• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaden Smith & Vampire Weekend's Ezra Koenig have an anime premiering on Netflix 9/22.

blakep267

I think the rapping is the only evidence anyone really has for him being black which is sad stereotyping. His village has darker skin but that doesn't really mean he's black.
I'm pretty sure most of the lightning village ninja are black. Let's be real. There's darker skin and then there's brown. Zabuza has darker skin. Killer B is black

Question. Do you think Naruto is white?
That depends. I'm againstvwhite washing but with Naruto, I wouldn't be upset if he were a white blonde boy. It can go either way. Sasuke on the other hand is Asian

Watched the first episode and this definitely seems like it's an elaborate roast of the sacred cow that is anime. I'm interested to see if the idea losses steam after multiple episodes but at least for the first episode it was pretty well done.

SalvaPot

Watched the first episode and this definitely seems like it's an elaborate roast of the sacred cow that is anime. I'm interested to see if the idea losses steam after multiple episodes but at least for the first episode it was pretty well done.

...anime is a sacred cow? Huh, news to me.

That depends. I'm againstvwhite washing but with Naruto, I wouldn't be upset if he were a white blonde boy. It can go either way. Sasuke on the other hand is Asian

I was only asking because I get the impression people think Naruto is white because of his physical features (mainly, his blond hair) yet always seem to discredit black characters as just tanned Asians despite their features (dark skin)

I think the rapping is the only evidence anyone really has for him being black which is sad stereotyping. His village has darker skin but that doesn't really mean he's black.

Kumogakure ninjas are inspired by black Americans, and It's as plain as day. First dude you meet from there has corn rows, raps, does fist bumps, has dark skin and hip hop swag.

Wild Card

Let the Cloud village be the place full of black folk guys c'mon.

Also I just made the connection clouds=weed, though I doubt that was intentional.

I... Can't wrap my head around this show, after seeing the whole season.

Animation and music is... decent?
Voicework is all over the place.
Some of the lines are "who wrote this stuff" worthy.

And yet, I can't hate it and I couldn't stop watching.
Is this one of those "So Bad It's Good" kind of deals?

Yes

Azzurri

At least Paul Bettany is in it.

I thought Jaden smith VA was a joke. It's like one of those really bad anime dubs.

Alienous

I don't think it's "so bad it's good". It seems like it's doing exactly what it intends to be doing - being a ridiculous parody of anime, complete with dialogue that wouldn't be out of place in a satirical fandub.

I don't think it's "so bad it's good". It seems like it's doing exactly what it intends to be doing - being a ridiculous parody of anime, complete with dialogue that wouldn't be out of place in a '______ Abdridged' dub.
Okay then.

I will admit, some of the jokes, especially with that Big Toblerone, are actually pretty funny.

"You don't deserve this big Toblerone."

caliph95

I don't think it's "so bad it's good". It seems like it's doing exactly what it intends to be doing - being a ridiculous parody of anime, complete with dialogue that wouldn't be out of place in a satirical fandub.
Yeah I think you're giving it too much credit

Alienous

Yeah I think you're giving it too much credit

I don't think so.

It's the difference between laughing at it and laughing with it. Neo Yokio is in on the joke - it's reveling in its own stupidity, which is parodying anime.

It's just about as far away from taking itself seriously as a show can get.
Mecha Butler, Toblerone
- it's clear as day.

I don't think so.

It's the difference between laughing at it and laughing with it. Neo Yokio is in on the joke - it's reveling in its own stupidity, parodying anime.

It's just about as far away from taking itself seriously as a show can get.
Yeah I don't know about that. It has self aware moments but I doubt that its any kind of parody.

And even if it was, its still pretty piss poor at that and there are many others that do it way better. Boondocks and One Punch Man in particular. Neo Yokio is pretty shit either way.

Alienous

Yeah I don't know about that. It has self aware moments but I doubt that its any kind of parody.

And even if it was, its still pretty piss poor at that and there are many others that do it way better. Boondocks and One Punch Man in particular. Neo Yokio is pretty shit either way.

I'd disagree that either of those parody anime. Boondocks does it occasionally in fight sequences, and One Punch Man is more a parody of superheroes.

The main character of Neo Yokio has a mecha butler. That alone gives their intentions away. It's taking the ridiculous tropes of anime and having fun with them.

I'd disagree that either of those parody anime. Boondocks does it occasionally in fight sequences, and One Punch Man is more a parody of superheroes.

The main character of Neo Yokio has a mecha butler. That alone gives their intentions away. It's taking the ridiculous tropes of anime and having fun with them.

A mecha butler he piggybacks on.

I'm loving this. Just got to the jazz sting for the rival.

I love it, it's exactly as stupid as I thought it would be with some trash voice acting. I have watched way worse anime so this definitely isn't bottom of the barrel.

"DEMON BEGONE FROM THE CHANEL SUIT" is one of my favorite lines. I need to finish it to see the arc with the main girl

Fergie

Banned
Wow. The cast is weirdly impressive.

Desus and Mero (watch their show people, keep the brand strong) definitely got me interesting in watching a few eps.

I disagree that Boondocks and One Punch Man don't parody anime. Of course Boondocks whole shtick isn't parodying anime but it does parody anime and a whole host of other stuff, and its clever about it. One Punch Man parodies Shonen anime, and its clever about it.
Whatever intentions Neo Yokio may have, it isn't clever or well written and is still pretty bad.

blakep267

Just to put it in some perspective. Desus and Mero are comedians and wouldn't take this kinda thing seriously. Let's be real here

Also I wouldn't say OPM is a parody of shounen necessarily. I see it as more of a parody of super heroes/ American comic book heroes and it's just using a shounen manga template as its canvas

Something like Gintama is way more in that direction.

Fancolors

Watched 3 episodes. Couldn't get past that. I suppose the show is intentionally trying to be entertainingly bad, but every attempt at humor just falls flat.

Stopped after two episodes but in the opening establishing shot of episode three
the twin towers are submerged underwater. This is a world where 9/11 never happened. Holy shit.

I think it went to hiring Jude Law.

Or Susan Sarandon.

Seriously, if they spent half their casting budget on animation or writing, this show could have been so much better. I really like the world and some of the gags, but the writing is so flat, the characters are nearly impossible to like or get invested in.

I think the only halfway decent episodes are the last two and probably because Helena is maybe the only ok character and there's an actual plot with stakes.

I hope they do more with this show because I think it has potential, but it needs a lot of work.

ElNarez

Banned
it's not a parody of anime, it's a parody of late-stage capitalism and commodity fetishism, using the trappings and aesthetics of anime

Desi

This shit is so funny. Over here on the floor during episode two. Hanging with fashion industry folk this shit hits.

I think you're reading too into it. You're taking something so laughably generic and derivative that it must be a parody and assuming it is, but there's little indication it's supposed to be.

caliph95

How is having a mecha butler indicating it's a parody

Just having something ridiculous isn't a practical especially anime had dragons, demons, aliens and robots and played it either straight or as a comedy and they are no point made with butler

How is it a parody

Alienous

"Parody - an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect" - the Oxford Dictionary.

It seems to fit that description pretty well to me with regard to anime. The unexplained sidekick mecha is the clearest example of it, but it's there throughout the episodes in facial expressions, scenarios, and other elements.

Oberon

Banned
Wth is this and why is netflix recommending me to watch it
I guess that's what I get for watching the Deathnote movie

Top Bottom