• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democrats are losing their most loyal voters: Black Women

Republics hate blacks

Democrats just want to use blacks

Tell me how I'm wrong. Since we still have institutional racism when we have a Democratic or Republic President. They don't give a shit about blacks just love to pretend. I'm just glad Trump bold with the shit and not a snake with it.

I hope you're not trying that both sides are the same shit

Enzom21

Okay, sure, but he didn't. And this is just a tweet you are calling disingenuous so bringing up future actions or lack thereof is... disingenuous.. So given that he fucked up months ago or whatever, my question remains -- is there something he can say in a tweet today that you won't call disingenuous?

I am pretty sure I answered that. If this was actually important to him there would have been a plan in place by now. His tweet was an empty platitude.
Do you really think that this is something that he is unaware of?

Cyframe

I get it. But we also have a broken 2 party system. Want more Trump, ladies?

With the way our voting rights are being stripped away, I wouldn't be surprised to see the return of literacy tests, and I'm not kidding.

I'm so sick of, and Black women are as well with what amounts to blackmail. Things are worse under Republicans but why support a party that throws Black people under the bus literally and doesn't listen to our advice or the head of the DNC not meeting with Black women who would be fundamental in organizing a winning strategy.

Black women lead the fight for civil rights in this country and are underrepresented by history for their tremendous accomplishments. They're still alive, they're still here, would more than be happy to give consultations, but dems, as mentioned are fishing for a demographic that was lost 50 years ago.

In 2020, if dems haven't shaped up, I won't vote for whoever they choose for President (I will still vote locally) but why on earth are the dems spitting in the face of their most loyal constituents? Answer that question before offering up another serving of Trump.

jtb

Banned
Just the presidency, though. Meanwhile, the Democrats as a party has lost hundreds of seats in state and congressional legislatures since Obama was elected the first time.

Wasn't that a direct reaction to the most progressive piece of healthcare legislation passed in this country's history?

I don't see how this makes any sense within the context of your argument: either the country voted for Republicans because Obama was too conservative, or they voted for him because he was too liberal.

(Or it was the confluence of many factors, including generic ones - like incumbent backlash - as well as ones specific to Obama - unprecedented gerrymandering, weaponizing racial resentment, etc.)

sangreal

I am pretty sure I answered that. If this was actually important to him there would have been a plan in place by now. His tweet was an empty platitude.
Do you really think that this is something that he is unaware of?

You're missing my point. I have no idea if he has a plan in place and neither do you. You're criticizing his tweet, so my question is what could he have put in his tweet that you wouldn't criticize? I take it from your answers that he would have had to spell out specifics on how he would address the problem and that is fair enough, I just wouldn't use the word disingenuous. Unsatisfactory maybe

I get it. But we also have a broken 2 party system. Want more Trump, ladies?

"I get it, but I'm gonna talk down to you anyway."

If democrats want minority votes, they'd better fucking work for them. "Because Trump!!!111" isn't going to inspire everyone to rush the polls. It's really that simple.

Instead of people being upset about the perspective shown by black women (and people of color in general), why aren't "liberals" more concerned about making a better Democratic party?

Africanus

Even as a black man who is fully aware and educated about the detriment that Republicans in power can cause (as my state didn't have a proper budget for two years as a result...) I still at times feel wary just writing a blank cheque with my vote on it.
How much less black women?

It's a dangerous trend, one that Democrats should be aware of.
I was just reading an article that said while voting is up amongst multiple demographics, it's down amongst black people and (regarding colleges) down by 11% on HBCUs. That can be a difference between a win and a loss on the level at the least.

Kodos said it best. "Go ahead. Throw your vote away."

You're going from getting nothing to getting less than nothing.

If they voted for Democrats and no longer feel they're getting their money's worth then what they're doing is smart by making themselves heard. Supporting Democrats regardless of what they say, do and who they prioritize i.e. white males over blacks is dumb.

D i Z

There's only two parties in the US, so I will always pick the lesser of two evils. Unfortunately, refusing to do so, while not voting for the other side, benefits the eviler side.

Democrats in power will result in more people suffering less.

