• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop: Nintendo Switch Selling out in hours not days (Mario Kart Launch info)

OryoN

Bu.. but tinfoil-GAF said this ongoing shortage is all artificial. I don't get it cause Nintendo even shipped 700,000 more units than originally planned for March. Gonna have to consult with that particular GAF sect on this matter, cause this sh!t ain't adding up.

Paging Tin-Foil Boyz....

yyr

It's selling like I thought it would sell if it was $250. Instead they're doing it at $300. Very, very impressive.

Yeah, I could say the same. I really thought a price tag over $250 would kill interest.

I guess the folks saying "Switch isn't really competing with Xbox One & PS4" turned out to be right.

That's one way to look at it. Those who can't pick up a Switch might be inclined to buy an Xbox One S or PlayStation 4 slim bundle. Especially at a pushy retailer like GameStop.
The most insulting thing is that the free online honey moon will be over before it is easy to buy a Switch.

edit Oh yeah and the forced bundles. Maybe that is more insulting.

That doesn't really happen to any measurable degree. Wii was sold out for at least two years.

Can I put you down for a plate of the house special?

eating-crow.jpg

I'll happily eat if it does get to that in just NA alone.

Kudos Nintendo proving the doubters wrong.

I still think when they add even the most basic tablet features (Netflix, YouTube, browser) this could replace most people's cheap tablets. Watch out world if they do.

Honestly, do they hand make them? What's wrong with them?

I'm pretty sure Foxconn hand makes them, yeah.

And nothing's wrong with them, this is probably Nintendo's fastest selling console ever. No matter how much they restock they still can't meet the ridiculously high demand.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That's one way to look at it. Those who can't pick up a Switch might be inclined to buy an Xbox One S or PlayStation 4 slim bundle. Especially at a pushy retailer like GameStop.
The most insulting thing is that the free online honey moon will be over before it is easy to buy a Switch.

edit Oh yeah and the forced bundles. Maybe that is more insulting.

Fairly sure GameStop will push you towards a switch other either of those especially against the XB1. Nintendo games still have low digital percentages in comparison to the growing percentages of those and they tends to keep price which means high resell value. GameStop wants you to buy a switch and specifically a switch.

ZOONAMI

I do wonder what percentage of these launch period sales are picked up by scalpers though. I had to get mine from a scalper for $380.

Which seems sort of crazy to me because the scalper is really only making like $50 on them when you factor in tax. Would have to buy like 30 of them to even pay the rent.

geordiemp

You got to admit it is smart by gamestop, they are always saying sold out to press hoping for better allocation. I wonder if it works and they get more cake ?

You never hear an Amazon making a press release about not having enough of whatever.

Anyway, congrats to Nintendo.

I hate to do it but I'm still skeptical. If they do sell 10 million units this year, I'll eat crow. I don't understand who's buying this thing.

Neonep

MK8 is a damn fantastic game, it deserves to sell as many copies as possible.... EVERY SINGLE ONE.

I will probably get this when I get a Switch later this year.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I hate to do it but I'm still skeptical. If they do sell 10 million units this year, I'll eat crow. I don't understand who's buying this thing.

I was always thought 10 million a year would be -disappointing-. The idea it'd sell worse than the 3ds while being the only system they're trying to sell on the market would be pretty bad.

Switch sales are only going to get crazier from here. Now that Mario Kart is out in the wild, people will start bringing it to the office, to house parties, etc, and other people will see it and want their own. Who wouldn't? Pretty much irresistible.
The fact that you can use a single Joycon to play MK8D and hand the other to a friend is going to make hands-on 'demos' easier for non-owners to experience (even though using a single Joycon is arguably awkward).

Switch owners who play in public or with friends are pretty much Nintendo's free advertisers.

I was always thought 10 million a year would be -disappointing-. The idea it'd sell worse than the 3ds while being the only system they're trying to sell on the market would be pretty bad.

I mean, that'd be roughly in line with the 3DS's first year (I think it did 12 million in its first 12 months?), but without a massive price cut (which meant Nintendo was taking a loss on most of that hardware after the launch period, I believe), with significantly more accessory sales, and with software being sold at higher price points.

Only doing 3DS numbers lifetime would probably be a bit underwhelming, but bear in mind that in the first year especially, matching the 3DS would still mean a better bottom line performance for Nintendo. I think it outdoes 3DS's first year numbers if they can produce enough systems to hit those numbers, though.

DataGhost

I really want a switch. But I'll wait till they're actually in stock for me.

Also, I sort of want Nintendo to make a comeback, but can't this be the same situation with the Wii U with scalpers and the like?

10 million by the end of the calendar year is basically expected at this point. It can definitely beat that too, especially if Pokemon Stars is real.

Am I old if my first thought when seeing that is, "I want that type of salt grinder"?

Also, I sort of want Nintendo to make a comeback, but can't this be the same situation with the Wii U with scalpers and the like?

Nah, we're basically two months in already and seeing absolutely none of the same signs as with the Wii U. I think it took the Wii U 6 weeks for sales to completely drop off a cliff, and Wii U's were incredibly easy to find in most stores the week after launch.

Add to that the Switch actually has very high profile games releasing all throughout the year, when the Wii U basically had a 8-9 month drought after launch.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I do wonder what percentage of these launch period sales are picked up by scalpers though. I had to get mine from a scalper for $380.

Which seems sort of crazy to me because the scalper is really only making like $50 on them when you factor in tax. Would have to buy like 30 of them to even pay the rent.

If it was like the Wii U scalpers would be selling their stock back by the end of this month. It's also April and not Christmas period.

I'd imagine that some do great volume and earn a living at it, some make a couple bucks as a side hustle, and some are infatuated with the idea of a get rich quick scheme.

TS-08

No. The Switch is doing better than the Wii U was at this point in its life and the gap is only going to grow (and this is without a period during the holidays for the Switch). Switches are also still selling for over MSRP by third parties so genuine demand is still outpacing stock.

Cerbero

E3 can't come soon enough, i need to know what's in store for the rest of the year, having a smash port+pokemon+monster hunter in the fall would be insane, hell even an updated port of Pokken can sell a huge number of units

Switch sales are only going to get crazier from here. Now that Mario Kart is out in the wild, people will start bringing it to the office, to house parties, etc, and other people will see it and want their own. Who wouldn't? Pretty much irresistible.
This

Charamiwa

Banned
I think the hardware makes the software so much more appealing. Been playing MK8D for a few hours now in portable mode, and it's just marvelous. When the Switch works, it really works, and I think they have something special here.

I'd wager the average consumer who really wants a Switch won't be swayed by the other platforms. Its USP is pretty major, especially when compared to the other two consoles.
I'm talking about the average consumer. Not someone who really wants a Switch.
Fairly sure GameStop will push you towards a switch other either of those especially against the XB1. Nintendo games still have low digital percentages in comparison to the growing percentages of those and they tends to keep price which means high resell value. GameStop wants you to buy a switch and specifically a switch.
GameStop can not push you towards something that is sold out... rather than letting you walk away empty handed they will offer you alternatives.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm talking about the average consumer. Not someone who really wants a Switch.

GameStop can not push you towards something that is sold out... rather than letting you walk away empty handed they will offer you alternatives.

You realise those overpriced bundles exist for a reason? The rate those things sell out by is not by chance.

I think it's fair to be skeptical though. It's only been out for 2 months. These numbers are really impressive and promising, but will ultimately mean nothing if Nintendo don't capitalise and keep the momentum up. Hopefully they can.

Top Bottom