• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon 500 series to launch early April, Radeon Vega in May

tuxfool

Banned
It handles native FP16 formats but not packed.
Only with Vega two FP16 operations can be packed together in one go to increase the theoretical throughput by x2, before it only saved register space (can improve practical performance) and decreased energy consumption.

Huh. I thought it did, wasn't there some thread about people talking about using 16bit formats in the PS4 Pro?

If it doesn't, I wonder what the point was of that thread.

Locuza

Huh. I thought it did, wasn't there some thread about people talking about using 16bit formats in the PS4 Pro?

If it doesn't, I wonder what the point was of that thread.
The PS4 Pro does support it, it has two features beyond the Polaris GPUs AMD released:

1. Packed FP16 (first chip from AMD, before Vega)
2. It has a more advanced work distributor in comparison to Polaris, the same might be used in Vega or be even better.

Source:
In actual fact, two new AMD roadmap features debut in the Pro, ahead of their release in upcoming Radeon PC products - presumably the Vega GPUs due either late this year or early next year.

"One of the features appearing for the first time is the handling of 16-bit variables - it's possible to perform two 16-bit operations at a time instead of one 32-bit operation," he says, confirming what we learned during our visit to VooFoo Studios to check out Mantis Burn Racing. "In other words, at full floats, we have 4.2 teraflops. With half-floats, it's now double that, which is to say, 8.4 teraflops in 16-bit computation. This has the potential to radically increase performance."

A work distributor is also added to the GPU design, designed to improve efficiency through more intelligent distribution of work.

"Once a GPU gets to a certain size, it's important for the GPU to have a centralised brain that intelligently distributes and load-balances the geometry rendered. So it's something that's very focused on, say, geometry shading and tessellation, though there is some basic vertex work as well that it will distribute," Mark Cerny shares, before explaining how it improves on AMD's existing architecture.

"The work distributor in PS4 Pro is very advanced. Not only does it have the fairly dramatic tessellation improvements from Polaris, it also has some post-Polaris functionality that accelerates rendering in scenes with many small objects... So the improvement is that a single patch is intelligently distributed between a number of compute units, and that's trickier than it sounds because the process of sub-dividing and rendering a patch is quite complex."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-inside-playstation-4-pro-how-sony-made-a-4k-games-machine

To be honest, I'm surprised AMD they aren't planning a cut down version of the RX Vega to compete with the GTX 1070.

It also puts a very large question mark over what graphics chips Scorpio is going to be using, since the PS4 Pro used what was effectively an underclocked RX 480 (with admittedly some of the things Vega brings to the table added on). I can't see AMD allowing Microsoft use their flagship. Best case scenerio is that the RX 500 series will be Polaris derivatives based on the PS4 Pro chip, which in turn will be used in Scorpio.

Wallach

Soooooo......It's probably safe to go ahead and buy the 1080 Ti if you'd like to build asap?

Asking for a friend.

Yeah. Vega is the only thing on the horizon from AMD that is even worth wondering about, and it ain't going to be here for a while.

tuxfool

Banned
I don't understand why people are surprised that Vega is releasing in May. They had stated it was releasing in 1H, that would coincide perfectly with the end of that period, which would be May (or even early June).

dr_rus

When, where? Source?

It's some wishful thinking on basis of Vega being promoted for Prey and Prey launching on 5th of May. Doesn't really mean much as they might just add, say, Vulkan renderer to Prey when Vega releases in June and promote that with Vega instead.

This whole rebranding shit is super fucking lazy. Don't try faking progress where there is none ffs.

Well, 200->300 "rebranding" was rather good for them as they were able to claw back 10-15% of marketshare thanks to it. I don't think that NV will be as passive as it was with Maxwell back then so it's unlikely that they'll be able to repeat that (also because their share is higher right now which means that there's less potential buyers for them) but still, this shows why they even do it.

To be honest, I'm surprised AMD they aren't planning a cut down version of the RX Vega to compete with the GTX 1070.

Why do you think that they aren't? 1070 competitor is what Vega 11 should be, the only question is when will it launch as so far all talk about Vega's release date seems to point to Vega 10 only.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
OEMs want bigger numbers every year. That's likely one reason for the rebrands on top of the potential minor improvements - slightly higher clocks, better temps, etc.

napata

No because it's generally faster than a 1060 in recent games and offers unbeatable performance in DX12/Vulkan apis for the money.

When, where? Source?

Pretty much all recent games this year have the 1060 winning. Even the DX12 ones. I think Resident Evil 7 is the only exception.

Pretty much all recent games this year have the 1060 winning. Even the DX12 ones. I think Resident Evil 7 is the only exception.

There's only been a handful of notable PC games released in Jan and Feb. One of them is Res 7 where the 480 is faster, another is Sniper Elite 3 and the 480 is faster in that at all resolutions.

So what games are you talking about? Hope you ain't pulled them out your bumbum.

EDIT: 480 is also faster in For Honor. Lol. So in all three of the biggest pc games released 'this year', the 480 is faster, the opposite of what you said. Unbelievable. Stop spreading misinformation.

Anyway OFF TOPIC.

marciocdb

Banned
I had just bought a RX 480 yesterday.... time to cancel it....

Was expecting a Vega 11 GPU for the mid-high level.... but an overclocked Polaris is fine... I think they'll tweak the power consumption as well.

I currently have a GTX960 and just bought a LG Ultrawide with FreeSync. Would it be smart to buy a Sapphire R9 Fury for $250 or wait for VEGA or RX500?

I assume that the Fury will beat the RX 580 but get curbstomped by VEGA. At the same time, VEGA will most likely be double the price of a Fury, putting outside my price range as I also want to rebuild the rest of my system when Ryzen 5 hits.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I currently have a GTX960 and just bought a LG Ultrawide with FreeSync. Would it be smart to buy a Sapphire R9 Fury for $250 or wait for VEGA or RX500?

I assume that the Fury will beat the RX 580 but get curbstomped by VEGA. At the same time, VEGA will most likely be double the price of a Fury, putting outside my price range as I also want to rebuild the rest of my system when Ryzen 5 hits.
I'd personally wait for a 580, it will probably have some improvements over the 480 (clocks/power) that will put it pretty close to the Fury. The Fury cards have some kinks and the 580 may have some new features (don't​ remember what Polaris added over Fiji, but the 500 series may add a few more).

I'm still rocking a "re-branded" 290X in the MSI 390X and it's still kicking ass. Re-brands don't just mean its the same exact GPU with a different name, they actually make improvements to the GPU

PFD

The 390 rebrands were amazing, so this ain't all bad

I'm more pissed off about vega being so goddam late, it's gonna be outdated before it comes out

Hesemonni

Banned
I'm still rocking a "re-branded" 290X in the MSI 390X and it's still kicking ass. Re-brands don't just mean its the same exact GPU with a different name, they actually make improvements to the GPU
The Radeon RX 580 will reportedly be a rebranded RX 480 with slightly tweaked GPU speeds of 1340MHz, a 74MHz bump from the RX 480 - while the RX 570 will be 38MHz faster than the RX 470. The Radeon RX 570 and RX 580 will be available in both 4GB, and 8GB variants.
via Tweaktown

Doesn't seem too substantial in this case :/

MaDKaT

Certainly interested in where Vega lands performance wise.I've been itching to build a Ryzen machine and wouldnt mind pairing it with AMDs performance card but only if it is > 1080ti.

Certainly interested in where Vega lands performance wise.I've been itching to build a Ryzen machine and wouldnt mind pairing it with AMDs performance card but only if it is > 1080ti.
Right now from current leaks it looks like its stronger than a 1080 but weaker than a 1080ti but thats from a ES.

MaDKaT

Right now from current leaks it looks like its stronger than a 1080 but weaker than a 1080ti but thats from a ES.

Yeah, mostly just hoping for a surprise. Already have a 1080 and while the Ti is pretty tempting for a new build I really want a bit more. In any case Im not in any real rush and can wait to see where things land with Vega and Volta.

LeleSocho

Banned

I speculate neck and neck with a 1080 but generally ~5% behind it

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Dude, this is a pipedream fantasy.

There is no way that Vega has a prayers chance of surpassing a 1080TI.

If it can compete with even a 1070 then that would be considered a victory.

marciocdb

Banned
I don't see the rebranding of Polaris as a negative thing... it's a fairly new chip... it's not like they are rebranding Tonga or GCN 1.1 GPUs... Polaris is a much bigger improvement...

Now they've probably tweaked the chips to perform better and with less power consumption... so it will definitely be a very nice GPU.

Looking forward to get a RX 580....

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm super tempted to move to AMD and Freesync when I need to upgrade next, my GTX 970 is still going fine but it won't live forever and I want Gsync but it's too expensive, I'd save £100+ going to Freesync which could be used to pay for a big chunk of a new GPU.

MaDKaT

I speculate neck and neck with a 1080 but generally ~5% behind it

I am aware of the current speculation and honestly dont see it beating a Ti(let alone a OC'd 1080). Just a small hope for a competitive enthusiasts card.

The Vega 10 ES is already faster than a 1080. Your thinking of Vega 11 which is a competitor to the 1070.

Its not gonna touch a 1080ti (mayybe compete with it but I doubt it) I expect it to be in between the two, hopefully cheaper than a 1080.

I'd personally wait for a 580, it will probably have some improvements over the 480 (clocks/power) that will put it pretty close to the Fury. The Fury cards have some kinks and the 580 may have some new features (don't​ remember what Polaris added over Fiji, but the 500 series may add a few more).

Thanks for the advice. I'll wait a bit, see what comes out.

So, RX 580 to "launch" April 4th... But when will they actually be widely available? Right at launch, end of April, sometime in May? As we've seen, launches are often quite different than actually being able to buy one.

I've already got a couple RX 480s to go with a 1060, but I'm a serial upgrader/tech slut who is a sucker for even mild refreshes. I'll probably sell 1 or both 480s and pick up a Sapphire or XFX 580 when available. Even if all we get are slightly higher clocks with better efficiency courtesy of a GloFo finally getting their shit together on the node process, I'll be happy....

A furyx is already only 5-10% slower than a 1070. In what reality are you living where you think it will be a victory for vega to be a few% faster than a furyx? Theres almost no shot in hell that vega only competes with a 1070

perfrel_2560_1440.png

perfrel_3840_2160.png

You have it backwards. The 480 is generally the winner in big multiplatform titles. Ubi games are nvidias last bastion of hope. Outside of them they usually lose

Irobot82

This is so dissapointing. I feel like the $300-350 market is slowly disappearing for some reason.

I was really hoping to see RX580 and RX590 being Vega 11 while the lower could be rebrands pushed down by 10 and then Vega and a cut Vega 10 for top tier.......

Top Bottom