• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
A Harley in the UK is not a good bike dude. It's a fashion statement. Nothing wrong with that, but it's like wearing Dickies - you have to do it on purpose and with a sense of irony.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Stinkles said:
A Harley in the UK is not a good bike dude. It's a fashion statement. Nothing wrong with that, but it's like wearing Dickies - you have to do it on purpose and with a sense of irony.

ha, yeah i'll admit to ankle deep and already drowning in a field i know precisely dick about. I play a bibson over an ibanez though, the harley idea was something along those lines. more about the style of the bike than the brand though. thinking about something like a 125 honda shadow to learn with?

AMUSIX

ghst said:
how do i not kill myself very quickly?
A few steps to this. First, take any and all safety riding classes you can. The more education you can get, the better rider you'll be. Second, do not, for a moment, think you can do something. Either you know you can do it, or you're not ready for it (a bit overly sweeping, but good to kepe in mind). Finally, know that everyone is a moron. Noone knows how to drive correctly, noone watches what they're doing, and anyone will not see you/cut you off/stop short in front of you/hit you. Just keep totally aware of everyone else, because they won't be aware of themselves, let alone you.
Never ride tired. You can learn all you need to learn, you can have thousands of miles in the saddle, but if you're tired, its easy to make that one mistake. Of course, if you use it as a commuter, some days you'll be a bit exhausted. Just be able to recognize your limitations and how they can change day to day.

second question, does it ever lose it's buzz?
Depends, if you use it as a daily commuter, then some days you might feel like it's a chore. It's more work than driving, more physically and mentally taxing, so if you're already spent, it certainly can be less than appealing. That said, it never becomes rote, riding on a beautiful day along a great street is always great. Of course, if you use it as a week-end rider, you end up only riding when you want and on those ideal days.

third question, what is the best way to begin?
take a class, buy a beginner bike. I'd stay away from full-sport models, like the Ninja, GSXR, and such. You can most certainly start on one, but a bike that sits you up a bit more will be a better launch pad.

fourth question, is it okay that i really want some kinda chopper/cruiser?
Why would that be bad at all? Do know that Harleys have a LOT of power...a good beginner cruiser is the Honda Rebel 450 (also comes in 250, but I'd strongly suggest the 450) also, the old Honda Shadow is a good starter. If you want something other than a sport bike, check out the Norton Commando, or the Triumph Bonneville.

Flo_Evans

AMUSIX said:
Why would that be bad at all? Do know that Harleys have a LOT of power...

Aherm. A factory harley only puts out about 50-60hp. With a curb weight pushing 800lbs. They don't call them "cruisers" for nothing. Sport bikes can easily double that HP and halve the weight. Keep in mind too that a HD gets about 30mpg due to its massive inefficient engine and huge weight.

There is nothing wrong with that style of riding. You can certainly enjoy the scenery at a more leisurely pace. The main problem with beginners on big ass cruisers is not the HP its the weight.

Flo_Evans

I haven't been riding as much as I would like. I hope everyone had a safe and fun 4th up on two wheels! Took the X-challenge out to a friends farm and got it nice and muddy!

wl2cmg.jpg

Then I jacked up the suspension (the BMW has a rear air shock, very nice for quick adjustments) and met up with some friends for a spirited road ride.

2vdpbnd.jpg

2hdofw9.jpg

The guy on the Triumph and the Suzuki both race, I was able to hang with them at the front of the pack pretty well but I was really wringing out the 650 rotax. (and the Triumph guy had a pylon :lol )

x0tf7c.jpg

She was the smallest pylon ever though! Couldn't of been more the a buck.

35li8so.jpg

Beautifully kept Kawa 900.

xc6gl3.jpg

A nice pair of Triumph classics

71i4qx.jpg

We are not lost, we just don't know where the fuck we are! I love exploring all the back country roads at a high rate of speed.

So where did you ride? :D

Just passed my motorcycle safety class with ease and my BF bought me my first bike. :D

1995 HONDA Magna with under 20,000 miles in showroom condition. Pretty good for a 13 yo bike.

Going to add some chrome accessories (a few) but keeping it to a minimum since its my first bike. Changing the seat to a rider only lowslung model.

