• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 4 |OT| - Did You Miss Me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bk1S0w7.png

5up2Q8f.png

It's finally here!
Series 4 of Sherlock
Premiere date:
New Year's Day at 8:30PM GMT on BBC One in the UK
9PM EST on PBS in the US

Episode air dates and titles:
Episode 1
ylfZGkF.png

1/1/17
8:30PM GMT/9PM EST
Officially released synopsis:
In episode one of this new series, written by Mark Gatiss, Sherlock waits to see where Moriarty will make his posthumous move.

One mysterious case in particular baffles Scotland Yard - but Sherlock is more interested in a seemingly-trivial detail. Why is someone destroying images of the late Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher? Is there a madman on the loose? Or is there a much darker purpose at work? Something with its roots deep in Mary Watson’s past…

Episode 2
WNqVMOv.png

1/8/17
8:30PM GMT/9PM EST
Officially released synopsis:
In episode two of this new series, written by Steven Moffat, Sherlock faces perhaps the most chilling enemy of his long career: the powerful and seemingly unassailable Culverton Smith – a man with a very dark secret indeed.

Episode 3
AFH9cmu.png

1/15/17
8:30PM GMT/UPDATED: 7PM EST

The Final Problem
Official synopsis:
Long-buried secrets are revealed as Sherlock and Watson face their greatest challenge ever.

Cast:
Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes
Martin Freeman as Dr. John Watson
Amada Abbington as Mary Watson
Mark Gatiss as Mycroft Holmes
Rupert Graves as Detective Inspector Greg "Graham" Lestrade
Una Stubbs as Mrs. Hudson
Louise Brealy as Molly Hooper
Toby Jones as Culverton Smith

Media
Sherlock Series 4 Trailer 1
Sherlock Series 4 Trailer 2
Sherlock Series 4 teaser: It's Not A Game Anymore

Spoiler rules for the thread: Anything that has aired is fair game to discuss without spoiler tags. That means as soon as the first episode airs in the UK, you can discuss whatever you like, and it's on us Yanks to avoid until our airing.

Looking forward to discussing with everyone!

Saudades

Shit, it's already been 3 years since the last season. Despite being only 10 episodes it has spanned my whole high school and college life already.
Hope the new one is more crime and less drama (the third season wasn't my cup of tea).

Jesus I was in my third year of university the last series we got. This show really puts years on you...

Oh and the whole point of last year's special is that Moriarty is definitely dead, yeah?

Ogni-XR21

By far not as hyped as I was before season 3, but maybe that's a good thing. Not that I did not like S3, but it just could not live up to S1 and 2.

I might have to wait a bit longer before I get to watch it this time since the BBC iPlayer doesn't work with any free VPN I tried recently and I have no idea when it airs in Germany - and I would still have to wait for a release that includes a non dubbed version anyway.

Auctopus

The series has got more and more disappointing with each season, especially considering its resolve. Nevertheless, it's still some of the best TV around.

Yeef

It's also airing on PBS, for those in the states. Not sure if the PBS broadcast has commercial breaks, but I hope not!

Jesus I was in my third year of university the last series we got. This show really puts years on you...

Oh and the whole point of last year's special is that Moriarty is definitely dead, yeah?

Just rewatched A.B recently. It makes it pretty clear that he's dead but someone (hinted to be his twin or brother, or a collective) is continuing in his name.

New season should be amazing. Still think that Moriartys brother is Sherlock and Mycroft's older half brother. Their mum having had him with another man before meeting thier dad.

It's also airing on PBS, for those in the states. Not sure if the PBS broadcast has commercial breaks, but I hope not!

No commercial breaks, but it gets a 2hr timeslot because of Masterpiece's framing segments (they had Alan Cumming last year I believe), PBS fundraising, + some behind the scenes content with the cast (agian, that's what they did with S3).

Sliver

Moriarty was such a shitty villain, made me lose so much interest in this show. That and the decreasing quality overall. Was the special any good?

Otnopolit

Can't believe it's been a year since The Abominable Bride.

I'm excited.

That Christmas Special left a very bad taste in my mouth. I hope this season is less aware of itself and instead focuses on strong writing instead of blatant fan service and taking itself wayyyy too seriously.

Lestrade's "Ooooh you bastard" when Sherlock reveals himself to be alive is one of the best moments of the show for me.

Honestly put into perspective how Lestrade sees Sherlock: thinks he's an insufferable ass, but clearly thinks highly of him as well as cares for him.

For Sherlock, I know it cemented that yes, he considers Lestrade a friend as well as that one person he wanted to protect in TRF.

Flandy

Why is the OT up so early? Do TV/Movie OTs not go up a day prior like gaming does?

I hope this is better than Season 3

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Why is the OT up so early? Do TV/Movie OTs not go up a day prior like gaming does?

I hope this is better than Season 3

I think movie and TV threads are 1 week prior to the release in whatever the home country of the series is. So we're good here.

Very excited for more Sherlock. I'll be delighted to have this show in my life again.

higemaru

I can think of a bunch of reasons as to why someone would want to deface pictures of Margaret Thatcher, that doesn't sound like a crime for Sherlock Holmes.

nampad

Yes I did!

Just recently started watching Elementary which is good on its own but not comparable to Sherlock (to be fair, it is a weekly show and it does not have Cumberbatch and Freeman). I just hope I won't be "over-sherlocked" when the new episodes start arriving.

Quick

Banned
That Christmas Special left a very bad taste in my mouth. I hope this season is less aware of itself and instead focuses on strong writing instead of blatant fan service and taking itself wayyyy too seriously.

I liked it, but I can definitely see where you're coming from.

In some ways, I was actually hoping it would be purely standalone, where Moffat and Gatiss just decided to mess around and make a Victorian-era episode with no ties to the modern day. But on that same note, I didn't mind it.

A Gatiss episode to start the season

:/

Gatiss' Sherlock episodes have been solid, actually. Don't let his Doctor Who episodes fool you.

Miker

It's crazy what this show started as - a modern, grounded interpretation of Sherlock Holmes - and what it is now. I've largely enjoyed the insane escalation season after season and the corresponding asspulls to go along with it, but it's getting a bit much. Reminds me of Ace Attorney where you start out defending your high school friend in a simple homicide trial in AA1 and end up leading a foreign country's revolution against the reigning regime in AA6.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Love this show, but I don't really "wait" for it and instead I just treat every season like it's the last one.

Looking forward to it now that it's close!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom