• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam breaks 7 million concurrent users, up 1m from this time last year

LX_Theo

Banned
It's ok. You thought that you brought up something novel and thought nobody except you took it into account, threw in fanboy accusations in the mix and caught feelings when people called you out. Take that L like a man.

Straight out making stuff up now? That's sad. Who did I call a fanboy?

bj00rn_

Banned
My first post in this thread...

It's a bit hard to understand the relevance of your point. My consoles are often "running in the background" also, sometimes they are on all day just on the menus, Netflix sometimes, or not, and so what?

Anyway, your point would make more sense if none of the new users stemming from the user growth actually used Steam. But since the relative percentage number of "background users" probably is the same as before, it doesn't.

RdN

Steam's really growing fast.. Next year with the launch of the Steam Consoles it'll explode in popularity, specially if those rumored prices are right.

True. However there isn't really a reliable single stat tracker for PC games. If you combine the number of people playing everything; from Battle.net and Wow, to Quakeworld and Quake Live, to Battlefield games on Origin, to every MMO with a decent subscriber base; then add Steam, you would see that the platform is huge. It's certainly more fragmented, but a lot of people who game mainly on PC actually prefer it that way.

Well...if you also include how things are globally...then the argument becomes moot as Asia is way more PC focused.

Of course people forget the global scene and keeps things locally even though the internet is quite global in reach.

- Steam has 65 million active accounts

"Lol I have seven Steam accounts just because, number is meaningless"

- Steam has 7 million concurrent users

"Lol I have Steam running four computers and can't be bothered to close it, means nothing"

... and so on ad infinitum. It doesn't seem to matter than the same argument can be made for literally every other service in existence, nor that growth numbers indicate a clear trend. Apparently, to quote Loki from the Avengers, the only thing that matters is the war. Common sense be damned.

dhlt25

Great to see the number increasing. I've spent more money buying shit on steam than all the console hardware+software

Mdot

We're all here because we like video games, right? That should be enough to appreciate these numbers and know its a good thing, not something to downplay.

Stop trying to justify your purchase or praise whatever you use to enjoy the medium. Be happy the industry as a whole is growing and healthy. We all win.

We're all here because we like video games, right? That should be enough to appreciate these numbers and know its a good thing, not something to downplay.

Stop trying to justify your purchase or praise whatever you use to enjoy the medium. Be happy the industry as a whole is growing and healthy. We all win.

Sentenza

- Steam has 65 million active accounts

"Lol I have seven Steam accounts just because, number is meaningless"

- Steam has 7 million concurrent users

"Lol I have Steam running four computers and can't be bothered to close it, means nothing"

... and so on ad infinitum.
I remember the same happening with World of Warcraft and a lot of people downplaying the numbers constantly with idiotic rebuttals.
"There are 12 millions active subscribers at this date"
"A lot are probably chinese bots, I pay my subscription and I don't even play it anymore".

People, here's a hard truth: no one gives a shit of your anecdotal rebuttal. It's irrelevant, statistically speaking.
Big numbers tell a story on their own, regardless of a case-to-case breakdown.
Is it that hard to understand?

BLunted

Banned
All Hail our lord gaben!

uiAeTeK.jpg

The rate of growth does seem to have dropped though, wasn't it only like 5 or 6 months between 5 and 6 million, while 6 and 7 took a solid year? Also, its amusing that Dota 2 alone accounts for 1/4th of all active players at any one time.

Hail!

iHrnTf53a7yUM.jpg

LX_Theo

Banned
What in any of my posts implied I didn't read your posts? I've read every post in this thread.

You're like the college freshman stoner who comes into a political conversation to say "you KNOW that DEMOCRATS are just as bad as REPUBLICANS." While everybody else is talking about austerity or something. Your point was essentially that the sky is blue. Do we really need to have a long conversation about how blue the sky is?
I'm still waiting for something relevant to what I said. If what I said was so irrelevant, that you have no point in responding in the first place.

It's a bit hard to understand the relevance of your point. My consoles are often "running in the background" also, sometimes they are on all day just on the menus, Netflix sometimes, or not, and so what?

Anyway, the only way your point would make any sense would be if NONE of the NEW users stemming from the user growth actually used Steam. But since the relative percentage number of "background users" probably is the same as before, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever to come into this thread to downplay the increased amount of Steam users.
Thank you for actually addressing the point instead of just acting like an insecure child.

By my point, I meant that the information is misleading. Simple as that. I simply think that, other than pure number of users registered, there is almost no information you can extract from that. No idea how many people use it regularly. No idea how many are even buying things. I know people who buy stuff from steam sales but rarely actually play games on it. I know people who use it for one game only.

