• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Anyone else using super jumping to great effect? The average player can be completely taken by surprise by super jumping out of a window or over a wall they think you are trapped by. Of coarse now that you can set it up using the in game key binds more and more people are starting to use it.

I wonder if they will remove it when vaulting/jumping out windows comes to pubg. Its pretty much a bug that has been in for months anyways. I feel they would need to remove it because it would likely be faster than the vaulting patch animations.

Venfayth

Here's me playing with the new shadowplay autorecord setting turned on. I unknowingly had my mic enabled, so ignore my keyboard and mouse noises :)

https://streamable.com/ozzjj

The interface is really clunky, I tried to alt tab and it removed the "gallery" at the end that lets you edit your videos, so all of my recordings from this game are uncut.

I also had to re-encode the video to reduce filesize and combine them all together myself post, the original files are pristine quality, looks the same as in game.

Also if you're going to use this feature, make sure you enable it both in the nvidia shadowplay dashboard AND in-game. Or you'll waste a 6 kill military opening like I did trying to show it off!

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

greelay

Anyone else using super jumping to great effect? The average player can be completely taken by surprise by super jumping out of a window or over a wall they think you are trapped by. Of coarse now that you can set it up using the in game key binds more and more people are starting to use it.

I wonder if they will remove it when vaulting/jumping out windows comes to pubg. Its pretty much a bug that has been in for months anyways. I feel they would need to remove it because it would likely be faster than the vaulting patch animations.
I would like to know know more about this. Never even heard of it.

Wardancer

Neo Member
Again, that explains nothing. The fact that it is a bug has 0% relevance.

It triggers 2 animations just like Half-Life or Halo. Why does it matter how many animations it triggers?

Glitch through windows is obviously a glitch and needs to be fixed, but that's beside the point. This is about crouch jumping.

So what exactly do they need to do to make it acceptable, or work like HL crouch?

... but why does it have to work like HL?

IT does not trigger 2 animations like half-life or halo (or well not sure how that worked in halo). Half-life deliberately makes the character crouch in the air to make his collisionbox smaller and allow the player to get onto higher platforms. You can trigger the crouch in mid air etc.

PUBG triggers half an animation that bounces in mid air and clips the players head through walls and only works if jump and crouch is pressed simultaniously, triggering the crouch and the jump. You cannot trigger a crouch mid air and you cannot trigger the jump from a crouch.

Its a huge gulf in implementation and intent. Especially since you can use a bug in the keybinding interface to bind jump and crouch to the same button.

huh? Maybe I am biased because I am a programmer but..

Programming = tech

Textures = art

The tech was already there, they did not create it. They just plugged in a Texture (art) to the world displacement node in the material.

Yes, new tech for the game. The game previously did not use this tech.

See mine and ctw0e posts. You press crouch and jump at the same time which makes your character "crouch" while jumping reducing the size of the hitbox which lets you jump over slightly higher walls and windows.

Not sure what it is about this game that makes people really want to hate it. I have a friend just wants to completely shit on it whenever I talk about it.

also incredibly that they made the game look like a terrible Unity game

cheap moneygrabs with streamerbait and not much substance

isn't the main appeal that it's so basic? spawn, loot, kill
and lots of waiting inside bushes
getting killed from nowhere. what fun that is

Nothing I do or say can convince him otherwise. I guess because it's really popular? I don't get it. I didn't really understand the appeal until I played it, but I never haaaaaaaated it for no reason.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

crouch + Jump + w all at the same time will super jump (aka crouch jump). Not only do you jump higher but you can jump through some windows. You can now bind this in game using the key mapping or you can macro it using logitech or razor software. I would not use other software for macroing or you could be banned. While its controversial it is unlikely bluehole will ban anyone for non-firing macros that come from the two biggest PC peripheral manufacturers out there. Specifically since Logitech and Razer use their software, and macroing, as a selling point. If it happens it would be a shit show of magnanimous proportions, unless the perpetrator was using a no recoil script.

