• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Olly88

Such a great game. The plot is a bit hokey, but the music and the atmosphere! Ahhhhh.

So much fun to play too, even if combat is a bit wonky and alchemy is kinda grindy in practice. I've been looking for a decent shape box for my copy and you're right, anything in good shape costs way to much. It's really shot up in price even if though its not one of the greats on the system.
Yeah the music and atmosphere are one of the main reasons I wanted it to badly. I kept listening to some of the music on Youtube and every time it made me want it just a little bit more lol.

oh! congrats =)
i'm on the hunt for secret of mana atm
Thanks!

I got Secret of Mana just before I started wanting Evermore. I'm glad I got that one out of the way a few years ago as I can imagine it being pretty expensive these days?

I need to start playing SoM again, I only got up to
some tiger (I think?) boss
when I first played, and got destroyed.

shoutouts to that Jeremy Soule soundtrack
So good considering it was his first.

kingbean

I'm not really a collector, but I am gathering up a bunch of SNES games I want to play.
Not looking for best condition stuff, just carts that play. The collection so far is meager but I've got 4 more games coming in from ebay this week. Contra 3, Megaman x2 (jp), Final Fight 3, and Super Street Fighter 2.

npGzeZL.jpg

There is a nice set of tracks on Spotify for Secret of Evermore remastered. It doesn't include all the tracks, just most. It's quite well done.

The soundtrack itself remains pretty affordable to buy on CD as well. At least compared to most SquareSoft offerings.

My only complaint regarding the soundtrack is that the first world (Pre-historia) music is much more ambient than later levels. It's missing some of that Soule charm. Mostly crickets and such. However, Fire Eyes is used only in the presence of that character and remains a standout track. You'd just never hear it if you didn't stay in her hut.

shoutouts to that Jeremy Soule soundtrack

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I got Secret of Mana just before I started wanting Evermore. I'm glad I got that one out of the way a few years ago as I can imagine it being pretty expensive these days?

I need to start playing SoM again, I only got up to
some tiger (I think?) boss
when I first played, and got destroyed..

The first time I played the game, this was the place i stopped as well. There is no real strategy to it, just grind a bit.

Olly88

I started playing Secret of Evermore last night/this morning and got up to the first spider boss thing and didn't do very good. I just played it for about 45 minutes tonight, did a bit of grinding and beat him on my first try :D

Really enjoying the game so far.

Does anyone know of a switch that handles S-Video well? My current one which I've been using for composite before leaves S-Video checkered.

Also, since I have only two S-Video devices, could I use something like this with accompanying audio combiner cables?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231395370274

Unless they make something for the other end, SNES/N64/GC analog cables

Cheerilee

Does anyone know of a switch that handles S-Video well? My current one which I've been using for composite before leaves S-Video checkered.
I use a "Hip Gear system selector" which I found on a clearance rack ages ago, and it seems very nice. You can hook up five consoles with S-Video, and it has a switch bank on the front, and as a neat bonus it was made for videogaming so it has some removable name plates that you can attach above the buttons. It's neat to use a switch that gets that you want to use it for your N64, that you want to use it for your Dreamcast.

It's never given me any issues.

Also, since I have only two S-Video devices, could I use something like this with accompanying audio combiner cables?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231395370274

Unless they make something for the other end, SNES/N64/GC analog cables
When I first started moving over to S-Video, I found a "multi-system" S-Video cable. It hooks up to a TV with S-Video/stereo, but on the other end it had three different cables, Nintendo's proprietary connector, PlayStation's proprietary connector, and Xbox's proprietary connector. And it had enough cable length to connect all three at the same time.

All three cables worked (I tested them all individually), but any time two or more cables were hooked up to consoles, even consoles that were turned off, the S-Video picture completely crashed. The stereo audio was perfectly fine with being mixed together, but the S-Video picture said "Nope, I'm out".

RexRogers

Neo Member
Are you sure it's the cable/switch? Some motherboard revisions of the snes simply output a checkerboard video signal. Particularly the SNS-CPU-RGB model.

Olly88

This is a bit off-topic, I apologize in advance.
Someone sent byuu (author of bsnes/higan) a shipment of 100 PAL games from Germany to the USA so he could scan and help preserve them. However it's been 45 since they were sent and it still hasn't arrived.
He tried to contact USPS but he is being ignored. If someone could somehow draw attention to this, maybe by creating a new topic here (byuu has tried, but he is a junior so he has no privilege to do it), or by posting this on some news site, that would be great.
If this package turns out to be lost byuu will probably cease his preservation efforts and is going to pay back for those carts as he feels responsible (he is the one who asked for them).

