• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Star wars Battlefront 2 Pro vs 1X vs PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

shpankey

not an idiot
Honestly a major problem with DF on high res videos is YouTube. IIRC they have a Patreon with access to high bitrate videos, but YouTube alone most likely does not do justice to the difference between games on Pro/X/PC. That's part of the reason the do the zoom in, between poor YouTube encoding/bandwidth and people watching on phones (where even Switch looks about the same as Xbone X). The difference between Pro and X is probably significant live, but on YouTube maybe it doesn't appear a lot.
This is a good point. We could also just listen to his review as well, where he makes it very clear on multiple occasions the difference was very noticeable and much better on 1x. Forgive me for not watching again to quote, but anyone who's seen the DF video knows what I mean.

Yep. The mods were a massive piece in the sonygaf jigsaw. It's a shame that they weren't reined in long ago. Anyone else remember the cboat debacle? It's unfortunate that it was misterxmedia that dug that all up, because he undermined its credibility. Then, a couple of weeks after it quietened down, cboat publicly commits seppuku in a bet with a dev. How convenient.

Just like modbot, i would put money on cboat being an account that was shared by a few mods..
Yeah, the sony mod machine was clearly taking massive liberties and were out of control. Part of me looks at this thread and is seeing the complaints about lack of modding in relation to that, Sony fans are clearly not used to having to deal w/ that kind of vitriol in posts and see the lack of ban hammers going out in spades and take notice. The old GAF would have banned every xbox fanboy post in here, but left the sony fanboy posts alone, and that was the problem. I agree, it should be policed, but equally on both sides... it's just that xbox fans are pretty used to it, whereas it's a new thing for sony fans, hence the complaints here. Just my take anyhow.

PlayStation fanboy’s.....Just calm down and get a grip. Just accept the fact that the XB1X is going to defeat the PS4 Pro in every face-off, and you’ll be a happier person. The XB1X is simply more powerful by a pretty large margin, there’s no getting around it.

However, fear not! The PS5 will be here in 2020 and it’ll beat the XB1X. You just have to swallow your pride for two years, not a long time, stay strong!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
PlayStation fanboy’s.....Just calm down and get a grip. Just accept the fact that the XB1X is going to defeat the PS4 Pro in every face-off, and you’ll be a happier person. The XB1X is simply more powerful by a pretty large margin, there’s no getting around it.

However, fear not! The PS5 will be here in 2020 and it’ll beat the XB1X. You just have to swallow your pride for two years, not a long time, stay strong!

Nyke+Needam+Beast+Mode.png

I'm sure they won't be able to see the difference between 1440p and 2160p just like the Xbox fanboys couldn't see the difference between 720p and 1080p for the first 4 years of the gen :>

You fanboys are all so adorable.

Laserdisk

ParallelEnviousIndochinahogdeer.gif

shpankey

not an idiot
As for the average comment. I said the PS4 PRO averages 1440p and the XBONEX 1800p. Do you think the PRO averages 1296p or the lowest rez that they found, that's not how that works.....

Small point here, PS4P tops out at 1440p, it does not average it. For those that haven't sat through the video, here's some highlights...

"Both consoles operate using dynamic resolution scaling, and that means pixel count are adjusted to rendering load. The idea here is to reduce resoltion in order to better hit 60 frames per second. Giving you a smoother experience... and there's a sizeable gap between Pro and Xbox One X here. Peak pixel counts on Sony's system appears to top out at 1440p but of course the resolution does vary. We noticed around 1296p in various scenes, going upwards to that 1440p mark in less demanding areas. It's an upgrade over the base PS4 game that tops out at 1080p. But at the same time it's not quite high enough to give you that '4k presentation'. It falls short in that respect."

"...meanwhile when we move over to Xbox One X, there's a considerable upgrade here. Resolution tops out at a full fat 2160p."

"...but from what we've seen so far Xbox One X roughly goes down to around 1880p all the way up to 2160p, 4k. Image quality is excellent here and to be honest, I'd say it's more than enough to pass for native 4k."

"...and the result is a massive upgrade over Pro, Xbox One X appears crisp and sharp with more clarity across the entire scene due to the increased resolution. In fact, when we quickly compare against the PC here, in terms of resolution, while the Xbox One X doesn't always hit 4k, it comes very close indeed."

