• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata Asks: Wii Street U (Iwata in a jetpack camera wand thing)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Can't believe I'm the first...

googliwat.jpg

Do fans need to ask for things in order for a company to make something?

They probably have confidence in its functionality. I don't see how you could honestly be complaining about this. Where would you have placed these resources? They probably could have made another mini-game for Nintendo Land with them... maybe.

This is probably not even a gaming developer working on this, the same people who worked on Wii Weather Channel or News Channel or Internet Browser Channel on Wii

For people complaining this is a waste of resources I don't think they even understand Nintendo has other teams outside of gaming.

Marlowe89

I'll download it because fuck it, why not? I've always liked fiddling with street view, and the whole thing being incorporated into Wii U's game pad is pretty neat.

Hilarious bouts of laughter aside, I find it kind of funny that they're actually using the same rucksack that the US Army does. I've got one myself, though not in those colors of course.

Google maps is so useful when you can't leave the house with it

Street Viewing a City anywhere in the world, tourist locations, a place you have never been to and you can sit on your couch and explore it before a trip is still very useful. You can just do it for fun.

ozfunghi

Because they made a map application for the Wii U? It's just a fun little feature. Calm down.

Thanks man, i was just about to jump out the window when i read your post.

I like Iwata, not because Nintendo made "this" little feature, but because he's a little bit nuts, he's a warm person and i think Nintendo needs someone like him, sincere, gentle, yet with a nutty sense of humor

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So exactly the same

Yes your TV screen plus Gamepad work together

Still I think you underestimate the tech inside the Gamepad to do this stuff. There was a company that came out saying that it has a 9 axis tech

"The geomagnetic sensor in the device has a 15 times higher resolution than those found in cell phones" source

I think this is why Nintendo is trying this... basicly a Free App and Panorama View

GamePad has that too. It's extremely accurate and responsive, best motion detecting device I've tried. The only thing missing IMO is a back facing camera to detect position and size/distance to the TV. With that they could've done some truly amazing "virtual window"/AR stuff.

Oh, ok. But is there anything on the Wii U that actually uses it as a compass? Can it be used as a compass? If it can, why do you need to constantly recalibrate/recenter the gamepad when playing stuff that uses it for pointing at the TV? Why doesn't it automatically do that after the initial calibration by storing that compass direction and recentering on it every now and then? Seems weird that you wouldn't take advantage of that if it's possible.

Oh, ok. But is there anything on the Wii U that actually uses it as a compass? Can it be used as a compass? If it can, why do you need to constantly recalibrate/recenter the gamepad when playing stuff that uses it for pointing at the TV? Why doesn't it automatically do that after the initial calibration by storing that compass direction and recentering on it every now and then? Seems weird that you wouldn't take advantage of that if it's possible.

Because the calibration is from gyroscopic drift. Has nothing to do with a compass (which is the geomagnetic sensor). Basically gyros, which are suppose to measure angular velocity, slowly drift over time meaning even when the device isn't turning they don't reset back to 0. This means that subsequent turns are offset by that non-zero amount. That's what calibration is for. For it to be reset

RAWi

Iwata brings such blissful moments to Gaf XD

Yoda, Ghostbuster and F.L.U.D.D. Iwata take the cake! Haha.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Because the calibration is from gyroscopic drift. Has nothing to do with a compass (which is the geomagnetic sensor). Basically gyros, which are suppose to measure angular velocity, slowly drift over time meaning even when the device isn't turning they don't reset back to 0. This means that subsequent turns are offset by that non-zero amount. That's what calibration is for. For it to be reset

Yes, I know that the gyro is what drifts. But I'm saying: Why not store a compass direction (which won't drift over time) on the initial calibration and then continuously use that to automatically recalibrate the gyro (or the game, rather)? I don't see why that wouldn't be possible. You'd still use the gyro to track orientation changes (a geomagnetic sensor can't do that very smoothly from what I've seen), but you'd use the compass to actually know what direction is what.

In this thread, we finally learn that Iwata is not only aware of his status as an Internet Meme Generator, but gleefully abuses it.

Good show.

-Cwalat-

Because they are bringing a map/panorama view app to the system?

That is precisely why.

You'd think they'd pull their act together and realize they are about to get disintegrated by the competition come fall of 2013... but nah. The one thing Wii-U was lacking is Google streetview,

It's a fun picture, though, i'll admit to that.

But comon guys, don't you see the larger picture? Nintendo have totally lost it.

Thanks man, i was just about to jump out the window when i read your post.

I like Iwata, not because Nintendo made "this" little feature, but because he's a little bit nuts, he's a warm person and i think Nintendo needs someone like him, sincere, gentle, yet with a nutty sense of humor

My apologies! Carry on with your good nature and all!

That is precisely why.

You'd think they'd pull their act together and realize they are about to get disintegrated by the competition come fall of 2013... but nah. The one thing Wii-U was lacking is Google streetview,

It's a fun picture, though, i'll admit to that.

But comon guys, don't you see the larger picture? Nintendo have totally lost it.

Uh what do you expect to happen? They already revealed there are games (multiple!) in development for the WiiU at the most recent Nintendo direct.

Yes, the situation on the wiiu is very bad at the moment, but there are games coming, unfortunately it'll take some time for them to get here, not to mention there's no guarantee any of these titles will be good.

As for Wii street u, I imagine that

A.) The development team making this is most likely a dedicated hardware team, rather than one dealing with software. In other words I doubt they're pulling members of the Zelda team off the next Zelda to work on this.

B.) The amount of resources Nintendo used in making this app/program is minimal compared to developing a full game and should have no bearing on the development of any of Nintendo's games.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Can we rename this "Iwata Carries"?

Iwata: Huh? Can I? Okay, I'll put it on. (laughs) (standing up) How much does this weigh?

Kawai: It's about 40 pounds, so about 18 kilograms12.

Iwata: If you'll pardon me… Umph! …This is now "Iwata Carrys". Like this?

Yes, I know that the gyro is what drifts. But I'm saying: Why not store a compass direction (which won't drift over time) on the initial calibration and then continuously use that to automatically recalibrate the gyro (or the game, rather)? I don't see why that wouldn't be possible. You'd still use the gyro to track orientation changes (a geomagnetic sensor can't do that very smoothly from what I've seen), but you'd use the compass to actually know what direction is what.

Because drift is three dimensional and simply knowing you're pointed in the general direction of the TV wouldn't be enough to fix it. Not to mention these are geomagnetic sensors. Any devices that generate magnetic fields, pretty much most electronic devices, can affect them slightly

Top Bottom