• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koreans all looking the same...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanspeed

Banned
Americans often like to act like they're hot shit being so enlightened, but let's see you grow up in a 1000x more homogenous (in all respects, not just ethnic) and hypercompetitive place and see how you think the nature of beauty works then.
You would think by standing out. But what do I know.

The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.

Asian cultures seem to heavily value conformity and unity. Apparently in China they force left handers to write with their right hand for that reason, at least according to my Chinese chem lab partners and Chinese lab TA.

jay

In response to the bolded, there are other countries just like this that don't have such an obsession with cosmetic surgery. It seems like a pretty uniquely Korean thing.

It's just like an entitled American to point out that Korea has more plastic surgery than other homogenous countries.

Ok without makeup they don't look too strange.

7qHPkjT.jpg
God damn, the one with the pink pants is hot!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Standing out is definitely more risky in homogenous countries. It can work in certain cases and you'll become more famous for it, but more often than not you'll just be shunned and treated poorly. Then again, the same can be said (to perhaps a lesser degree) about the United States.

- J - D -

Though I suppose this an exaggerated comparison on my part, it makes me think of certain anime and how female character faces look exactly the same except for the hair and eye color.

I'm surprised none of these beauty contestants are wearing colored contacts. Too obvious?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
In response to the bolded, there are other countries just like this that don't have such an obsession with cosmetic surgery. It seems like a pretty uniquely Korean thing.
Seems uniquely Korean if you're ignorant of other countries. Go to places in Japan, China, Taiwan, etc that are like Seoul and you'll find it there too. Statements like this are doubly ignorant. Firstly about the state of plastic surgery in other countries, and secondly by not understanding the nationwide Korean perspectives on it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Seems uniquely Korean if you're ignorant of other countries. Go to places in Japan, China, Taiwan, etc that are like Seoul and you'll find it there too. Statements like this are doubly ignorant. Firstly about the state of plastic surgery in other countries, and secondly by not understanding the nationwide Korean perspective on it.

I can only speak on Japan, and cosmetic surgery there is not nearly as wide spread or accepted as it is in Korea. Not even really comparable. No country embraces cosmetic surgery on the level that Korea does. You don't have people giving cosmetic surgery packages as graduation gifts anywhere else, for example.

When I look at those before/after surgery shots, I can hardly believe how much they can alter the jawline. All these girls have that same exact jawline. It's really fucking offputting.

jay

Seems uniquely Korean if you're ignorant of other countries. Go to places in Japan, China, Taiwan, etc that are like Seoul and you'll find it there too. Statements like this are doubly ignorant. Firstly about the state of plastic surgery in other countries, and secondly by not understanding the nationwide Korean perspective on it.

Man, you are trying really hard with these false equivalencies.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/niptuck-nations-countries-cosmetic-surgery/story?id=16205231

No one said it's uniquely Korean. The level of obsession is uniquely Korean. But then I don't know what it's like to grow up in Greece, so maybe I'm too ignorant to say anything in this thread.

So many of them got nose jobs. They all have the same fucking nose with a more pronounced bridge, skinny width and downturned columella.

Pau

Let's be honest: if the plastic surgeons didn't make these contestants look so similar (although really, it seems to be more the make up doing it), most people wouldn't notice nor give a fuck. This feels like it comes down to people being like: "I don't like how people with plastic surgery decide to look therefore it's bad!"

Not to say that plastic surgery isn't problematic, but it's a complicated issue. Simply saying it's "bad" isn't going to make it go away.

ToxicAdam

Aside from the noses, I think there is enough differences in the facial features to tell them apart.

It's just when your brain is presented with so many faces that look similar (in a general sense) you have a hard time picking apart the little nuanced differences. Its why people can't tell twins apart when they only know them casually.

Plus there is a definite 'culture' in the pageant world that steers all these women to look (hair and makeup) and behave a certain way. Those that do it the best, get rewarded and everyone else falls in line trying to emulate the past winners.

- J - D -

Let's be honest: if the plastic surgeons didn't make these contestants look so similar (although really, it seems to be more the make up doing it), most people wouldn't notice nor give a fuck. This feels like it comes down to people being like: "I don't like how people with plastic surgery decide to look therefore it's bad!"

Not to say that plastic surgery isn't problematic, but it's a complicated issue. Simply saying it's "bad" isn't going to make it go away.

Youre right, saying it wont do a thing, but can I say it if we take some consideration of the implications such a prominent and widespread show of homogeneity in these beauty shows would be to young Korean girls?

Munin

Surgery has maybe a 25% contribution to them looking similar. The rest is simply identical make up and identical lighting. The photo with them together shows that pretty well.

I also don't think any of our resident weeaboos and K-pop freaks would still find them attractive without makeup and eyelid surgery. Basically, the question is would you prefer a way uglier girl just for the sake of "less homogenity"? I don't think so.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Man, you are trying really hard with these false equivalencies.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/niptuck...ry?id=16205231
I don't see how that disproves my statements. There are multiple factors involved.

1) Total number of surgeries does not indicate the type of surgery done. There are minor things like eyelid and botox that are very common. There are things that makeup otherwise accomplishes, thus making it more a time/effort/money saving thing than drastic facial change. Counting it all "plastic surgery" one in the same is ignorant of more practical and realistic views.

2) You must take into consideration economic development and competitiveness. Plastic surgery correlates with these, so you take a country with a massive rural population, like China, and that affects ratios for your calculations.

3) South Korea has become very advanced in it, making it better and cheaper there, and plenty of people travel to Korea to get theirs done, affecting the numbers.

4) Just as with availability, the perspectives on it vary greatly depending on what part of society you are in. This goes for every country. Even where it is very common, there is plenty of anti-surgery mindset to be found. Speaking of a national obsession is ignorant in itself, yet saying it is exclusive to them compared to other countries with a high rate is even more so.

I'm not making false equivalences. I know the extent to which Korea has accepted and practices it compared to other countries. They are deeper into it, but it is no where near far enough to act like it some exclusive sickness the country has.

i-Lo

How racist would I be if I conceded that I have a real hard time telling apart asians (not brown folks) with similar facial bone structure and hair cuts and that I require proper gander to overcome this obstacle?

Pau

Youre right, saying it wont do a thing, but can I say it if we take some consideration of the implications such a prominent and widespread show of homogeneity in these beauty shows would be to young Korean girls?
What would you propose? Make it against the rules to allow women with plastic surgery to participate? Would it be more or less bad to tell young girls that if they're born with bodies they don't like, too bad, they shouldn't change them? It honestly feels like getting societies (not just S. Korea but also other plastic surgery heavy countries like the United States, Colombia, Brazil, etc) to change their beauty culture to the extent that less women are seeking plastic surgery would be impossible. Which is sad but I don't know. The alternative doesn't seem realistic. :(

I don't know if less plastic surgery at this point would lead to less insane standards of beauty - or just less people being able to meet them.

jay

I don't see how that disproves my statements. There are multiple factors involved.

1) Total number of surgeries does not indicate the type of surgery done. There are minor things like eyelid and botox that are very common. There are things that makeup otherwise accomplishes, thus making it more a time/effort/money saving thing than drastic facial change. Counting it all "plastic surgery" one in the same is ignorant of more practical and realistic views.

2) You must take into consideration economic development and competitiveness. Plastic surgery correlates with these, so you take a country with a massive rural population, like China, and that affects ratios for your calculations.

3) South Korea has become very advanced in it, making it better and cheaper there, and plenty of people travel to Korea to get theirs done, affecting the numbers.

4) Just as with availability, the perspectives on it vary greatly depending on what part of society you are in. This goes for every country. Even where it is very common, there is plenty of anti-surgery mindset to be found. Speaking of a national obsession is ignorant in itself, yet saying it is exclusive to them compared to other countries with a high rate is even more so.

I'm not making false equivalences. I know the extent to which Korea has accepted and practices it compared to other countries. They are deeper into it, but it is no where near far enough to act like it some exclusive sickness the country has.

Let's see if I follow. The study is ignorant because you decide which surgeries are relevant and I am ignorant for using the study for anything. You are not making false equivalencies, you are just denying repeatedly that Korea is more obsessed with surgery because the list of Asian countries you provided all have the same amount, which you must know based on some study that measures the types of surgery you find relevant. Also, Korea does have a higher amount of surgery, but it is ignorant to say their obsession is stronger than other countries that have less surgery.

Your point is you don't like it being discussed as an illness and there are contextual things that help explain what's going on. That's fine, but you are posting like a jerk by asserting repeatedly that I and others are ignorant.

Dom Brunt

"They say it about brothers, but I can guarantee everybody in Finland look alike." - Charles Barkley

Miss Finland 2013 contestants then:

The dresses..... *shudder*

Yeah some of them really do look alike. But at least one has had some work done so she might stand out. But there really are certain faces that a lot of people in Finland have. I even have names for them lol. It's the same as how I see certain features in Russian people so that I am often able to tell if someone is Russian, and British people also have some face types that really, really many people seem to have.
Must be the inbreeding, them living on an island and all. J/K lol

But looking at the before pictures like in the previous thread, there really is a lot of variation in South Korean faces but these after pictures are damn scary. The more I think about it the more disturbing it gets. Especially since I really preferred most of the before pictures (apart from the Habsburg jaws).

Also I have a really hard time telling who's who when looking at the pic in the OP and the makeup-free group pic, why don't they have makeup on that accentuates their own best features individually instead of looking like they've all put their faces into a machine that spray paints the exact same makeup on everyone's face. That's not how makeup is supposed to work. Or maybe the photoshop is throwing me off.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Holy crap. I hope this emerges as a watershed moment that causes Korea to wake the fuck up. Homogeneity is boring.

Meanwhile, Japanese tend to try to differentiate themselves from one another through fashion.... Yes, it's better.

Honey Bunny

This is just the first step into our glorious transhuman future. Embrace it gaf.

Btw Orange is clearly the best she has dimples

I find it pretty easy to tell Asians apart. It's ridiculously easy to tell a Japanese woman from say a Korean woman, there's like a night and day difference between the two. That gif is the closest to "they all look alike" that I've ever come across in my life.

But then I guess it helps that I've lived in both countries.

With that said, all the women in the OP need to eat a few burgers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom