• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Camera already out, unboxing videos inside

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
That thing is insanely small. I look forward to using it as a computer camera. As soon as someone hacks it.

bud

How is Sony able to charge ONLY $60 for the camera? I was looking at webcams on Amazon.com and I noticed that a webcam that has the features of the PS4 Camera would definitely cost more than $60.

sony are not in it for the money

Briarios

It's sad that I'm actually considering getting the camera because of the pong-like demo ... it actually looked fun, and the people around me would play it :p You can actually twist and deform the playfield by twisting and moving the DS4:

http://youtu.be/z6zAAMU1T-k

PSGames

The Just Dance dev mentions in this IGN video that PS4 version uses the camera:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I9uRYxKn2k

He raves about Kinect 2 and then mentions the eye in passing. Will be interesting to see how they compare.

For those wondering, after I recorded my video I took some pictures of it mounted on my TV in case you're curious how it mounts. Seems like its on there pretty solidly to me.

Nice. That mount is really slick.

kairu

For those wondering, after I recorded my video I took some pictures of it mounted on my TV in case you're curious how it mounts. Seems like its on there pretty solidly to me.

ps4-camrea-ontv.png

sony are not in it for the money
Your a blind fanboy if you believe this.

Sony can support a tinier profit margin because it's suplimented by people buying software that supports the camera. Other webcam makers make their money primarily on selling you the unit. Different model.

Sony can support a tinier profit margin because it's suplimented by people buying software that supports the camera. Other webcam makers make their money primarily on selling you the unit. Different model.

Sony cares about its customers, not the money.

Bog

Junior Ace

*You're*

And he was obviously kidding. You must be a real treat to hang out with.

How is Sony able to charge ONLY $60 for the camera? I was looking at webcams on Amazon.com and I noticed that a webcam that has the features of the PS4 Camera would definitely cost more than $60.

For one, computer webcams typically come with software that you're paying for in addition to the hardware. Second, webcams have always been absurdly priced. The PS3 Eye was always $40 while comparable webcams were $100.

WeakerYouth

Neo Member

I agree it feels very stable with this mount. My TV isn't quit as slim as yours in the pictures, but it seems like this mount will work perfect with most all TV's.

The box art graphics (which I know is shared throughout all PS4 print materials) with the blue background and swirling PlayStation geometry icons are really uninspired.

Is that just NA? I wonder if Japan will get better print materials.

Jack_AG

Banned
While i dislike cams for gaming (never got into move, kinect, etc) I still like to have one for video chatting with friends, etc. I do game on a monitor, tho - so the cam would sit on my monitor at roughly arm's length - not sure that is enough distance for the camera...

kairu

The box art graphics (which I know is shared throughout all PS4 print materials) with the blue background and swirling PlayStation geometry icons are really uninspired.

Is that just NA? I wonder if Japan will get better print materials.

Yeah, agreed. I wish they would get away from the OSX 10.1 wallpaper swoosh branding.

Omni

It's a smart move by Sony to release the PS Eye Camera early along with the Dualshock 4. It'll peak folks interest enough to buy it.

It won't. If they were serious about the camera they'd have released it with the console. Thing will be completely underused throughout the gen.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
It won't. If they were serious about the camera they'd have released it with the console. Thing will be completely underused throughout the gen.

There will be a dancing game, and a exercise/yoga game. That's about 90% of the desired use right there, and the people who want those things will buy it.

Sony sells a lot of small video cameras. I hate to use technical accounting terminology, but bear with me. The amount of cameras they sell on a quarterly basis is somewhere between what accountants and supply channel industry insiders call a "mega-buttload" and a "giga-shitload."

Not just for their own stuff either. All those iPhones and iPads? Sony cameras.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hmm, so no hard power switch on the camera itself.

Very disappointing, I don't want that thing turned on all the time. Which means I would have to pull the cable out every time, which will of course be at the back, in other words a huge pain in the arse.

Had been thinking of getting it for my daughter to use the playroom, but that's a big turn off... ha!

Do what I do with the pseye - just tuck it behind the TV when not in use

satam55

Banned

NOPE!!!! As soon as the price of the hardware in PS4 comes down enough, I expect Sony to ship every PS4 with the PS4 Eye Camera. Also folks that are serious about streaming their games on Twitch, The PS4 camera is must-have accessory.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Nice that Sony thought of that. Only comment would be that the default depth on the mount is quite deep - if you have a thin TV it might overhang at the back. But maybe the way it folds will still hold it in place

Edit: thanks for the photo kairu. Looks really good (for an ugly camera messing up the sleek lines of your TV..) any issues with the cable pulling the camera down, or is it pretty stable?

spwolf

Nice that Sony thought of that. Only comment would be that the default depth on the mount is quite deep - if you have a thin TV it might overhang at the back. But maybe the way it folds will still hold it in place

this is why bottom extension is same depth as front of camera, so depth does not matter at all.... it is just there to support thicker tv's.

in any case, i dont see why would anyone buy one right now as it only works on PS4... people are buying DS4 since they want to play it with PS3.

Too bad it is not normal USB.

The funny thing is the Xbox1 isn't capable of 3D Skype, but the PS4 is.

Um...what?

Even Skype thinks 3d calling is a decade away...currently you need MULTIPLE cameras (and no, the 2 on the ps eye aren't cutting it). You're talking 5-6 cameras and the hardware isn't even close to prime time.

Indeed, if 3d calling a la star trek voyager ever becomes feasible, it probably is going to use an entirely different tech that the standard camera setup..

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The camera looks really nice, but I don't think I'll ever actually buy one.

Any news about skype for PS4? I am afraid that MS will block it for the console.
Who knows if it would be on there, Skype never made it to the PS3.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
this is why bottom extension is same depth as front of camera, so depth does not matter at all.... it is just there to support thicker tv's.

in any case, i dont see why would anyone buy one right now as it only works on PS4... people are buying DS4 since they want to play it with PS3.

Too bad it is not normal USB.

Get it set up in advance and your cable routed - one less thing to arrange when your PS4 turns up.

wizzbang

Banned

Is that one of the Panasonic ST series? - I'll be using it on one of those - but I have my TV up high, probably need to angle it down 5' or so.

Anyone try it on PC yet?

That's going to require hacking up the cable unfortunately or building some kind of adapter

WOAH. The pivot on the end of the camera is bananas. That is some CRAZY PIVOT ACTION RIGHT THERE.

Seriously, it's pretty cool... seems to be some kind of v-shaped mechanism in there...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Is that one of the Panasonic ST series? - I'll be using it on one of those - but I have my TV up high, probably need to angle it down 5' or so.

That's going to require hacking up the cable unfortunately or building some kind of adapter

Ah, ok. Will pay a small amount to see it happen.

Top Bottom