67571ce3.jpg

Just got back from a 200 miles backroad mini adventure down southern Rt 66 from Wilmington, IL a ways there and back.

Amazing day!

Flo_Evans

Thread bump!

My brother just went to Puerto Rico for a week and rented a ducati multistrada. :facejealous

l-640-480-9f366673-c03b-4632-91d3-d029c4459d25.jpeg

l-640-480-5151f4f2-d593-41c5-94e6-82f0db3c5816.jpeg

l-640-480-2330f5ac-30b1-45f3-abe2-124a16855fb1.jpeg

I need to ride! But my foot is all fucked up :(

Nice Honda krypt0nian. I can't help but imagine a gay superman riding it around :D

izakq said:
What's the maintance like for a motorcycle? Would it be very tough for a beginner?

For basic oil changes, it's much easier than a car. (Oil filters are about 10$USD, and you only need about 3L of oil). Most things come off easily, and motorcycle mechanics charge much less for labour than automobile counterparts.

Here's an example, for my 1984 Shadow VT500, the wind knocked it over (being too lazy to use the centre stand JUST THAT ONCE) and it broke my front left indicator light. Well I had to fix the rear right anyway as the support post was shot (the light still worked).

Support post = 30$

New indicator light = 10$

My mechanic did it for 50$ (there was wiring I wasn't prepared to do).

For a car, a similar thing would have run you at least 400$.

Flo_Evans

izakq said:
What's the maintance like for a motorcycle? Would it be very tough for a beginner?

Depends. Most japanese bikes are very simple to work on and quite reliable. Ducati on the other hand... lets just say you should be mechanically inclined or budget a bit extra for service. My monster "required" a $500 service every 3000 miles. :lol

Flo_Evans said:
Depends. Most japanese bikes are very simple to work on and quite reliable. Ducati on the other hand... lets just say you should be mechanically inclined or budget a bit extra for service. My monster "required" a $500 service every 3000 miles. :lol

Honestly, though, it's still much cheaper than a car in the same class. Which in the case of your Ducati, would be a Jaguar, except for the bit where the Ducati wouldn't break down. ;)

newsguy

Damn you Flo. I used to have a 98 CBR F3, my first bike. She was also my only means of transportation for a while. I loved that bike. I traded it towards a new GSX-R and less than a month later it was stolen. FUUUUUUUUUUUCK I miss my bike.

newsguy said:
Damn you Flo. I used to have a 98 CBR F3, my first bike. She was also my only means of transportation for a while. I loved that bike. I traded it towards a new GSX-R and less than a month later it was stolen. FUUUUUUUUUUUCK I miss my bike.

No theft insurance? :(

This is why we have telegraph poles + antitheft chains. :(

newsguy

Dragona Akehi said:
No theft insurance? :(

This is why we have telegraph poles + antitheft chains. :(

I know, I'm an ass. Here in FL you don't need insurance. I did have a wheel lock on the front wheel, but I suspect that they lifted it and put it in a pickup.

newsguy said:
I know, I'm an ass. Here in FL you don't need insurance. I did have a wheel lock on the front wheel, but I suspect that they lifted it and put it in a pickup.

You aren't even required to have liability? Wow. For a new bike (hell even for an old one) it's usually pennies get complete coverage.

And you should have known that a new GSX-R would have made not-so-nice people look. Not that I'm trying to chastise you, you're already upset enough... But I lock up my '84 Shadow, and no one wants those. :S

White Man

Chony said:
I'm thinking about taking the motorcycle safety/endorsement class next month. I have a fuel efficient car now but I have always loved motorcycles. I only need to get over the whole 'safety' issue. That and I live in Seattle where it rains three hundred days a year and is all hills (which was hard enough when I got a manual). Wish me luck!

I have the same concerns about the weather, and it's pretty much the only reason I haven't looked into this more. Also, how big do the gas tanks tend to be on motorcycles?

newsguy

Dragona Akehi said:
You aren't even required to have liability? Wow. For a new bike (hell even for an old one) it's usually pennies get complete coverage.

