• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(ND Jan 23rd 2013) New Pikmin 3 Screenshots

deviljho

That's because it focuses on good, charming art that advances the mechanics of the game over the "look at me!" shit-tastic technological wizardry being presented as exemplars in this thread.

lol.

I'm not much of a fan of discussing graphics for a Nintendo game, because to me, Nintendo had already adopted the approach of spending to make it look "good enough," not feeling the pressure to always match what others are doing. The argument made against their approach will almost always be "it's 2012, 2013, and we've already had XYZ games that can do much better" when in reality Nintendo goal is not to make the graphics for all of their games "keep up" with the "standard" for the average modern game.

Of course, they will spend more time and money making some games prettier and have explicitly mentioned that. But I think that for even the best looking Nintendo games, focusing on graphics (in certain ways) is falling into a trap. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done. But just to be aware.

The visual appearance, art style and graphics of a game should be appreciated. Blemishes will always bother different people in different ways. These things are important, and I'm not trying to downplay the appreciation of a good looking game at all. At the end of the day, when you sit down and enjoy a game because it is fun and also appealing to look at, then perhaps there will also be room to cultivate an appreciation for blemishes.

Yep. 60fps, 720p.

It's an RTS, not a shooter or a racer. What PS360 RTS does it look bad next to?

At least you can count on Nintendo to make their games run at playable framerates. Nice.

Actually, I believe is 720p 30fps no AA

I think we all know that not all games require 60 frames per second. We can reasonably count on Nintendo to release games with appropriate framerates. They care about this.

Darryl

Banned

i can't even tell if you're being serious about this or not. did everything i just say go over your head? my entire message was pointing out that it isn't the immediate areas that makes Pikmin complex, it's having them interact with a large world even when you're not around and the troubles in developing that AI

and you link me to this...a game with no objects interacting in the background. shit, it looks like it barely has AI whatsoever. the characters are jumping off the cliff like they were born to die. this isn't an RTS, it's like a platformer(?). you would pull this on me in an argument about the wonderful 101, a much more similar game.

zoukka

This game will stand out from the competition visuals wise. It's not pushing the hardware clearly, but looks very clear and expressive.

Speevy

Banned
No, I got what you were saying. I'm just trying to point out that this fluid army deal (that's what I'd call it when an army moves up, over, and around everything at your command) isn't something that's very taxing for developers.

It's just not something that's a big deal. RTSs have existed for a long time.

So if Uncharted included some bugs that crawl around Nathan Drake's feet in a completely predictable pattern according to one button press or another, it would have the same scope?

Way to move the goal post. We've already established that other games have the scope. Now it's this nebulous Pikmin AI, as if game designers are scrambling to figure out the secret behind getting a small creature to follow, attack, or regroup.

No matter how much you try to make it seem otherwise Pikmin 3 is, like many Nintendo games, based on a philosophy of conservative development. Nintendo thrives by this philosophy, and it has actually served them well in the past. But they're not going to be winning any tech awards. They haven't since about 98.
I like how you trot out that asinine Uncharted hypothetical and then accuse me of moving goalposts. lol

I'll take that as a no then, there are no similar PS360 games than shame Pikmin 3 visually. And yes, it makes sense that an RTS might not be as graphics intensive as the top of the line AAA racing, shooting, adventuring or roleplaying games. I mean they certainly aren't on PS3 or 360.

Darryl

Banned
No, I got what you were saying. I'm just trying to point out that this fluid army deal (that's what I'd call it when an army moves up, over, and around everything at your command) isn't something that's very taxing for developers.

It's just not something that's a big deal. RTSs have existed for a long time.

They have, and they've grown very little compared to other genres and there's a reason why. Starcraft 2 is the biggest visual RTS showcase and it looks like an Xbox 360 launch title even though it's PC exclusive. If it wasn't for a few of the finer visual effects, it could be a PS2 game.

The fluid army concept matters little because it's more of a stylistic choice.

NBtoaster

I like how you trot out that asinine Uncharted hypothetical and then accuse me of moving goalposts. lol

I'll take that as a no then, there are no similar PS360 games than shame Pikmin 3 visually. And yes, it makes sense that an RTS might not be as graphics intensive as the top of the line AAA racing, shooting, adventuring or roleplaying games. I mean they certainly aren't on PS3 or 360.

Because there hasn't been a major RTS on PS360 in years.

this thread makes me feel sick...
I just want to have fun :(

I'm with you. Pikmin is too good a franchise to fall into this graphics/console war bickering.

If people don't buy the game when it comes out due to graphics, that's their loss, especially since the camera is zoomed out the majority of the time.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
everyone's all jumpy hahah.

we should just all get our Pikmin 1 or 2 discs and play.

seriously, maybe we should suggest a new feature to evilore.

instead of entering a captcha, maybe a small window could pop up every couple dozen posts and force us to play a few short rounds of pac-man, to remind everybody what it's all about...

Xun

Considering the origin of Pikmin 3 I really don't think it's fair to rate it on its visuals.

As I said earlier the lack of anti-aliasing is still strange to me, but that's nothing to do with the power of the system.

NBtoaster

Considering the origin of Pikmin 3 I really don't think it's fair to rate it on its visuals.

As I said earlier the lack of anti-aliasing is still strange to me, but that's nothing to do with the power of the system.

It's spent 2 years as a Wii U game, it's origin is irrelevant.

Xun

It's spent 2 years as a Wii U game, it's origin is irrelevant.
I realise that, but why bother redoing many assets when they could spend more time finessing the gameplay?

I know it's not the best argument, but even so.

Besides we don't know how it'll look at E3, and for all we know it could receive a graphical bump.

NBtoaster

I realise that, but why bother redoing many assets when they could spend more time finessing the gameplay?

I know it's not the best argument, but even so.

Besides we don't know how it'll look at E3, and for all we know it could receive a graphical bump.

Because the artists/modellers and engine developers don't work on the gameplay.

ahm998

Pikmin should has ground texture like these :p

ibp2LYnmQJjEkC.gif

jmls1121

Banned
After all these years with Nintendo EAD and we are still doubting their graphical decisions and priorities. If Nintendo is not using AI, it is probably for a gameplay reason. I assume they learned that the game is a ton better at 60 fps and that the impressive depth of field hides the jaggies. Have they ever let us down in this department?

daakusedo

What is going on in here? Uncharted VS Pikmin what

Wait for nintendo to deign releasing infos about the game.
Until then ground texture talk and mind-numbing comparisons.
Can't believe we don't even know the structure of the main game or even the goal or story.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/11/40...waters-for-new-cartoon-series-based-on-pikmin

Nintendo may be getting into the cartoon business.

The company behind the Wii U, 3DS and countless colorful gaming creations has been secretly toying around with the idea of creating and releasing a series of original animated shorts based on one of their relatively new video game franchises. The shorts, designed to be viewed on the company's 3DS, would either be given away or possibly sold through Nintendo's online store.

Nintendo's senior managing director and prolific game designer Shigeru Miyamoto is personally overseeing the creation of the cartoons, which are based on the Pikmin series he first created for the GameCube in 2001.

"They'll be released sometime before the release of Pikmin 3" due out this year, Miyamoto told Polygon in a recent interview in New York City. "Possibly as a Nintendo video. If they're popular we could consider selling them."

In it, the game's main character, Captain Olimar, is caught blending up what appears to be a red, vivisected pikmin, and then drinking it. When Olimar sees the characters, he begins walking toward them with a knife. They back away until they bump into a massive pile of what Olimar was actually cutting up and blending, a massive pile of carrots.

"When Olimar first discovered the Pikmin he named them based on the PikPik brand carrots in his home world, so he clearly loves carrots," Miyamoto said. "I thought it would be fun to have a scenario where it seems like he is going to eat the Pikmin. So it's kind of dark, but he doesn't eat them."

I guess they're going to go with the Kid Icarus route for this game. Sounds like it's a way off still....*cries*

NBtoaster

Uncharted, Mororstorm, Gears of War, etc came out 5+ years ago too. I wasn't aware we were limiting things to recent releases?

If you insist only RTS be compared, it's not fair if they're 5 years old. There's been a generation of progress in optimisation and techniques.

But at least Halo Wars had AA...

If you insist only RTS be compared, it's not fair if they're 5 years old. There's been a generation of progress in optimisation and techniques.
The point was old as dirt games were being brought up in response already. The "age" excuse really just doesn't hold water if high watermarks like Uncharted, Motorstorm and Gears were already being used.

But by all means, go ahead and cite something newer. Anything.

But at least Halo Wars had AA...
At a wonderous framerate that averages around 20fps. It was 720p though, and the first console Halo to manage that iirc.

NBtoaster

I don't think Motorstorm, Gears, or Uncharted look better. Gears 1 especially looks gross these days.

There aren't any 60fps RTS on PS3 or 360 so a good comparison can't be made really (if Pikmin 3 really is 60fps). If you just compare 60fps titles I can't think of anything that does look better. Though Nintendo land on the same platform does.

interesting! So this could be the reason for the delay, to coincide with the cartoon.

Also, I gotta say I love this slightly morbid and less family friendly side of Nintendo!

If these cartoons are what are delaying the game...I swear to Jennifer Lawrence that I will have Miyamoto's head.

Although I doubt it's the case.

Top Bottom