• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck's Batman Future in Doubt as Warner Bros. Plots Franchise

Sephzilla

Without reading the thread to see proposed replacements I am personally struggling to think of an actor that makes me go 'damn, he'd make a good Batman.'

This suggestion will probably get a very mixed reaction, especially since he's currently playing a different DC superhero, but I could absolutely see Stephen Amell playing Batman

stephen-amell.jpg

His version of Oliver Queen is already pretty much Batman-light, and I personally think Amell is a better actor than he gets credit for. Plus, he pretty much looks exactly like what I think Bruce Wayne would look like

How do you even replace Batman?

Easy, it's built into the story already. Dick Grayson (or another character, hell, make it John Blake) inherits the cowl.

From the beginning in BvS, Affleck's Batman was written as an older version of the character who had been crime-fighting for many years already and was in a semi-retired state. It shouldn't be surprising that Affleck isn't sticking around in the role forever.

Busty

Banned
I don't know if this is legit, but I remember reading somewhere that Joe Mango was Zack's first choice for Bruce before WB pushed for an A-lister

This would be cool

Joe is 40, has the physique, comes cheap and would happily do eleventy billion DCU films.

I'm sorry that Affleck is having these issues but if Warners are going to make a change it has to be now before The Batman.

Apart from Joe Mango I don't know who else they get for this. They could just have Armie Hammer reclaim the mantle from the aborted George Miller Justice League film which has an odd poetry to it.

It all works too perfectly.

SOLDIER

Good. Recast him and Cavill, keep Gal and reboot

This is the only way I can ever believe the DC movies can go back on track.

It doesn't matter how good WW was or even if Justice League ends up not terrible: you've already ruined this version of Batman and Superman, and that's not something you can hand-wave no matter how much better you make the followup movies.

It's honestly too late to salvage them.

Keym

This suggestion will probably get a very mixed reaction, especially since he's currently playing a different DC superhero, but I could absolutely see Stephen Amell playing Batman

stephen-amell.jpg

His version of Oliver Queen is already pretty much Batman-light, and I personally think Amell is a better actor than he gets credit for. Plus, he pretty much looks exactly like what I think Bruce Wayne would look like
Hell no, he smiles too much.

On the other hand, they really nailed it with the kid from Gotham. Maybe wait it out a couple of years and make a Batman Year One movie with him.

Aw man, I hope Affleck sticks around as Batman for his solo movie.

If they have to recast him, recast him but don't make a contrived story excuse for it like Dick taking over.

Maximus.

His Batman is amazing. A shame if it doesn't go for longer. I guess it was a problem casting an older actor for a role they wanted to keep for a long time. Jeremy Irons is also pretty old.

Busty

Banned
I vote Bradley Cooper

I like Coops
(I refer to him as 'Coops' so people think I know him which I do not)
but he wouldn't sign on for a load of films and he's four foot three inches which doesn't help.

Warners will want to follow the example of Cavill and Gadot, an actor who isn't well known yet (ie cheap) and would sign a huge contract.

Joe is 40, has the physique, comes cheap and would happily do eleventy billion DCU films.

I'm sorry that Affleck is having these issues but if Warners are going to make a change it has to be now before The Batman.

Apart from Joe Mango I don't know who else they get for this. They could just have Armie Hammer reclaim the mantle from the aborted George Miller Justice League film which has an odd poetry to it.

It all works too perfectly.

So, would this be like a scenario where Joe starts as Deathstroke and beats Batman's ass so bad he picks him to be his successor? Or are we talking Joe just shows up as Batman and nobody says a word?
I'm still betting the farm on Hammer. He's 30, in the WB talent stable, and would easily sign a 5-7 picture deal for pennies on the dollar compared to Affleck.

Fury451

Banned

stephen-amell.jpg

He's not what I'd call a stellar actor though. Dude seems cool as hell, high energy, and really nice, but he's not really charismatic enough for a tentpole movie franchise.

Anyone sleeping on Armie Hammer is missing out. He was in a few clunkers, but he was the best part about them. Really underrated, and I'd love to see him take a crack at the role.

stephen-amell.jpg

LOL no don't this man can't act, I don't want him in my Batman films plus WB would not cast a T.V actor for the biggest character they have.

Sephzilla

He's not what I'd call a stellar actor though. Dude seems cool as hell, high energy, and really nice, but he's not really charismatic enough for a tentpole movie franchise.

He's alright. He's definitely not the best actor ever but I do think he's a little better than he gets credit for, he's had a few really good acting moments on Arrow. Part of me wonders if Amell is just limited by what he gets to work with, i dunno. Like I said, Amell was a kind of out there suggestion that I figured would get a mixed response.

I mean, everyone also shit on Gal before Wonder Woman

Please cast Matt Bomer!

I knew Ben was bad from the start. He's too old to be playing this role. We need someone younger that can be Batman for years to come.

LosDaddie

Banned
It was always a mistake to cast Affleck for the role. He's too old to play such a physical role for a minimum of 3-5 movies. It's Batman, by far the largest IP in the DCEU. THe role doesn't need a big name actor to sell tickets. Should've cast an actor in their late 20s-early 30s for the role and let him own the mantle for a decade or more....not unlike what Evans is doing for Capt.

But it was even a bigger mistake to have Batman murdering a whole gang of goons on the way to save Martha.

jelly

stephen-amell.jpg

I feel like his voice hasn't broken at times.

Sojgat

stephen-amell.jpg

giphy.gif

I like him on Arrow, and I wouldn't be mad at him becoming the movie version of Ollie Queen, but that's never going to happen either.

J_Viper

And about this shit

Maybe Tom Cruise could pull that off but Affleck’s body hasn’t exactly been a temple.

Ben in BvS was ten times the size of Cruise

stephen-amell.jpg

Wtf lmao no this dude is the worst actor in the business right now

inky

Is it too late to rewrite JL? I mean, Superman is already dead (lol), so just kill Batman too and you have only Wonder Woman left to carry the thing +3 still untainted sidekicks to work off her.

That's all you need.

Busty

Banned
So, would this be like a scenario where Joe starts as Deathstroke and beats Batman's ass so bad he picks him to be his successor? Or are we talking Joe just shows up as Batman and nobody says a word?
I'm still betting the farm on Hammer. He's 30, in the WB talent stable, and would easily sign a 5-7 picture deal for pennies on the dollar compared to Affleck.

Some kind of flashpoint maybe? They could just Bond him and or have him show up like Cheadle did in Iron Man 2.

Also, I'd put money on Joe Mango over Hammer any day of the week. Joe did both Magic Mike films while Hammer did UNCLE and not a lot else.

jackdoe

Time to adapt the Knightfall trilogy (only without mystical back healing mumbo jumbo for a permanently paralyzed Bruce Wayne) with some sprinklings of Grant Morrison's run thrown in.

Problem with going for Grayson Batman is, well, they're making a Nightwing movie. If WB has the opportunity to make two successful series instead of one, they'll probably go with that.

Jon Hamm. Dude seems ageless.

Jon Hamm isn't about to go on a rigorous workout schedule, though. He'd be great if willing.

Top Bottom