And you should have known that a new GSX-R would have made not-so-nice people look. Not that I'm trying to chastise you, you're already upset enough... But I lock up my '84 Shadow, and no one wants those. :S

:( I justify it by remembering that where I live it's hard enough to drive a car, let alone a bike. South FL is a 3rd world country I swear it.

Flo_Evans

Dragona Akehi said:
Honestly, though, it's still much cheaper than a car in the same class. Which in the case of your Ducati, would be a Ferrari, esp. for the bit where the Ducati would aways break down. ;)

Fixed :p

The problem with the duc is there is only 1 shop around really no competition like the harley or honda dealers.. Luckily I had a friend that loved tinkering with crazy Italian valves so I was all good. :D

White Man said:
I have the same concerns about the weather, and it's pretty much the only reason I haven't looked into this more. Also, how big do the gas tanks tend to be on motorcycles?

Depends on the bike. A cafe bike like the monster has a small as hell gas tank. I was lucky to go 100 miles on its 2 gallon tank. A larger touring bike will hold 6-7 gallons and go 3-400 miles.

And no insurance on a new sportbike?! insane. :lol

Flo_Evans

wow so google just launched their craigslist competitor and I spot this gem while checking it out...

home built 3 wheeler,
2.3 ci 4cyl motor,auto trans,power brakes.
built on 84 ford tempo chassis,body from 84 merc topaz.
82 yamaha frame and wheel.
needs rotors turned.
have all papers for title.

9amyad.jpg

19p2y1.jpg

$2500 :lol

That would definitely make a statement going down the road! :lol

And I tried the cape while I ride, but it likes to get stuck when I stop in traffic. ;)

Sigh. When I was on vacation in Oakland the guy I was staying with was totally into motorcycles, and we went on a few rides and it was AMAZING. Seriously, it was one of the most exhilarating feelings ever. I totally want to get into riding but living in Chicago makes it seem less than ideal because we only have decent weather for a few months out of the year. It doesn't matter anyway, I don't currently have the money for a bike or a place to store one, but it is my goal to own one in the next couple of years, especially if I move out to the East Bay.

Here's a picture of the back of my friend's bike, if I remember correctly it is a BMW R 1200 RT:

2837864957_eabcc52843_b.jpg

Also, it is scientifically proven that guys on motorcycles become 100x more attractive!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I am filled with envy.

(Not at the bastard lovechild of a bike and car)

Jugendstil said:
Sigh. When I was on vacation in Oakland the guy I was staying with was totally into motorcycles, and we went on a few rides and it was AMAZING. Seriously, it was one of the most exhilarating feelings ever. I totally want to get into riding but living in Chicago makes it seem less than ideal because we only have decent weather for a few months out of the year. It doesn't matter anyway, I don't currently have the money for a bike or a place to store one, but it is my goal to own one in the next couple of years, especially if I move out to the East Bay.

I'm in Chicago and I can tell you that you miss riding when its gone, and pine for good weather all winter long.

But its STILL worth it. :D

krypt0nian said:
I'm in Chicago and I can tell you that you miss riding when its gone, and pine for good weather all winter long.

But its STILL worth it. :D

I know, but humor me. I am trying to make excuses as to why I shouldn't be rash and immediately buy a motorcycle. If I had access to a garage to store one, I would probably be considering it right now. However, being out in California, nearly all of my friends out there ride and they get to do it all year round too. Most of them don't even own cars. It made me insanely jealous.

Hunter D

I want to get me a cycle motorcycle really bad. Anyone mind recommending something cheap and small? I'm 5'11 by the way.

doomed1 said:
i have plans to get the new Royal Enfield model when it comes out next riding season. i can't wait :D

The bullet deluxe model by Royal Enfield caught my eye. Great looking bike. Can't wait to try one.

Flo_Evans

Due to global warming or something we have actually had some nice 50+ weekends already!

I got a new rear rack to celebrate!

3469xra.jpg

:D

Bonus: The BMW shop is building this AWESOME cafe style racer.

1z65kbo.jpg

Me likey!

