• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

I mean I am a huge fan of the manga myself and I see only great reactions everywhere except here. So I guess it's matter of where you look.

Even then it ranked at #6 on the AOTY vote here.
---------------------
The which opening is better war in my circle of friends has begun. #OP2ISBETTER #IWILLWIN

cntr

Banned
I see a lot of positive reactions too, but the most common reaction I've see is a mixed one, and even a lot of positive reactions thought of it as a typical shounen. Compared to the manga, which genuinely had universal acclaim and made it obvious that it was anything but typical even in those 21 chapters, what's more likely? That it's just some bizarro niche hate thing? Or that the anime was simply mediocre in a way that invited mixed reactions?

But anyway, they have possible excuses for this episode being like this, and the expansion was good enough. If they do the next two episodes properly, then it'll be fine, and this episode will be retroactively alright.

So we'll see.

Qvoth

judging from the OT subtitle... i assume stain will appear in this season?
if so then
AU7Amsc.gif

didn't actually watch season 1, i think i'll wait until he appears in season 2 before watching this

Finaj

Huh. I haven't read the manga, which is probably why I didn't notice the change in pacing. I usually only read the manga if the anime adaptation is a total abject failure (i.e. Tokyo Ghoul).

Hopefully things will pick up this season. I'm happy we're getting 25 episodes this time around.

cntr

Banned
OK, I haven't spoken to anyone in Japan about it. About the ratings, it should be noted that TV anime ratings are falling precipitously across the board so are of limited use now in determining whether people like a particular show or not. Season 2 should get a ratings boost just by airing in the timeslot before Detective Conan though.
Specifically, season 1 had low ratings for its timeslot, and afaik, performed noticeably worse than the shows that ran before and after it.

So yeah, it really wasn't that popular in Japan, especially relative to the manga.

Chase17

Solid episode. The opening with Deku was cool. All Might probably shouldn't leave a paper trail with all that vital information lol. Felt like there were more sound effects than I remember from season 1 (no idea if that's true or not), which I liked. The OP was good but I think I like the one from the first season more.

Do we know if this is two cour?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's cool that we're getting the first six episodes dubbed at the same time. I think I'll go with that (I can wait after the first six are done).

I'm surprised they already gave us All Might's real name.

The recap was a bit excessive, but considering it's been a year since people watched the anime I can kind of understand. At least it's not Recap Piece where it's only been a week and they have to take 3 minutes to tell us what happened.

Specifically, season 1 had low ratings for its timeslot, and afaik, performed noticeably worse than the shows that ran before and after it.

So yeah, it really wasn't that popular in Japan, especially relative to the manga.

It had the worst ratings in the Nichigo timeslot, yes, but Gundam IBO also had bad ratings and the Nichigo timeslot is actually being killed off after IBO finishes tomorrow. Looking at TV anime ratings across the board, all daytime shows have seen their ratings drop - which is a trend that's been going on for years (just look up Sazae-san ratings from past decades to today) but is really becoming apparent now.

This isn't to say that the My Hero Academia anime isn't unpopular in Japan - I don't really have a basis to agree or disagree with that assertion - but rather to say that TV is becoming less important for anime as streaming and movies become more important.

balgajo

As a manga reader I didn't like the pace of the first episode. Everything happened too fast, I didn't had time to digest things. I hope as a introductory episode things get better in the next one.

Magwik

Banned
I mean I am a huge fan of the manga myself and I see only great reactions everywhere except here. So I guess it's matter of where you look.

Even then it ranked at #6 on the AOTY vote here.
---------------------
The which opening is better war in my circle of friends has begun. #OP2ISBETTER #IWILLWIN

OP 2 is actually awful

NSESN

I liked the episode, my only complain is that they didn't adapt much story from the manga, but the pace wasn't bad so I can forgive it. The op is good, the animation too. They just need to be careful with the pace and it will be awesome for me.

Kaizer

Banned
Alright, finished the first episode of Season 2 - really liking the new OP a lot, not sure if it's better than the first one. As for the actual episode, the recap was okay as it has been a year since this first aired but I do hope going forward they won't be relying on flashbacks every week to save on the animation budget.

I started reading the manga at the beginning of this year, and I'm currently up to Chapter 81 so knowing where the story is going has me excited to see what they do with these 2-cours. Also it's really awesome to have the first six episodes of dub available the same day as the sub - this was my second time checking out the dub and I think I'll stick with it for now. Overall, really happy to have My Hero Academia back on air!

My Hero Academia S2 01

Awful. Like seriously, this is 13 episodes in and it barely moves faster then the One Piece anime with recaps just as long. At least it looks better?

It's amazing how the ending is so much better than the opening this season

Also we got a lot of best girl Ochako so everything is right.

Bit too many recaps in the first episode but it was still good. Only thing I didn't like was how ham-fisted Uraraka's origin/motivation was. All-Might good as always, lunch?

The closing OP was great, not that I mind but any idea why it was so focused on the girls?

Also, the power/battle tease right at the beginning reminded me of the opening to Mob Psycho 100.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm going to be honest I started the episode and thought I started the 1st season episode 1 instead.

The pacing is still really bad. The only important parts in that whole episode happened in the classroom. The intro was unnecessary. The round table of the school was unnecessary. All Might's letter scene was REALLY unnecessary and frankly ruins something later.

Ochako's scenes was great.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I think the slow burn is pretty great. Gets you more involved and gives more depth to every scene. Sucks for people who I guess need there to be plot development every second of air time with no room for exposition.

Also it's the first episode of a 2-cour season and they're already jumping into the action next episode.

Maximo

I think the slow burn is pretty great. Gets you more involved and gives more depth to every scene. Sucks for people who I guess need there to be plot development every second of air time with no room for exposition.

Also it's the first episode of a 2-cour season and they're already jumping into the action next episode.

5 minutes of recap was not necessary it has nothing to do with peoples preferences. The show had 13 episodes and Season 1 ended roughly 9/10 months ago it wasn't gone for years didn't need it and considering how season 1 went I would be alittle worried too.

Top Bottom