• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ReCore Definitive Edition coming soon

Gestault

Why even bother at this point?

Like 3/4 of the game is some really fun exploration/collection/platforming. The abrupt ending because of budget and/or deadline was super obvious, but as it is, it was worth putting the time into getting basically all the cores for me. Actually having a more polished/finished version of it out there means a much better game, and there isn't an excess of games that hit on this blend of styles.

Plus chances are they're doing a wider PC release and a new retail package, so it's easier to market a re-launch like that.

Yeah this seems to confirm they're just updating the current game for everyone and the original version will no longer exist. Was worried they would go the Ori Definition Edition way and charge it as a whole new game with new achievements and everything.

Has there been any mention of the Definitive Edition polishing the game at all? I never played it originally because of how janky and unpolished the movement and combat looked.
The definitive edition will polish the game for sure, but just so we are clear, the movement and combat are what makes this game so good, and received practically universal appraisal even for reviews that trashed the game.

Good news about the release format. Also loving that art.

I stopped a little ways in to wait for the Definitive Edition, looking forward to getting back to it.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Friendly reminder that Comcept (Inafune's studio) was involved in the development of this game.

Don't give any money to this con man.
yeah forget about the developers from another company AND country who actually did the work and the likelihood that everyone lost money on this anyway

Risev1

Man I held out on buying this for a long time. Really hope the definitive edition drops this month if possible. I'm 2/3'rd of the way through FFXII the Zodiac Age and hope for this to be my next game.

Doing the call indexing you're supposed to do at the end of development would solve most of the problems people think they know about Unity. The engine had very little to do with the tech shortcomings on the XB1 version.

A port like you're describing would be a pointless endeavor unless they legitimately wanted to double the cost of making the game, and/or probably introduce more problems than it would fix.
Didn't someone posted in the OT that unity actually had a lot to do with the technical shortcomings?

For instance the big loading times are because they have to bake the GI during load, the inability to only select a limited number of robots at once is because they ran out of memory (and they had to do almost magic to make the unity's animation structure to work with non bipeds robots). From the reports, fixing the engine so the game would even run on it took a significant amount of budget and development time for the game.

Recore is a great game that needed allot of polish and if they have actually been doing that for the past year this could turn out fantastic

kevin1025

Banned
I never did get around to it, despite buying it for $20 on Black Friday last fall. I'll definitely fire it up when the One X launches, and the Definitive Edition rolling into the base version would be fantastic!

Grisby

Kinda hate the fact that this IP might be dead. It had a lot of faults but the core gameplay loop was a lot of fun. I'll defintley check out the extra bit and stuff somewhere down the road.

Would love a sequel. It just needs more time and polish.

I was looking forward to this game and bought a cheap copy. I've held off waiting until this patch comes out. Hope it both improves it and is still worth the wait!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Playing on PC the only negative I had was the platforming at the end of the game goes on for a bit too long. Didn't really have much issues outside of that.

Me too. That section felt padded.

Tho overall, I surprisingly really enjoyed the experience. I got t for Xbox one, but I played it on my PC. The combat and traversal was fun and I liked Joule. Too bad this DE is coming out so late, but maybe till push the game to profitability and we get more

Was gonna pick this up sometime back, but after hearing about the def edition...I decided to hold out. Will def pick it up on X1X.

Good to see they still supporting it. IP could use a second chance.

Sydle

I'm looking forward to jumping back in soon. Kind of crazy they took nearly a year for the DE. I hope that means there are a number of improvements beyond bug fixes and the new bot.

Hope it gets a Steam release as well. Would probably fare well at $20-$30.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Recore has massive potential imo I know some may laugh at that but I genuinely believe it. If it had that AAA finese it could be a superb first party franchise.

I don't think many people who actually finished the game would laugh at you. ReCore could be a popular franchise. The potential is definitely there.

thumb

Banned
Like others here, I stopped playing when I heard about a re-release, but I enjoyed what I was exposed to. I think there's potential in Recore, and I'd love to see that realized.

Didn't someone posted in the OT that unity actually had a lot to do with the technical shortcomings?

For instance the big loading times are because they have to bake the GI during load, the inability to only select a limited number of robots at once is because they ran out of memory (and they had to do almost magic to make the unity's animation structure to work with non bipeds robots). From the reports, fixing the engine so the game would even run on it took a significant amount of budget and development time for the game.

Unity defense force of people who've never written a 3D game in Unity incoming... "It's not the engine, it's the developers!"

I'll never understand why a team of seasoned developers would try and make a game like this in Unity. I've only done a couple of projects in Unity and Unreal each and without a doubt I would have tossed any idea of using Unity out the window, despite the fact it's "easier" to get started. Easier to walk into hell, sure.

Synth

Well it's clear MS or the devs or both really believe in this IP to give it this second chance. Nothing wrong with that, especially when many reviewers have said it had potential.

The annoying thing though, is that this should have just resulted in a delay, rather than trying to convince the world to take a second look at the game.

thumb

Banned
How is that a drive by?

I'm seriously wondering why they're still throwing money at this game.

The key to not being seen as a drive-by or troll is *content*. That is, say something of substance, then engage with others.

Here's my version of your post that would not have gotten the same response:

"Recore failed commercially and received middling reviews. Why do they expect that to change? What sort of update could turn it around?"

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The key to not being seen as a drive-by or troll is *content*. That is, say something of substance, then engage with others.

Here's my version of your post that would not have gotten the same response:

"Recore failed commercially and received middling reviews. Why do they expect that to change? What sort of update could turn it around?"

I see no problem in condensing what you typed, down to what I said.

There is no intellectual debate in to be had, over me wondering why a game that sold so few copies is getting a "Definitive Edition". Why waste words?

The only real hope a serious bump in sales, is a Steam release. The Windows Store is all that kept me from buying it on the first go around.

blakep267

There is no intellectual debate in to be had, over me wondering why a game that sold so few copies is getting a "Definitive Edition". Why waste words?

The only real hope a serious bump in sales, is a Steam release. The Windows Store is all that kept me from buying it on the first go around.
It's not about debate. It's a discussion. I could go into the crash thread and say" Thosngame sucks and always sucked". That's a drive by post that's just there to not start discussion but a useles post. If I go into why I don't think it's good and what could've been changed, that's a useful comment for the thread

Goalus

Absolutely gorgeous art.
My 179€ Collector's Edition has been gracing my living-room for almost a year and I am happy that they have faith in this game. It's ridiculous to suggest that they should throw it away, with games that have potential like this one they should do the exact opposite.

Gestault

What would you say if I told you that making an improved version of the game as a free update also makes any future purchases of the game more appealing to those buyers, including on a Steam release? Might that solve the mystery?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
What would you say if I told you that making an improved version of the game as a free update also makes any future purchases of the game more appealing to those buyers, including on a Steam release? Might that solve the mystery?

I'll say that if my original question had been responded to with something like this counter-question, instead of complaining about how I the manner in which I condensed it into a few words, the direction of the thread would be much more healthy.

My response to you specifically: Good point.

Can we move on now?

Gestault

I'll say that if my original question had been responded to with something like this counter-question, instead of complaining about how I the manner in which I condensed it into a few words, the direction of the thread would be much more healthy.

My response to you specifically: Good point.

Can we move on now?

And to be fair, even my post could use about a 30% reduction in snark.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
ReCore has so much potential to be Microsoft's Zelda/Metroid.

They just need to give it the budget and time it deserves. A sequel could be phenomenal.

_Aaron_

If it comes to Steam and fixes the problems that ppl had with it, then I'll definitely consider getting it. I liked what I saw of the gameplay but reading about the issues it had certainly put me off.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Unity defense force of people who've never written a 3D game in Unity incoming... "It's not the engine, it's the developers!"

I'll never understand why a team of seasoned developers would try and make a game like this in Unity. I've only done a couple of projects in Unity and Unreal each and without a doubt I would have tossed any idea of using Unity out the window, despite the fact it's "easier" to get started. Easier to walk into hell, sure.

I may be confusing it with another game but I'm pretty sure this game was partially financed or subsidised by Unity--MS wanted to cut costs, Unity wanted a larger-scale game to hang their hat on, so they cut a deal with Armature to make the game with Unity, either in exchange for direct collaboration or money, perhaps both.

Parsnip

PEGI has now rated it as well. Usually, from what I've seen anyway, PEGI ratings aren't posted too far in advance of the release. I guess it's just around the corner indeed.

NgFl7Ll.jpg

peppers

What are the chances of this including an update for the graphics? Shadows are pretty bad on console as far as I recall...

The game has incredible potential if done correctly. I hope this edition breathes new life into it.

I was honestly expecting a close to Xbox One X release date, along with a patch to have the 4K resolution etc etc

That's been said: I hope this Definitive Version is as good as Ori's (new content, new features...)

PaulloDEC

PEGI has now rated it as well. Usually, from what I've seen anyway, PEGI ratings aren't posted too far in advance of the release. I guess it's just around the corner indeed.

NgFl7Ll.jpg

As someone who loved ReCore, I'm so, so curious to see what this is actually going to be after almost a year in development. I'm definitely going to be bummed if it's just the fifth bot and nothing else.

Did they ever fix the AA in this on PC?

What issues were you having?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Top Bottom