• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop: Nintendo Switch Selling out in hours not days (Mario Kart Launch info)

DarkKyo

This is why people love and hate Mario Kart with deep passions all at the same time. That shit is rage inducing and why people joke it can ruin friendships. Everyone at some point will have a race turn out like that.

Seriously? Back in my day when my friends and I were huge into Mario Kart(mostly Double Dash and MK Wii) this kind of thing would have us crying with laughter. I don't think any of us took it as seriously as you're suggesting.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I hate to do it but I'm still skeptical. If they do sell 10 million units this year, I'll eat crow. I don't understand who's buying this thing.

Mario Kart Wii and NSMB Wii sold like 30 million units.
These are both traditional games, not something super 'casual' like Wii Sports or Wii Fit.

The Wii as a platform was appealing. The Wii U wasn't. The Switch is.

Nintendo games are appealing and generally very good. When the hardware itself is desirable it is a killer combination.

As an anecdote:
I knew the Switch had the potential to be a hit when my >30 year old, lapsed gamer friend who hasn't really played games since OOT on 64 and GTA3 on PS2 bought a Switch for Botw. He probably never really thought about the WiiU and the Wii just didn't seem like it was for him.

ajjow

I think Nintendo has something in here. Not something like the Wii. Actually, the motion controllers stayed, but not the idea of a cheap console with dated technology.

I would love a portable console from sony or microsoft in which they would put their first party best efforts.

I barely have the time to play in front of the TV anymore.

Mr Swine

Banned
Also, of course Switch sells out in stores in hours. It is the single most micro-managed console in the 10 years I've worked there. I'm talking hourly calls, emails, attach meters, hounding, and constant pressure to sell these things every time they appear.

Why this is...well, I don't have to say much more. It's pretty obvious. =P

(One big thing is that it is pretty much the ONLY sales driver for video games for the summer. It's dry bones people.)

Does it top PS4 in that regard too?

I'm talking about the average consumer. Not someone who really wants a Switch.

These aren't impulse purchases. People don't just walk into a store with $300 and buy the first console they see on the shelf. That probably happens a bit with grandma and grandpa shopping for their grandkids during the holidays, but that's really it.

Our local gamestop got 3 switch devices for MK8(they still work on pre orders)

They sell out pretty quick when our stores gets like 5 each. =P

They don't sell out quick when they put up $500 bundles. =/

Its easy to sell out when Nintendo is only sending in like 5 per store twice a month.

Gamestop stores get like 2 switches on restock days. Of course it's fucking selling out instantly.

I can believe it since my Gamestop has only had 1-2 come in for the last couple restocks.

2006-2007 De Ja Vu..... Confirmed Guys... Switch is the real Wii successor in term of sales, I remember reading this exact lines back then.

I'm very curious to see how many consoles Nintendo sold in the US in April. If the Switch is still sold out, I wouldn't be surprised by a 400k+ month.

TS-08

I'm very curious to see how many consoles Nintendo sold in the US in April. If the Switch is still sold out, I wouldn't be surprised by a 400k+ month.

I think it will be considerably more than 400k, although I'm still not convinced as many shipped or will ship this month as did in March.

Interfectum

I was trying to maintain my Best Buy thread thinking surely the bundles would stay in stock for half a day even into Saturday. Nope, all gone. That's nuts!

I Think July before splatoon 2 and probably September and october people will be able to get the switch in a store.

But if Mario comes out on November and demand keeps up, forget getting it for Christmas without some serious dedication

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
I really hope 3rd parties are paying attention, and Nintendo is reaching out to them. This looks like the start of something huge, and the sooner everyone jumps all in the better.

Here's hoping for big announcements at E3!

Most likely another WII. Third part won't do much for the switch. Not powerful enough to port 1 to 1 and people just buying Nintendo made games.

In the end will probably end up with 10 amazing big N games. Don't expect much else...

Most likely another WII. Third part won't do much for the switch. Not powerful enough to port 1 to 1 and people just buying Nintendo made games.

In the end will probably end up with 10 amazing big N games. Don't expect much else...
Most of their handhelds end up with far more than just a few quality Nintendo releases due to third party developers and even their consoles, aside from the Wii U, had a fair amount to offer aside from Nintendo's own

I don't know how much it applies to the broad userbase but for me the switch works because it's kind of the spiritual successor to my Vita. I hope that's reflected in the indies though

Interfectum

I wouldn't be so sure this time. This isn't like a traditional Nintendo console and the portability could entice. Games like GTAV, Minecraft, Dark Souls, Overwatch, Rocket League, etc could do quite well on the system even if they are compromised graphically.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The success of the switch strikes me as though the Wii U never happened, and people were thirsty for another Nintendo console.
There are also thirsty for something new, at least that's how I feel. AAA games feel like they turn in circles and going back to Nintendo makes gaming fresh again if you missed their games for years.

Also, of course Switch sells out in stores in hours. It is the single most micro-managed console in the 10 years I've worked there. I'm talking hourly calls, emails, attach meters, hounding, and constant pressure to sell these things every time they appear.

Why this is...well, I don't have to say much more. It's pretty obvious. =P

(One big thing is that it is pretty much the ONLY sales driver for video games for the summer. It's dry bones people.)

Literally wanted to purchase MK8D the moment I saw that Dry Bones was returning.

I stopped by the Nintendo NYC store and saw a big stack of Switches behind the counter. It was selling quickly as the line moved on. Glad to hear that it's still selling very well!

The success of the switch strikes me as though the Wii U never happened, and people were thirsty for another Nintendo console.

Yep. People either had no idea the Wii U existed, thought it was a Wii addon, or knew what it was but just didn't care.

Then there's the weirdos who wanted one.

The Switch is a complete 180 turn around.

When will people get that the Wii sold over 500 million pieces of third party software?

Tubie

giphy.gif

Luigi coming for that #1 spot in April NPD.

It's an amazing system and I hope they keep increasing production so more people can get one without having to pay a scalper.

Backlogger

Just returned from Best Buy (picking up MK8) in an area with a bunch of possible stores to go to. Huge line for the switch. The demand is crazy.

I think the lack of supply is more crazy than the demand honestly. Not trying to deny it's popularity but they clearly did not produce enough of these things

Kyzer

Banned
"Well duh, our store only got 2 consoles." x number of stores that sell Nintendo Switch in the world = 10m FY 2017

Happy for Nintendo. As an old gamer, I want them to flourish, succeed and keep bringing their unique touch to this market. I can not wait to get my hands on the Switch...next year, when the price goes down a bit!

Zedark

I think the lack of supply is more crazy than the demand honestly. Not trying to deny it's popularity but they clearly did not produce enough of these things
That's not fair imo: the number of units shipped in the first month was massive, almost in line with the best selling console ever (PS4) and it still is highly supply constrained. It must be one of two: either the demand is incredible or the supply is bad. The latter can hardly be argued for the above reason imo, so the demand is the impressive thing here.
I said May right before launch. Now, depending on their E3, I'm thinking August.
August, like when Splatoon 2 just launched ;)

Honestly, I can see some supply normality in late June/early July before Splatoon 2 launches, and maybe September depending on whether something worthwhile launches then.

I would say May they should be in stores, tbh, unless Minecraft really pushes some units.

I'm not sure, Mario Kart might still be pushing consoles into May if the supply is still not enough this week/weekend.

It would probably be easier to find in May than now, but it still might not be that easy.

True Fire

It's not like the Wii U made people hate Nintendo. It was just a boring console, and I imagine most people thought it was just another Wii.

People love Nintendo, and the Switch is doing well because of it

Where did this myth of the Wii selling little third party software come from?

Do people not know that Ubisoft used all the money they made from Wii to fund PS3 and Xbox 360 games.

The Wii was a fucking juggernaut in terms of software.

Top Bottom