That said there is no reason to use an external macro given you can bind it in game.

Tovarisc

Not sure what it is about this game that makes people really want to hate it. I have a friend just wants to completely shit on it whenever I talk about it.

Nothing I do or say can convince him otherwise. I guess because it's really popular? I don't get it. I didn't really understand the appeal until I played it, but I never haaaaaaaated it for no reason.

Reads like some of those posts in sales threads.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Yes, new tech for the game. The game previously did not use this tech.

"We revealed some new terrain tech"

That sentence makes it seem like they added into the engine, which they didn't, epic did.

What they should have said is, "We have taken advantage of some new terrain tech." This would imply that they are using the "already provided for them tech" and they just plugged in the textures.

And thats only if they are using POM or Tessellation. I am not convinced they didn't just make better textures and call it "New Tech". Its hard to tell without seeing it in game at different angles.

Venfayth

Doesn't really matter, to be honest. They probably leave it in because people will bitch if it's removed.

Vaulting will remove both the need for crouch jumping to exist due to the level design, and the prerogative to leave it in for players who already use it.

Afro

Honestly, the main aspect holding me back from buying this is the unpolished, janky, DayZ-like player movement and feel in first person, specifically. I'm only interested in playing in 1st person. The corner peeking reliant gunplay in 3rd just isn't skill based to me. Yeah, you can peek around corners in Gears, but not nearly to the degree as in PUBG where you can take cover behind a wall and scout half the map in complete safety.

Going from BF1 with perfectly buttery smooth player movement to this would feel absolutely dreadful, I'm assuming. I realize I'm in the minority of people bothered by this, but it's important to me. I'd rather not have to wait a year for a high budget, Ubisoft ripoff though.

I realize it's early access so I'm hoping the first person feel is improved upon. It just looks like a camera mod in its current state.

Tovarisc

Honestly, the main aspect holding me back from buying this is the unpolished, janky, DayZ-like player movement and feel in first person, specifically. I'm only interested in playing in 1st person. The corner peeking reliant gunplay in 3rd just isn't skill based to me. Yeah, you can peek around corners in Gears, but not nearly to the degree as in PUBG where you can take cover behind a wall and scout half the map in complete safety.

Going from BF1 with perfectly buttery smooth player movement to this would feel absolutely dreadful, I'm assuming. I realize I'm in the minority of people bothered by this, but it's important to me. I'd rather not have to wait a year for a high budget, Ubisoft ripoff though.

I realize it's early access so I'm hoping the first person feel is improved upon. It just looks like a camera mod in its current state.

Player movement being weighty is intentional and taken from ArmA's. Don't expect it to change.

Shari

Just learnt about crouch jumping, the fact that can be done within the game with the basic key binding is amazing, will do it tonight and try a few games.

The only thing I have against this is that not everybody has the info and that makes it a bit unfair for those who dont know. I'm not in favor of keeping or removing it, developer can do whatever thinks is best but everybody should know about whatever the implementation is.

Tovarisc

Just learnt about crouch jumping, the fact that can be done within the game with the basic key binding is amazing, will do it tonight and try a few games.

The only thing I have against this is that not everybody has the info and that makes it a bit unfair for those who dont know. I'm not in favor of keeping or removing it, developer can do whatever thinks is best but everybody should know about whatever the implementation is.

Drag 'n Drop looting arguments 2.0

Not everybody knows that crouch jumping is in Half-Life games, mods and mods turned into standalones, but yet it's there.

Before trying PUBG, I was putting most of my time in Battlefield 1 (in between single player games). And yeah, you're right in assuming that it would be a pretty rough transition. BF1 felt way more snappy and responsive.

PUBG is mean to be more realistic I think. That's why there's some acceleration to your movement speeds, as well as momentum and "weight." People don't just start sprinting at their full running speed, and they don't just stop on a dime either. And when you're crouched, you also don't move at a uniform speed from a dead stop.

