii name! Every piece of bad news must be a troll or a blatant attack on the great Wii U.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Why don't they develop something for it then?

because they don't think that it's worth.
and considering how the wii u is struggling, they probably would appreciate some sort of Nintendo commitment (found) to work on it (otherwise don't make sense the part of "hard to reach")

Sadist

Another day, another thread about bad Wii U news.

I don't know what to think anymore: Nintendo can't of won't reach out to third parties.

I dunno. A ton of indie developers have said that Nintendo's been quite helpful with them, but you never know.

I think it's all relative. It wasn't that long ago that Nintendo wouldn't have pissed on an indie developer if they were on fire, and it's literally only in the last year or so that they've expressed an interest in having garage developers making stuff for their hardware.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Only few months left to troll Wii U. Don't miss your chance!

It will be almost just as bad in a few months than it is right now, only with a few more announced Nintendo titles. Yay. But, keep dreaming if you like it.

glaurung

Do you guys think Nintendo is beginning to "get it"?

Do you think their execs are beginning to think, you know, it looks like we really messed up not making it more powerful? Or no? Are they still thinking just "well stay the course we will still succeed, only software can save us", etc?

Say "more powerful" isn't the issue, but it IS the issue why next gen ports are already widely considered by third parties as PS4/Durango, and not PS4/Durango/Wii U...
A valid question.

As with all huge companies, they calculate their success or failure on the basis of bottom dollar. Considering WiiU is relatively cheap to manufacture for them, the peripherals are mass produced at an internal price of below $4 or something, they will not react.

But the gamers are getting irritated and downright angry, because WiiU's system seller games are nowhere to be seen. Well, we've seen promises and amazing trailers for them, but by the time they will actually be released, the 8th generation steamroller will have moved over them twice.

I still hope that the X mecha-RPG will eventually be released. But my hope is waning on daily basis.

What's the best WiiU could have hoped for anyway? A port of Renegade Ops with some Nintendo character cameos? Real shame if they are working on a new Just Cause or something of that ilk.

Hate to be "that guy" but I'm a bit confused here to be fair.

Afaik they have never done anything on a Nintendo console, am I wrong?

I don't think they've ever had any plan to release anything and they confirmed to have no such plans. So I'm not sure what they are exactly saying.
It's not like they wanted to do something but Nintendo isn't helping them, is it?

So I'm not sure what "WiiU kit collecting dust" is supposed to mean, if they never thought about doing anything

If a developer has never made a game for your console then shouldn't you be trying to get them on board? Sony didn't give up on trying to give Valve on board for the PS3, even after Gabe ripped the console apart, and eventually they managed to convince them to support it.

disco

OSTRICH_DUSTER_12meter.jpg
Quoted to avoid stretching the page.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
IWATA messed up, big time with this one.

To repeat the same mistakes with 3ds is so soon is sheer incompetence.

The one year headstart is all but wasted now.

One year headstart? If Nintendo drops the ball on the third party support SO hard, its more like they got 7 years too late to the last gen party.

Who's Avalanche again?

Just Cause and Renegade Ops.

cacildo

Queue 'Who cares, it's just Just Cause/Mad Max/Avalanche' posts.

This is sad. Nintendo third party relations stay the same despite all the promises.

I care! Just Cause is great! Really wish they made Just Cause 3 for the wiiU

JC2 was one of the only games i enjoy on the Ps3.

Even so, ill keep Wiiu/3ds only, thank you. Dont see the point of buying a PS4 just to play just cause 3

thefro

What's the best WiiU could have hoped for anyway? A port of Renegade Ops with some Nintendo character cameos? Real shame if they are working on a new Just Cause or something of that ilk.

That decision would be made at a Square Enix/Eidos level for a new Just Cause (or Sega for Renegade Ops)... it wouldn't be Avalanche's decision as to whether they'd port that to the Wii U or not.

Unison

That decision would be made at a Square Enix/Eidos level... it wouldn't be Avalanche's decision as to whether they'd port that to the Wii U or not.

I was coming to post just this... They aren't a publisher. They'll do whatever the publisher says.

Things will soon turn around once the new Mario 3D game arrives; the Wii U can still be a big success for Nintendo. It will be around for years to come.

How would you define "big success"?

I think they will easily sell the system to existing Nintendo fans with the Zelda, Mario, Mario kart, smash bros cycle, but I have yet to see anything that will push wii u sales to a wider audience.

AndyLonn

OP: Good to see another Norsk Gaffer

This is terrible, but to be honest, it was pretty much the same on the Wii. The highest quality games came from inhouse Nintendo devs

Sendou

I dunno. A ton of indie developers have said that Nintendo's been quite helpful with them, but you never know.

Geographical location seems to matter a lot for Nintendo. You're an indie dev in America? You're in luck because Nintendo actually acknowledges you. Outside? Well you might be not so lucky.

News like this are always little weird because you hear mostly good stuff from the devs that actually are involved with the platform. Yet again they're biased in the matter and the ones with the negative attitude are the ones Nintendo should focus on convincing.

If the Wii was hurting 3rd party relations, the Wii U is killing 3rd party relations. The Gamepad was a huge mistake in my opinion. The entire design philosophy of the system was centered around the Gamepad, and had a big impact on the power, performance, and ease of development, and thus affecting 3rd party interest. On the consumer side it has even confused people, thinking it is a Wii add on.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I was coming to post just this... They aren't a publisher. They'll do whatever the publisher says.

Err, you know that they're an independent developer right?