So anyone get their bike out yet?

Flo_Evans

The SV is a great bike. Lot of bang for your buck. I still want to get another ducati monster but an SV is pretty much the same thing for much less and more reliable.

I would've gotten my bike out a few times by now...if I had a bike :lol. Luckily my brother was nice enough to let me take his Aprilia Shiver out for a spin.

As of right now I'm waiting on a 2009 Yamaha R1. Could have it as soon as this coming week. It's just been confirmed to me as February, more specifically 3rd week or possibly the 4th. I'm quite excited. First liter bike.

Wow I just ran across this thread today I put a deposit down a 2008 Kawasaki Versys can't wait. I sat on one at the NY Bike Show and right away I knew it was a keeper.

Cheeto

Flo_Evans said:
The SV is a great bike. Lot of bang for your buck. I still want to get another ducati monster but an SV is pretty much the same thing for much less and more reliable.
I thought about getting a 250 for starters, but I figured I'd get tired of it very quickly and want an upgrade...so I'm thinking it's a good middle ground.

Flo_Evans

Cheeto said:
I thought about getting a 250 for starters, but I figured I'd get tired of it very quickly and want an upgrade...so I'm thinking it's a good middle ground.

Sort of depends on what you want to use it for. If you have never ridden anything starting on a 250 is probably a good idea. You WILL want more power eventually unless all you are doing is riding around the city weaving in and out of traffic.

One of the more mental bikes I've ridden is an uncorked Aprilia RS50... It has the power of a small weedeater but weighs nothing and is set up with race suspension.

1bw3t.jpg

To me it's all about riding as many different bikes as I can throw my leg over. Don't be too concerned about outgrowing a bike because they are easy to sell.

15wm82.jpg

I think I've outgrown this... :lol but its still a ton of fun to tear up and down the street on. Gets a mad speed wobble at 25mph. :D

subrock said:

Thumbs UP! :D

Flo_Evans said:
So anyone get their bike out yet?

Not yet, the roads here in Holland are still covered (literally) in salt. And I'm not riding the Ducati through all that shit. Especially not now that I've bought a new one. I traded the old 620 monster in towards a red 2003 Ducati 998 biposto.

(This picture was taken by the previous owner)
2wm0t3t.jpg

Here it is at my parent's place, next to the old Monster:
2qb53s3.jpg

I still haven't ridden it though. It's torture waiting for this goddamn winter to end.

/edit: That Kawasaki is a masterpiece by the way.

Flo_Evans

Fallout-NL said:
Not yet, the roads here in Holland are still covered (literally) in salt. And I'm not riding the Ducati through all that shit. Especially not now that I've bought a new one. I traded the old 620 monster in towards a red 2003 Ducati 998 biposto.

I still haven't ridden it though. It's torture waiting for this goddamn winter to end.

Yes yes yes fuck yes. :D

My buddy is getting his 996 race prepped to take on the track this summer. I'll have to get some pics when he gets the fairing and the tank on it.

And yes I am jealous. You could always ship it over here until it thaws out over there :p

garath

It's nice out, but the roads are still shit here in CT unfortunately. However, I've already prepaid for 2 trackdays at New Hampshire Motor Speedway for next year. Also taking the Lee Parks Total Control advanced riders course up there with my first trackday of the year. I've heard nothing but good things about the course.

Maybe if the roads get a little cleaner I'll pull the bike out. We're supposed to get snow Thursday though :(

I ride a 2003 Kawasaki ZX-9R.

Nester

It was 35+ last weekend in Minnesota so I took the Scooter out for a quick ride to pick up chinese food down the street. When I was approaching my house I hit a small patch of ice I couldn't see with the lighting in that area and I dumped. I was only going about 15-20mph.

Fell on my side, didn't even hit my head but was glad I had my helmet on anyways. One of my turn signals is a little scratched up on the outside of it but nothing is broken otherwise. Surprised more of the bike didn't get scratched up considering it slid about 8-10 feet.

Hasn't deterred me, I was back on the scooter last night running to the gas station to pick up some smokes!

Top Bottom