• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros for 3DS: New Characters Video LEAKED! (SPOILERS)

The worst cut IMO is Pokemon Trainer. That shit stings. It was such a fun character, and such a great rep for the pokemon franchise. I'm also wary of how Olimar is going to play with only 3 pikmin. After that, Lucas hurts the most, but Ness was always more fun to play as anyway.

I agree. It perfectly represented what Pokemon is all about; switching out your Pokemon when it grows weak and for a better advantage based on your current situation. But oh well. Guess Charizard was popular enough to stand on its own. Squirtle was far superior. >.>

Kitoro

I agree. It perfectly represented what Pokemon is all about; switching out your Pokemon when it grows weak and for a better advantage based on your current situation. But oh well. Guess Charizard was popular enough to stand on its own. Squirtle was far superior. >.>

I believe the real reason transforming characters were cut were to accommodate 3DS hardware limitations.

Mariolee

I'm really feeling it!

034.jpg

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I have always been a Ganondorf user and use him quite well, but he does deserve to be his own character and not a cheapass knockoff of Captain Falcon. Tecmo Koei at this point has done Ganondorf more justice.

The thing about ganondorf is that Sakurai has said in the past that is a dorf user

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

That's actually a pretty stupid concept. That and "type advantage doing more/less damage on them".

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Pokemon Trainer is much cooler in concept than just Charizard, but he was cumbersome to use and Charizard was easily the most useful part of his moveset. I'm a Squirtle fan myself, but I think nixing the other two (and the trainer) for the Zard was a good idea.

Pokemon Trainer is much cooler in concept than just Charizard, but he was cumbersome to use and Charizard was easily the most useful part of his moveset. I'm a Squirtle fan myself, but I think nixing the other two (and the trainer) for the Zard was a good idea.

I miss Squirtle. My favorite pokemon taken away from me. ;_;

Monocle

I have always been a Ganondorf user and use him quite well, but he does deserve to be his own character and not a cheapass knockoff of Captain Falcon. Tecmo Koei at this point has done Ganondorf more justice.
Yeah, it's time for him to get a proper move set that includes his sword.

Tuck

The worst cut IMO is Pokemon Trainer. That shit stings. It was such a fun character, and such a great rep for the pokemon franchise. I'm also wary of how Olimar is going to play with only 3 pikmin. After that, Lucas hurts the most, but Ness was always more fun to play as anyway.
Wouldn't have minded had they kept the other two in, but yeah I agree.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
They made Bowser less worse! I hated him in Melee and Brawl because he was so slow and clunky, but he looks a lot better based on those gifs.

SegaShack

My issues with the roster are:

Too many returning characters - Early on in development Iwata talked about them wanting to have a smaller roster of more unique characters, and that characters would be cut from the past games. I took this to mean he would cut a lot of characters, but this was not the case.

Too many clones - Link/Toon Link, Mario/Luigi, Ganon/Captain Falcon, Fox/Falco, Pit/Dark Pit, why?

Why so many Fire Emblem Characters? Why are there 4 characters from this series?

Too many Swordsmen: Link, Toon Link, Marth, Ike, Lucina, Robin, Shulk, Mii FIghter Sword. That's 8 characters out of the roster that all use swords.

Too many joke characters - We already have ROB and Game and Watch. Did we really need Duck Hunt Dog, Wii Fit Trainer, and Rhthym Heaven chorus? I am totally down for one or two joke characters, but this is too much.

I was really hoping they would go a small number of characters this time and perfect everyone. Too many characters feel useless in Brawl and are boring to play as. I would much rather have them cut all the clones (as they are unnecessary) and just have one fighter of that type and perfect them.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Too many returning characters? The hell?

Also ROB, Game&Watch and WFT are not joke characters. They are just thinking outside the box characters.

rekameohs

Banned
Too many returning characters - Early on in development Iwata talked about them wanting to have a smaller roster of more unique characters, and that characters would be cut from the past games. I took this to mean he would cut a lot of characters, but this was not the case.

I'm pretty interested on learning how in the world you came to this conclusion.

roknin

Too many clones - Link/Toon Link, Mario/Luigi, Ganon/Captain Falcon, Fox/Falco, Pit/Dark Pit, why?

Why so many Fire Emblem Characters? Why are there 4 characters from this series?

Too many Swordsmen: Link, Toon Link, Marth, Ike, Lucina, Robin, Shulk, Mii FIghter Sword. That's 8 characters out of the roster that all use swords.

Too many joke characters - We already have ROB and Game and Watch. Did we really need Duck Hunt Dog, Wii Fit Trainer, and Rhthym Heaven chorus? I am totally down for one or two joke characters, but this is too much.

I was really hoping they would go a small number of characters this time and perfect everyone. Too many characters feel useless in Brawl and are boring to play as. I would much rather have them cut all the clones (as they are unnecessary) and just have one fighter of that type and perfect them.

Like, I couldn't disagree with you more if I was forced to at gunpoint.

Why is returning characters a bad thing, at all? Perhaps while that was his original intent, they were able to get in more of the originals than planned. And even the, according to leaks IC's aren't returning (unless DLC proves legit) so he's still fairly accurate there.