If I could take 2 things from BF1, it would be the vaulting over small ledges and walls as well as standing straight up from prone with the jump key.

Drag 'n Drop looting arguments 2.0

What's that about now?

Afro

Before trying PUBG, I was putting most of my time in Battlefield 1 (in between single player games). And yeah, you're right in assuming that it would be a pretty rough transition. BF1 felt way more snappy and responsive.

PUBG is mean to be more realistic I think. That's why there's some acceleration to your movement speeds, as well as momentum and "weight." People don't just start sprinting at their full running speed, and they don't just stop on a dime either. And when you're crouched, you also don't move at a uniform speed from a dead stop.

Okay, so you're sacrificing that fluid, polished BF1 feel for a more pseudo sim like experience. I can respect that. Good point.

I might jump in once the first person issues are sorted out, if there even are any. Not sure, haven't been keeping up on the game. Thanks.

Venfayth

People didn't know about drag and drop looting and how it was faster than picking items up off the ground, he's comparing crouch jumping to that. Basically a mechanic of the game that is not entirely intuitive while being beneficial, and the merits (or lack thereof) of having it remain unmentioned in game.

Sajko

Finally! First Chicken dinner after 40 hours.
Could get one or two earlier, but low framerate is making it quite hard. Shaking after this game. Ended in Rozhok and I don't get more than 20 fps there.

WURr838.jpg

Okay, so you're sacrificing that fluid, polished BF1 feel for a more pseudo sim like experience. I can respect that. Good point.

Yeah... sadly it does come off as feeling "unpolished." My initial take was that it was also a holdover from the 3rd person mode, but now I've come to understand that it is meant to be a more sim-like experience. It's a little clunky and awkward, because crouch walking sideways up stairs would also be clunky and awkward. But sometimes that's what you gotta do.

Trying to jump up on some rocks that you KNOW you should be able to jump on is another story. That they need to fix. It's dumb as hell.

People didn't know about drag and drop looting and how it was faster than picking items up off the ground, he's comparing crouch jumping to that. Basically a mechanic of the game that is not entirely intuitive while being beneficial, and the merits (or lack thereof) of having it remain unmentioned in game.

I'm starting to think that I don't know about drag and drop looting. I thought that was only available when looting someone else's gear. Or if you just open your inventory screen and start tossing stuff on the ground.

Are you saying that if you walk up to a pile of loot and open your inventory, you can drag it in? If so... that's pretty nice. I get tired of picking up the wrong thing by accident.

Tovarisc

I know these two mechanics aren't 1:1 comparison, but parallel and similarity of arguments is there. Is it unfair that game doesn't spell out every mechanic that exists, but can be figured out etc.

I'm starting to think that I don't know about drag and drop looting. I thought that was only available when looting someone else's gear. Or if you just open your inventory screen and start tossing stuff on the ground.

Are you saying that if you walk up to a pile of loot and open your inventory, you can drag it in? If so... that's pretty nice. I get tired of picking up the wrong thing by accident.

Yes, you can loot stuff by using that method. Makes it easy and fast to pick up items you want from piles and to loot just in general.

Wardancer

Neo Member
That still doesn't explain how it's a shitty solution mechanically. If it should stay in the game it obviously needs polish, but you were saying the "solution is shit" so I'm really curious what that means.

Do you mean it's harder to execute, and that's why it's shit?

Yes, the execution of it is shit, the result of it is fine but its a buggy shitty mechanic right now because its obviously a bug that the game world is not designed for.

Interesting article about someone who got to rank 110 on the EU solo leaderboard by basically hording healing items and never playing to win.

https://greedygoblin.blogspot.com/2017/08/how-to-get-to-top-05-in-pubg-without.html

Good strategy if you're farming up in-game currency points but... boy does that sound boring. Everytime I realize I'm camping because it's safe, I realize I'd be having more fun getting more loot and trying to kill people. And I still wind up in the top 10 most of the time.

I'm curious how that's even possible. How do you loot bodies, crates?

