• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Paper Mario Wii U in development (Intelligent Systems)

L.O.R.D

paper_mario_3d_rumor_confirmed_fake.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaQ2Mcmr2aI

never forget

I'd be totally down for TTYD HD. Loved it on GC and would look so good in HD without any real effort other than typical clean up duty. Wonder what enhancements we could see graphically if so. I don't want it looking hyper realistic since the simple look feels perfect for it, it's not a game that needs uber lighting and depth of field really.

Interesting!

FYI: The quoted text doesn't give any more information other than several people confirming that they are "building a Wii U version".

Ezalc

50/50 chance it'll be good at this point. Guess we'll see if it's true and if it is, if it's any good later.

I really hate that I'm more worried about the possibility of this than excited after the last 2 games.

I want third, good, proper Paper Mario, but until I have definitive prof it exists and isn't ruined by some gimmick that completely misses the point if why these games were good in the first place, I have zero hope.

Possible E3 announcement, I hope. While I did enjoy Sticker Star for what it was. I'd be down for the more traditional Paper Mario on Wii U.

HUELEN10

I hate to be that guy, but... just re-released TTYD in HD with full 16:9, GCN controller support, extra mini-games, and a new optional whole chapter in order to get Ms. Mowz.

StevieP

Banned
So what people want is to have pretty much the same game they played over a decade ago. But I thought the complaint was that this publisher doesn't change up their shit enough and is stuck making the same games over and over again? When they try different things, you end up with people bitching about it not being a "real" entry.

Pokemaniac

Recently, I started thinking a Wii U Paper Mario was unlikely due to all of the other games Intelligent Systems was making. This has me cautiously optimistic about a new one coming sooner rather than later. Hopefully, if they go the more experimental route again, the new gameplay twist they come up with is better thought through than that of Sticker Star.

BlackJace

inb4 Paper Mario amiibo is a Circuit City exclusive.

This made me chuckle real hard, thanks.

So what people want is to have pretty much the same game they played over a decade ago. But I thought the complaint was that this publisher doesn't change up their shit enough and is stuck making the same games over and over again? When they try different things, you end up with people bitching about it not being a "real" entry.

Nah, they want the spirit of TTYD. It had a great story, good characters, and a rewarding and challenge battle system.

The changes and gimmicks to the recent titles screwed them up.

I loved Super Paper Mario, and I even thought Sticker Star was decent. But damn I just want a game as imaginative and quirky as The Thousand-Year Door. Please.

Grief.exe

Recently, I started thinking a Wii U Paper Mario was unlikely due to all of the other games Intelligent Systems was making. This has me cautiously optimistic about a new one coming sooner rather than later. Hopefully, if they go the more experimental route again, the new gameplay twist they come up with is better thought through than that of Sticker Star.

This is why I can see the potential for a remaster rather than a new game.

Clefargle

Please be like the first two games if true

Please be a true successor to the first two games.

Please don't be like Paper Mario 3DS

Please be like first 2 please please please

Please be the true successor to TTYD.

YESSS. Please be like the original two!!

Let's go sequel to TTYD. I'm all the way to hype town and I'm not coming back.

Needs to be like TTYD if this is even true.

tumblr_lzvnh09sIE1qmhj3no1_500.gif

Amir0x

Banned
I would love a sequel to Super Paper Mario and I am not joking.

Me too, minus the five minute treadmill segment. Super Paper Mario was rad and I stick by that. But of course I'd love a sequel to TTYD even more. But god, please not a sequel to the 3DS game.

PLEASE let this be real this time.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Me too, minus the five minute treadmill segment. Super Paper Mario was rad and I stick by that. But of course I'd love a sequel to TTYD even more. But god, please not a sequel to the 3DS game.

I'm fairly certain there was another way to complete that segment...

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone translated this yet? I just see hype in this thread.

PillarEN

If it is a new game I hope they have the same clever localization team work on it. Thousand Year Door was really good in the writing department (aside from the likely forced by NoA hiding of the transgender stuff).

super-paper-mario-message-board-e.jpg

Crappy image quality but the text is what's important.

That was one of my favorite parts of Super Paper Mario. Just finding a way to get the jackpot without doing all that work was really fun. Chapter 3 with Francis was awesome as well.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm fairly certain there was another way to complete that segment...

It's been a while, but don't you need to look up a code you wouldn't otherwise have at that point in the game to access a shortcut? I don't remember anymore. Been so long.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Miyamoto is too busy with Star Fox and trying to make the GamePad worth a crap to care about Paper Mario. I think we're safe.

It's one thing to change things up to keep things interesting. It's something else entirely to do what Sticker Star did with Paper Mario. Sticker Star is like, aggressively anti Paper Mario, to the point you have to ask why even bother making it in the same series if the only thing it has in common with its previous entries is the visuals.

Top Bottom