Personally getting annoyed with the "too many swordsmen" argument as well, but to be fair there, I'm biased towards sword users anyways. :p

Luigi is barely a clone and has been there since day 1, and... He and Mario have played a like in just about every thing they've ever been in, save a few minor differences. They're more different in Smash tan they are in most of their canon games.

Though personally, I really don't give a damn about clone characters, as that's usually the best and quickest way to give players more options on the roster in a fighting game, or any game really.

And hey, it gave me Lucina to play as so I'm good.

"Too many characters feel useless in Brawl" isn't because of the amount of characters that are "useless", as much as it is about the top characters being in a class of their own. It is plenty possible to have a large roster where characters at the top and bottom don't feel separated by a gulf.

And even then, Brawl's varied cast is why I enjoyed i so much despite that tripping nonsense, personally.

Richie

When you put it that way...
...the argument really looks even more ridiculous. 8 characters out of approximately 50 have a sword in their moveset. Super Sword Bros, am I right? Come on.
How many characters use their bare hands, again?
The way people complain about swordsmen, someone who didn't know better would think that they're all clones of the same moveset.

Son Of D

Too many returning characters? The hell?

Also ROB, Game&Watch and WFT are not joke characters. They are just thinking outside the box characters.

I'm pretty interested on learning how in the world you came to this conclusion.

By the sound of it he wants this to be more like Street Fighter 3 which only had Ryu and Ken as returning characters (Chun-Li and Akuma were later added in re-releases). It wasn't even that popular with casuals and sold quite poorly (hasn't even hit 1 mllion whereas SF2 did over 6 million). Sure it was popular with the competitive crowd but it didn't have the casual crowd behind it.

When you put it that way...
...the argument really looks even more ridiculous. 8 characters out of approximately 50 have a sword in their moveset. Super Sword Bros, am I right? Come on.
How many characters use their bare hands, again?
The way people complain about swordsmen, someone who didn't know better would think that they're all clones of the same moveset.

Exactly. 8 out of 51 isn't even 20%. I'm willing to guess that over 50% of the roster doesn't use a weapon and is a brawler.

Mr. Game & Watch is a joke character? You should include Pacman then. Also, the percentage of sword users is about the same as in Brawl.

Holy shit you are so wrong.
And its ironic you say there are too many joke sword users and then saying there are too many joke characters when those are the interesting method of not doing a sword user. Why is MrG&W a joke character, and not PacMan? or Megaman? What stupid difference are you creating to divide this type of characters? It's a mascot brawler, there are NO joke characters.

And wow at too many returning characters. What a horrible opinion to have
also lol at him saying iwata

See below

I agree, but it still makes sense why Sakurai could've possibly done this. Time constraints, and creating characters from scratch is probably harder than we think. This won't be the end of clones though, it'll happen again in the next smash.

Probably because the last one sold very well? Fire Emblem is becoming a well known series and the characters are very likeable. I'm going to assume you haven't played many games in the series.

Well, the roster's bigger. You counted 8 out of what, possibly 48 characters? That's more of a minority than you think.

Before you go straight into trashing DHD. Give him a chance at least. We haven't even seen his official reveal yet. I was one of those people who didn't like the character when he was leaked but I wouldn't mind seeing what he's about. Look at how people thought Shulk was a stupid idea at first due to the leak, but opinions started to change when his trailer and descriptions were out.

The game's not out yet so i'd say before you critique how the characters even play, at least try them out for yourself. It's a bit of an unfair judgement.

Giving some thoughts on your opinion.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Source please? I don't even recalled that information. Are you sure that you are not pulling it out of no where. Mainly Iwata don't make decision on "who will be in or not" for Smash Bros since Sakurai is the one who made the decision. Even Miyamoto humbly asked Sakurai to included Pac Man.

Falco, Luigi and Ganondorf are not 1:1 clones anymore due to Brawl. I think you meant Mario/Dr.Mario being clone rather than Mario/Luigi. We don't have any idea what's up with Dark Pit, Dr. Mario and Lucina yet so it might be better if we decide to wait to see what's up with those characters once the game is out in public.

Because Fire Emblem is quite important to Nintendo's brands. It has been around with Nintendo ever since Famicom, and one of most deserving franchise to get more characters since they have a lot of versatile characters that can be playable in Smash.

How dare Sakurai have 8 swordsmen in our smash game!? Notice: It's satire. I suggest you to take a time to look at the roster. ONLY 8 swordsmen in 51 characters roster. Is it really that many?

Once again, making a judgement with characters before seeing any video. If you really want to know who is the real joke character. I'm pretty sure that Jigglypuff is there as joke character. I meant Jigglypuff is Dan of Smash.

Duck Hunt, Mr. Game and Watch and R.O.B have been proven important part of Nintendo history. R.O.B and Light Gun (Duck Hunt) actually helped NES to able to sell at the stores.

I'm going to warn you with one thing, if we are getting Next Gen Smash then I am going to tell you that we are getting a character that would represent GameBoy or Super Scope because they are next two important hardware additions as well.

I welcome more characters since it would give people better chance of finding their own characters. I'm sorry that you found them boring but many people and I found clones fun to play with.

Top Bottom