They might do what the publisher request if they want, but they're not necessarily beholden to them.

serplux

Geographical location seems to matter a lot for Nintendo. You're an indie dev in America? You're in luck because Nintendo actually acknowledges you. Outside? Well you might be not so lucky.

News like this are always little weird because you hear mostly good stuff from the devs that actually are involved with the platform. Yet again they're biased in the matter and the ones with the negative attitude are the ones Nintendo should focus on convincing.

The majority of mainland Europe also gets a great deal of attention by Nintendo, but perhaps they don't really have a presence in the Nordics.

fabprems

Bulletpoints, translated by me
- Avalanche has no plans for Wii U
- Have a couple of Wii U dev kits that only collects dust
- Too small install base according to Sundberg
- Nintendo is hard to reach, you never know how to contact them
- Believes Nintendo has a lot to win with copying Sony, reach out to developers, create enthusiasm

Source (Norwegian)
http://www.pressfire.no/spesialer/gdc-13/6919/-Utviklermaskinene-stvet-bare-ned
Did Avalanche studio ever worked on a Nintendo console ??

Not avery surprising declaration, but still saddening :/

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
They are a privately owned studio. It's their decision whether to make a game for it or not and pitch publishers if they choose to do so.

JoeM86

Bulletpoints, translated by me
- Avalanche has no plans for Wii U
- Have a couple of Wii U dev kits that only collects dust
- Too small install base according to Sundberg
- Nintendo is hard to reach, you never know how to contact them
- Believes Nintendo has a lot to win with copying Sony, reach out to developers, create enthusiasm

Source (Norwegian)
http://www.pressfire.no/spesialer/gdc-13/6919/-Utviklermaskinene-stvet-bare-ned

It's their fault if the dev kits are collecting dust. Maybe if they used them and had plans for the Wii U, they wouldn't be. Don't pin it on Nintendo. So many developers are saying Nintendo isn't hard to reach anymore, and why should they COPY Sony?

Here's a novel concept. If you have plans for a console, then the dev kit won't collect dust

I honestly don't even know why they're bothering to make it seem like there was even a chance. In all likelihood, Wii U is nowhere near powerful enough to run Just Cause 3.

So many developers are saying Nintendo isn't hard to reach anymore, and why should they COPY Sony?

Indie developers seem to have an easier time, but who else has said that Nintendo is easier to reach?

Sendou

The majority of mainland Europe also gets a great deal of attention by Nintendo, but perhaps the Nintendo doesn't really have a presence in the Nordics.

I guess majority is the keyword here. One would think that they wouldn't have the luxury of ruling an area out. Nordic countries have lots of talented devs and succesful IP's.

Don't pin it on Nintendo. So many developers are saying Nintendo isn't hard to reach anymore, and why should they COPY Sony?

I guess they're looking at world from where they are. Sony has extremely good market share in the Nordic countries. Logically they also have a large presence in there. Nintendo just doesn't really care and isn't doing anything to improve it.

Updated the op with a google translation of the article:

SAN FRANCISCO (PressFire.no): Avalanche is a game studio that readily admits that they get extra high pulse of the idea of ​​new consoles.

The first "Just Cause" came in 2006, around the turn of the previous console generation. The sequel has evolved to become more of a game than just a technology demo.

Just as described the three bosses in Avalanche difference between the first in the series and "Just Cause 2".

As for Nintendo's Wii U console, it is not particularly enthusiasm to track with the Swedish trio we met in conjunction with the Game Developers Conference.
- It's a bit sad
Avalanche has no plans to Wii U, they say bluntly.

- No. Not at the moment. My kids play "Skylanders Giants" on Wii U. It's pretty much the only dealings I have with the console, says Christofer Sundberg, founder of the studio.

- We actually had some develop consoles that just collected dust. It's a little sad, because we were supposed wanted to do something. I think it is a cool platform, but right now it's not just up to us. We want the game to release an as wide as possible.

- Is it that there are too few Wii U owners?

- Yes, it actually does it, says Sundberg to press four[/b]

[...]
- Nintendo difficult to obtain
User base is therefore too small to Avalanche will take the risk of making a game for the Wii U. There are several examples of this kind of skepticism among developers.

[...]
Christofer Sundberg talks about some of the challenges they have had in trying to achieve cooperation. It is not only the number of console owners who give them little appetite:

- Nintendo have from our point of view has always been difficult to get in. You never quite know where to turn. Now, however, we have managed to get through, via the publisher we work with.

- I think Nintendo has much to gain by going the same way as Sony, by stretching out a hand to the developers so as to include even more, says Sundberg.

- If it happened, would be developing felt more enthusiasm, and perhaps had wanted to make something cool and good. In Nintendo's case, it could have acted on the use of GamePad controller for the Wii U.

Clearly Avalanche is boycotting them for not using Origin as there's no other possible explanation.

I was trying to come up with some contrived excuse which makes Nintendo look really good and Avalanche as incompetent (because the casual internet forum goer know more about hardware then engine developers!). Thanks for the hard work!

The "small install base" comment is telling. Why waste resources on game development when potential return on investment is so small?

On the other hand, even if Avalanche Studios was to develop a Wii U game, it'd still need a publisher-- and third-party publishers aren't too keen on Wii U currently anyway.

Install bases are always zero before new platforms are released.
Here, Nintendo is simply failing in attracting new developers. I'm not sure whether you will see studios like this one not developing on PS4 or Nextbox when their install base will be a few millions after the launch.

Top Bottom