He goes on to say, the XB1X also includes these improvements, some have a bigger impact than others:
High resolution textures
Shadow quality more refined
Better texture filtering
Higher reflections resolution
Better ambient occlusion

On a personal note, one of the other things that jumped out at me was the "texture shimmering" on PS4Pro was quite bad, whereas near non-existent on X1X. [see 3:21 - 3:27 segment as a good example but also seen in the tree leaves really bad]. I really hate texture shimmering and always have.

Edit: these numbers are further verified in the Eurogamer comparison article. And they came to the same conclusions as well...

"First amongst them is dynamic resolution scaling, where both Wolfenstein 2 and Battlefront 2 adjust pixel-counts on the fly in order to sustain performance. PS4 Pro tops out at 2560x1440 on both titles, while Xbox One X pushes further - much further - delivering a maximum of 3840x2160, or full-fat 4K. That's a 2.25x increase in pixel-count, a surprising uplift bearing in mind the respective specs of the two systems."

"...Xbox One X sits nicely on a 4K screen, offering up an excellent presentation overall, even if dynamic scaling ensures that you're not seeing a native resolution image all of the time. Meanwhile, PlayStation 4 Pro is significantly blurrier as its framebuffer is upscaled up to the machine's 4K video output. There's a kind of double-whammy for Pro users here as texture filtering quality is intrinsically tied to native resolution, so not only does the Pro look blurrier overall, but ground artwork can lose even more detail, further muddying image quality."

...and goes on to say the occasional dropped frame is an issue w/ their dynamic scaler that will likely be optimized to correct.

atpbx

I really cant be doing with people gloating about owning a console that doesn't even have the processing power of a mid range I3.

Both are nearly 6 years off the pace when it comes to the CPU they are packing, and neither are in striking distance when it comes to graphics horsepower.

The one thing i don't get is the argument of someone who owns either a pro or a one x, who then says that their solution to get around exclusives is to buy the base ps4 or xbone... If you're satisfied with that then why the fuck did you buy the one x or pro for other games and care about how good they look?!?!

shpankey

not an idiot
I really cant be doing with people gloating about owning a console that doesn't even have the processing power of a mid range I3.

Both are nearly 6 years off the pace when it comes to the CPU they are packing, and neither are in striking distance when it comes to graphics horsepower.

Uhm, your post makes no sense to me. Consoles are not meant to be general computers needing Intel i3's in them, and they have to factor in cost, heat, power draw and in this case backward compatibility. Putting an i3 into a console would be one of the most idiotic decisions of all time.

Second, striking distance to what? A PC? I beg to differ. While the "ultra" settings of a PC are clearly better, they're not so much better as to say it's not within striking distance. You are talking about a couple of relatively cheap (by comparison) consoles that are holding 60fps and some very high resolutions with most other things intact.

It's like the car analogy. I can love my $35k japanese imports and brag about them and be content, but they of course aren't a P1 or Ferrari. Context is key.

mad597

Banned
I'm sure they won't be able to see the difference between 1440p and 2160p just like the Xbox fanboys couldn't see the difference between 720p and 1080p for the first 4 years of the gen :>

You fanboys are all so adorable.

According to sony fanboys in this thread a huge res difference of 1440p vs 2160p is diminishing returns but a 1-2 fps drop from 60 every now and then is a deal breaker and gives the pspro an easy win.

The pixel count differences between 1440p and 2160p is alot more than 720p vs 1080p but you keep trying to justify the half assed pspro.

According to sony fanboys in this thread a huge res difference of 1440p vs 2160p is diminishing returns but a 1-2 fps drop from 60 every now and them is a deal breaker and gives the pspro an easy win.

The pixel count differences between 1440p and 2160p is alot more than 720p vs 1080p bit you keep trying to justify the half assed pspro.

Calls someone a fanboy then calls the pro half assed. Right or wrong, you're only baiting for more console mud slinging.

Space_nut

Small point here, PS4P tops out at 1440p, it does not average it. For those that haven't sat through the video, here's some highlights...

"Both consoles operate using dynamic resolution scaling, and that means pixel count are adjusted to rendering load. The idea here is to reduce resoltion in order to better hit 60 frames per second. Giving you a smoother experience... and there's a sizeable gap between Pro and Xbox One X here. Peak pixel counts on Sony's system appears to top out at 1440p but of course the resolution does vary. We noticed around 1296p in various scenes, going upwards to that 1440p mark in less demanding areas. It's an upgrade over the base PS4 game that tops out at 1080p. But at the same time it's not quite high enough to give you that '4k presentation'. It falls short in that respect."

"...meanwhile when we move over to Xbox One X, there's a considerable upgrade here. Resolution tops out at a full fat 2160p."

"...but from what we've seen so far Xbox One X roughly goes down to around 1880p all the way up to 2160p, 4k. Image quality is excellent here and to be honest, I'd say it's more than enough to pass for native 4k."

"...and the result is a massive upgrade over Pro, Xbox One X appears crisp and sharp with more clarity across the entire scene due to the increased resolution. In fact, when we quickly compare against the PC here, in terms of resolution, while the Xbox One X doesn't always hit 4k, it comes very close indeed."

He goes on to say, the XB1X also includes these improvements, some have a bigger impact than others:
High resolution textures
Shadow quality more refined
Better texture filtering
Higher reflections resolution
Better ambient occlusion

On a personal note, one of the other things that jumped out at me was the "texture shimmering" on PS4Pro was quite bad, whereas non-existing on X1X. [see 3:21 - 3:25 segment as a good example but also seen in the tree leaves really bad]. I really hate texture shimmering and always have.

Yep X is on another level over pro :)

Bought overpriced shit with a useless camera at launch, suffered for 4 years. Dropped 499 again for some minor IQ improvements on a high quality 4K/HDR screen.
I like these guys.

shpankey

not an idiot
Bought overpriced shit with a useless camera at launch, suffered for 4 years. Dropped 499 again for some minor IQ improvements on a high quality 4K/HDR screen.
I like these guys.

Sounds like my typical PC upgrade to be honest. Welcome to the real world of gaming now. Generational gaps will continue to shrink. If you are thinking you are going to get the wow factor from the time you went from the SNES to PSX, those days are long gone and have shrunk on each subsequent generation. At least for now and until they can think of a way to go to true 3d without glasses or helmets.

I have a mid range i7 and a 1070ti. I know this game plays and looks incredible on PC. I have played an hour on my EA access trial and probably won't touch it again tho

That really had no place in this thread tho. I don't get why every DF vid thread turns into PCMR bull

Morbid

Banned
I have a mid range i7 and a 1070ti. I know this game plays and looks incredible on PC. I have played an hour on my EA access trial and probably won’t touch it again tho

That really had no place in this thread tho. I don’t get why every DF vid thread turns into PCMR bull

Yea sure, almost every other post is XBOX IS A BEAST.

knerl

I will always find fanboys weird.

How does that make the person a fanboy?
In comparison Pro is pretty shitty. Holds up of course and I'd gladly take it over base PS4, but the overall package when comparing it to 1X is poor. I have a Pro. I don't own a 1X.

Malcolm9

In comparison Pro is pretty shitty. Holds up of course and I'd gladly take it over base PS4, but the overall package when comparing it to 1X is poor. I have a Pro. I don't own a 1X.

That's your opinion though, most Pro owners I know are pretty happy with their purchase.

Calling it shitty is ridiculous. I mean will we call the X shitty once the PS5/Xbox Two are released?

ganaconda

Yeah, that's kind of expected in every game. I mean, it has 12GB of RAM and around 50% more power...

If this level of difference continues to be a trend it actually shows the Pro either is being bottlenecked by memory bandwidth or the X is somehow significantly more optimized to reduce bottlenecks. The latter could either be in hardware, software, or both. This is a far greater differential in performance than should be expected by 44% more power. It obviously varies, but even on the low end, the discrepancy is far greater than you would expect from the GPU power differential. The Eurogamer article points this out. You should see 44% more pixels everything else equal. It's actually pretty straightforward to calculate as the power is directly correlated with pixel count and increases linearly. On the high end the differential is 125% more pixels. The extra RAM helps boost the X's memory bandwidth, but other than that the main benefit you should see from the additional RAM is higher resolution textures normally only available on PC, but this game doesnt have them.

TLZ

Banned
That's your opinion though, most Pro owners I know are pretty happy with their purchase.

Calling it shitty is ridiculous. I mean will we call the X shitty once the PS5/Xbox Two are released?
If the pro is shitty then I don't know what the base PS4 and Xbox models are.

Cloud_9

Neo Member
Yep. The mods were a massive piece in the sonygaf jigsaw. It's a shame that they weren't reined in long ago. Anyone else remember the cboat debacle? It's unfortunate that it was misterxmedia that dug that all up, because he undermined its credibility. Then, a couple of weeks after it quietened down, cboat publicly commits seppuku in a bet with a dev. How convenient.

Just like modbot, i would put money on cboat being an account that was shared by a few mods..

Lol what ever you say dude

Only fanboys use Mr X as a source. He has no credibility on anything.