My point is only ever that its misleading and mostly a pointless number to look at for a sign of anything except pure numbers. If a person finds they are not discussing or referring to anything but pure numbers of users, then there is little point in responding to me in the first place since I'm not even talking about what they want to.

No idea, you thought it was somehow relevant and brought it up in your second post.
Well, thanks for admitting to just making stuff up, then.

Glass Rebel

Well, thanks for admitting to just making stuff up, then.

sure, buddy :lol Pray tell, what was the point of that post then?

The numbers are as useful or misleading as you want them to be. Last year it was 6m, this year it's 7m. There is at least some growth and that's all there is to it. You acting like you cracked the DaVinci code is hilarious though so please continue.

LX_Theo

Banned
sure, buddy :lol Pray tell, what was the point of that post then?

The numbers are as useful or misleading as you want them to be. Last year it was 6m, this year it's 7m. There is at least some growth and that's all there is to it. You acting like you cracked the DaVinci code is hilarious though so please continue.

You know, its actually kind of funny when idiots act like they know anything. I'm acting like I cracked the DaVinci code? Really? REALLY? I made a point, that's all. My goodness you are stupid.

I already explained my point in more detail in the post you just quoted. If you had a shred of common sense, you'd realize that was all I was ever saying, too.

LX_Theo

Banned
Then what reaction do you want from people in this thread? For us to throw our hands up and say a million concurrent user increase over 2012 is 100% meaningless and throw all common sense to the wind?

You have no business calling someone else in this thread stupid.

I didn't ask for reaction (for ****s sake, I'm even saying don't respond at all if you don't think its about what you're talking about or taking away from this). There's a reason why I'm calling you idiots. You seem to think I made the point for a reason other than to make the point. You're continued use of one aspect of this that is irrelevant to what I said is just more proof of that.

Kenai

Keep charging me 5-10 bucks for full games that would run me 30-60 on most other places/platforms and I'll be around indefinitely. Steam is the only place I have found that consistently does DD right and it shows.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yuck now I feel dirty for even slightly agreeing.

I have a modern PC made with high end (well, at the time anyway) parts so I'm not very worried about slowdown. Besides I run barely anything else, when I'm not using a browser I usually only have 42 processes running.

Plus Steam's my main instant messenger client now so I have to keep it open lol.

Lol I knew were going to pull that modern pc shit. It'll affect your performance regardless, especially if you plan to be doing any intensive stuff with it (yes there are intensive programmes you can run on your pc outside of games. Also the older your pc is the greater the noticeable effect.

Having lot of crap run on start up is just bad, You may not notice it now but it will have a noticeable effect as time goes on.

Salex_

I'm not sure how this says anything...? I always have Steam on whatever my PC is on. How many people are actually playing a game at the same time? Or what are the sales figures looking like for games compared to previous years?

I mainly play fighting games and I've been looking at the recent fighting games that came out on PC. The number of people online and the sales are pretty bad in comparison. I also looked up the top 100 Steam games with people playing online and the number is less than the total amount of COD on a single console(PC version of COD is included). I know that Steam may be growing on it's own, but the way people compare them to consoles it makes it sound like it really close when that's not the case at all. I seen some people that actually thinks Steambox is going to take a big portion of the console market.

All Hail our lord gaben!

The rate of growth does seem to have dropped though, wasn't it only like 5 or 6 months between 5 and 6 million, while 6 and 7 took a solid year? Also, its amusing that Dota 2 alone accounts for 1/4th of all active players at any one time.

Oh shit, rate of growth dropped, pc is dead mobile is the future (sounds stupid but that is what is being said unironically on the PC OEM hardware sales side by analysts lol..., 500 million OEM's sold in a year = pc market is dying mobile is the future according to them)

LX_Theo

Banned
...alright bro. I think this is the end of the line. Good luck with your future endeavors.

Its as simple as this: you made a point. Several people disagreed with it because it is not, in a basic mathematical way, true. You said we're stupid, blind, and idiotic for holding that opinion. That's all this conversation with you was.

No, I made a point. Some people brought up an aspect that wasn't part of the point I was making (also known as you), and tried to act as though it was despite me telling them it wasn't (also you). Then they proceeded to try and end the conversation by pretending it was somehow ever relevant (also you). Next time, try not to make up stuff just to cover for yourself.

And like I said, I'm calling you idiots for thinking and acting like I made a point for a reason other than making a point. You literally just did it again, too.

injurai

Banned
in all fairness, i don't think i've heard anyone claim that pc gaming was dead in the past 5 years.

