• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

I could easily see spinoff games starting with the P5 cast being brought together again for a new job, but that will all depend on P5's ending. If they do go with that, having no or little crossover with P3/P4 could work.

"Who the hell are you?"
"Mitsuru Kirijo, director of the Kirijo Group."
"Ah."
"I'm here to talk to you about the Shadow Operatives."

Not sure how I'd feel about something like that.

Theodoricos

"Who the hell are you?"
"Ah."

Hah, just reading that makes me nauseous. Atlus, please let P3 and P4 die in peace! (Keep in mind I say this as a fan who loves both of those games to death.)

Mediking

A Persona Q-2 is definitely in the cards, but I wonder what Persona game they'll cross over with? Persona 4? Will there even be a crossover?

I don't wanna play a first person Persona game that's a wannabe Etrain Odyssey game. That's one of my big problems with Persona Q. The second big problem is the crazy high difficulty that's a huge turnoff then there's how Aki isn't the same.... hahah we've been through this before. And Persona Q-2 should hopefully be on NX because better hardware.

Rutger

Banned
"Who the hell are you?"
"Ah."

I really don't care about the stories in the spinoffs. I get fun gameplay with characters I like in PQ and the Arena games, that more than makes up for poor stories that will never have a major impact on the main games.
I don't wanna play a first person Persona game that's a wannabe Etrain Odyssey game. That's one of my big problems with Persona Q. The second big problem is the crazy high difficulty that's a huge turnoff then there's how Aki isn't the same.... hahah we've been through this before. And Persona Q-2 should hopefully be on NX because better hardware.

It's not really an EO wannabe when it's the EO team making the game, haha. If anything, I'd want to see them give the characters EO style skill trees plus the sub Persona system if there's ever a second game.

EO is the best turn based RPG gameplay Atlus has, and best dungeons, so more of that would always be nice.

Satsuya K.

Neo Member
Interesting they actually mention this. I don't think it was brought up in P4 even if it was in P3.

The main casts of P1 and P2 were able to summon multiple Personas (in Innocent Sin, Eikichi even mentions seeing Igor to switch Personas late in the game), it might be due to Philemon directly giving them the power and doesn't do so with the others in 3/4/5

Rutger

Banned
I guess I should add that I don't really want crossover with P3/P4 in any P5 spinoff games, at least not right away.
Give me a P5 Arena with Xrd graphics and just the P5 cast plus a few unique characters for the story. That would be a fine starting roster.

The main casts of P1 and P2 were able to summon multiple Personas (in Innocent Sin, Eikichi even mentions seeing Igor to switch Personas late in the game), it might be due to Philemon directly giving them the power and doesn't do so with the others in 3/4/5

The main reason only the MC can summon multiple Persona in 3/4/5 is likely for gameplay balance. It would be stupidly overpowered if we could change all our party member's skillsets to have the weaknesses we need in the One More system.

I would be surprised if they ever really go into it with how loosely connected 1 and 2 are to the modern games.

Mediking

I really don't care about the stories in the spinoffs. I get fun gameplay with characters I like in PQ and the Arena games, that more than makes up for poor stories that will never have a major impact on the main games.

It's not really an EO wannabe when it's the EO team making the game, haha. If anything, I'd want to see them give the characters EO style skill trees plus the sub Persona system if there's ever a second game.

EO is the best turn based RPG gameplay Atlus has, and best dungeons, so more of that would always be nice.

What's your favorite EO game?

.JayZii

Banned
The main reason only the MC can summon multiple Persona in 3/4/5 is likely for gameplay balance. It would be stupidly overpowered if we could change all our party member's skillsets to have the weaknesses we need in the One More system.

I would be surprised if they ever really go into it with how loosely connected 1 and 2 are to the modern games.
Or they would have to make the games much much harder if everyone could switch personas, and I don't think most people are down for that.

Connections to past games should remain oblique references or very quick cameos in my opinion. I'm not somebody who wants to wallow in fan service, I'd prefer new things. Since they spent a lot of time on getting all the art assets created for P5, I don't think we'll be waiting as long for the next console SMT or persona game, though.

I've said this many times, but I really, really, really hope they've considered how they want to expand on the P5 cast in the inevitable spin-offs so they don't end up just spinning in their wheels like the P4 characters (or, god forbid, devolve into one note meme characters).

Sophia

Persona 5 Arena is the only spin-off game that really need to make, if possible.

Phantom Thieves vs the Investigation Team literally writes itself.

Mediking

Persona 5 Arena is the only spin-off game that really need to make, if possible.

The only two people who I would invite from the Investigation Team to help with the Phantom Thieves are
time skip Chie and time skip Naoto

convo

They can't put more shit before the epilogue of Golden. I have had enough of the P4 cast honestly. I can do with more games that reuse all the new demon assets from P5 to make more console games faster.

Mediking

They can't put more shit before the epilogue of Golden. I have had enough of the P4 cast honestly. I can do with more games that reuse all the new demon assets from P5 to make more console games faster.

Shin Megami Damnation for PS4!

Devil Survivor for PS4!

The only two people who I would invite from the Investigation Team to help with the Phantom Thieves are
time skip Chie and time skip Naoto

Chie was too stupid to become a cop and proceeds to slum it as Naoto's bodyguard.

Seriously though, the more I look at this, the more I want them to stay the hell away.

Mediking

Chie was too stupid to become a cop and proceeds to slum it as Naoto's bodyguard.

Seriously though, the more I look at this, the more I want them to stay the hell away.

But senpai...
Good time skip designs shouldn't go to waste and should be used at least once. But yeah... Hahahha I do get where you're coming from

Rutger

Banned
What's your favorite EO game?
Overall, EOIII. EOIV has stronger combat though thanks to better class balance.
Or they would have to make the games much much harder if everyone could switch personas, and I don't think most people are down for that.

