• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump calls NATO "obsolete"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not only he says a good deal is possible with Britain, he has the throw the EU under the bus as well.

Now who could benefit from a broken Europe?

Who?

Who?

images

Who?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
He says the Nato is obsolete because it was created many, many years ago. What kind of logic is that even supposed to be?

So was the USA. Trump to disband the country? lol

Eastern Europe might get the worst of it from Putin's end. Americans will get the worst of it from Trump's end. That leaves Western Europe to save us all...or at least, save themselves.

Dierce

Trump is obsessed with making people "pay." Look at his interviews from the 80s. What's the point of peace if America can't take a punitive stance and demand a cut from it?

The orange mother fucker believes a government should be run like a criminal enterprise where you go around demanding protection money.

Fuck all you assholes who support this worthless excuse for a human.

grumble

This is the most human thing ever...

Step one: have horrible thing happen
Step two: solve horrible thing at great cost
Step three: put measures into place so horrible thing doesn't happen any more
Step four: horrible thing doesn't happen for a while
Step five: dismisses the horrible thing, saying it doesn't happen anymore and don't need annoying safeguards
Step six: removes measures
Step seven: horrible thing happens again

Meanwhile Mattis is saying that if NATO didn't exist, we would need to create it.

And he's explicitly warned that Russia's aim is to dismantle NATO. As in, he is cautioning to be wary against it as a bad thing. Understandable, considering Mattis helped partially shape the way NATO is today, as... 'Supreme Allied Commander Transformation'. Man, military titles are weird.

Still, should be 'interesting' to see a President at odds with their Secretary of Defence before either are even in office.

I feel like this is racing toward the breaking point.

If Republicans are so deranged in their partisan fervor that they openly ignore Trump handing Putin everything he wants on a silver platter, then there's no longer any possibility of a national debate, no longer any potential for compromise, and no longer any peaceful scenario where both sides occupy the same country.

This man gets it.

We have reached a position whereby there is no agreed upon definition of 'truth' or 'facts', no universally reliable source of information. We have instead the complete demonisation of the other whereby two groups are driven by a cultural identity, and a worldview based on polar opposites.

The election has exposed the divisions of this union and they only seem to be accelerating. Russia need only watch and wait.

norinrad

He's essentially said the same thing before although not using the exact word obsolete, this isn't really a surprise

He wasn't president when he said this. The reality is he is now. People should really stop saying they are not surprised.

The reality is he's president now and our lives and the world at large is in for some real shit.

BowieZ

Banned

If Republicans are so deranged in their partisan fervor that they openly ignore Trump handing Putin everything he wants on a silver platter, then there's no longer any possibility of a national debate, no longer any potential for compromise, and no longer any peaceful scenario where both sides occupy the same country.
Well it's also up to their constituents (especially Republican) aghast at this news to be DDOS'ing their receptionist's phone lines with dire warnings and criticism.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This is the most human thing ever...

Step one: have horrible thing happen
Step two: solve horrible thing at great cost
Step three: put measures into place so horrible thing doesn't happen any more
Step four: horrible thing doesn't happen for a while
Step five: dismisses the horrible thing, saying it doesn't happen anymore and don't need annoying safeguards
Step six: removes measures
Step seven: horrible thing happens again

Sounds like the anti-vax path.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's such a fundamental misunderstanding to think that NATO and countries with American military bases want to be protected by America. In some senses they "want" it, because it's been the stable world order. But America took stewardship over these countries in order to protect American interests. Asking these countries to "pay up" is ridiculous because it's asking them to pay for America's hegemony over them.

It's like taking your "get out of jail free" card and asking all the other players to pay you to not throw it in the garbage.

I think this is the negative effect of the thinking of American exceptionalism and saying "we're the greatest country in the world" over and over again. After awhile you'd start to believe that other countries like being under your thumb so much that they'd grovel for it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor

Yup, it sure does feel like racing towards a breaking point. The sooner at this point, the fucking better. Cause then maybe we can start the rebuilding process faster.

Donald is openly hostile against CIA, FBI, NSA, EU, Mexico, China, NATO and the press.

Don't wanna imagine the hooker parties at the Kreml right now.

