• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Boy Micro <3 Thread

cvxfreak

Mejilan said:
Mine's black on black and hot as can be. It's been collecting for the past half-year or so, since the DSL hit the US, but I think I'll retire my DSL for GBA games and continue them (Castlevania CotM, FFV, FFVI) on the GBm.

DSL would be perfect if the damn carts didn't stick out. :(

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Hey Yoschi, did you take those shots with the battery running down, or did you mod your GBm so that the red lights on select/start constantly stay on? If the latter, how would one go about doing that? It looks really nice.

Daigoro

my faceplates arrived and i got my Black on Black kicking with either Ninja Five-0 or dotstream in the slot for the last week, and Kuru Kururin on the way. (the black plastic cart on dotstream is especially trendy!)

i wish i had a camera so i could show it off.

sexy!

Yoschi

I see, pictures changes many peoples minds! ^^
I'm happy that you like it. Also, the 2 red ones with the black faceplate look kick ass!
it's great that you all appreciate the GBmicro that much, like me :D

G-Fex said:
I just bought doom for GBA and I figured I'd get a micro so I can take with me everywhere including work and have some fun playing that and FF:1 and 2. This is an awesome little thing. How is the brightness? An earphone outlet there of course?
The brightness i think is perfect, not too bright and never too dark. I have it always on the 3rd brightness setting (of 4).
Yes, there's an earphone out on the micro. And for an audiophile like me, the sound quality could be a little bit better and with less noise..

Shig said:
Hey Yoschi, did you take those shots with the battery running down, or did you mod your GBm so that the red lights on select/start constantly stay on? If the latter, how would one go about doing that? It looks really nice.
No, i haven't modded my GBmicro, the battery was running down...
=/
having the possibility to turn on the LED's with a custom color would be cool though!

I have to say this topic got me hyped for the Micro. Looked around here in the Netherlands but in my opinion it's still too expensive (from 80 to 100 euros in most places)... I want to wait a little bit longer before this beautiful piece of hardware is mine.

I see everyone is buying a spare faceplate to protect the famicom. But you lot don't understand, the whole GBM is venerable. SO the back where the Mario 20th anniversary symbol is can also get scratched.

That's why I suggested to buy another GBM all together. I haven't done that yet, but will soon. My GBM FE has already a few scratches on the screen.

Moz La Punk said:
I have to say this topic got me hyped for the Micro. Looked around here in the Netherlands but in my opinion it's still too expensive (from 80 to 100 euros in most places)... I want to wait a little bit longer before this beautiful piece of hardware is mine.

in the UK GAME has them for around £30

VicAlpha said:
How is SFA3 Upper and KoF EX2 on the Micro?

SFA3 can have problems sometimes since L/R arent the best, but it looks perfect and if you can play with only using one type of punch and kick, then its great

and honestly, anyone who has a Micro needs to get Wario Ware Twisted, it is so perfect on the micro compared to the GBASP or DS

G-Fex

wow, every store I went to didn't have any and said they didn't carry anymore period. So I gave up. Cool thought though.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Regarding SFA3 and the shoulder buttons, the game works flawlessly once you realize that the shoulder buttons click from the INSIDES of the shoulder buttons (towards the top/center of the handheld), and not from the outside, like in every other portable ever made. Reason is because the damn system is so small, you'd need freakishly short fingers to easy trigger the shoulder buttons from the outside. This way you merely curl left and right forefingers over the top of the system, cradling the shoulder buttons, and click them with the tips of your fingers. Works great.

arcader

Banned
ok - I officially have a problem..

I got a new silver GB Micro comming from a guy on ebay - meanwhile I also just picked up a Famicom Micro I saw at Gamestop....I couldnt resist....oh well I guess having 2 helps me when charging them ;)

arcader

Banned
Mejilan said:
You can play while they charge, you know.

The GBA advance SP is for around the house play....

Micro's are for the go only...

NDS is for around the house or trips.

someone shoot me - LOL

The 20th anniversarry Micro is damn pretty.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Mejilan said:
Regarding SFA3 and the shoulder buttons, the game works flawlessly once you realize that the shoulder buttons click from the INSIDES of the shoulder buttons (towards the top/center of the handheld), and not from the outside, like in every other portable ever made. Reason is because the damn system is so small, you'd need freakishly short fingers to easy trigger the shoulder buttons from the outside. This way you merely curl left and right forefingers over the top of the system, cradling the shoulder buttons, and click them with the tips of your fingers. Works great.
and your opinions the dpad? Do you guys think is better or worst that the DS Lite dpad?

Mejilan

Quite a bit better. In fact, I'd say the GBm's d-pad is the best since the Saturn controller's. Better than the DS and DSL, for sure, IMHO.

I live in Holland. These things are damn overpriced and hard to find here. Gameboy Micro was a piece of overpriced hardware from the beginning anyway. I seriously don't understand why Nintendo makes their handhelds so damn expensive.

Mejilan said:
Quite a bit better. In fact, I'd say the GBm's d-pad is the best since the Saturn controller's. Better than the DS and DSL, for sure, IMHO.

easily, I kinda wish the classic controller had a bigger version of the Micro Dpad instead of the DS lite Dpad

Yoschi

Mejilan said:

i agree completely.
playing with the dpad of the micro is very very fluid and the fact that the gbm itself is very light helps a lot.

arcader

Banned
ok - time to cange modes.

BUY EVERY GB-Micro you can find!

Im gonna sweep the city this weekend and clean out anyones remaining stock.....

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Why?

Every one that you buy that you don't really have any use for means one person that wanted to find one to actually play with won't be able to. Don't be a dick.

arcader

Banned
Shig said:
Why?

Every one that you buy that you don't really have any use for means one person that wanted to find one to actually play with won't be able to. Don't be a dick.

Im not being a dick - I want to collect them...

OK - I might lay off after I find a black one with the silver face - that and the FF IV/Mother 3 versions are the only ones I dont have....

Besides - with these things discontinued - I hope that anyone who really wants one would get itbefore this weekend anyway....

MoxManiac

VicAlpha said:
How is SFA3 Upper and KoF EX2 on the Micro?

Control-wise, it's the best machine yet for it. I tried a little SFA3 and the dpad really does make a positive difference. I have sfa3 on PSP so i didn't spend extended time on the gba one, but if you play sfa3 GBA the micro is definitely an improvement.

Sorry if this has been said, but where the heck can I get new AC adapters for this thing? I bought a Famicom version a while back and somehow I lost the adapter. I've wanted to play it, but no luck finding it...

Also, if you're still looking, in my experience, Sears usually has a few. The one by me still has a few Famicom versions sitting around. They're all still full retail, though.

arcader

Banned
Semjaza Azazel said:
Sorry if this has been said, but where the heck can I get new AC adapters for this thing? I bought a Famicom version a while back and somehow I lost the adapter. I've wanted to play it, but no luck finding it...

Also, if you're still looking, in my experience, Sears usually has a few. The one by me still has a few Famicom versions sitting around. They're all still full retail, though.

Nintendo.com store has the AC adaptors....

Yeah it sucks it doesnt just use the DS adaptor size.

Vic

got an other question: where is the best place online to buy GBA games?

VicAlpha said:
got an other question: where is the best place online to buy GBA games?

There is no one shop. You would be best of, searhing multiple websites for the particular game, and finding the cheapest. This is what I did anyway. Also of note, is that GBA games are becoming hard to get hold of. Especially in PAL land.

Fusebox

Banned
Semjaza Azazel said:
Sorry if this has been said, but where the heck can I get new AC adapters for this thing?

They charge via USB cable which is handy too as I usually have a PC of some sort nearby.

I did the stupidist thing. When I got mine from Japan, I also ordered a voltage converter, for up to 100W. Only to realise that I could have just bought another Charger from the UK, which would not only be the more convenient thing to do, it is also cheaper, and saves me carrying around a huge voltage converter, which costs £45. And it makes a loud noise. Ahh the regrets. I got to learn to live with them, right?

I could have given it back, but my thick brain took too long to figure that out, like around 6 months or something.

Odrion

Banned
You want to try to get a black-on-black look too? Yeah, I'm kinda regretting having a silver body :lol (kinda regretting not buying a $70 pack with the two additional faceplates too.)

Just got the Super Rocket in Metroid Fusion. I can't believe I forgot almost all of the stuff that happened in this game, considering it's pretty high up there in "Best GBA Game."

Mejilan

I think cvxfreak helped me finalize my black on black look. 'Course, he wound up with silver on silver. Thanks again buddy! :D

Vic

Odrion said:
You want to try to get a black-on-black look too? Yeah, I'm kinda regretting having a silver body :lol (kinda regretting not buying a $70 pack with the two additional faceplates too.)

Just got the Super Rocket in Metroid Fusion. I can't believe I forgot almost all of the stuff that happened in this game, considering it's pretty high up there in "Best GBA Game."
I need to buy Zero Mission and Fusion ASAP

I have a question. Do most of you guys just use the GBM as a homebrew machine? I intend to do that. I wont be buying games for it, just download them on a flashcart or something. This is possible right? I dont understand the whole homebrew scene on the GBM, if someone is willing to explain...

Firestorm

For those in Western Canada, it seems some Superstores restocked these for their clearance price of $29.98. Toys R Us' regular price is still $50. Or if you're crazy (or want to price match), Best Buy has it for $130.

japtor

Mejilan said:
What, for real? Do USB cables even fit?
nope, but apparently there are usb-micro charge cables, such as this one.

Powerslave said:
I have a question. Do most of you guys just use the GBM as a homebrew machine? I intend to do that. I wont be buying games for it, just download them on a flashcart or something. This is possible right? I dont understand the whole homebrew scene on the GBM, if someone is willing to explain...
yeah, i have a chunk of homebrew stuff on my m3 cart. its just a regular gba...minus the gb/gbc compatibility. if the homebrew is made for gba, itll work on the micro, assuming the flash cart is good enough.

RaidenZR

I can't understand why there is no Micro-to-GCN cable anywhere on the planet. Surely a 3rd party could have sold a few of these on the cheap.

Valtox

for the GCN cable: there's a post in this thread about it.
a guy from another forum builds those cable using the existing cable gba to gcn and another one for micro to micro.
Unfortunately the micro cables are not anymore available online, so he can't produce them anymore.
But there should be an explanation of how to do it, if you can collect the cables you need.

@Powerslave:
GBA homebrew scene is pretty lame, there's nothing really worth playing as it was on PSP (emulation) or DS (moonshell to play mp3 or videos, and games using the stylus).
Probably you'll be playing commmercial gba games all the time with a flash cart. It's cheap, but the risk is losing the interest on the console and on your legit games in no time.
Sayd that, you have to wait for a price drop.
The price was 99€ also in Italy and still is in some shops, but I managed to find a special offer: 39,90€
The malls need to away their unsold old gen consoles and I think your beautyful country is no exception!:)
If they still have some micros I can send one to you, if you want.

Jacobi

Banned
I also want a black Micro :(
(Got a pretty ****ed up Black one with silver faceplate)
But I really shouldn't buy a console twice

Daigoro

im starting to feel like a broken record here, so im going to stop posting in this thread soon...

USB CHARGE CABLE available at Play Asia for like $4. you can charge via PC or PS2 USB.

FACEPLATES (Black, Silver and Famicom) available at Nintendo's online store for about $5 a pop.

enjoy your Micros!

Valtox said:
@Powerslave:
GBA homebrew scene is pretty lame, there's nothing really worth playing as it was on PSP (emulation) or DS (moonshell to play mp3 or videos, and games using the stylus).
Probably you'll be playing commmercial gba games all the time with a flash cart. It's cheap, but the risk is losing the interest on the console and on your legit games in no time.

You mean there aren't many good gba games? I always had an image that the gba was a goldmine for underrated platformer-type games and rpgs like golden sun, zelda etc. I just played Knytt, and thought to myself that theres bound to be even better games than that on the gbm....Tell me more about the gba game library
Oh and isnt gbm capable of playing gbc games? Not even with an emulator?

Valtox said:
Sayd that, you have to wait for a price drop.
The price was 99&#8364; also in Italy and still is in some shops, but I managed to find a special offer: 39,90&#8364;
The malls need to away their unsold old gen consoles and I think your beautyful country is no exception!:)
If they still have some micros I can send one to you, if you want.

Whoa awesome!
You live in Italy? How did they get so cheap over there...
Well if you would be kind to take some pictures of the thing so I can take a look at it, I might consider it. Im definitely interested in your offer though. The thing im worried about is shipping costs and how I should pay you. Don't have a creditcard or paypal etc. or anything. Maybe you can enlighten me more about this.

Wolf Beil

Banned
Daigoro said:
FACEPLATES (Black, Silver and Famicom) available at Nintendo's online store for about $5 a pop.

enjoy your Micros!
You forgot to mention "Americans only".

Euros get the shaft once again.

Top Bottom