Connections to past games should remain oblique references or very quick cameos in my opinion. I'm not somebody who wants to wallow in fan service, I'd prefer new things. Since they spent a lot of time on getting all the art assets created for P5, I don't think we'll be waiting as long for the next console SMT or persona game, though.

Difficulty really isn't the problem, everyone with multiple persona would allow for four All Out Attacks in a row, or three and leaving the enemies dazed. Watching all those AoAs be very tedious. There are other problems, but it becomes not so different from the Press Turn system I guess.

Yeah, these assets are going to get reused for a long time. Maybe they will quickly move onto a P6 after this, I wouldn't mind it at all.
The fighting game fan in me will always want to see things I like get brought into the genre though, so I wouldn't say no to seeing the Persona Arena series continue with a P5 coat of paint.

Lunar15

I assume that if they're going
Biblical, with the antagonists being from the Ars Goetia (or maybe, given the French tarot cards, Livre des Esperitz -this book), the antagonist will be Solomon, or Agrippa, or Weyer. The idea of Noah's flood is interesting, but I'd prefer an antagonist who's doing something for their own ends rather than another round of "I'm testing humanity to see if they deserve to survive!!"

Hate to (probably) break it to you: With the theme of getting society to change their ways and fight back what oppresses them, this is definitely going to be a test to see if humanity deserves to survive.

The phantom thieves can't keep doing this forever, so it'll probably end in a way where the thieves say "yeah, humanity was weak before, but we've inspired them to stand up for themselves. We stole the future BACK! YEAH!!!" and then they'll beat the final boss and not have to use their powers again.

Dantis

Hate to (probably) break it to you: With the theme of getting society to change their ways and fight back what oppresses them, this is definitely going to be a test to see if humanity deserves to survive.

The phantom thieves can't keep doing this forever, so it'll probably end in a way where the thieves say "yeah, humanity was weak before, but we've inspired them to stand up for themselves. We stole the future BACK! YEAH!!!" and then they'll beat the final boss and not have to use their powers again.

Until the next high quality Arena story.

OrionX

As much as I love the P3 and P4 cast, I agree it's time to move on. We've had about a decade with them. Everything has its time. That being said, I still wouldn't be surprised to see them in future spin-off stuff.
But senpai...
Good time skip designs shouldn't go to waste and should be used at least once. But yeah... Hahahha I do get where you're coming from

I agree that
Chie and Naoto's are the best of the bunch. Yukiko... just because you decided to stay at the inn doesn't mean you gotta become a middle-aged housewife overnight! Yosuke went full giraffe... and Kanji... oh Kanji why... like, I understand the story reasons but did he have to change that dramatically? lol

Hah, just reading that makes me nauseous. Atlus, please let P3 and P4 die in peace! (Keep in mind I say this as a fan who loves both of those games to death.)
I don't mind the spin offs but I think they should just stop with making them all canon to the series.
Would rather see something that is pretty self contained & doesn't really have an impact on the story of future mainline games.
"Who the hell are you?"
"Ah."

I do.
It's stupid.
The shadow operatives need to stay in the shadows. I don't want to see any more of them.
Agreed.
Honestly I think they are one the worst things that they introduced in Arena.
Now every Persona game that involves shadows has people wondering why the shadow operatives don't show up and solve the problem themselves.
At least stuff like PQ is self contained and most of the plot points are solved within the game itself.

Lunar15

I think you can immediately see the difference in the writing teams for the spinoffs and the team for P5.

Did we ever learn who the writers for P3/4 were? Same writers working on P5? Did they ever touch the spinoffs?

asagami_

Banned
This chat about the Shadow Operative made me wonder about if some hint about the Kirijou/Nanjou group is going to be in the game. Would be nice, but if there is nothing, I will be okay anyway.

The best outcome to avoid have a crossover with the Shadow Operative, in any case, is to know they were defeated/disabled time ago.

This chat about the Shadow Operative made me wonder about if some hint about the Kirijou/Nanjou group is going to be in the game. Would be nice, but if there is nothing, I will be okay anyway.

The best outcome to avoid have a crossover with the Shadow Operative, in any case, is to know they were defeated/disabled time ago.

That's not good at all!
"Hey, everyone you know from the previous games? They got wiped the fuck out! Have fun."

DNAbro

I don't care what they do after P5 with spin-offs but nothing about Shadow Operatives better be in the game aside from incredibly small cameos.

OrionX

Speaking of returning characters, when do I get my game with
grown up, gun-wielding, chain-smoking Nanako, a rookie detective who moves to the city to solve a case her father had been working on before his mysterious disappearance? As Nanako gets closer to the truth, will she be able to find her father and learn to master her strange new powers?!
Or not, I haven't given it much thought honestly. :p

.JayZii

Banned
BoldGiftedCapybara.gif

Lynx_7

A Persona Q-2 is definitely in the cards, but I wonder what Persona game they'll cross over with? Persona 4? Will there even be a crossover?

Persona 2, red vs red. The jokers shall finally meet.
Probably something lame like a mish-mash of 3 and 4 characters like someone else already suggested.

You guys sleeping on Persona 5 Dancing in the Rain though. Those moves in the first trailer were clearly them practicing for the big stage.

.JayZii

Banned
Persona 2, red vs red. The jokers shall finally meet.
Probably something lame like a mish-mash of 3 and 4 characters like someone else already suggested.

You guys sleeping on Persona 5 Dancing in the Rain though. Those moves in the first trailer were clearly them practicing for the big stage.
If they waste their time on another dance game, I will fucking riot.

Top Bottom