• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why am I enjoying DMC (Devil May Cry) ?

chriskun

The only reason why I didnt get the game on last gen consoles was because it wasnt 60 fps, which in my mind is the only thing that truly disqualifies it from from truly bearing the DMC brand. But when I got a pc that could run it, I picked it up and was pleasantly surprised. Combat is great, not dmc3/4 great but still great. Also, pacing was waaaaay better than any og dmc's, and also the level design blew previous games out of the water. While these are almost completely subjective, the music was a step up from the late 90's industrial metal in previous entries, and character design was also better in my eyes. People who classified his look as emo were way off the mark, og dante actually looks way more emo, but most of the people who make these comparisons probably wear crocks n socks so you have to take thier opinions on fashion trends with a grain of salt.

I played through this on PC over the weekend. I didn't like the combat as much as the JP games due to the rigidity of enemy weapon weaknesses, but the level design was really cool. Especially the dance club game show thingy and the raptor news network segments. Really imaginative stuff.

Holy moley the story misogynistic as fuck tho.

It's funny how people say not to "dismiss the fans" who, for four years already and still ongoing, keep campaigning against DmC merely because it exists.

The game is great (especially on PC or on PS4/XONE with the DE) and can be fully enjoyed for its own merits, and I'm glad more and more people keep discovering how great it is.

Now let's hope Capcom is still interested in making games in this franchise, internally or through Ninja Theory.
I'm hoping for DmC2, but I'll take DMC5 if they do that.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Because the game is fun as fuck especially with the definitive edition changes

Honestly, I'd recommend the DE version on current gen consoles over any other version. I didn't find the original's combat satisfying and Hard+Turbo mode adds a lot of it with the complete rebalance which bumped it up to a pretty good game to me.
I'm still confused why the DE version of DmC isn't on PC or why there isn't any mods to bring it in like with the DE version I'd buy it if it were available.

DmC is a fine game. I wouldn't put it up there with DMC 1 or 3, but it's on a similar level as 4 as far as quality goes. There's only been one real disaster in this series.

Jawmuncher

In terms of the campaign and not combat itself. It's easily a better game than 4.
I recently started to play 4 and got to the castle section where it wants you to do puzzles and dipped out. Since it reminded me of all the other unnecessary sections that pop up later like that. I'll take platforming over that stuff any day.

Sesha

It's funny how people say not to "dismiss the fans" who, for four years already and still ongoing, keep campaigning against DmC merely because it exists.

The game is great (especially on PC or on PS4/XONE with the DE) and can be fully enjoyed for its own merits, and I'm glad more and more people keep discovering how great it is.

Now let's hope Capcom is still interested in making games in this franchise, internally or through Ninja Theory.
I'm hoping for DmC2, but I'll take DMC5 if they do that.

"The fans" isn't some hive mind. We all have different opinions on DmC.

There's also plenty of games on GAF that get endless praise, which some here base certain purchasing decisions on, and then end up regretting.

Blaming other people for what games you do or don't buy isn't fair.

Can anyone explain what were the improvements on the DmC DE?

- 1080p 60fps
- All DLC included (costumes, weapon skins, Vergil's Downfall, and the orb magnet)
- Vergil's Bloody Palace. 60 floors.
- New costumes: DMC1 Dante and DMC3 Vergil
- Manual lock-on
- Option for toggled lock-on. (new to DMC)
- Gods Must Die difficulty: No items, enemies have more HP, hit harder and start in DT. (new to DMC).
- Hardcore Mode: Game plays more like classic DMC. Style meter drops faster. Dante's DT doesn't launch enemies. Parry and evade windows are tighter. (Is a toggle option).
- Turbo Mode. 20% like DMC 3 and 4.
- Must Style: Enemies only take damage on S-rank and above (new to DMC. Inspired by posts made by Dahbomb according to one of the devs)
- Faster Rainstorm (based on mods)
- Triple Angel Evade like Trickster's Triple Dash from DMC3 (based on mods)
- Tweaked style ranking mechanics. All previous style buffs have been removed in favor of an Awesome Combo multiplier. Style meter drops from letter to letter instead of stopping.
- Lots of balance changes. Demon Evade has different properties. Rebalanced difficulty (enemy AI, HP&damage values have been heavily tweaked. Green Orbs have a lower drop rate IIRC). Enemy spawns are different. Bosses have been tweaked. Vergil in particular is way harder. GMD Hardcore Must Style Vergil is legit.
- Different item placements for every item, secret mission door type and Lost Soul.
- Vergil's fedora has been removed from cutscenes (the team didn't like it). The Mundus-Lilith sex scene is now cut, is implicit rather than explicit. Lilith's "The world is now your bitch, as am I" line has been cut. The ending scene with Dante and Kat is slightly longer with them walking off and Dante grabbing her butt.
- Bug fixes

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Shame the DE enhancement never made it to PC. Devil Trigger really was some insta-win shit with the auto launch in the OG game.

I enjoyed it while I hated the vanilla version of the game. It's a welcome enhancement that I wish more people had the option to enjoy.
It didn't take away everything I didn't like about the game but it made the combat fun and enjoyable which is #1 for me. Only slight there is they half assed the colored enemies thing, but a PC version mod would have rectified that.

Wow thanks, I didn't liked the original, but I'm willing to try with these changes. What a huge list of changes for the DE.

I really enjoyed Vanilla DmC (I actually enjoyed it more than MGR), but the DE version is fantastic. The bosses are still more style over substance, but there are a ton of gameplay fixes. Make sure you enable turbo and hardcore modes though.

Sesha

Honestly, I'd recommend the DE version on current gen consoles over any other version. I didn't find the original's combat satisfying and Hard+Turbo mode adds a lot of it with the complete rebalance which bumped it up to a pretty good game to me.
I'm still confused why the DE version of DmC isn't on PC or why there isn't any mods to bring it in like with the DE version I'd buy it if it were available.

The modding community is dead. Everyone has moved on.

As for why DE isn't released on PC, wbacon told me this:

wbacon said:
Sadly, it's unlikely to happen due to cost implications (high cost vs. potential revenue/recoup) and dev resource constraints.

the fact they made Dante look like some skinny emo kid.

This is the type of bashing I hate the most regarding to DmC.

If you what to know why people hate DmC, you have to put like 100+ hours into the other Devil May Cry games excluding 2. Mastering the controls and doing Cancels that puts a new depth into the game.

Then you see how shallow a game DmC is and this is true for any game that follows that route.

Let's say you have a FPS horror game. People love the first game but by the time the 3rd game comes out, it becomes a shell of it's former self with the only recognizable thing is the name and the characters.

NotLiquid

It's good. It's just not DMC3/DMC4 good.

It's a better character action game than pretty much every other western-made equivalent and it deserves props for that, but it doesn't hold a candle to the combat systems of both it's Japanese contemporaries and predecessors.

There's also the fact that the story and characters are a joke and completely unlikable. Say what you will about the previous DMC games but the over-the-top nature of the game was always earnest, usually asking of the players to laugh with it rather than laugh at it. Everything about the first game specifically (which always invites people bringing up hammy scenes as "proof" that DMC's stories were never good), while much more straight faced, was told with such an inherent lack of irony that it made the setting endearing, engrossing and campy. Kamiya is an expert at sincere storytelling since it's clear he loves what he's working with, and in DMC3, Hideaki Itsuno managed to do a stellar job in telling the story of Dante and Vergil. There's a good reason as to why that game immortalized those two characters in the minds of millions.

So it's a shame that DmC as a whole feels like it's just embarrassed of that legacy and opts for a story that couldn't be more edgy if it tried. Instead of an entertaining story with lovable characters and a tongue firmly planted in it's cheek it settles for a vibe that tries really hard to make it's characters look cool and above reproach. The result is a massive disconnect that instantly throws me out of the experience.

But yes, setting aside the terrible boss battles and some dumb enemy design, the gameplay itself is enjoyable and was fairly well improved with the Definitive Edition.

