• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

I'm watching a video of the mysterious figure boss in BBS; they're playing Aqua, but all they do is dodge roll around the area. Is that all you can do in that fight?

If I'm not wrong, Aqua's cartwheel is nearly invincible, so for a heavy attack spammer like Mysterious Figure, the cartwheel is a must

Kingdom Hearts χ[chi] and Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ
Kingdom Hearts χ Back Cover runs concurrently with events of Kingdom Hearts χ.
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Blank Points begins
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days begins during events at the end of Kingdom Hearts.
Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep -A fragmentary passage-'s primary story runs concurrently with the events of Kingdom Hearts.
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days runs concurrently with events of Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories.
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days ends
Kingdom Hearts II
Kingdom Hearts coded
Signs of What's Next
Destiny
Blank Points ends
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
Another Guardian of Light
Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep -a fragmentary passage- (Beginning and Ending scenes)
Kingdom Hearts III

-----

Kingdom-Hearts-III_2017_02-18-17_001.jpg

----

Seth%20Tweet%20Feb%2016.png

Malyse, you da real MVP for putting that list together.

Is that a new image? Never seen it before, but that heartless looks amazing D:

Also, who's the man behind the tweets?

Tsunamo

I'm watching a video of the mysterious figure boss in BBS; they're playing Aqua, but all they do is dodge roll around the area. Is that all you can do in that fight?
It's a horribly designed fight, the Osaka teams worst i'd argue. (well except maybe that DDD bossrush one in traverse town in a small room)

Aqua's probably the easiest to deal with him. Ven's about the same.

Terra is terrible because the bossfight isn't even designed for him to be able to attempt it, yet it's required to be 100%'d so instead of dodging a ton you instead have to spam the crap out of heals and prey you don't die.

Vanitas Sentiment and No Heart are pretty fun though for me.

Zaverious

Mysterious Figure, Vanitas Remnant, and Armor of Eraqus are so unfun. No Heart was actually a challenging yet fair boss fight that didn't boil down to relying on surges and mines all the time. Ended up beating him with Ventus on my first try.

Speaking of BBS I still need to do the platinum. I've been doing it slowly but doing all the arena stuff 2 more times and fighting the superbosses with Terra is a drag. Getting all the finishers for Aqua and Terra is too grindy. At least they didn't put a level 99 trophy in this game.

If I'm not wrong, Aqua's cartwheel is nearly invincible, so for a heavy attack spammer like Mysterious Figure, the cartwheel is a must

not "nearly invincible", just "invincible"

Aqua fully leveled up cartwheel and Ven Fully Leveled up roll have no start up or cool down

just i frames all day

It's a horribly designed fight, the Osaka teams worst i'd argue. (well except maybe that DDD bossrush one in traverse town in a small room)

Aqua's probably the easiest to deal with him. Ven's about the same.

Terra is terrible because the bossfight isn't even designed for him to be able to attempt it, yet it's required to be 100%'d so instead of dodging a ton you instead have to spam the crap out of heals and prey you don't die.

Vanitas Sentiment and No Heart are pretty fun though for me.

Wow, it sure sounds like a shit boss fight. What a letdown compared to 2's.

Tsunamo

Wow, it sure sounds like a shit boss fight. What a letdown compared to 2's.
Yeah it's a real shame. Mirror Aqua in 0.2 shows the Osaka team's getting better with secret bossfights though.
Is that for a KH cartoon or something?
Long story short years ago Seth Kearsley pitched a Kingdom Hearts cartoon at Disney, released a couple of storyboard drawings from it (it never got past the pilot ep in prodution afaik for some reason or another though so the show was never made), eventually after seeing that people got really interested and he said he'd talk to folks at Disney about whether he could get permission to release the pilot on the internet.

This has now evolved into talks of trying to re-pitch or revive a Kingdom Hearts cartoon pitch with his contacts at Disney. It'll be really fantastic if he does endup getting it greenlighted. He has a couple of studios in mind for who could do the animation too. We'll see whether it endsup amounting to anything though.

Psxphile

I've always wanted to see animation that mimicked some of the early concept sketches Nomura made of the KH main cast, where he was hewing more closely to the Disney style rather than the anime style that all his FF artwork resembles.

DKHF

I would be equally open to the anime-type art style for the show but that art style in the post above is awesome. I wouldn't mind it being like that if it happens.

zeemumu

Those sketches are awesome.

I know that Square Enix had to choose a middle ground because you can't have Bahamut rise from the flames in a big elaborate cutscene then have Goofy standing there like "Gawrsh". Sephiroth's intro in the Platinum Cup is about as close as we'll get to that.

botty

Banned
This has now evolved into talks of trying to re-pitch or revive a Kingdom Hearts cartoon pitch with his contacts at Disney. It'll be really fantastic if he does endup getting it greenlighted. He has a couple of studios in mind for who could do the animation too. We'll see whether it endsup amounting to anything though.

I hope this happens and I hope Disney takes complete control of how the story gets interpreted and delivered. Whoever has been steering the Kingdom Hearts boat after Dream Drop Distance is doing the series no favors.

Malyse

Is there anything in BBS that legitimately spoils KH2?

I'm wondering if the better play order might not be
KH
Chain
Birth
Days
Coded
Dream
Unchained

That way you don't know Xehanort is as evil
outside of Nimoy hamming out
, which in turn forgives Terra some of his incompetence.

KH
Chain
Birth
Days
Coded
Dream
Unchained

I'm actually going to play it by timeline when the collection releases I might even put days before 2 even tho I've been against it for years. I already know the story so it'll be fun

zeemumu

KH
Chain
Birth
Days
Coded
Dream
Unchained

Spoils the whole Xehanort apprentice reveal and that Ansem SOD isn't Ansem.

My suggested play order would be

KH
CoM
Birth
Days
Coded
Dream
Unchained/Chi/Back Cover

CoM is the necessary bridge between 1 and 2, Birth gives some setup for Xigbar in Days, Days fills in the blanks left by 2, and Coded continues the story by bridging 2 to Dream.

Azuran

Banned
Seeing Ventus before Roxas sounds sort of like a recipe for confusion to me.

Yup.

Ventus and BBS is supposed to answer or expand on stuff that happens in 358/2 Days. Playing it first makes no sense. Xigbar doesn't need setup considering he doesn't do much in the first two games he appears in. All you need to know is that Xemnas sees high in a higher regard because he's always present when they're discussing important plans and he seems to know stuff.

Famassu

Other than Days being something that one could play either before or after KHII, release order is pretty much the way to go. On one hand, experiencing Roxas' story & more of Org XIII in Days probably gives his part and the whole Organization in KHII a bit more weight, on one hand Days does "spoil" a few things from KHII, so pick your poison between

"who is this fucking guy and can we be over these lame-ass minigames, who cares about these people in black coats and, oh, here's a couple of SHOCKING TWISTS"

and

"this isn't quite the SHOCKING TWIST since I already played Days, but at least I maybe cared for this one dude a bit more and the Org XIII members I can actually remember better now"

zeemumu

A lot of Xigbar's stuff in Days falls a little flat if you don't know who Ventus is. That's my reasoning anyway.

Why does the master of masters have so much better voice acting than everyone else? Is it because he doesn't have to match mouth flaps?

A lot of Xigbar's stuff in Days falls a little flat if you don't know who Ventus is. That's my reasoning anyway.

I mean, if you're always supposed to have every question already answered before you're even supposed to wonder about it, you might as well just start with DDD.

Sora_N

I finished Days, I liked it. Too many missions and samey stuff though.

I only finished KH1 other than Days, but I need to dig into Zelda for a while before I play my next KH game.

I actually need to play Re:CoM anyways.

iosefe

Kingdom Hearts HD II.8 Final Chapter Prologue is a fucking stupid name.
Like aggressively so.

it is the prologue to the final chapter. it's after 2, but not quite 3, and leads directly in

-or-

it's the final chapter of the prologue to the series, as in the final chapter of Birth By Sleep

zeemumu

KH desperately needs a RE7.

"Welcome to the darkness, son."

There aren't enough poor installments to warrant an overhaul of the series. What are the bad ones? CoM, 358/2 Days, Coded, and maybe DDD (but not really). Even though those are bad, it's mostly due to tedium (and CoM not translating well to 3D due to multitasking) and there's no real departure from the original formula.

Meanwhile, in between 5 and 7, RE had stuff like RE6, Operation Raccoon City, and Umbrella Corps, which are insane drops in quality from 2 and 4 and all have wildly different gameplay styles, which jumbles up the identity of the series a bit.

it is the prologue to the final chapter. it's after 2, but not quite 3, and leads directly in

-or-

it's the final chapter of the prologue to the series, as in the final chapter of Birth By Sleep

I've always been mindfucked by this because I believed that it was the Prologue of the Final Chapter, but then Yasue said in an E3 interview that it was "the final chapter of the prologue".

As for the title, I honestly like it, it's funny. KH games always had KH titles.

Malyse

-or-

That there's an explanation doesn't absolve the stupidity of the name. That there's two viable explanations only emphasizes my point.
KH desperately needs a RE7.
That's KH4. Once Dark Seeker is wrapped they can drop a ton of the tertiary stuff.

There aren't enough poor installments to warrant an overhaul of the series. What are the bad ones? CoM, 358/2 Days, Coded, and maybe DDD (but not really). Even though those are bad, it's mostly due to tedium (and CoM not translating well to 3D due to multitasking) and there's no real departure from the original formula.

Meanwhile, in between 5 and 7, RE had stuff like RE6, Operation Raccoon City, and Umbrella Corps, which are insane drops in quality from 2 and 4 and all have wildly different gameplay styles, which jumbles up the identity of the series a bit.

Yeah, this. With the exception of maybe Re:CoM (and really only for the weird learning curve that game has) even the worst KH games are still pretty competent ARPGs at the end of the day.

OG Coded (Not the remake) is probably the worst game in the series, tho

Malyse

Yeah, this. With the exception of maybe Re:CoM (and really only for the weird learning curve that game has) even the worst KH games are still pretty competent ARPGs at the end of the day.

OG Coded (Not the remake) is probably the worst game in the series, tho

He's saying that the plot needs a reboot. I've never in my life seen anything as dense as the lead in KH3. It's nigh impenetrable. I mean, they put out four "let's catch you up" collections. Four!

zeemumu

He's saying that the plot needs a reboot. I've never in my life seen anything as dense as the lead in KH3. It's nigh impenetrable. I mean, they put out four "let's catch you up" collections. Four!

RE7 didn't reboot the plot. I assumed that he meant that the series needed an overhaul, which is what RE7 was for that series. The plot was easy to follow but that game went through several failed phases before it returned to survival horror. RE7 is also the only game aside from RE1 where the title makes sense because none of the other games take place in a residence.

Azuran

Banned

The plot may get a reboot when KH4 comes along, but unless they use completely different characters and setting, that's not going to stop people asking "Why does Ventus looks like Roxas?"

The old mythos will still be there, they just won't matter in the grand scheme of things.

zeemumu

The plot may get a reboot when KH4 comes along, but unless they use completely different characters and setting, that's not going to stop people asking "Why does Ventus looks like Roxas?"

The old mythos will still be there, they just won't matter in the grand scheme of things.

What you want to do is jump so far into the future that those characters don't matter (Ventus and Roxas mean very little outside of Xehanort's plan anyway) or go to a part of the universe completely untouched by Xehanort: The Pixar galaxy

Malyse

No one save the Destiny Island trio and Mickey Donald Goofy need to return.

Top Bottom