Or even a pile of items, do you just hope you get the item you want?

Like I said, I though it only worked for downed opponent crates and supply crates. I didn't realize it worked for piles of gear because opening my inventory when standing near a pile of stuff just didn't seem very intuitive.

And yeah, I'd just point my mouse at what I'm trying to grab and it usually works out. Perhaps it's easier in 1st person?

aeolist

Banned

I might jump in once the first person issues are sorted out, if there even are any. Not sure, haven't been keeping up on the game. Thanks.

i haven't really noticed any issues with FPP since it came out. waiting for the vaulting update might make sense but i don't think they're going to significantly change the feel of moving and aiming in this game, they seem to have it about where they want it.

it's just aiming for something different. games like BF1 are way more arcadey.

That's interesting. I'm guessing you never played DayZ, H1Z1 or Arma 2/3?

It's definitely easier in 1st person, but it's still pretty inaccurate if there are several items on the ground.

I've never played any of those games, yeah. It's just more immersive I guess to run up, grab what I want, and then continue to run. As opposed to opening and then closing my inventory when I'm done. Still, for large piles, it will come in handy.

Wardancer

Neo Member
I've never played any of those games, yeah. It's just more immersive I guess to run up, grab what I want, and then continue to run. As opposed to opening and then closing my inventory when I'm done. Still, for large piles, it will come in handy.

With tab looting you can also put attachments onto your weapons directly from the ground if you are short on space. Im just surprised you never ran out of space somewhere and opened the inventory to drop things while next to the item you wanted :p

tariniel

Quick question. Over the weekend, I got that glitch where buildings don't load at all 3 times (the same glitch that some twitch streamer got banned for, when he was driving a car through buildings).

Am I supposed to just exit the game or die intentionally? If I kill someone with this glitch can I get banned? Each time I just used it to tell my team mate where people were while I ran around and tried to get killed.

Hybris

Anyone else's gpu usage get maxed out in the menu for no reason? It drops back down to normal levels during gameplay. Not a huge deal but seems odd. This has been happening since I got the game months ago and never really looked into a possible fix.

Podge293

Quick question. Over the weekend, I got that glitch where buildings don't load at all 3 times (the same glitch that some twitch streamer got banned for, when he was driving a car through buildings).

Am I supposed to just exit the game or die intentionally? If I kill someone with this glitch can I get banned? Each time I just used it to tell my team mate where people were while I ran around and tried to get killed.

I think exiting the game is the expected response. Usually I run around and eventually they load back in.

You can get banned yes. It's in the conduct list (can't remember what they call it). Intentionally exploiting will get you a ban

I'm really glad I know about mapped crouch jumping and other people don't know about. I have an advantage that I will make full use of at every opportunity. If people don't realize you can crouch jump on that one lobby container, they don't care enough about being a high level, high momentum player.

Magwik

Banned
I'm really glad I know about mapped crouch jumping and other people don't know about. I have an advantage that I will make full use of at every opportunity. If people don't realize you can crouch jump on that one lobby container, they don't care enough about being a high level, high momentum player.

I can't tell if this is satire or not
It should be

telasoman

Well the streamer(Destiny) was purposely driving a car through buildings killing people knowing it was an exploit, then said over and over while live, this is going to get me banned, and doing it over and over still.

If you aren't really sure if things arent loading and kill someone once or twice, its likely to never be caught.

I would still recommend against exploiting it on purpose though.

With tab looting you can also put attachments onto your weapons directly from the ground if you are short on space. Im just surprised you never ran out of space somewhere and opened the inventory to drop things while next to the item you wanted :p

I... uh... I may have done that.

Look, the game is tense as fuck and I'm always trying to move quickly. I don't have time to notice things like... the interface :p

Can you not sell newly acquired crates/keys until a certain amount of time passes?

Edit: Never mind, looked it up, I didn't realize steam had implemented a 7 day hold on EVERYTHING

Top Bottom