• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017 - Pixels Walk With Me

I played broken sword and I really liked it, I was a bit surprised

Nice to have something with a, for want of better term, slow pace that I can play at my leisure

TripleSun

Long overdo but finally beat Kathy Rain. I hear they are thinking of doing a sequel after Whispers of a Machine, which I'd gladly have especially
after that post-credit scene with The Crimson One. I thought after the fire, he would be gone.

A really fun experience overall.

epmode

How is it?

RPS recommends it:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/07/28/the-darkside-detective-review/

Officer Dooley is the best point and click character I’ve met in ages, and I say that having thoroughly enjoyed the company of Thimbleweed Park’s misfits and misanthropes. Dooley is on a different level though. Maybe it’s that he’s unvoiced and yet so smartly written that I can hear his every word, or maybe it’s that he’s secretly the world’s laziest anarchist trapped inside the uniform of a policeman.

I bought it because of this review but I might not be able to get to it this weekend.

Tizoc

I finally got off my lazy ass and finished Silver Case.
My main gripe with this PnC game is that it's rather slow with its progression and more often than not you wonder what was the point of some dialog sections.
It's like
take how Seinfeld is about nothing
and make an acid induced, fever dream crime mystery adventure game that keeps fucking with you even at the end

I recommend it if you have an interest in plots or themes are that just 'out there'.
For one thing I finally get the whole 'Kill the past' motif that Suda51 uses.

Next up: Lion's Song then Darkside Detective, then it's back to clearing my Steam PnC backlog then jumping back to my GOG backlog.

aravuus

RPS recommends it:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/07/28/the-darkside-detective-review/

I bought it because of this review but I might not be able to get to it this weekend.

Just saw the review myself and immediately bought it.

And I'm loving it! I can definitely see some of the humor be a bit too self-referential for some people, but so far (couple of cases in) I'm laughing quite a lot. Nice to see it's not very long, either.

e: oh and the music is just fantastic

Tizoc

The Lion's Song is a rather interesting game.
It is set during early 1900s Vienna and follows people who have artistic visions.
Ep. 1 is about a Violinist working on her next music piece and the light puzzle element involves merely interacting with the right objects or replies in order for her to form her next musical piece.
You know how artists see things that normal people don't? That applies here, esp. in the 2nd episode which is about an
painter

It has a lovely pixel art style and overall animates well.

Tizoc

Just beat The Lion's Song, and man that finale was such a stinger and emotional moment.
If you can I strongly recommend getting it for $10, although it might go on sale down the line, if you're up for playing it now or anytime soon, def. give it a play
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/106294/
header_586x192.jpg

Lovely artstyle and animations and the music is great. I liked Ep. 3 the most, but they're all good in their own ways. Gameplay is simple and there aren't puzzles involved, although making the right actions or statements in dialog sections can affect how the outcome of the episode will be.

EDIT: Here's what's on my plate atm-
Darkside Detective
The Low Road
Samorost 3
Superbrothers
Tesla Effect
Tiny Thief
Violett
Virginia
Void & Meddler

Can someone link to the mods/fan fixes that improve Tesla Effect's visuals?

I should be able to finish these by September at the latest then go back to the GOG backlog @o@

starsky

Just beat The Lion's Song, and man that finale was such a stinger and emotional moment.
If you can I strongly recommend getting it for $10, although it might go on sale down the line, if you're up for playing it now or anytime soon, def. give it a play
header_586x192.jpg

This seems lovely, I'll keep an eye for it when it's available on GOG.
If you have played The Last Door, how close is this game compared to it? I know it's not a horror game, I'm talking about the overall feeling of the game, its ambience, music, etc.

Still can't believe TJD Chap 3 is finally coming out next month, on the 21st. Feels like I've been waiting forever. Can't wait! Here's a preview trailer they just released to pump folks up if anyone wants to watch.

https://youtu.be/tXGVFnOKMaw

Oh snap! I still need to play Chap 2! I'm sure i have it around here somewhere but it slipped my mind with all the great releases so far this year. Thanks for the reminder.

edit: I must have played it as i bought it back in 2014! Man, it's been such a wait between episodes but i don't care as i've really enjoyed it but i obviously need a replay to refresh my memory!

TripleSun

Oh snap! I still need to play Chap 2! I'm sure i have it around here somewhere but it slipped my mind with all the great releases so far this year. Thanks for the reminder.

edit: I must have played it as i bought it back in 2014! Man, it's been such a wait between episodes but i don't care as i've really enjoyed it but i obviously need a replay to refresh my memory!

No prob! Chap 2 is much longer and much more interesting of an episode. You'll love it. I guess it's time for me to replay the first two. It's almost here, hype train!

