• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The House in Fata Morgana |OT| Obsession. Sadism. Avarice. Zealotry. Death.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Getting closer to the better parts then. How you enjoying it so far?
Captivated.
Again, the twists in the first 3 doors seem a bit telegraphed, but it doesn't really detract from the experience. I'm onto the fifth door and eager to see where this all leads.

The music continues to be stellar. The vocals are haunting, yet soothing. I often find myself really getting comfortable with the setting before it gets wrenched out from under me. Very addicted to that feeling now, haha.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Captivated.
Again, the twists in the first 3 doors seem a bit telegraphed, but it doesn't really detract from the experience. I'm onto the fifth door and eager to see where this all leads.

The music continues to be stellar. The vocals are haunting, yet soothing. I often find myself really getting comfortable with the setting before it gets wrenched out from under me. Very addicted to that feeling now, haha.

Great to hear.
I think the telegraphed part of story 3 will click better later as more things happen ;)

The soundtrack I constantly have it on rotation and I think it might easily win OST of the year unless something else comes out later this year. Only thing Ive heard on the same caliber has been Bloodstained demo music and that is a 2017 title. I hope we get Another Episode for Halloween and listen to the new tracks that were made for that one. (They reuse music from here but still good from what I managed to check on Youtube)

Hope Novectacle gets more stuff localized here cause I love what they are doing tons.

Shizuka

Hope Novectacle gets more stuff localized here cause I love what they are doing tons.

There is already this:

DdyJoik.jpg

It'd be nice if you added that to the OP, as well.

Shizuka

Just finished the game and all its endings. Wow, this was a ride I was not expecting. This is surely one of the best visual novels I've ever played, never once becoming dull or uninteresting. I don't have a single complaint about it. When the credits ended, oh man! Chills down my spine! All in all, one of the best recommendations I've ever taken in this life.

Vazra

Just finished the game and all its endings. Wow, this was a ride I was not expecting. This is surely one of the best visual novels I've ever played, never once becoming dull or uninteresting. I don't have a single complaint about it. When the credits ended, oh man! Chills down my spine! All in all, one of the best recommendations I've ever taken in this life.
Now do the behind the scenes thing. Its funny and not too long really :p

Also there is a bit new bits of dialogue in the first 3-5 chapters if you replay it.

Shizuka

Now do the behind the scenes thing. Its funny and not too long really :p

Also there is a bit new bits of dialogue in the first 3-5 chapters if you replay it.

I'm replaying it for the achievement, but I just can't stand to play it all again for just a few new sentences. I'll go for the behind the scenes part next.

I can't believe that Aimee of all people
got off scott free in the end, at least the swordsman has the excuse of being a legit sociopath, that woman was just made of evil.

Vazra

I can't believe that Aimee of all people
got off scott free in the end, at least the swordsman has the excuse of being a legit sociopath, that woman was just made of evil.

I wanted her somehow to end up in the mansion suffering -_-

Vazra

That was a big oversight.

Besides the issue of Michel body going through puberty Aimee was the one that made things extremely shit for Michel. At the same time I think the point is no matter how good or bad you are things happen randomly to people.

Shizuka

Besides the issue of Michel body going through puberty Aimee was the one that made things extremely shit for Michel. At the same time I think the point is no matter how good or bad you are things happen randomly to people.

If the only people cursed in the mansion were the ones related to Morgana, I'd get it. I get it that Didier and Georges appeared to give the family some closure. Still, she was the true villain in Michel's story and if you ask me, she should've appeared suffering at some point.

Vazra

If the only people cursed in the mansion were the ones related to Morgana, I'd get it. I get it that Didier and Georges appeared to give the family some closure. Still, she was the true villain in Michel's story and if you ask me, she should've appeared suffering at some point.

