• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mantorok

Hmm, thinking further I would not be at all upset by a full line of HD revamped GCN ports. I would definitely buy Pikmin, Maro Sunshine, Eternal Darkness, and just about any quality game if they were priced in the $29.99 range.

You can always live in hope:)

They should of just released an up-res'd edition of Wind Waker and saved the graphical overhaul for a release of Twilight Princess. Jussayin.

But hey Ill have Wind Waker on the gamepad and the graphics look nice so i am very pleased.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The best part about Triforce hunting was how I did the first half or 2/3rds or whatever of it spread out before the game asked me to, so by the time I actually had to do it, it was mostly the fighting areas and Ghost Ship so it felt really cool and not tedious at all.

Yeah, if you read the clues the game gives you and explore as you go along the quest isn't a pain. The main issue is the translating of maps. If they can streamline that I don't think the quest will be as much of a problem.

PKrockin

The best part about Triforce hunting was how I did the first half or 2/3rds or whatever of it spread out before the game asked me to, so by the time I actually had to do it, it was mostly the fighting areas and Ghost Ship so it felt really cool and not tedious at all.

That's what I always did as well. I explored the sea on my own initiative because it was fun. Also dat music.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
GWQTP6a.gif

MisterHero

Wow, what a great surprise!

Initially, the color contrast isn't as vibrant as the original's cel-shading. Maybe combining it with the new resolution will result in richer colors though.

It's nice that left-handed Link fans were thrown a bone. >:)

How can it be standard if a game displays different things on the screens and both are required to be visible?
Perhaps I should have said "standard for all Wii U titles that don't make use of the second screen for more than extra HUD elements". :)

Though the only Wii U games I can think of off the top of my head that do use the second screen for actual gameplay is ZombiU, Rayman, and Nintendoland.

Derrick01

Banned
Abusing a developer to force them to actually change their game because they didn't like the ending isn't entitled?

Forcing them to change a lazy and rushed ending full of plot holes is not entitled, that's expecting some damn competence from the product you paid $60 for.

Wii U will presumably have at some point HD versions of Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy 1/2.

Between that and the virtual console... best console ever!

I think Super Mario Sunshine is what I want to see in HD the most!

Dr Dogg

Oh... I've just had a thought. Seeing as it's going to be on the WiiU and the game pad acts as a second screen, you know like the GBA was when connected to the GameCube, that there's going to be some Tingle Tuner "fun" for everyone now.

Oh... I've just had a thought. Seeing as it's going to be on the WiiU and the game pad acts as a second screen, you know like the GBA was when connected to the GameCube, that there's going to be some Tingle Tuner "fun" for everyone now.

Is everyone posting this, aside from the original person, doing it as a joke at this point?

Revven

The visuals will only improve from here onward. Some very select people are acting like this is the final build. Plz calm down.

PKrockin

Oh yeah, that would be great, and makes total sense since it adds a gimmick for the Wii U. And it's like Mario Galaxy's second-player "girlfriend mode." The only question is if Nintendo has enough common sense to implement it.

Is everyone posting this, aside from the original person, doing it as a joke at this point?

I never owned a GBA Link cable or got to see what the Tingle Tuner did exactly, what was wrong with it?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I;m wondering if they took out fully cell-shaded characters because they contrasted too much with the painted backgrounds?

The thing I've always wondered about the technique... how exactly would HD improve it? Besides crisper outlines, there isn't much of any additional detail that can be improved upon.

I still think and hope they return to the flat, cell-shaded look for characters.

Dr Dogg

Sadly I posted this before looking back 4 pages to see someone else and then 4 other people had posted the same thing. So I guess that makes me an idiot. Or maybe it's repressed memories of forking out for a GBA and hard to find link cable and being bitterly disappointed at the results.

GCX

I may have to buy WiiU for this game. I love WW so much.

Hope they add some content that was cut from the original game.

big_z

Seems like a "we ain't got no games" desperation move. Wind waker looked great but isn't the best Zelda. If they add in the missing dungeons then maybe it's worth a retread but otherwise meh. I rather the team was working on a new Zelda with the same art style.

Nintendo needs to get eiji off the series. He said he was tired of it in the past so switch things up Nintendo.

Xun

Looks decent, but hopefully some tweaks will be made. This was always a game I wanted to see in HD, so I'm surprised it's being done.

Will it be in 1080p or is that just the screenshots?

Also why the hell did they change the flags to the Flag of France? Weird.

The Lamp

Some people are saying that the longer they look at it, the more their minds change about the graphics.

The longer I look at the screenshots, the more disappointed I become. They have made it to where if I was playing that game right there, I'd want to shield my eyes from the graphics, as the gratuitous amounts of bloom leave me wondering what I'm doing in this blinding, saturated hell hole of an island.

And from what I recall, nobody wanted the "clay" look for Zelda.
We wanted the "clay" look for Pikmin 3.

They better fix this.

GCX

Seems like a "we ain't got no games" desperation move. Wind waker looked great but isn't the best Zelda. If they add in the missing dungeons then maybe it's worth a retread but otherwise meh. I rather the team was working on a new Zelda with the same art style.
But the team IS working on a new Zelda. Did you even watch the direct?

"Tune up the overall game experience" sounds far more like "add polish and improve the presentation of the same content" than "remove the Triforce piece hunt and add the cut dungeons".

You'd think if they actually planned to do that they would use words like "all-new content."

I wouldn't want the Triforce hunt out even if the cut dungeons were put back in though.

guek

Banned

You don't give a shit about anything nintendo does, man, stop pretending.

Then again, maybe you're one of those self hating consumers who buys stuff they just love to hate.

It's all in the lighting and shading. In OG WW, Link's hair, for example, is a solid block of dark yellow when not in sunlight, and a solid block of bright yellow when in sunlight. It's a binary switch between two distinct colors. In HD WW, you can see gradation in the shading, so it gives it a distinctly 3D, clay-like look, as opposed to the 2D, animated look of the original.

I much prefer the original look. I hope they can match the uprezzed textures of the HD version with the lighting of the OG version.

dan2026

Screens look iffy. The strong art wins over still though.

Hope they actually fix the crap last half fetch questing.
Otherwise there is no point.

Wii U will presumably have at some point HD versions of Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy 1/2.

Between that and the virtual console... best console ever!

I think Super Mario Sunshine is what I want to see in HD the most!

From what I understand this is not simply an "HD version". It's analogous to the NPC series, where they changed controls and some other minor stuff (that's why the original developers did the new versions). So I really doubt they would release 3 Zeldas.

Batman

Banned
That would be crazy if they went back and added the missing pieces in the game that they couldn't complete because they rushed it, no excuse now for Nintendo.

Timeless

I came in to this thread after reading "Wind Waker HD" on Twitter expecting HD perfection...

Maybe this is it, but not to me. The Dolphin screenshots of a higher-resolution Wind Waker is much much much much more appealing to me.

It got hate in its heyday for its art style but look back at Twilight Princess and then Wind Waker and tell me which one's graphics have held up better.

The bloom is a particular worry, but augh. Nintendo, the king of lazy ports, had to go the extra mile on the one game that didn't need it*.

*Of course, the content changes will be welcome if they streamline the game's rough edges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom