• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

papluh

The dragon head would need a completely new mold. Also the big "whisker" seems to be made from 23443 and some (for me) new part. there is lot of chrome gold and not sure which green color should be the bricks.
It looks like matching the size of the one in trailer.
And the teased box of 70612 shows 544 pieces.

All in all, the pic of that specific dragon is most probably just movie prop :(

But if those new molds get to the smaller one and if Chrome Bricks plan to cash on the market, it should be possible to replicate it.

Anyone else see this? LEGO KO company producing sets based on AFOL designs, but the twist? they're licensed the designers from the MOC Creators themselves.

I'm in two minds about it, on one hand, at least they're not outright stealing designs like other companies, on the other hand, they're not LEGO and not actually licensed by the IP holders (in the case of the Akira bike and Alien)

That last point is a grey area I know well though, you can make a product that looks like a licensed character but you can't use the name of that character associated with the product, but that's china for you

I love . Keep the original stuff coming, China!

They might need a specialized headpiece, but it's not like Ninjago hasn't done custom heads before. I'd also assume that a physical toy dragon would have pearl gold instead of chrome. And it could be like Sea Cow where the toy is much smaller than the in-movie build.

papluh

Actually these guys were reporting sand green color and new dragon head piece seen at super secret NY Toy Fair preview
http://www.bzpower.com/story.php?ID=9203
The LEGO Ninjago Movie

The first wave of sets for this fall's The LEGO Ninjago Movie were on display at Toy Fair and they were awesome. Unfortunately, we weren't allowed to take any pictures. More unfortunately, I was expecting information about the sets to be in the press guide we received, as such sets have almost always been in the past, but no such luck there either. So what I'm going to do is answer some of the most common questions I received over social media the past few days and go through the movie trailer and let you know what in the trailer I saw as a set and what I didn't.

A lot of people want to know about minifigs. The ninja, Kai, Jay, Cole, Zane, Lloyd, and Nya were all there, and they matched the look of the trailer pretty well. Garmadon and Wu were also present, but I don't recall seeing Koko (but I could have just missed or overlooked her). Several of the sets have hapless citizens who need saving. Most of the bad guys had a sea-faring vibe. There were some who were straight-up sailors, and others that looked like sailors being controlled by sea life, perhaps? The shark costume from the collectible minifigs was reused, and then there were at least two new minifig headgear that reminded me of the Alien Conquest alien head, but one was a puffer fish and the other more of a generic fish.

Now, as I go through this trailer, I'll give the time codes for where to look for the things I'm talking about. So read and watch along! The flying ships at around 0:22 have a set, and look like a big manta ray. Lloyd's dragon, first seen around 0:34 is a set, but is scaled down a bit. There's lots of sand green and I distinctly remember two new-looking pieces used as part of the dragon head. You can see the shark-guys and some of the others I mentioned above at 0:36. We first see the rest of the Ninjago vehicles starting at around 0:40. Kai's mech is a set and is awesome. It's very large, but still seems scaled down a bit from the trailer. There was no set shown for Cole's one-wheeled mech. The four-legged mech, piloted by Zane in the trailer, is a set. I could be remembering wrong, but I feel like the set was black and piloted by Cole though. If I'm right, my guess would be that things changed in the movie or the sets after the first draft models were built, and hopefully they'll be reconciled by the time they're both out this fall. The ship floating in the background is piloted by Jay and from what I can tell looks pretty close to the set version. To the disappointment of many, the shark first clearly seen at around 0:47 did not have a set on display, but there's always later waves we could get. I don't remember seeing the other smaller ships (at 1:04) either. At 1:28, you can see Destiny's Bounty, which is a set and is huge and awesome. Probably the biggest and best version we've gotten as a set so far. There's a tank/treaded vehicle that I think was in the background earlier but can be more clearly seen at 2:11 - I don't remember seeing a set version of it. Also, no giant hangar or recliner for Kai's mech.

In addition to what I pointed out in the trailer, there were also some non-vehicle playsets. They were on the smaller side, and I remember one featured Sensei Wu. Overall all of the designs were well done and probably some of the best Ninjago sets we've gotten to date. I'm excited for you all to see them when pictures are finally released!

Anyone else see this? LEGO KO company producing sets based on AFOL designs, but the twist? they're licensed the designers from the MOC Creators themselves.

I'm in two minds about it, on one hand, at least they're not outright stealing designs like other companies, on the other hand, they're not LEGO and not actually licensed by the IP holders (in the case of the Akira bike and Alien)

That last point is a grey area I know well though, you can make a product that looks like a licensed character but you can't use the name of that character associated with the product, but that's china for you

They're still stealing the molds and the licenses but hey, not stealing the designs is a good start, China! /s

Article was updated and several fonts are reporting that Xingbao is just a sub brand of Lepin, they are owned by the same company.

Looks like blackmail of MOC creators to me. Accept our offer or we will clone your model anyway. And your name will be associated with Lego greatest enemy.

ghostmind

Series 17 Highwayman revealed:

ObFpuv0.jpg

All the secrecy was for what exactly?

So i've just finished the Queen Dragon... Truly the greatest of them all :) It really is HUGE compared to the others, and those wings are amazing! It's still pretty poseable though...

As of now, it is the new centerpiece for my Dragon shelf, which still needs to be expanded ( i still have Jay's Elemental Dragon in my backlog and Smaug is sitting atop Orthanc or else it'd fit in nicely there) Hoping for some new awesome dragons from the Ninjago movie line now.

wZ8ijxC.jpg

jYHUEY7.jpg

X2K4jUC.jpg

Also: i know that the Chima Phoenix isn't technically a dragon but it just looks so awesome there so i had to throw it in :p

So i've just finished the Queen Dragon... Truly the greatest of them all :) It really is HUGE compared to the others, and those wings are amazing! It's still pretty poseable though...

As of now, it is the new centerpiece for my Dragon shelf, which still needs to be expanded ( i still have Jay's Elemental Dragon in my backlog and Smaug is sitting atop Orthanc or else it'd fit in nicely there) Hoping for some new awesome dragons from the Ninjago movie line now.

wZ8ijxC.jpg

jYHUEY7.jpg

X2K4jUC.jpg

Also: i know that the Chima Phoenix isn't technically a dragon but it just looks so awesome there so i had to throw it in :p

Yes, the Queen Dragon is awesome! The new neon yellow is a bit weird and I'm not sure about the Umbra Dragon that we get in summer, but I'm glad we get more dragons. Everyone should have at least one of each size class.

ObFpuv0.jpg

Perhaps it's a homage to the lyrics:

I'm the dandy highwayman who you're too scared to mention
I spend my cash on looking flash and grabbing your attention
The devil take your stereo and your LEGO collection (oh-oh)…

Needs more Smaug

Snaku

Banned

So a couple weeks ago my dad suffered a minor heart attack, and had triple bypass surgery on his heart. He's pretty much confined to the house for the next six weeks to recover, so my siblings and I pitched in and bought him the Slave I and Falcon sets to give him something to do when he gets bored of Diablo 3. After his first week of recovery he's doing very well and the doctors are very impressed with his progress. I think it's the Lego. ;)

ObFpuv0.jpg

A bit late for April Fools joke. Can't wait to see the real reveal.
*sarcasm*

wZ8ijxC.jpg

jYHUEY7.jpg

Good to see that dragon getting more love. I do understand it's probably a but too much on the huggable and pretty side for many here, but aside from that it is a great looking dragon and was an enjoyable build with nice techniques.

Arc07

Are there any services for having a sticker sheet made (and preferably cut) if I have a PDF for a custom set of decals?

Are there any services for having a sticker sheet made (and preferably cut) if I have a PDF for a custom set of decals?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=custom+precut+sticker+sheet

:)

I imagine it would be a bit costly, but seems they have laser cutting now so that should be a lot cheaper than making custom metal cutting shapes.

First site I clicked on.
https://www.stickergiant.com/sticker-sheets

Please comment in this thread if you make a custom sheet and are happy with the results and price. And which site you used. Thanks!

EDIT: Read a bit more and as expected there probably will be a minimum quantity for most if not all printers. Site above has minimum of 250 stickers per design.

Best bet for one or two custom stickers may be to print it out and cut it yourself with precision craft cutting knives.

Ponn

Banned
So a couple weeks ago my dad suffered a minor heart attack, and had triple bypass surgery on his heart. He's pretty much confined to the house for the next six weeks to recover, so my siblings and I pitched in and bought him the Slave I and Falcon sets to give him something to do when he gets bored of Diablo 3. After his first week of recovery he's doing very well and the doctors are very impressed with his progress. I think it's the Lego. ;)

Good for your dad hope he continues to get better. And yes its always the magical healing power of Lego that mends bodies and drains wallets.

Good for your dad hope he continues to get better. And yes its always the magical healing power of Lego that mends bodies and drains wallets.

Good to hear he's doing well after that.

LEGO would be much better as a recovery tool than video games. All the exertion used to search for the next part needed or searching for a piece that fell on the floor and magically transported meters away would be nice physical therapy.

Can't put a price on health (unlimited LEGO budget). LEGO should commission a study on LEGO and the therapeutic benefits.

Arc07

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=custom+precut+sticker+sheet

EDIT: Read a bit more and as expected there probably will be a minimum quantity for most if not all printers. Site above has minimum of 250 stickers per design.

Best bet for one or two custom stickers may be to print it out and cut it yourself with precision craft cutting knives.
I tried looking this up but can't find anyone that does non-commercial orders. I had FedEx Office print out the decals using a clear sticker sheet but they only look good on white bricks. The decals look like trash on any colored bricks. :/

After about a year sitting on my floor, Ferris Wheel is now repackaged. I managed to do it mostly without taking it apart. I removed the railings and vegetation from the base, disconnected the supporting beams and lifted down the wheel. Then I removed all the gondolas, disconnected the outer white part and folded it up, and took off the sub assemblies of the spokes.

It's not going up yet for some time, but the day I get a bigger room to make a proper city display, I'm going to set it up somewhere. It's such an eye catcher and a great figure display, but it just doesn't fit on the street I currently have on shelves.

After about a year sitting on my floor, Ferris Wheel is now repackaged. I managed to do it mostly without taking it apart. I removed the railings and vegetation from the base, disconnected the supporting beams and lifted down the wheel. Then I removed all the gondolas, disconnected the outer white part and folded it up, and took off the sub assemblies of the spokes.

It's not going up yet for some time, but the day I get a bigger room to make a proper city display, I'm going to set it up somewhere. It's such an eye catcher and a great figure display, but it just doesn't fit on the street I currently have on shelves.

Same here, i am planning to fit it into my modular city some day....but alas, who knows if that day shall ever come to pass :(

damn backlog and less time than EVER before in my life for Lego, hobbies in general etc.

papluh

Transporting the Ferris Wheel to events is a PITA, takes as much space as 2 modulars. Even if you disassemble it to wheel, supports and base (picked clean of small stuff). And that wheel itself tends to drop parts on bumpy roads (still better than the mistake of trying to transport the GB HQ in one piece).
hdsQyiA.jpg

I really like that 'mystery' figure but I'm another that's confused by it, the silhouette was on the leaflets for the batman minifigs so I initially thought it was tied in to that line. In the end it's nothing more special (nor limited) than the rest of the series.

Went to the Leicester Square Lego store today for the first time, had to queue (only 10 mins max) to get in, nice enough store with some nice displays but nothing that you don't see elsewhere.

After seeing the Pirate ship I want it - didn't realise how big those zombie sharks were

I wonder if there was some legal issue with him resembling the hunter from Bloodborne that TLG was clearing up so they couldn't show him. It's cool we have at least 2 video game minifigs with the hunter and Sam Fisher.

DonShula

So with that Thor trailer today, we got a look at the impetus for that sketchy looking Hulk fig (which is fantastic, don't get me wrong). Looks like there's no shortage of ideas for sets from that movie.

rallaren

So I just started with bags 2. Not the optimal table for this build I find out.
It is by far my biggest set. Penguin's Arctic Roller is more my kind of size. Or the new Lego movie batmobile (must have).

Most of my bigger sets (and a TV I don't use). The rest is still at my parents house.

Got a ticket to enter the LEGO booth at Celebration. I'm the third group in so hopefully with them limiting the exclusive I'll be able to buy it.

Dragon set of the forever?

But yeah, i don't see it happening sadly...

It's still very possible, but obviously not a brick-by-brick replica. The Sea Cow (especially the Sea Cow) and Contruction Mech from The LEGO Movie were toned down from the movie versions. Question is if the dragon is adapted for a set, will it still be cool.

Sounds slightly condescending and out of touch. Even if you disregard Technic, there has been huge sets targeted specifically at adults for a decade now. And then they can't find anyone to interview except some guy who has his childhood Lego in a box, and buys a new big set every now and then.

I mean, watch one of the many documentaries, like The Secret World of Lego, as research, at least.

Sounds slightly condescending and out of touch. Even if you disregard Technic, there has been huge sets targeted specifically at adults for a decade now. And then they can't find anyone to interview except some guy who has his childhood Lego in a box, and buys a new big set every now and then.

I mean, watch one of the many documentaries, like The Secret World of Lego, as research, at least.

Even the biggest Technic sets are only 11-16, officially only for little kids!

Top Bottom