Didier and Georges got connected with Michel because of Michel hoping to see them again most likely. Since Michel didn't wish harm on anyone when Morgana talked him into making his wish and Aimee didn't get dragged into the whole mess which in a way I think makes sense. Emotionally speaking as much as Michel hated Aimee he didnt bring himself to wish harm on her or anyone in the end.

The only hint that we get is when Georges tells us he died old in a chair or something along those lines when you see him in the painting and says he lived happily with Aimee. ( By the way that was clever for him to be a painting)

jonjonaug

Didier and Georges got connected with Michel because of Michel hoping to see them again most likely. Since Michel didn't wish harm on anyone when Morgana talked him into making his wish and Aimee didn't get dragged into the whole mess which in a way I think makes sense. Emotionally speaking as much as Michel hated Aimee he didnt bring himself to wish harm on her or anyone in the end.

The only hint that we get is when Georges tells us he died old in a chair or something along those lines when you see him in the painting and says he lived happily with Aimee. ( By the way that was clever for him to be a painting)

It was a combination of that and their own regret, I think. Michel doesn't want to see Aimee at all and she probably doesn't regret anything.

Vazra

It was a combination of that and their own regret, I think. Michel doesn't want to see Aimee at all and she probably doesn't regret anything.

Pretty much and the regret on Didier was the biggest one because he had to kill his own brother and there was nothing he could do about it. Aimee has no reasons to regret anything cause in the end she ended up getting goods from Michel family and had a good life out of the whole mess. People thought of her as a saint when she was the only one that went to feed Michel when she was just torturing him.

Shizuka

Pretty much and the regret on Didier was the biggest one because he had to kill his own brother and there was nothing he could do about it. Aimee has no reasons to regret anything cause in the end she ended up getting goods from Michel family and had a good life out of the whole mess. People thought of her as a saint when she was the only one that went to feed Michel when she was just torturing him.

Well, in a game where people who did bad things got cursed and suffered for an eternity, Aimee was the only one who got scot-free. Well, Aimee and Michel's dad.

Lucentto

Banned
I just bought this due to the good word I have reading. I just finished the first door and I am really enjoying it so far. Can't wait to continue reading it tonight.

Vazra

I just bought this due to the good word I have reading. I just finished the first door and I am really enjoying it so far. Can't wait to continue reading it tonight.

Nice to see new blood joining us. I hope you enjoy it and make sure to come here and post as you continue to progress :)

Well, in a game where people who did bad things got cursed and suffered for an eternity, Aimee was the only one who got scot-free. Well, Aimee and Michel's dad.
Aimee is not connected in anyway to the house and Michel not wishing harm on anyone basically let her get free from any damage. The characters that got dragged were involved with Morgana and the house in one way or the other. Morgana took Michel because of his tortured life and thinking she might have been able to get someone to curse the people who hurt her for eternity which was the plan with Giselle and Michel

As far as this spoilered discussion goes,
I'm glad Aimee didn't show up again. There wasn't a reason for her to be at the mansion and not everything needs to be conveniently wrapped up. It was already a stretch for the brothers to be there.

Vazra

I'm glad Aimee didn't show up again. There wasn't a reason for her to be at the mansion and not everything needs to be conveniently wrapped up. It was already a stretch for the brothers to be there.

Didier makes sense to be at the mansion afterall he went in to kill Michel there but Georges doesnt make much sense but they did talk that probably regret and Michel internally wishing to see them again brought them there. Aimee Georges could have easily said if she had a happy life or not or whatever but in the end Aimee function in the story was simply for that moment and didnt need to be brought up again unless Michel wanted revenge which he clearly didnt wanted. Still they wrote are really good villain that got people wishing the worst to her which I guess is a good thing to see people wanting more to happen to her haha

Shizuka

That's the thing, the brothers showing up at the end didn't make a lot of sense. For me, the game should've either dealt with the entire Bollinger issue at the end or just skipped them altogether.

That's the thing, the brothers showing up at the end didn't make a lot of sense. For me, the game should've either dealt with the entire Bollinger issue at the end or just skipped them altogether.

Didier showing at the end was the biggest oh shit moment in the game for me, came with the coolest graphic, dude went full on final boss. No way would I have wanted them skipped, when things were winding down the fate/truth of the brothers was a constant nagging in my head, with all that talk of perspective I wanted theirs dammnit.

The brothers make sense being there because as we know Michel(and Giselle) also had power in the mansion like Morgana, if he wished to see them again then the mansion would make it so.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Probably nearing the end? Hard to say more without spoiling anything. Read at your own peril.

I really liked the gender twist. It's the first hinted at, but expertly obfuscated twist in the game. (Would've totally cursed Aimee though.) I also really liked going into Morgana's childhood memories. And now I'm playing a time traveling adventure VN.

Two minor complaints so far. They keep drawing connections between the three men and their reconstructed counterparts, but Mell hardly seems like the same person. In the memory, Mell was this studious, obedient, "perfect" boy driven whose only flaw was pushing his sister away because of her obsession. In the past, Mell is clearly much more flawed; he has his own ulterior motives and his crimes are more heinous. Maybe this difference is reconciled, I'm still in the middle of his flashback in the past, so no spoilers please!

Secondly, the writing is starting to drag on me a bit. I understand from a MangaGamer blog post that the original Japanese game was very colloquial and used modern speech. I don't mind it for the most part, but it is jarring when Morgana has cursed and tortured everyone you loved and the best insult either you or Giselle can say is "jerk". I don't need cursing, but something a little more mature than middle school level vocabulary would have been appreciated.

All in all, whatever ends up happening from here on out, this is definitely the best pure VN I've played.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Just finished.

Fantastic. What a wonderful game. Visceral, emotional, compelling -- it hits all the notes and more. I dearly wish for more VNs like this in the future. It's opened a hole in my heart that will not be easily filled.

I know I've said it a lot in the this thread, but the soundtrack is incredible. There is no way I can listen to this and not break out into a teary smile.

Thanks for the thread, OP. I hope I'll be able to introduce this game to as many people as You have.

MilkBeard

I'm tempted to get this game now that it's on a (slight) discount on Steam. The praise here and on Steam reviews is high.

Garl

Neo Member
I know this sounds outrageous but I'm saying it anyways.

I enjoyed this far more than Virtue's Last Reward

I started reading this to pass the time while waiting for Zero Time Dilemma and wound up enjoying it way more than that game.

I'm pretty sure this is the best VN I've read.

Xenoflare

I started reading this to pass the time while waiting for Zero Time Dilemma and wound up enjoying it way more than that game.

I think it ultimately came down to expectations, VLR was weird because it was very hyped and that's why I got into it only to realize that it's an unexpected trip of nostalgia since it's from the same creator of Ever 17 and Remember 11 and I didn't know about that while playing, to the point where I thought
plagiarism was involved

I had no expectations for Fata Morgana and it completely blew me away. I stayed all night for this because I just cannot stop

Vazra

Just finished.

Fantastic. What a wonderful game. Visceral, emotional, compelling -- it hits all the notes and more. I dearly wish for more VNs like this in the future. It's opened a hole in my heart that will not be easily filled.

I know I've said it a lot in the this thread, but the soundtrack is incredible. There is no way I can listen to this and not break out into a teary smile.

Thanks for the thread, OP. I hope I'll be able to introduce this game to as many people as You have.
You're welcome and I hope the game manages to get more attention because it deserves it. Also hope you enjoy the backstage part of the game since that is quite funny and informative about the development at times.
I'm tempted to get this game now that it's on a (slight) discount on Steam. The praise here and on Steam reviews is high.
From what I gather Mangagamer doesnt do big discounts so I think it might be okay to get it now. Then again it does need support and Im pretty sure you will enjoy it ;)
I know this sounds outrageous but I'm saying it anyways.

I enjoyed this far more than Virtue's Last Reward

Damn I gotta play VLR and Zero Time Dilemma eventually but goddamn O_O
I think it ultimately came down to expectations, VLR was weird because it was very hyped and that's why I got into it only to realize that it's an unexpected trip of nostalgia since it's from the same creator of Ever 17 and Remember 11 and I didn't know about that while playing, to the point where I thought
plagiarism was involved

I had no expectations for Fata Morgana and it completely blew me away. I stayed all night for this because I just cannot stop
I think I can agree with this in a way because VLR and Zero Time Dilemma are sequels set by the hype of 999 which itself can be hard to top. I've heard good things of both VLR and ZTD and I plan to get them eventually on Steam to see how they stack up.

Also make sure to keep an eye for The House in Fata Morgana - A Requiem For Innocence ;)

Swamped

Banned
Man, this game finally got released? I had no idea! I played the first two chapters as part of a demo and really enjoyed it. Quite creepy.

MilkBeard

Decided to buy it. $20 bucks isn't bad. So far, I'm pretty interested in the story. Even though it will obviously be different, the setting is giving me Wuthering Heights vibes.

Music is soothing and yet haunting at the same time. Also, the dialogue is pretty good for the most part. I like the sense of mystery and I always end up having to stop myself from playing after a few hours.

Enjoying it so far. This is actually my first visual novel game. If there are more at this quality then I can see myself enjoying the genre.

Vazra

Decided to buy it. $20 bucks isn't bad. So far, I'm pretty interested in the story. Even though it will obviously be different, the setting is giving me Wuthering Heights vibes.

Music is soothing and yet haunting at the same time. Also, the dialogue is pretty good for the most part. I like the sense of mystery and I always end up having to stop myself from playing after a few hours.

Enjoying it so far. This is actually my first visual novel game. If there are more at this quality then I can see myself enjoying the genre.

Different and all I will recommend you Umineko When They Cry (Question Arc) it should be pretty enjoyable :p

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
So should I be excited for Requiem for Innocence?

From what I saw of the trailer,
it's a full retelling of Morgana's childhood. I'm not terribly interested in that because that story has already been explored. I saw there were a few new characters, but how does it compare to the original game?

Vazra

So should I be excited for Requiem for Innocence?

From what I saw of the trailer,
it's a full retelling of Morgana's childhood. I'm not terribly interested in that because that story has already been explored. I saw there were a few new characters, but how does it compare to the original game?

From what
I gather it fleshes out more things of Morgana and Jacopo's relationship and Maria. (Maria apparently here gets more fleshed out and make it easier to get her character and maybe even like her after seeing things here)
There is also 3 side stories with new characters and some others returning.
(One of the short stories was actually the first story that was meant to be used in Fata Morgana so it should be interesting to watch)
There is also new music in the game with some bits reused from the original. It should be cheaper than the first game I think so it might be an easy read. Something along the lines of 7-10 hours depending the reading speed.

Here is one of the songs which has English lyrics

I wonder if after Requiem of Innocence we will get Seventh Coat and Mujou no Erasmus - The Erasmus two-faced stories >.>

Guess this will be my go to game after finishing Zero Time Dilemma seeing all of those positive impressions in here. Great they're bringing over the second game as well. Anyone know who it is that made this (writer and artist especially)? They made any other games?

Vazra

Guess this will be my go to game after finishing Zero Time Dilemma seeing all of those positive impressions in here. Great they're bringing over the second game as well. Anyone know who it is that made this (writer and artist especially)? They made any other games?

Moyataro does the art and Keika Hanada writes the VN scenarios

aravuus

Was gonna take a short break after ZTD, but fuck it, just started. Even Root Double's gonna have to wait.

I have absolutely, positively no idea what to expect. Looks like it has dialogue choices though, are there bad ends or anything like that? I usually just tend to skip all that.

Top Bottom