Tizoc

Currently playing Superbrothers and am
causing a Time Paradox to get Dark Moon up early. Seems I left the Moon Groto while the moon was in crescent state so I'll need to get back to the grotto and set it to a moonless night :V

Oh and Samorost 3 was beaten and that game is one weird romp.

This seems lovely, I'll keep an eye for it when it's available on GOG.
If you have played The Last Door, how close is this game compared to it? I know it's not a horror game, I'm talking about the overall feeling of the game, its ambience, music, etc.

I hadn't played Last Door mainly because I am not a fan of horror games but looking at the screenshots of it, Lion's Song is way more detailed and the animations are very good.

Lion's Song is a very simple game although one may replay it in order to get the 'better storyline' of events.

starsky

I hadn't played Last Door mainly because I am not a fan of horror games but looking at the screenshots of it, Lion's Song is way more detailed and the animations are very good.

Lion's Song is a very simple game although one may replay it in order to get the 'better storyline' of events.

Thank you :).

Too bad you're not a fan of horror games, because if you are, I heartily recommend The Last Door. It's my favourite adventure game I've played this year.

Tizoc

So here is a game that I don't think you'll be able to find on Steam anymore
header.jpg

This is originally a mobile game and the port is more or less 1:1 of the mobile game even having loading between screens!
Gameplay is simple; you move the Thief by clicking on ground or platforms he can stand on and click the interact option once it pops up.
The game is mainly about moving around the screen, interacting with items and solving the light puzzles therein.

It's not a long game but it does feels slow to move around.

I quite enjoyed my time with it but am little bummed I wouldn't be able to gift it since it's delisted now or something.

EDIT: OK i am having a hard time finding it for iOS and Android too, what the heck....

TripleSun

Thank you :).

Too bad you're not a fan of horror games, because if you are, I heartily recommend The Last Door. It's my favourite adventure game I've played this year.

Have both seasons but haven't begun them yet, glad to hear people love them haha

Tizoc

Well that's Virginia completed.
It's pretty short clocking at under 3 hours adn is more of an interactive story. It's mainly linear with its progression though there are collectables that you can interact with to get some cheevos or trophies.

Overall I enjoyed it buuuuuuuuuuuuut
I did not like how it didn't give a proper resolution to the mystery. It is more of a character centric narritive and I liked both the main characters, but the lack of a resolution was pretty off putting.
I will say that Anne's mind works in really big ways

starsky

Have both seasons but haven't begun them yet, glad to hear people love them haha

I remember you like Black Mirror series (like me) :D?
Well the Last Door ain't pretty but its story, ambience, and music are top notch. Its story is a love letter to Lovecraft.

Tizoc

Ballads of Reemus was one odd experience.
When I first ran the game and started a new game, the game gave me a black screen with text at the top reading 'Skip add after 15 seconds'
I'm fine with playing mobile ports on PC but this is ridiculous.
A few minutes after I start the game gets an audio glitch that has some audio playing out of sync and looping.
Thankfully the game autosaved.

I exit and go back again, audio issue is fixed but the weird ad message shows up again.

Non the less I decided to beat the game in one session/go and it was a decent game, humor and voice acting were good IMO, but the ad thing soured me, esp. when this is the drm-free gog ver.!

Daedalic Games do have links to their other games in the main menu of their games when you launch them and that's FINE but the way this game does it is pretty abysmal.

Anyways onto Critter Chronicles and...well the humor isn't doing it for me :S

Tizoc

OK remind me what I need to fiddle with in DOSBox to get proper screen and visuals and what have you?

TripleSun

NEW TITLE IN BLACK MIRROR SERIES! (sorry for caps, couldn't contain myself)

https://adventuregamers.com/news/view/33391

Seems to be marketed as a re-imagining so I was worried it was just a remake of the original but seems like it's a new independent story with the same dark atmosphere. I'm super excited!

It's funny how many devs this series has gone through, though. Future Games, Cranberry Production and now KING Art Games. I loved their The Raven and The Book of Unwritten Tale games so I trust they'll put their best into this as well.

...November 28th is the release date..? Wow, I didn't see that coming so soon.. They hid it well from the public. Kinda happy about that. Time to get on replaying the first two again. Where's my week off work to fully delve into the world again?

The executive producer on Black Mirror II seems to be involved for this iteration as well. Did not know that KING Art was also involved with the second game so at least you know they know what it takes to not ruin such a beautiful series.

Tizoc

Only played the start of dragonsphere but i liked that i can be a lazy slob and want to take down the evil wizard another day

NEW TITLE IN BLACK MIRROR SERIES! (sorry for caps, couldn't contain myself)

https://adventuregamers.com/news/view/33391

Seems to be marketed as a re-imagining so I was worried it was just a remake of the original but seems like it's a new independent story with the same dark atmosphere. I'm super excited!

It's funny how many devs this series has gone through, though. Future Games, Cranberry Production and now KING Art Games. I loved their The Raven and The Book of Unwritten Tale games so I trust they'll put their best into this as well.

...November 28th is the release date..? Wow, I didn't see that coming so soon.. They hid it well from the public. Kinda happy about that. Time to get on replaying the first two again. Where's my week off work to fully delve into the world again?

The executive producer on Black Mirror II seems to be involved for this iteration as well. Did not know that KING Art was also involved with the second game so at least you know they know what it takes to not ruin such a beautiful series.

Ohh that's amazing. Black Mirror games are some of my favorite.
I definitely thought this series was dead so it's a huge surprise. And done by the people behind Book of Unwritten Tales. Really excited about this!!

TripleSun

Ohh that's amazing. Black Mirror games are some of my favorite.
I definitely thought this series was dead so it's a huge surprise. And done by the people behind Book of Unwritten Tales. Really excited about this!!

Yeah! The game looks more modern and different compared to the others but I trust the gothic atmosphere and story will still come strong!

Tizoc

Argh Gabe Knight 2 crashed on me during Ch. 2 and I forgot to save ina dvance.
Thankfully I know what to do so I can get back to where I got the crash pretty quickly.

So far...I ain't feeling the FMV route they went with, game feels rather slow too.

Still I am liking the story so far.

sangreal

Argh Gabe Knight 2 crashed on me during Ch. 2 and I forgot to save ina dvance.
Thankfully I know what to do so I can get back to where I got the crash pretty quickly.

So far...I ain't feeling the FMV route they went with, game feels rather slow too.

Still I am liking the story so far.

Having played through it recently, it remains my least favorite GK game but you get used to the cheesy FMV eventually

I like the story, but I feel there is a big gap between when you as a player figure out everything that is going on and when the characters finally acknowledge it

Tizoc

Bah more crashes in Gabe Knight 2 :s
Still progressing slowly through it.
Gonna try to finish up to Ep. 4 tomorrow.

Tizoc

By Crom the graphics of Gabe Knight 3 are puke inducing.
Those visuals did NOT age well.

EDIT: Bah scratch that Machinarium
It is high time I started this game and finished it already!

BluWacky

Gabriel Knight 3 was almost unplayable when it was released, in my opinion - not because of the cat hair puzzle or whatever, but its horrific interface and camera. I can just about cope with the terrible graphics - and even then they weren't good - but it's just so frustrating to interact with that I never have done. I played it with a walkthrough when I originally completed it, and wanted to try and get back to it now that I've forgotten everything about it because everyone always bangs on about how amazing Le Serpent Rouge is, but I just can't do it.

Then again, I also thought Gabriel Knight 2 was hideous when it was released and still do now - the only one of the three I've never finished.

Machinarium is a delight and you will enjoy every minute of it :)

Tizoc

Heh I bought Machinarium on a few other platforms but never got around to playing it until now!
Backlog and all.
I really really need to make a thread about all these PnC games I played this year.
If I'd known any better I must've played about 50 PnC games by now; at least!

Tizoc

OK gang here's a little something interesting-
What was your very first PnC game? Was it a game that got you interested in the genre?

Well here's my little background

Let me take you back to a wondrous era: The Windows 98 era. Ah what a time; DOS and Windows 95 were still in use in some circles, and PC gaming was flourishing with many great hits coming out from various genres.

My dad had gotten a laptop, I was around 10=12 years old at the time and I had not known that laptops were rather pricey for the time.
Among the games that were somehow attached to my memories of playing on the laptop were Dune 2000, a DK Multimedia disc and a promo disc from LucasArts featuring a demo of a game for this thing called Star Wars (whatever the heck that was) and FULL THROTTLE
FPPkbgv.jpg

Me and my brothers didn't care for this weird looking game where you couldn't even see your character, and put most of our hours into Full Throttle.
Man what a game, I know we beat it as kids but the path to that was still a fun ride of figuring out what to do while trekking around like a boss as a badass black jacket wearing biker.
It's the simple things that matter to a young'un like me at the time.

From then on...hmm my scarce memory of playing any other PnC games are Sam and Max and Monkey Island 4 (MI4 is something I'd talk about in the future)....ah and Broken Sword 2!

...but yeah Full Throttle, it was a simple game but one that really got me to like PnCs, hence why once I could save up for a gaming lappy I stockpiled as many PnC games as I could and just recently you've seen me, this year, go through my large PnC collection and finding new lovely experiences (well to be exact; replaying games I enjoyed, discovering and being able to critique other PnC games that I missed out on from the 90s up til post 2010s, and experiencing modern PnC games).

In closing, I leave you with this beauty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syE5AmXAmMU

OK gang here's a little something interesting-
What was your very first PnC game? Was it a game that got you interested in the genre?

The Secret of Monkey Island

Saw an add for the game, with the box art, in an old swedish computer magazine about the Amiga, that was printed in black & white (I think) in a newspaper format.

The boxart and the title definitely made the game stand out, making it look a bit like a novel among more standard games.

Didn't get it until some time after I had gotten an Amiga 500, but it definitely felt like an instant classic for me, and it definitely got me hooked in the genre, and I've been that since.

But it also set some criteria for what kind of P&C adventure games that interested me, which are essentially two very specific ones.

*Non linear puzzle structure within the acts, so that you can work on multiple puzzles at once.
*Varied puzzles, where not everything should be the same kind of inventory combination puzzles

That's why more linear games like Machinarium feels a bit constrained, and games like Gemine Rue feels a bit "meh!". And why the latter Monkey Island games repeated use of variations of insult swordfighting felt a bit cheap.

Broken Age feels like one of the better modern P&C adventure games that captured the gameplay essence of the LucasArts games.

And when games can't be arsed to fullfil those criterias, I rather want them to go in a different direction, like Firewatch, Gone Home and games like that.

Or you have to pull of a fantastic story and a fantastic art style to get away with it, like Full Throttle managed to do, to compensate for it's limited and relatively linear puzzle chains.

Futaleufu

My first PnC (adventure game, not really PnC) was The Black Cauldron by Sierra, based on the Disney movie of the same name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u93a_wI4f_c

My english knowledge at the time was very limited, I still managed to complete the game.
That playthrough seems to use/emulate the Tandy 3 channel sound hardware, I remember the game sounding much, much worse.

sangreal

Gabriel Knight 3 was almost unplayable when it was released, in my opinion - not because of the cat hair puzzle or whatever, but its horrific interface and camera. I can just about cope with the terrible graphics - and even then they weren't good - but it's just so frustrating to interact with that I never have done. I played it with a walkthrough when I originally completed it, and wanted to try and get back to it now that I've forgotten everything about it because everyone always bangs on about how amazing Le Serpent Rouge is, but I just can't do it.

Then again, I also thought Gabriel Knight 2 was hideous when it was released and still do now - the only one of the three I've never finished.

Machinarium is a delight and you will enjoy every minute of it :)

GK3 was one of my favorite games. It's even how I ended up with this handle for the last 20 or so years. Still, I tried to replay it a few months back and I couldn't get past the first 10 minutes because the controls and camera were so terrible. No idea how I, or anyone, ever played that game

It's a shame nobody has bothered to fix some of the flaws in the game. Hidden within the game files is a ton of documentation meant for modding

Bookman

The Secret of Monkey Island

Saw an add for the game, with the box art, in an old swedish computer magazine about the Amiga, that was printed in black & white (I think) in a newspaper format.

The boxart and the title definitely made the game stand out, making it look a bit like a novel among more standard games.

Didn't get it until some time after I had gotten an Amiga 500, but it definitely felt like an instant classic for me, and it definitely got me hooked in the genre, and I've been that since.

But it also set some criteria for what kind of P&C adventure games that interested me, which are essentially two very specific ones.

*Non linear puzzle structure within the acts, so that you can work on multiple puzzles at once.
*Varied puzzles, where not everything should be the same kind of inventory combination puzzles

That's why more linear games like Machinarium feels a bit constrained, and games like Gemine Rue feels a bit "meh!". And why the latter Monkey Island games repeated use of variations of insult swordfighting felt a bit cheap.

Broken Age feels like one of the better modern P&C adventure games that captured the gameplay essence of the LucasArts games.

And when games can't be arsed to fullfil those criterias, I rather want them to go in a different direction, like Firewatch, Gone Home and games like that.

Or you have to pull of a fantastic story and a fantastic art style to get away with it, like Full Throttle managed to do, to compensate for it's limited and relatively linear puzzle chains.

Are you me?

I wholeheartly agree. Monkey island was also my first game (och jag är också svensk) I often feel that Kyrandia 3 should be mention in theses discussions, with different solutions on puzzels. Problem is that it was ages since I played it and I don't remember enough to put it in perspective on modern games.

Twimbleweed park is probably the game I enjoyed most in the genre in modern time.

Top Bottom