Laserdisk

Shitty???
Yeah ok....
And if we are talking overall package you need to factor price in, and support.
The X does not make the pro shitty, the X is more powerful by far.
But a year and $100 will do that, but you may as well burn your pro since it's so shitty....

Lol what ever you say dude
Cboat was defintely a dummie account that mods used to spew bias and hatred towards xbox.

My roommate and I just compared the X version to the PC version (everyone maxed out, 1440p) on my monitor.

The X version undeniably looks incredible. The game itself just looks amazing in general, but I am somewhat impressed by how close X gets to my PC.

Obviously my PC wins in every way but it’s close enough to really show how much this 500 dollar box can do.

I just hope they pump out some exciting exclusives or demonstrate clear superiority in RDR2 to make me feel good about the purchase in the long run

LukeUK

Neo Member
Been a lurker for quite some years on this board, it's always been pro Sony, X1 is constantly shit on, good news, bad news, doesn't matter. Now that the Xbox is doing better in the graphics department the Sony fans have been coming out of the wood work to try and downplay it, it's funny. On the other hand, you have the Xbox fans reviling in the new top dog graphics division (minus PC of course) which is equally as embarrassing. Can't we all just enjoy games regardless of what we play it on?

OT: The game looks fantastic, REGARDLESS of which platform you play it on. It's just a shame the controversy surrounding it is taring it some-what.

Been a lurker for quite some years on this board, it's always been pro Sony, X1 is constantly shit on, good news, bad news, doesn't matter. Now that the Xbox is doing better in the graphics department the Sony fans have been coming out of the wood work to try and downplay it, it's funny. On the other hand, you have the Xbox fans reviling in the new top dog graphics division (minus PC of course) which is equally as embarrassing. Can't we all just enjoy games regardless of what we play it on?

This is fair, and I admit that I am guilty of this

laxu

I really don't know why some of you care so much about splitting hairs just to have some virtual victory over those who prefer a different console than you do. The game seems to look great on all platforms and when actually playing it, in motion I doubt you'd be able to see that much difference or care after a while. I have a PS4 Pro and a high end PC so the Xbox One X doesn't fit in anywhere but it's great that consoles are starting to approach PC graphics. The PS4 Pro exclusives I play look fantastic too so I expect the PS5 is finally the device where I can say that consoles look about just as good.

Now if only consoles allowed you to choose your control options...

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I really don't know why some of you care so much about splitting hairs just to have some virtual victory over those who prefer a different console than you do. The game seems to look great on all platforms and when actually playing it, in motion I doubt you'd be able to see that much difference or care after a while. I have a PS4 Pro and a high end PC so the Xbox One X doesn't fit in anywhere but it's great that consoles are starting to approach PC graphics. The PS4 Pro exclusives I play look fantastic too so I expect the PS5 is finally the device where I can say that consoles look about just as good.

Now if only consoles allowed you to choose your control options...
I agree that xbox elite controller 😍
What a BEAST

shpankey

not an idiot
I don't think it's even about the power and graphics difference for some of them, but when you've had years of suppression that no longer exists anymore, it was an inevitable backlash. Well, that and the few zealot sony fans claiming some kind of outright victory here just made things worse.

I have a Pro and enjoy it and now have a 1x. Both are great for their own reasons, which everyone here knows already and I can personally say for me I've always enjoyed both platforms (sony/xbox), but I can't deny watching some of the sony fanboy salt hasn't been at least a little bit rewarding. It really was out of hand here and it's at least good to see things evened out finally.

Having said all of that, I doubt we will ever get to the place we would all like, as the only reason GAF may have seemed better in that regard before was due to the banning, ridicule, suppression and shaming of the xbox brand in general, leaving not a lot of people to even take up the argument and those that did quickly became labeled, if not excommunicated.

What we really need is for good modding based on ridiculous fanboy posts from any side, and most especially personal attacks to be put down and put down HARD. There's no need to call anyone junior, or to call someone specific a fanboy (the term in general is fine) or an idiot or any of that nonsense. Just make your opinion known and let it stand w/o fear of being ridiculed, even if it's an unpopular one, unless you are factually wrong, in which case being corrected should happen. But there's far too many posters here who can't let a different opinion stand w/o name calling and shaming. It's really bizarre, especially w/ popular titles or game comparisons (GT v Forza, etc).

Dabanton

The funniest thing about all of this is the Xbox One X has only been out for two weeks.

Don't think I've seen peoples jimmies get this rustled this quickly. Over a console

It's been astonishing to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom