• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 2: Off The Record |OT2|

Orayn said:
Yeah, that was probably the greatest source of difficulty in the first game, fair or not. Some survivors could handle themselves reasonably well, while others seemed to have their AI permanently set to "spastic child." The large number of injured and female (sexism :lol) survivors who couldn't use weapons was also a huge hassle.

Yesterday I finally could defeat the 3 convicts and save the girl in the plaza....

You don´t know how many time I restarted it to save all and defeat them...

Btw in youtube there are some videos of Off The record... spoiler

Chao

Really worth it if you played vanilla DR2? I'm not sure about how much extra content is there.I mean, in that review I can see the same psychos (well, except for that clown that I've never seen but I could have missed) and even the same cutscenes like with the saw guy dying and Frank/Chuck making a pun about it.

sarcoa

Been playing over last few days for review. Really conflicted. The new area and a few combo cards are nice, but it seems like 80% of the game is exactly the same. I'm still defaulting to my OJ/Wolverine Claws/Spiked Bat refresh every time I pull survivors back to the safe area.

Photography is nice. Haven't been too deep into sandbox yet but it seems like golding most of the challenges requires a high character level.

sarcoa said:
Been playing over last few days for review. Really conflicted. The new area and a few combo cards are nice, but it seems like 80% of the game is exactly the same. I'm still defaulting to my OJ/Wolverine Claws/Spiked Bat refresh every time I pull survivors back to the safe area.

Photography is nice. Haven't been too deep into sandbox yet but it seems like golding most of the challenges requires a high character level.

So they pretty much just threw Frank in with a new area or two and a new boss or two and SUPER CAMERA ACTION.

Fun. Will wait for bargain bin.

sarcoa

KibblesBits said:
So they pretty much just threw Frank in with a new area or two and a new boss or two and SUPER CAMERA ACTION.

Fun. Will wait for bargain bin.
Haven't finished it yet but yeah, probably. A couple survivors have been shuffled around and Frank has new dialogue but mostly I feel like I am replaying the same game.

Tailzo said:
How is the ps3 version this time?

Very curious to see if they made some improvements this time as well. PS3 version was baaaaaad.

Thx for the OP. DR is one of my favorite franchises but it still hurts a little to see the current state of it. Blue Castle should have stuck to their guns, said fuck the fans (I still remember that Survey put out by CapcomUnity awhile back) and continued on with Chuck Greene. I'm sure Crapcom is just happy to get something out there while they make sense of the mess that it Ultimate MvC and Dragon's Dogma.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Chinner said:
they said on giant bomb that they had play the first three case files and they were p much the same.

So, it's Dead Rising 2 proper?

I'll take 10 copies, Capcom. Never give us a Chuck Green again.

In during Chuck Green defense force

I will buy this game
during the steam winter sale

And lol at one of the reviews mentioning the engine chugging with more zombies on screen. Way to go with those optimizations on the engine Blue Castle. PC version ftw.

theDeeDubs

Should have the PS3 version of this today after work. I don't mind a release like this but I hope we get a proper DR3 next. Hopefully we can play as either in 3. I'm a Chuck fan but I know some people dig Frank and the photography too.

TheSeks said:
So, it's Dead Rising 2 proper?

I'll take 10 copies, Capcom. Never give us a Chuck Green again.

In during Chuck Green defense force

No more Persona tips for you ever again!

;D

I didn't make it that deep into Dead Rising 2. I'm on the fence about buying this because it wouldn't be too repetitive since I barely scratched the surface in DR2 and the sandbox mode seems fun.

atomsk

Party Pooper
My friend wanted to do the co-op sandbox mode... so now I have a copy of this game.

I did beat DR2 (gamefly), so I'm kind of curious to see what has changed

Except I'm knee-deep in Dark Souls, so who knows when that will happen

xtrasauce said:
Any word yet on whether they fixed the framerate?
The eurogamer review states that

It also fails to resolve familiar niggles, with inventory management and item retrieval still fiddly and awkward, and while there might be more zombies on screen, the engine sometimes chugs as a result.

However, loading times have been halved according to previews and developer interviews. If framerate is a concern, PC version is the way to go.

Adding autosave checkpoints when entering or exiting an area if fucking stupid though. Why even have bathroom save spots if that is the case? Jesus. Apparantly it is too hard for someone to run a minute or two out of there way to find one of the many save spots that are located everywhere. Or the save after a case file. God, give me an option to play the game DR1 style with 1 save and only bathrooms. Crapcom indeed.

Eurogamer said:
Other changes are less welcome. Venture into a new part of Fortune City and a small piece of text in the top left of the screen will inform you that a checkpoint has been reached, allowing you to carry on from there should Frank's last block of health be chipped away by bite, blade or bullet.
This represents the final nail in the coffin of the original's almost 'roguelike' design, a concession to accessibility that's all the more disappointing given that yellow-and-blue logo on the box. It might have been a boon for the awkward boss battles - another structural weakness that seemingly hasn't been considered worthy of realignment - but then Capcom had already stuck save points in before most of those anyway.

Fucking ugh

I hope you can turn this off =(

duckroll

Everything I have heard about this makes it sound like the developers have finally decided to compromise to "more acceptable" mainstream game design decisions, and are selling out on all the elements which made Dead Rising as a series interesting and unique to me. Hopefully none of this bullshit makes it into Dead Rising 3 should they ever make it. As for this watered down cash-in rip off, I'm not touching it with a ten foot pole.

duckroll

Criminal Upper said:
How dare they try and capture a larger audience.

Yes, because we should all praise and glorify big publishers who want to chase larger audiences at the expense of game design which isn't even broken, right? 2 million copies isn't enough for Capcom to justify that there's nothing wrong with the game design?

Lol. Terrible defense. Try harder.

eXistor

duckroll said:
Everything I have heard about this makes it sound like the developers have finally decided to compromise to "more acceptable" mainstream game design decisions, and are selling out on all the elements which made Dead Rising as a series interesting and unique to me. Hopefully none of this bullshit makes it into Dead Rising 3 should they ever make it. As for this watered down cash-in rip off, I'm not touching it with a ten foot pole.
I agree. I'm still getting it, but I'm certainly not happy with these changes. I was so happy when Blue Castle made DR2 the way I wanted it to be. They totally got what made DR1 so great and stuck with it in DR2, but now they caved? Weak man, weak. Not everything needs to be made for everyone (something FromSoftware gets). I'd want to make damn sure I kept the fanbase happy personally.

DaBuddaDa

duckroll said:
Yes, because we should all praise and glorify big publishers who want to chase larger audiences at the expense of game design which isn't even broken, right?
Different game design to reach a different audience. There is nothing wrong with that unless you happen to not be a part of the new audience.

Suairyu

Banned
Criminal Upper said:
Things large audiences like:
first person gameplay
modern, quasi-realistic military settings

ergo, Mario should have just those elements, right? Trying to capture that larger audience and all.

DaBuddaDa said:
Different game design to reach a different audience. There is nothing wrong with that unless you happen to not be a part of the new audience.
Inferior game design tp pander to a different audience. The challenging structure was pretty much Dead Rising's most major appeal. The moment-to-moment gameplay wasn't exactly shit-hot. By adding a checkpoint you've missed the point and removed one of its biggest positive features.

duckroll

DaBuddaDa said:

I think there is something very wrong with a series abandoning the original fanbase to seek out a different audience.

duckroll said:
I think there is something very wrong with a series abandoning the original fanbase to seek out a different audience.
I am numb to it and even expect it at this point. After what Ubisoft did to Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell, nothing any developer does to their franchises surprises me anymore.

Excuse me while I go cry for the death of a tension, challenge filled Dead Rising.

DaBuddaDa

Darkshier said:
I am numb to it and even expect it at this point.
Pretty much this. It also works both ways; sometimes a series I originally didn't care for will move in a direction I like, so you win some and you lose some. In this case, this is a very odd off-shoot of DR2. I wonder if the changes will carry over to DR3 or not.

Chavelo

Criminal Upper said:

I swear, man. Everytime there is a Capcom thread for a new game, you're just there to defend the shit out of it.

PR or just a normal employee, perhaps?

Criminal Upper said:
Well, I mean

Yeah?

By making concessions to the nature of the game, you're essentially making it so Dead Rising is a sloppily-controlling zombie sandbox whose gimmick of multiple weapons grows old quickly.

Dead Rising has a ridiculously huge audience already, one that so-called mainstream games would kill for. To sacrifice that audience for a hypothetical larger one seems like it ultimately makes no one happy.

Lothars

DaBuddaDa said:
Pretty much this. It also works both ways; sometimes a series I originally didn't care for will move in a direction I like, so you win some and you lose some. In this case, this is a very odd off-shoot of DR2. I wonder if the changes will carry over to DR3 or not.
I don't think all the changes will carry over to DR3, I would imagine it's a test to see what changes work with fans and which don't.

duckroll

Lothars said:
I don't think all the changes will carry over to DR3, I would imagine it's a test to see what changes work with fans and which don't.

And this is a test I'm happy to participate in, by not buying this title.

kyubajin

Well, it seems that it's really really just Frank West skin + camera... I kinda liked DR2 but I'm not gonna play through it again.

Also, why is Frank fat?

Chinner

Banned
duckroll said:
i think, according to GAMES TM, you can turn off the checkpoint system?

kyubajin said:
Well, it seems that it's really really just Frank West skin + camera... I kinda liked DR2 but I'm not gonna play through it again.

Also, why is Frank fat?

Yeah, that's the one thing I'm not happy about. That damn Dan Aykroyd look they gave him.

kyubajin said:

Also, why is Frank fat?

Modelers/artists completely inept in capturing his original look. I've never accepted or been comfortable with how he looks on this engine and had always hoped they would have fixed it =/

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Good job, Chinner, this is an excellent thread. I would feel icky about giving Capcom $40 for this but Dead Rising 2 is sweet so I'll probably buy it eventually.

Glad I watched that Giant Bomb quick look. I was planning on buying this, but I had no idea it was literally the same game with a few tweaks. I'll hold off, at least until there aren't tons of other games coming out that are far more worthy of my time and money.

I'll pick this up next year when it's £10 or less.

Top Bottom