TribladeX

Neo Member
Rahni Tucker and a few key people at Ninja Theory opted to listen to fan feedback from DMC fans who actually played and dissected their game, and that's how the DmC: Definitive Edition came to be.

Actually, Capcom were responsible for the inception of the DE. They pitched it to NT along the lines of "we want to do an 'ultimate' version of DmC". However, they were only interested in a few core changes: From what I remember they wanted the inclusion of the DLC (Vergil's stuff, the pre-order perks and all of the costumes), a locked 60hz framerate, adding Turbo mode, some minor tweaks to the style rank system (notably making it drain a bit faster), some minor tweaks to the bosses and tweaks to the red/blue enemies (There was probably a couple of other things I'm forgetting now). However, if NT weren't interested in doing it, I'm 99% sure Capcom were going to take it elsewhere anyway.

But we wanted to work on it. However we wanted to do a lot more than what Capcom initially suggested. Obviously you can read the big change list to get an idea of just how much other stuff we ended up putting in there (I'll give you a hint: That list isn't complete; there's more stuff in the game that isn't listed there). A lot of the changes simply came from a "If we're being given the chance to fix it, let's *REALLY* fix it!" mentality. You can really see this in the style rank system: Capcom wanted an hour or two's worth of tweaking. We basically went in and stripped the whole thing out and re-built it from scratch instead. I think it took me about 2 weeks of development time, all in all. Other things, like the collectable shuffle was us trying to make the game interesting for players who'd already been through and 100%'d the vanilla version of the game.

This is the type of bashing I hate the most regarding to DmC.

If you what to know why people hate DmC, you have to put like 100+ hours into the other Devil May Cry games excluding 2. Mastering the controls and doing Cancels that puts a new depth into the game.

Then you see how shallow a game DmC is and this is true for any game that follows that route.

Let's say you have a FPS horror game. People love the first game but by the time the 3rd game comes out, it becomes a shell of it's former self with the only recognizable thing is the name and the characters.

To be fair, the amount of people who mastered the DMC games to the extent of being able to get stuff like max revs with Nero's sword, Vergil's judgement cut just frames, Dante style swap combos is much lower than the people who watched the initial DmC reveal trailer (before his design was changed), and dismissed the game right there and then because he 'looked emo'.

I mean, I agree that it's a stupid complaint, but it's probably the key one that the majority have for it. In terms of gameplay, I'd say difficulty, the red and blue enemies, and simple boss fights are what the majority of players had problems with, not the technical things.

Sesha

Actually, Capcom were responsible for the inception of the DE. They pitched it to NT along the lines of "we want to do an 'ultimate' version of DmC". However, they were only interested in a few core changes: From what I remember they wanted the inclusion of the DLC (Vergil's stuff, the pre-order perks and all of the costumes), a locked 60hz framerate, adding Turbo mode, some minor tweaks to the style rank system (notably making it drain a bit faster), some minor tweaks to the bosses and tweaks to the red/blue enemies (There was probably a couple of other things I'm forgetting now). However, if NT weren't interested in doing it, I'm 99% sure Capcom were going to take it elsewhere anyway.

But we wanted to work on it. However we wanted to do a lot more than what Capcom initially suggested. Obviously you can read the big change list to get an idea of just how much other stuff we ended up putting in there (I'll give you a hint: That list isn't complete; there's more stuff in the game that isn't listed there). A lot of the changes simply came from a "If we're being given the chance to fix it, let's *REALLY* fix it!" mentality. You can really see this in the style rank system: Capcom wanted an hour or two's worth of tweaking. We basically went in and stripped the whole thing out and re-built it from scratch instead. I think it took me about 2 weeks of development time, all in all. Other things, like the collectable shuffle was us trying to make the game interesting for players who'd already been through and 100%'d the vanilla version of the game.

Every word of this makes me wish even more that DE was on PC.

We're lucky you guys wanted to work on it.

Thanks again for including the stat-tracking, toggle lock-on and Must Style btw.

Top Bottom