I hope black Democratic women continue to write and force the Dem leadership to listen to their voices. I also hope that Democratic leadership listens, and realizes there's a problem.

But I sincerely hope that everyone -- regardless of representation in the Blue Camp--continues to vote for the Blue Camp as long as there is danger of a GOP victory otherwise.

Good places to start putting pressure would be in places where it's blue controlled and would be even with a "split" vote. However, look at the Senate right now. Look at how many votes they need to ram horrible bills (Graham Lindsay or whatever and however the fuck you spell out those fuckfaces) into the US and hurt us. 51. They only need one more than half. What will happen when the GOP get 56, 57, 60 senators into office due to a split vote? Then literally everyone suffers.

I really hate to sound like a scary ass dictator right now, but sometimes we do need to think of the greater good.

On that note, we (the left) should band together and all write letters and demand that the Democratic Party reach out and meet with the black women groups. We should put pressure on the Democrats to be inclusive. There has to be a way we can solve this without handing the GOP ironclad control of our country.

I hear what you're saying. But what happens when the African American populous just says "no"? What does plan B look like for the left?
I don't really think anyone wants to really push those chips into the middle.

Yes. The racism and white supremacy are directly tied to the conservatism. Where do your friends live?

Deep in the heart of Texas.

Wasn't that a direct reaction to the most progressive piece of healthcare legislation passed in this country's history?

I don't see how this makes any sense within the context of your argument: either the country voted for Republicans because Obama was too conservative, or they voted for him because he was too liberal.

(Or it was the confluence of many factors, including generic ones - like incumbent backlash - as well as ones specific to Obama - unprecedented gerrymandering, weaponizing racial resentment, etc.)
I think people vote for Republicans because Obama didn't deliver on the change he campaigned on.

sangreal

If they voted for Democrats and no longer feel they're getting their money's worth then what they're doing is smart by making themselves heard. Supporting Democrats regardless of what they say, do and who they prioritize i.e. white males over blacks is dumb.

That's true, but there is something to be said for timing too.

I don't like the way this thread has shifted to black people are to blame for Trump though

sangreal

kirblar

I think people vote for Republicans because Obama didn't deliver on the change he campaigned on.
Are they the SC/EL populist voter types that are giving us heartburn?

Hard to change things when you vote all the Dems out of congress 20 months later.
That's true, but there is something to be said for timing too.

I don't like the way this thread has shifted to black people are to blame for Trump though
I don't think it has?

Shauni

She said the party has focused more on wooing back "white male voters who have not supported the Democratic Party for 50 years" rather than "watering the garden in your own back yard."

This is really a big thing that worries me about the rising popularity of Sanders. You are argue (truthfully) that the Dems have been bad to ignore their key voters, but he has a fetish like desire to win back white voters, and that will destroy the party. The majority of white voters will never come back to the Democratic party.

kirblar

This is really a big thing that worries me about the rising popularity of Sanders. You are argue (truthfully) that the Dems have been bad to ignore their key voters, but he has a fetish like desire to win back white voters, and that will destroy the party. The majority of white voters will never come back to the Democratic party.
(because Vermont is the second-whitest, second-most rural state in the US)

This article reminds me of Malcolm X's "Ballot or the Bullet" speech. The Democrats are fucking up and have been taking the Black vote for granted for decades. I wish that we were all politically active enough to abandon the Democratic Party altogether. Won't happen anytime soon with how widespread voter suppression is.

Are they the SC/EL populist voter types that are giving us heartburn?
SC/EC all the way unless it's for national security of course. They seemed to be desperate for help, though, especially for their kids.

Hard to change things when you vote all the Dems out of congress 20 months later.
True, but people wanted change and didn't get it, so they punished Dems for it.

SheSaidNo

So it was 78% in 2015, 85% in 2016, and then back down to 75% in 2017. Kinda weird to frame it as losing the black women vote especially from a not super representative survey

This article reminds me of Malcolm X's "Ballot or the Bullet" speech. The Democrats are fucking up and have been taking the Black vote for granted for decades. I wish that we were all politically active enough to abandon the Democratic Party altogether. Won't happen anytime soon with how widespread voter suppression is.