You don't fuck with all of those without having to pay a price at some point. At least this is what I am hoping for.

Concerning his intended trade deal with UK, which goods do they actually want to trade with them? German or Japanese cars?

FStubbs

It's all worth it for the racism. Racism has always been the core of the Republican agenda and Trump's complete about-face on decades of Republican foreign policy with token resistance from the Republican party as a whole (I really only see McCain and Graham against this stuff) proves it.

Donald is openly hostile against CIA, FBI, NSA, EU, Mexico, China, NATO and the press.

Don't wanna imagine the hooker parties at the Kreml right now.

Not all the press. Just the "liberal" press. Also I thought the FBI loved Trump and vice versa since the Comey did everything he could to get Trump elected.

nampad

If Putin really planned everything to happen like this, I have to at least give him props for that machiavellian masterpiece.

Of course.

At the very least he's getting his talking points from Putin collaborators.

If Putin really planned everything to happen like, I have to at least give him props for that machiavellian masterpiece.
According to the report, he didn't. Even Putin underestimated the colossal collective stupidity of American voters.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
O4qILzy.png

Then he added ", a good friend told me so".
This is well beyond negligent. This is throughly malicious.

As tragic as it may be, the US has ceased to be an ally. It is time to accept it and plan a new global strategy for the next decade. There's a real chance the damage will be immense even if Trump doesn't get a second term.

TAJ

Will it reduce my taxes if he pulled out from NATO and invested less in the military? Not holding my breath though

Where have you been?
He's talked about huge military spending increases.

jelly

Will it reduce my taxes if he pulled out from NATO and invested less in the military? Not holding my breath though

The military complex won't like not having to do build and do stuff so how does he compensate, start a few wars with someone?

Trump.
Won.
On.
These.
Positions.

People.
Voted.
For.
This.

Would someone who ever brings up voting ever like to answer the fucking question of registered voters being purged from the rolls in NY and AZ in particular during the Dem process? Until then shut the fuck up that this is some democracy. It's not.

It's such a fundamental misunderstanding to think that NATO and countries with American military bases want to be protected by America. In some senses they "want" it, because it's been the stable world order. But America took stewardship over these countries in order to protect American interests. Asking these countries to "pay up" is ridiculous because it's asking them to pay for America's hegemony over them.

It's like taking your "get out of jail free" card and asking all the other players to pay you to not throw it in the garbage.

I think this is the negative effect of the thinking of American exceptionalism and saying "we're the greatest country in the world" over and over again. After awhile you'd start to believe that other countries like being under your thumb so much that they'd grovel for it.
Those countries are then able to spend far, far less on their own militaries because they have Us troops in their country and live under America's nuclear umbrella. They could ask them to leave whenever the base leases are up and some countries do but most don't because they get Us tax payers to fund their own defence.

Well it's also up to their constituents (especially Republican) aghast at this news to be DDOS'ing their receptionist's phone lines with dire warnings and criticism.

They aren't, though. They're saying they don't even want to know they truth. They don't want Trump to release his taxes, because they fear it will implicate him. As long as they feel like their choice was validated, as long as they feel like they were "right", they have no actual concern for any of the horrible reality or consequences.

I honestly think we should break clean. Let's just try and and do it in a mutual, mediated manner before it happens in a way that's completely out of control.

This is the direction my thinking is treading towards. The breakup of the US seems to be inevitable.

kris.

Banned
I'm sorry, other nations.

We suck a lot right now.

this stupid, stupid, STUPID motherfucker oh my god

Jisgsaw

Those countries are then able to spend far, far less on their own militaries because they have Us troops in their country and live under America's nuclear umbrella. They could ask them to leave whenever the base leases are up and some countries do but most don't because they get Us tax payers to fund their own defence.

And the US has its hegemony, which up till now it considered to be worth the price.

Distancing himself from this mindset could actually bring the Republican establishment to turn on him and impeach him.

royalan

Trump.
Won.
On.
These.
Positions.

People.
Voted.
For.
This.

As much as I want to hold Trump voters' feet to the flames for the blatant racism they supported, I can't blame them too much for not being aware of how truly batshit insane some of Trump's foreign policy positions are.

