• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 1 PSN account per Vita - Cancel your preorders :(

This is terrible as I thought I would be getting psp/ps1 game with ease than importing them physically. My country charges 25% taxes on products costing over 35 dollars (if i was to import), so it pisses me off that Sony would region lock the account.

Yeah but there should be no reason why we can't store e.g. JP games on one memory card, US games on another, when you want to change, you take out the memory card, format the Vita and login with the other account. Pain in the ass but I can't see any way they can prevent that working.

Yeah, that's what I said at the start of this thread. PITA, but if you use so much digital content from more than one region then you probably will have more than one memory card anyway.

And if you don't, it will probably still be on the memory card, just locked to its respective user and it will be usable when you switch accounts again.

Road

To me this is the worst of the bad news.

Battery, TV out, memory card, those are all things that have a possibility of improving in the future (and I don't plan to buy at launch anyway). However, I don't see Sony ever changing this account situation at all.

How annoying is the restore to factory settings options

Because if this is something i can delete after having saved my music and vids ( trophy should be sync ) , then this is not an issue .i rarely game " on the go" with more than 1 main game so if i can just ..delete and change account , all is well .

Gacha-pin

And this is why sony explained how to set up the system at E3.

edit: I didn't even read the above post...and where they explained it was not E3... :(

RpgN

Wait, I thought it was possible to have multiple accounts on it? And now it resets to factory settings if you try to activate another account too? So, it will be a pain (or rather impossible) to just DL demos and trailers from other stores? Why make it worse than on the PSP?

Man, bad news keeps coming *pissed off*

iceatcs

Also, I am now hoping saves aren't account locked either.
More likely, due of trophies.

Welcome to future of gaming.
Non-free MP, locked savedata, online DRM only, advert invade, banned USB dinput etc...

That's funny, all sound like made/idea by Microsoft.

Zoe

Non-free MP, locked savedata, online DRM only, advert invade, banned USB dinput etc...

Consumers have spoken with their wallets.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I know I've bought some Japanese psp games but it's been so long...how do you switch regions on a psp again? You'd almost think there'd be a homebrew solution if the system weren't standing in the way.

Angry Fork

What's the point of region free then? Sorry if this has been answered already I haven't checked the rest of the thread.

It was great when on PS3 sometimes Japan would get demos for games I'd be interested in so I logged onto that name and could download it. I only use multiple PSN's for demo's basically but still a nice thing to have.

Consumers have spoken with their wallets.

Millions of stupid/easily duped consumers who make things worse for the thousands that know about the bullshit. Even if everyone on this forum boycotted companies with bad policies it wouldn't make 1% of a dent.

OSHAN

What's the point of region free then? Sorry if this has been answered already I haven't checked the rest of the thread.

Imports.

I don't see the point in limiting accounts if they're the same region. People do share within some households. It's true.

Kyoufu

Saves on game cards aren't account locked. You just can't unlock trophies if you play on a different account.

Could be different for memory card saves, but I'm hoping it isn't.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I know I've bought some Japanese psp games but it's been so long...how do you switch regions on a psp again? You'd almost think there'd be a homebrew solution if the system weren't standing in the way.

for physical games on UMD you don't need to - just put them in.

For downloaded games you have to sign into the correct region PSN account. So you need to be connected to the internet. And it doesn't remember your password so you have to type that in (unlike PS3 which can remember it)

So slightly annoying if you're outside and don't have connectivity, but much easier than a factory reset..

i just hope i'll able to upload some saves to the cloud with my psn plus account

I just realised that the PS3 4.0 firmware fucks up PSP for god knows what reason. Instead of letting you download, install and then copy across PSP/PS1 games to the PSP, you can now only download and then install them straight to PSP. So instead of having my PS3 act like a library of my games that I can put over onto my PSP, I now have to either have an enormous list of installs sitting on my XMB or redownload a game every time I want to play it. Who the fuck thought this was a good idea? Who wants to bet the Vita will be the same? It's like Sony are intent on making their products a pain in the ass to use.

Considering Japan will play a major role in the success of vita this is disappointing to say the least. I imagine quite a few Japanese games never see the light of day outside of that country.

V_Arnold

My main problem with this is simple.

I do not know how big of an SRPG/JRPG support this system will get.
And I also do not know if EU or NA will be better for those.
Or if it is NA, will I be able to buy NA games digitally from an NA marketplace legally?

I really hope if the above is the case, then the generation wont see a shift like they did with Nintendo for suddenly starting to favor EU instead of NA when it comes to JRPG's. (Or favor it from the start so I can know what region to change.)

Takao

Banned
So if I and my brother want to share one it's impossible? Thanks VITA it was nice knowing you but no thanks.

You can still game share, you just won't be able to have your own private account with your own friends and stuff without having to remove all your info.

Very disappointing Sony. So are the going to mandate that all devs allow for multiple save slots for games? Because there are 4 gamers in my house (me + wife and kids) and we all want to play on our own profiles.

daevv

My wife is not pleased. We will eventually have 2 Vitas and this won't be an issue. Maybe this will convice her that buying 2 systems at launch will be better.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
*shrug*

still buying day one, I always had 1 PSN account on my psp anyways

gd1dH.gif

Huff

Banned
My family has never been one to share portables. Currently have about 6 or 7 DS and 2 3DS for me and my two brothers.

Not if it's like the PSP, if you try to copy any content that isn't intended for the region of your current PSP account then it'll tell you to log in to one that is on both your PS3 and PSP to copy properly. I think there are different rules for demos, I seem to remember hearing people say they had no problem with those, but I've definitely been forced to delete and reactivate different accounts to transfer full retail games.

Don't think so. The license would still be tied to different accounts.

I have never had this issue when transferring demo's using my PC.

