• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strike Suit Zero |OT| Wing Commander x Macross

Bombless

A Screenshots Competition has been announced, winner gets a physical copy of the artbook. See link in the quote.

Here's the deal: you take a screenshot of SSZ, we'll choose the best three, and send out a Deluxe, physical copy of our artbook (signed by the art team) to whoever snapped the shot.

We want to see torpedoes, trails spiraling across the screen in all directions, explosions framed behind colossal celestial bodies, we want the thrill of battle encapsulated in a single image. We want something BEAUTIFUL.

Any shots appearing from Feb 6th - Feb 20 will be eligible to win. You can also post your screens to Steam, on our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/StrikeSuitZero) and fire them our way on Twitter (@StrikeSuitZero).

NaviLink

So after pushing through the last few missions, I'm finally inside the relic.

Problem is, I can't finish it.

The controls aren't tight enough for flying in a closed environment, let alone enjoy it. I tried both mouse/keyboard and 360 controller, changing the sensitivity and Y axis to improve my chances, but I always end up dying 5 or 6 minutes in. And the fact that the ship is pulled inside completely changes the way you control the Strike Suit. It's the same mistake as the final boss in Lost Planet, for example : don't change the controls I've been used to so far for only one level or boss.

And of course, no checkpoint somewhere in the level, like many times during the whole game. It's the most pressing issue IMHO, and it's been brought up in lots of reviews : add some more checkpoints in there. It drives me nuts to redo the same 20 minutes sequence because I ran out of missiles, that I used to destroy a bunch of corvettes and two frigates, only to have a carrier arrive that I can't take down. It's not challenging, it's annoying. As a game designer myself, doubly so.

I'll gather up the patience to finish the game, but as much as I want to like it, there a few issues that prevent me to do so.

1stStrike

Banned
So after pushing through the last few missions, I'm finally inside the relic.

Problem is, I can't finish it.

The controls aren't tight enough for flying in a closed environment, let alone enjoy it. I tried both mouse/keyboard and 360 controller, changing the sensitivity and Y axis to improve my chances, but I always end up dying 5 or 6 minutes in. And the fact that the ship is pulled inside completely changes the way you control the Strike Suit. It's the same mistake as the final boss in Lost Planet, for example : don't change the controls I've been used to so far for only one level or boss.

And of course, no checkpoint somewhere in the level, like many times during the whole game. It's the most pressing issue IMHO, and it's been brought up in lots of reviews : add some more checkpoints in there. It drives me nuts to redo the same 20 minutes sequence because I ran out of missiles, that I used to destroy a bunch of corvettes and two frigates, only to have a carrier arrive that I can't take down. It's not challenging, it's annoying. As a game designer myself, doubly so.

I'll gather up the patience to finish the game, but as much as I want to like it, there a few issues that prevent me to do so.

One thing I found that helps tremendously in there is to throttle down for chunks of it. If you throttle down too much/often you'll run out of time, though, so you need to be careful when you use it.

Took me like 3 tries to get through it and I chose to
destroy the weapon instead of progressing further
due to the flying mechanics in there. I had no desire to go through even more clunky flying.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So I picked this up a while back, but never managed to start it up yet. Looks like a couple of patches have been pushed since launch, seeing the various bug complaints early on is the game in a better state to jump in if I haven't yet?

Zapages

I am enjoying the game, just got the strike suit... Reminds me of a faster Robotech Battlecry and touch of Gundam Wing/Seed in terms of things going on screen. Fun times!!! :)

Keasar

Despite its shortcomings, I enjoyed Strike Suit Zero and saw the potential for more. All it needed was a tune up of the AI, more interesting missions and perhaps some polish here and there.

I am kinda looking forward to the Strike Suit Infinity release that is wave-based score chasing. Could be fun for a 6.99 dollar price.

dangeROSS

So I grabbed Strike Suit Zero and Strike Suit Infinity on sale for Steam over the weekend. I’ve only played Strike Suit Zero so far. I beat it yesterday and I have to say I enjoyed it.I have been looking for a decent space combat type game, and it was nice to finally play one. I thought the storyline, voice acting, and gameplay mechanics were all well done. The game features a nice soundtrack and the visuals were quite good I thought.

The controls were difficult to adjust to, but after a while I felt comfortable and it was darn cool zipping around and blowing up enemy ships. Eventually you get access to a vehicle that can transform into a robot mode. You absolutely need to use the robot mode, because all the added firepower it gives you is necessary to destroy the increasing about of enemies you come across. But I like how for the first few missions they give you a regular ship and show how things are normally done. It makes it so much more impactful when you realize just how quickly you can terminate ships compared to how you were doing it previously.

Transforming leads to some really cool moments where you fly into position in jet mode, change, unleash hell, and then turn back into jet mode again and get out of dodge. It felt great getting into those sort of scenarios. I’ve seen alot of mixed reviews out there on the game. There are some valid complaints. The game is a bit on the short side, it only took around 5-6 hours to finish I think. And there is a lack of checkpoints in some levels that really can be a pain in the butt.

The last level in particular has no checkpoints at all, and you have to re-do an entire 9 minute segment if you mess up. Which is very lame. Apparently recent patches have addressed some of the difficulty issues and giving you options for difficulty levels. But there are still some very large segments of the game that could have benefited by having checkpoints. Also figuring out how to customize controls was a bit of a convoluted process.

Overall I would say that if you have any interest in space combat type games, Strike Suit Zero is a fun ride. I also grabbed Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, which I do not think is a good game.

Decado

So how is Strike Suit Zero now that it has been out a while (patches, any mods etc.)? It's on sale at GOG for $5. I'm not really interested if it is mediocre, like many, my backlog is pretty huge.

BTW, how does it play with a Xbox 360 gamepad?

MutFox

Banned
For another couple hours, this game is on sale with all the DLC for $5.99.
Tempted, but not sure if this game is worth my time...

Is the game worth it guys?

Tokubetsu

For another couple hours, this game is on sale with all the DLC for $5.99.
Tempted, but not sure if this game is worth my time...

Is the game worth it guys?

It's flawed, and definitely a "cheap" production but If you like this sort of game I'd go for it. If you have a strict sale budget though and you're waiting for other stuff to show up on sale you might want to pass though.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
While it's not living up to my dreams of a Freespace II experience, it's solid (though frustrating with its checkpoints), and gives a nice impression of next gen ZOE when you get that ability. Played 7 hours in a little over 24 hours.

No Love

Banned
Picked this up during the Steam sale. Damn I can't wait to play it... just gotta buy a GTX 780 (or two) and I'll be back to PC gaming. Here's hoping it scratches my space shooter/mecha shooter itch.

Anyone happen to know good sensitivity/deadzone settings for a joystick? I've got the Logitech Extreme 3D if that makes any difference. Can't seem to find settings that feel good.

Techies

Ah here's the OT, game on special on Steam, looked cool so just bought it, will give it a show. When I saw the eurogamer review and read it I knew this was my type of game (hopefully).
Just waiting for the install to complete.

Techies

So far I'm really enjoying the game. That being said the actual strike suit initial impressions were not so great, as it's controls felt UN-natural.

If feels like the aim sensitivity gets tripled.

But so far this is really a decent game, lots of explosions and epic scale space combat.

Top Bottom