This sounds like an awful idea. I don't see how this could possibly be better than getting the party to align better with minorities, specifically black women

kirblar

Okay? Obviously I'm referencing a national level there.
No, I know you are. I'm trying to expand on it w/ an explanation for what's driving Sanders off this cliff - this rural/white population base that he's always tailoring his speeches toward is all he's ever known for almost the entirety of his political career. And he is old and stubborn and not able to adapt to a message that resonates with an America that doesn't look like Vermont.

Democrats will always be the party that hasn't the hardest time coming together because Democrats are herding a variety of different interest and groups and trying to keep (X) number of groups happy not to mention some of those groups actively dislike/hate one another. How do you appeal to black women in a way that doesn't upset the rest of the your constituents? Today black women are man, tomorrow Latino men are upset and next week, midwestern whites.

Then throw in the fact that well, Democrats REALLY fucking suck at actually voting despite how much we scream about how important it is. Yea we show up during the presidential election and then disappear in midterms. Of course the catch to all this is if blacks or any other minority group says "Fuck the Democrats they aren't seeing to my needs!" Everyone gets fucked over. Yea you get to feel special voting third party while the Democrats lose, Republicans win and opps there go your voting rights, opps there goes your marriage equality, but you sure felt good doing that protest vote huh?

Republicans got it easy the groups they have to herd are smaller in their differences and generally speaking don't actively hate each other at times and will set aside their differences, usually, and vote.

Shauni

No, I know you are. I'm trying to expand on it w/ an explanation for what's driving Sanders off this cliff - this rural/white population base that he's always tailoring his speeches toward is all he's ever known for almost the entirety of his political career. And he is old and stubborn and not able to adapt to a message that resonates with an America that doesn't look like Vermont.

Ah, I see. Yeah, said it pretty well.

Again, he won twice. He would've won again. It's also hard to deliver the world when your party is filibuster proof for a grand total of about 6 months, and much of that time is being dedicated to the fuckery of healthcare. He was essentially relegated to executive orders for the majority of his Presidency. (some of which very important, most of which are now being completely done away with)

People show up every 4 years and think that's all it takes. I see it all the time among liberals. Shit's stupid.

I was referring only to parties that have actually obtained power

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_parties_in_the_United_States

Even the Republican party has largely shifted to the Tea Party despite not changing their name
Republicans shifted because Obama made them slam the panic button and indulge the worst aspects of their party to win.

Despite Trump being a total tire fire, I'm not seeing much happening in terms of a dynamic change for the Democratic party. At least not in any way besides relitigating the primaries every week.

Again, I'd love to vote for third party that has its shit together and can win, but it doesn't exist.

sangreal

Republicans shifted because Obama made them slam the panic button and indulge the worst aspects of their party to win.

Despite Trump being a total tire fire, I'm not seeing much happening in terms of a dynamic change for the Democratic party. At least not in any way besides relitigating the primaries every week.

Again, I'd love to vote for third party that has its shit together and can win, but it doesn't exist.

I agree that it doesn't exist. I guess my argument is that it doesn't exist because they don't have compelling ideas, not because it isn't possible to overcome the 2-party system -- something that has happened several times in our history and even in the last decade.

This. This divide is artificial. You can't have one without the other.

I wouldn't quite say it's artificial. While both are linked, the divide is in which will cause a greater effect on the other. Hillary was on the side of fixing social disparity would fix a number of the issues with economic disparity. Bernie was on the side of fixing economic inequality would solve a number of issues with social inequality. Those two opposing methods are at the root of the current schism in the Democratic party.

The issue is that black woman fall largely into the first group, but it seems like the party, mainly spurned on by this recent wave of populism and the growing popularity of Sanders is moving more towards the second group, despite the fact that that bloc consists of young people (who don't reliably vote for anyone) and the white working class (who don't reliably vote Dem) and this is problematic.

The party platform is essentially being guided by wild card voters and the expense of consistent ones, simply because they're louder and more numerous

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
At least some are getting it, let's see how quickly this is shoved under the rug to continue the quest to court the mythical "white moderates".

Dumb thing is you don't have to do anything to court those. Just promise jobs and security. In as simple terms as possible. Verbosity makes them think you're smarter than they are and they run.

What I don't really understand is how courting voters on both social and economic justice pits different interests groups against one another.

There is a small donor group of individuals that leverage the media to play up this divide. After all, the progressive wing of the democratic party is more socially and economically progressive than their left-leaning centrist counterparts by definition. This conflating the vast majority of Bernie supporters with "moderates" is utter tripe. It is literally the opposite of true for registered democrats supporting Sanders by and large.

There is a contingency of independents and other moderates that support Sanders, but they are a tiny group relative to his progressive supporters. This is easily evidenced by the fact that a larger percentage of Bernie supporters voted Clinton during this recent general election than did Clinton supporters in past general elections voting for Obama.

bionic77

WTF?

White people just voted in the most racist, sexist and insane presidential candidate of all time and someone writes an article about black women not voting enough?

kirblar

What I don't really understand is how courting voters on both social and economic justice pits different interests groups against one another.

There is a small donor group of individuals that leverage the media to play up this divide. After all, the progressive wing of the democratic party is more socially and economically progressive than their left-leaning centrist counterparts by definition. This conflating the vast majority of Bernie supporters with "moderates" is utter tripe. It is literally the opposite of true for registered democrats supporting Sanders by and large.

There is a contingency of independents and other moderates that support Sanders, but they are a tiny group relative to his progressive supporters. This is easily evidenced by the fact that a larger percentage of Bernie supporters voted Clinton during this recent general election than did Clinton supporters in past general elections voting for Obama.
Because there's a white/rural section of the party/swing voters that is not very "enlightened" on racial/social issues and actively dislikes when it sees them get airtime. They like programs they perceive as giving benefits to them, but hate programs they perceive as giving benefits to those people.

For instance, when Angus King, currently a Senator from Maine who caucuses with the Dems and is generally viewed as Left/Liberal, left the Democratic Party in '93, he explained his rationale with this:
"The Democratic Party as an institution has become too much the party that is looking for something from government,"
That is one hell of a dogwhistle, and when you consider Maine elected LePage Governor... you can see that the kinds of pressures he was responding to 25 years ago haven't changed one bit there.

WTF?

White people just voted in the most racist, sexist and insane presidential candidate of all time and someone writes an article about black women not voting enough?

Bruh, the article is literally about Dems not doing enough for black women and it starting to show, not the other way around

If the black had just voted a little harder it could have offset 65 million crazy white folk.

It's always the black mans fault.

Thanks Obama!

I think the article is criticising the Democrats, not blaming black women, but it's no surprise that people have responded like that and tried to lay the guilt trip on people most likely to vote Democrat.

Black people have been propping up the Democrats for generations and what's the first thing that happens after a black president is replaced by a white supremacist?

"How can we make the Democrats more appealing to racists?"

Cannot blame minorities, black women in particular, for deciding there's no point and staying home until someone starts giving a fuck about them.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
If the black had just voted a little harder it could have offset 65 million crazy white folk.

Thanks Obama!

I know you're being sarcastic, but that's been an actual talking point here on GAF by a few folks post-election.

Ri'Orius

Thanks Obama!

What I'm seeing in this thread is "Democrats can't move right to try to pick up white moderates!" And I'm like... how do you get the white vote without moving right?

I wish we lived in a society where a real left-wing party could get elected. A party dedicated to police reform, equality across racial, gender and class lines, supply-side economics, single payer, the works.

But I don't think that such a party can get elected. And I'd rather have a watered-down Democrat party that can actually win seats than an ideologically correct Democrat party that can't.

jtb

Banned
What I'm seeing in this thread is "Democrats can't move right to try to pick up white moderates!" And I'm like... how do you get the white vote without moving right?

I wish we lived in a society where a real left-wing party could get elected. A party dedicated to police reform, equality across racial, gender and class lines, supply-side economics, single payer, the works.

But I don't think that such a party can get elected. And I'd rather have a watered-down Democrat party that can actually win seats than an ideologically correct Democrat party that can't.

Well, as Trump (and the New Deal coalition) proved: just be racist.

Top Bottom