1) The average person has no idea what NATO is anymore. This is in large part due to our country being unforgivably terrible at educating the people about America's interests abroad and what they actually are. The average American probably does think that NATO is an expensive relic from a bygone war that's more about protecting lazy European countries than protecting American interests. That's what happens when you keep your people ignorant.

2) Are media must shoulder some blame for not covering Trump's foreign policy at all. Because, you know, Hillary wrote some emails and apparently that shit was important.

chadskin

Here's an English source:
U.S. President-elect Donald Trump called NATO obsolete, predicted that other European Union members would follow the U.K. in leaving the bloc and threatened BMW with import duties over a planned plant in Mexico, according to an interview with Germany’s Bild newspaper that will raise concerns in Berlin over trans-Atlantic relations.

Quoted in German from a conversation held in English, Trump predicted Britain’s exit from the EU will be a success and portrayed the EU as an instrument of German domination with the purpose of beating the U.S. in international trade. For that reason, Trump said, he’s fairly indifferent whether the EU breaks up or stays together, according to Bild.
https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...obsolete-and-dismisses-eu-in-german-interview

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Is this bait? I can't tell anymore.

norinrad

This is well beyond negligent. This is throughly malicious.

As tragic as it may be, the US has ceased to be an ally. It is time to accept it and plan a new global strategy for the next decade. There's a real chance the damage will be immense even if Trump doesn't get a second term.

The damage usually happens once they leave office, see Reagan, his policies eventually brought us to an economic meltdown. W's policies well we all knew how that one ended as well. They seem child's play compared to Ultron.

Where have you been?
He's talked about huge military spending increases.

So, if he doesn't want to spend on NATO, Iraq/Afghanistan, specialized planes and, I presume, American forces for UN peacekeeping missions... what military projects is he wanting to spending more money on? Nuclear arsenal and invading China?

commedieu

Banned
As much as I want to hold Trump voters' feet to the flames for the blatant racism they supported, I can't blame them too much for not being aware of how truly batshit insane some of Trump's foreign policy positions are.

1) The average person has no idea what NATO is anymore. This is in large part due to our country being unforgivably terrible at educating the people about America's interests abroad and what they actually are. The average American probably does think that NATO is an expensive relic from a bygone war that's more about protecting lazy European countries than protecting American interests. That's what happens when you keep your people ignorant.

2) Are media must shoulder some blame for not covering Trump's foreign policy at all. Because, you know, Hillary wrote some emails and apparently that shit was important.

They dont trust media, or facts, or science. So where does that leave our country?

Like all things revealed. People just double down. Ignore Nato for a second and think about his constant stream of actions and words. People voted for it.

No reason to think any understanding of nato would mean anything after kellyanne gave them their retorts for Facebook.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Americans are paying for something they benefit from whether they know it or not: a world system dominated by the American order.

If countries fund their own militaries and no longer lean on US support, then there's no reason to regard America as papa and defer to their interests anymore. If you were going to write a history of how America shrunk from a superpower into a typical world player, this would be the first chapter.

Snaku

Banned
This government must be preserved in spite of the acts of
any man or set of men. Nowhere in the world is presented a government of so much liberty and equality. To the humblest and poorest among us are held the highest privileges and positions.
What constitutes the bulwark of our liberty and independence? It is not the frowning battlements, or bristling seacoast, our army and navy. These are not our reliance against tyranny. Our reliance is in the love of liberty which God has planted in us. Our defense is in the spirit which prizes liberty as the heritage of all men, in all lands everywhere. Destroy this spirit and you have planted the seeds of despotism at your own doors.
At what point shall we expect the approach of danger? By what means shall we fortify against it? Shall we expect some transatlantic giant to step the ocean and crush us at a blow?
Never. All the armies of Europe, Asia, and Africa combined could not, by force, take a drink from the Ohio or make a track on the Blue Ridge.
At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up among us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we ourselves, must be its author and its finisher. As a nation of free men, we must live through all time . . . or die by suicide.

-Abraham fucking Lincoln

slit

Eastern Europe has got to be scared shit less but Western Europe looks like they are on their own as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom