• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 PC performance thread

Blizzard

Banned
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought the number of games that get better performance with DX11 compared to DX9 (with or without enhanced features) is EXCEEDINGLY small. In fact, Metro 2033 is the only game I can remember where I've been told that DX11 performs better than DX9.

x3sphere

Just started playing, getting 35-40FPS on my 7970 at 2560x1600, DX11 with everything maxed.

I don't know if it will get a lot more demanding later on, but that's in line with other games of late.

Eideka

Banned
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought the number of games that get better performance with DX11 compared to DX9 (with or without enhanced features) is EXCEEDINGLY small. In fact, Metro 2033 is the only game I can remember where I've been told that DX11 performs better than DX9.

Which isn't what I experienced. Far from it in fact, the DX11 mode looks better but the performance hit is severe.

Just started playing, getting 35-40FPS on my 7970 at 2560x1600, DX11 with everything maxed.

I don't know if it will get a lot more demanding later on, but that's in line with other games of late.

Damn I will probably have to dial down AA and SSAO for 5760 * 1200 on my 7970, thanks for reporting.

Thank God the game support game pads, it makes sub 60 FPS more bearable.

Well either way that's brilliant, I just installed my copy, logged in to Uplay updated to 1.01, started the game and as soon as I get past the Ubisoft Logo I get a "Far Cry 3 stopped working" =_= I will update Catalyst and see if it makes a difference...

x3sphere

Damn I will probably have to dial down AA and SSAO for 5760 * 1200 on my 7970, thanks for reporting.

Thank God the game support game pads, it makes sub 60 FPS more bearable.

With AA it takes a huge hit, just tried 2x and it dropped my frames to 25-30. Going to have to leave it off :\

Peterthumpa

So i tested DX9 again and i got about 5 more fps with the new drivers :O So in DX9 mode i avg ~75 fps.

Could you check if AO is appliable using DX9? I can't see AO in your screenshots (save for the air conditioner shot). Could you post a screenshot with more pronounced AO?

Eideka

Banned
And to think I bought me 670 with FC3 and Metro Last Light in mind :lol

You are going to run these games in all their glory. I mean, 50 fps isn't that bad, is it ?

And Last Light is not going to rip your GPU (and mine) apart. I trust A4 games to better optimized their game this time around. Do you know that the game runs fine on a GTX 580 ?
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29202892/4a-talks-multiplayer-metro-last-light-pc-specific-features
I guess with a few other games, it?s going to give you a glimpse of what happens when you have an insane amount of processing power and graphical power. It?s going to look better, it?s going to look a lot better. It?s going to look unbelievable. You know, I?d say what you saw today was, it wasn?t running on a latest-gen card. We have that running on a 580. We?ve not done a huge amount of optimization yet for the high-end stuff. That?s just how it?s looking at the moment. By the time we release, as we do with Metro 2033, we?re working really closely with the card manufacturers to make sure that when we ship, we will be stretching every ounce and feature of what they make available to us.

DX11 + Physx is going to be quite demanding but I will be stunned if I can't max it out at 30fps.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Okey tested DX11 now and i cant se much diffrence, but the fps is much lower.

comparison pics:
DX9

DX11

DX9

DX11

Thanks, DX9 for me then, I can barely see a difference in those shots, I don't see what the big deal is for DX11 unless I'm missing something.

Those with lower spec PC's I'd really recommend using a controller over a mouse and keyboard, it feels much better playing a 30fps game with a controller than a mouse, imo anyway.

Does this game have good motion blur tech?

x3sphere

I can't find a way to disable the hint / objective shit that pops up on screen. It's seriously annoying, takes up like half the screen when multiple boxes pop up. Ruins the immersion for me.

Nothing in options, looked in the config file itself but didn't see anything there either.

If anyone figures out how to disable it do tell...

Alright I fixed my crash by going into the games configuration-file and disabling DX11 :D The game started fine in DX9 mode and once I set DX11 again from the options menu it worked so if anyone gets a crash after the Ubisoft logo I hope this helps!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The uncertainty of this game's performance has made buying this on day one an uncertainty I had hoped to avoid. The frustrating thing is missing out on preorder bonuses that become overpriced DLC after release.

DangerStepp

I like the fact there are actual graphical options to tweak in the menu instead of dumbing it down.

Less .ini files to screw with.

spirity

Looks like I'm gonna have to be tweaking the options then. Been a while since I did that, my 560ti was getting complacent.

Castcoder

Banned
The uncertainty of this game's performance has made buying this on day one an uncertainty I had hoped to avoid. The frustrating thing is missing out on preorder bonuses that become overpriced DLC after release.
But most are basing this on Ultra settings. You can still play it with lower specs and still enjoy the GAME.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
The new PC destroyer?

We need Sethos and Dennis on this

Prototype 2 is a pc destroyer as well. Guess what I'm trying to say is that just because it runs like shite doesn't mean it's worthy of that moniker imo.

Definitely sounds like there's some way to go in optimization.

However, if Ubi don't do much on that front, DX9 would be a good compromise over DX11 if it really boosts framerates, since I can live with the differences.

Maybe I should upgrade my 4870 to a 660ti though at some point? Looking at the Nvidia charts, I'd be laughing since I'm running a 1680x1050 res currently. Though my Q6600 might need oc'ing to make the most of it!

Definity

Been playing for a few mins.

gtx570
8gb ram
i5 stock

dx11
x2 AA
1080p

Very high settings are showing about 35 fps for me. Ultra dips me down to 30. I'm just now in the very first mission.

thabiz

This is depressing news. I've said this before, but dev's need to stop slapping DX11 on top of console ports. It never works out and performance suffers greatly.

Eideka

Banned
The Alpha beta (on day one), brought my PC to its knees. After they updated it, I could play it on medium-high settings (1920x1080/60fps) with DX11 features.

The alpha is not optimized by definition so I don't see anything wrong with it bringing any PC to its knees.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
This is depressing news. I've said this before, but dev's need to stop slapping DX11 on top of console ports. It never works out and performance suffers greatly.

Why is it depressing? Turn that shit off.

Peterthumpa

Been playing for a few mins.

gtx570
8gb ram
i5 stock

dx11
x2 AA
1080p

Very high settings are showing about 35 fps for me. Ultra dips me down to 30. I'm just now in the very first mission.

This is interesting. At 1600x900 and with SMAA, I think that 60 FPS should be achievable with Ultra settings and DX11 on GTX 580+ cards.

Top Bottom