But it's PC gamers time to strike back!!! We must create a living-space liebestraum and push out multi-platform heathens... *yadda yadda*

Glass Rebel

You know, its actually kind of funny when idiots act like they know anything. I'm acting like I cracked the DaVinci code? Really? REALLY? I made a point, that's all. My goodness you are stupid.

I already explained my point in more detail in the post you just quoted. If you had a shred of common sense, you'd realize that was all I was ever saying, too.

You came into this thread dismissing the numbers under some inane pretense (why not name the people who are trying to make it look like it's a "huge thing"?) and when people pointed out to you that it was irrelevant to the topic at hand you started acting like someone insulted you

and now personal attacks too? on the internet?
UOqO2pS.png
have fun

Durante

I'm not sure how this says anything...? I always have Steam on whatever my PC is on.
Well, lucky for you I'm here to explain it then! See, the point is that it's 1 million more concurrently online users than last year. Since any concerns about what those users are actually doing apply equally to the past as well as the current situation, the observed growth is clearly significant in any case.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Well, lucky for you I'm here to explain it then! See, the point is that it's 1 million more concurrently online users than last year. Since any concerns about what those users are actually doing apply equally to the past as well as the current situation, the observed growth is clearly significant in any case.

that just means a million more people accidentally installed steam through some kind of malware while trying to redeem their PSN+ codes for the consoles they've all just bought.

Great news. But my brothers and sisters, the false prophets still live! Those born out of greed and peasant legacies! I speak of Origin, misbegotten child that fences it's fruits! I speak of Ubiplay, an unwanted branch in our otherwise unblemished tree! Heed not their siren songs, for they will only bring the peasant ways to our kingdom.

gog's cool though. they brought back ss2.

All Hail our lord gaben!

uiAeTeK.jpg

From 5-6m took 11 months. No idea about the rest

that just means a million more people accidentally installed steam through some kind of malware while trying to redeem their PSN+ codes for the consoles they've all just bought.

Not to mention that Steam is like herpes. Once you get it, it stays with you for life. Can't get rid of that shit even if you tried.

LX_Theo

Banned
You came into this thread dismissing the numbers under some inane pretense (why not name the people who are trying to make it look like it's a "huge thing"?) and when people pointed out to you that it was irrelevant to the topic at hand you started acting like someone insulted you

and now personal attacks too? on the internet?
UOqO2pS.png
have fun

I dismissed them? When was that then? I like how you continue to make stuff up.

Salex_

This stops the ridiculous "PC is dead" comments but in the big picture this doesn't say anything. 1 million out of the total gaming market is pretty low growth in 1 year. I'm not trying to downplay the growth but think about this.

Compare it to the "other" PC gaming markets or consoles for context.

This stops the ridiculous "PC is dead" comments but in the big picture this doesn't say anything. 1 million out of the total gaming market is pretty low growth in 1 year. I'm not trying to downplay the growth but think about this.

Compare it to the "other" PC gaming markets or consoles for context.

Actually Steam's growth in active users was somewhere in the region of 17 million this last year. 1 million is just concurrent users.

LX_Theo

Banned
I wish there was a shame button. So everyone could click on it and Theo might realize that it's not just the person they are arguing with that thinks he's being ridiculous, but everyone.

Then feel free to address what I said. Because right now I have two idiots badgering me about it so far. One who keeps talking about something I am not. And another who is constantly making up stuff. Anyone else would be a great thing.

LX_Theo

Banned
uh...

sure looks like your dismissing the numbers.

You call that dismissing? Last I checked all I said was that there are a number of things that I've seen fanboys (not specifically here) try and make to be greater than it is out of here. Obviously, pure numbers of users with its growth from year to year is not something that it would be misleading for.

Glass Rebel

I dismissed them? When was that then? I like how you continue to make stuff up.

My first post in this thread...

I said it before, I'll say it again... Being "online" for steam is so much easier than other services. The number is misleading, since many of those just have it on in the background.

Then feel free to address what I said. Because right now I have two idiots badgering me about it so far. One who keeps talking about something I am not. And another who is constantly making up stuff. Anyone else would be a great thing.

you must be a cool guy to hang out with

You call that dismissing?

yes

Last I checked all I said was that there are a number of things that I've seen fanboys (not specifically here) try and make to be greater than it is out of here. Obviously, pure numbers of users with its growth from year to year is not something that it would be misleading for.

ah the fanboys again. those that aren't specifically here. but you still brought up. for whatever reason.

Top Bottom