Bento

This is somewhat of a bummer since I live in the EU but will be locking myself to the NA store since I don't want to miss out on the inevitable JRPGs that will receive no EU localization. Sucks since that means I won't be able to use my credit card and will instead have to buy point cards for all my PSN purchases. Not a deal breaker but disappointing none the less :(

So... any word on signing in into your PSN account on both Vita/PS3 at the same time?

I case you're wondering why I'd want to do that, it's because I'd like to be able to use Party Voice Chat with friends on Vita while playing online games on my PS3 ;-)

Maybe, maybe, we can install any of the content that you download in your PS3, no matter the account, into Vita, and you play that content using the only account of Vita.

More or less like when you download something from your US account and you install and play it in your main EU account. That would be a good solution for all people who buy digital content in several regions.

Djin1979

Ok it's a bit off topic, I plan to import it and i have a silly question :

What about the voltage ? Do i have to buy an adapter aswell ? can I recharge it exclusively via USB ? I live in Canada.

conman

So... any word on signing in into your PSN account on both Vita/PS3 at the same time?

I case you're wondering why I'd want to do that, it's because I'd like to be able to use Party Voice Chat with friends on Vita while playing online games on my PS3 ;-)
If Sony plans on doing anything like what WiiU is doing (as Sony has suggested), then you'd have to.

Massa

Ok it's a bit off topic, I plan to import it and i have a silly question :

What about the voltage ? Do i have to buy an adapter aswell ? can I recharge it exclusively via USB ? I live in Canada.

Portable devices are usually 110-220v.

androvsky

Lawl. Seriously?
Seriously. If you want to have your library of PSP games sitting on your PS3's harddrive for easy swapping, you have to leave them as uninstalled bubbles that sit at the top of your game list. And the PSP games you already installed in previous firmwares refuse to be moved to the PSP. Same thing with PS1 games, so the PS1 game you're currently playing on the PS3 can't be transferred to a PSP without downloading it again.

And all the above applies to the Vita also, but at least with that you can put the games back on the PS3 afterwards. Like I said in the firmware thread, I'm hoping that since it involves the handheld systems it'll get fixed soon.

edit: the reason would be that the Vita handles all content management from its side, so leaving games uninstalled makes it much easier for the Vita to find it. I suspect the "copy" operation was disabled so people wouldn't try to move stuff from the PS3, but it makes a mess for PSP owners. They probably changed how their DRM works too... still not pleased.

Lawl. Seriously?

Yep. If you've got any installed at the moment, go press triangle and go to copy. It'll tell you that you have to re-download the game, making the current install a complete waste of space. Fat chance I'll ever bother re-downloading them now and it discourages me from even buying new games. I liked having my digital PSP library displayed on my PS3.

Edit: And even if you leave them as uninstalled bubbles on your game list, you can only have up to 32 at a time, which would in turn mean you won't be able to background download (as 32 is the limit of background downloads/uninstalled games).

Kyoufu

Seriously. If you want to have your library of PSP games sitting on your PS3's harddrive for easy swapping, you have to leave them as uninstalled bubbles that sit at the top of your game list. And the PSP games you already installed in previous firmwares refuse to be moved to the PSP. Same thing with PS1 games, so the PS1 game you're currently playing on the PS3 can't be transferred to a PSP without downloading it again.

And all the above applies to the Vita also, but at least with that you can put the games back on the PS3 afterwards. Like I said in the firmware thread, I'm hoping that since it involves the handheld systems it'll get fixed soon.

edit: the reason would be that the Vita handles all content management from its side, so leaving games uninstalled makes it much easier for the Vita to find it. I suspect the "copy" operation was disabled so people wouldn't try to move stuff from the PS3, but it makes a mess for PSP owners. They probably changed how their DRM works too... still not pleased.

Wait why does PS3 install PSP games? I'm confused, unless you just mean the PS1 games.

Wait why does PS3 install PSP games? I'm confused.

What's to get? They acted much like a PSN game would except instead of playing them, they'd give you the option of copying them to a PSP. So you'd download the installer, install them to the PS3, plug a PSP in whenever you wanted to play a game and then copy the game across. The benefit of this was that you could sort all your PSP games into its own folder.

But now, Sony have taken out the middle step. You now download the installer, plug the PSP in and install the game straight to the PSP. You can't sort the installers into a folder and there's a limit on how many installers and background downloads you can have at one time (32, so if you have 30 installers on your menu, you can only background download 2 things at a time).

androvsky

Wait why does PS3 install PSP games? I'm confused, unless you just mean the PS1 games.

So you can have all your PSP games downloaded and put away in folders, in case you have more PSP games than will fit on your memory sticks. Kinda like how the Vita has content management, except it's even better for the PSP since downloading, installing on the PS3, then copying to the PSP is much, much (much!) faster than doing it all on the PSP.

didnt we know this a while ago?

Know what? The firmware update fucking things up went under the radar because Sony said absolutely nothing about it. We had to figure that out on our own. The limit of only 1 PSN account per Vita though, we didn't know that swapping accounts was somehow going to be even worse than the PSP. Quickly changing accounts would've been fine. Resetting the entire system to factory settings? Not so much.

Aeana

...What?
Seriously? What?

That is RETARDED.

LiquidSolid said:
But now, Sony have taken out the middle step. You now download the installer, plug the PSP in and install the game straight to the PSP. You can't sort the installers into a folder and there's a limit on how many installers and background downloads you can have at one time (32, so if you have 30 installers on your menu, you can only background download 2 things at a time).

syoaran

Ok, so I can buy a EU VITA and create a new JPN account and only play Japanese games? or can I buy retail EU/US games and they work fine - but I don't get access to their online feature set?

Top Bottom