If you are interested you can read more on his forum:
https://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1525

Update: They found them - https://byuu.org/emulation/preservation/found-package/

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
GW:ED isn't really poverty it's probably one of the best looking/playing fighters on the system.
It's a shame because Wings is such a bland series. G Gundam deserved much better than it got. Thankfully the BM/BA PSX series would be decent fighters with much better rosters.

Awesome scan Amy.

Thought that 8! Shakes fist in impotent anger. I should probably play the first to understand what's so derivative before I complain though.

8. Sniff.

Saroyan

Funny how 2 of those reviews call out the graphics being not so great as the only thing holding it back from being perfect. Going back to play it now I feel the LTTP graphics still look amazing and have aged better than the majority of the SNES library. It really pops in rgb on a good crt monitor.

Has this pre release SNES logo been discovered before? I was looking through an issue of Nintendo power and saw it.

It's ugly and looks placeholder but it was far enough along to screen print on an actual console.

hXSVV8x.jpg

g9SXfXR.jpg

dubc35

Posting these, just because, it's about to be an awesome day for Zelda fans :)
acQAVZy.jpg

I just noticed Tecmo Super Bowl in the lower right. Sports games don't get a ton of love but that's the GOAT of football games. I got it for Christmas in 1991; still have it.

edit, whoops thought this was NES thread.

Posting these, just because, it's about to be an awesome day for Zelda fans :)

12xGMTV.jpg

i have such bad memories bc i didn't have the map or guide it came with. i couldn't figure out the hook shot across an off screen. (i think peltz pointed out there's some arrows on the ground) never beat the game thanks to that.

i had better luck learning to hook the pulley in Ryger

i have such bad memories bc i didn't have the map or guide it came with. i couldn't figure out the hook shot across an off screen. (i think peltz pointed out there's some arrows on the ground) never beat the game thanks to that.

i had better luck learning to hook the pulley in Ryger

I would have had the same problem, but my aunt bought me the guide, which really helped a 9 year old beat that game. Still got stuck even with it. A prodigy I was not.

I replayed the game a year or two ago on my XRGB mini (1st game to test the whole setup) and I used the same guide, just for the memories.

Olly88

Surprisingly good game, yeah. One of the few hidden gems for the system that are still actually somewhat hidden.

Yeah it does seem pretty hidden, I've only ever really seen anything about it when specifically searching for it. Hopefully there are more out there for me to find some time.

IrishNinja

woof, that EGM zelda 3 coverage takes me back! didn't have an NES growing up, but looking at that for SNES made me cave. finally got one with mario world, LTTP & an early copy of SF II: WW, still a tough lineup to top!

Morfeo

Probably the last SNES game I'll buy for a month or so (until I get a Switch), but I'll be back...

Played the first level so far and it seems good!

Such a pristine looking copy! I nee to get on that game as well, actually one of the few I have left along with a few super-expensive ones.

Olly88

Such a pristine looking copy! I nee to get on that game as well, actually one of the few I have left along with a few super-expensive ones.
Yeah apart from the small bit of writing at the top it's in good shape!

What are some of the other games you want to get?

you've been on a tear with these snes pickups =)
Thanks :) I've been on a bit of a SNES mission over the last year or so to get some of the games I've been wanting a while. Luckily I've managed to get some good deals on a lot of them.

Still quite a lot that I want to get though!

SKINNER!

Banned
Currently visiting my parents this week and uncovered my fc3plus in a cupboard. Thought I'd give Super Mario RPG a go but heard that a lot of these snes clones can't play it. However, where there's a will there's a way! Blank screen when plugged in on its own but if you use a univeral adapter it works! Success!

Morfeo

Yeah apart from the small bit of writing at the top it's in good shape!

What are some of the other games you want to get?

I have most of the high-end ones that i want, but still need a few of the more expensive like Chrono Trigger (for years i tried to convince myself i was happy with owning this on ps1 and ds), Super Turrican 2, Knight of the Round and Batman & Robin to just name a few. Among cheaper stuff i need Ghoul Patrol i guess, but not much more i remember of the top of my head. I already have about 200 snes-games though.

NDPsycho

I have most of the high-end ones that i want, but still need a few of the more expensive like Chrono Trigger (for years i tried to convince myself i was happy with owning this on ps1 and ds), Super Turrican 2, Knight of the Round and Batman & Robin to just name a few. Among cheaper stuff i need Ghoul Patrol i guess, but not much more i remember of the top of my head. I already have about 200 snes-games though.

Cheaper and ghoul patrol don't quite go together, at least in NA.

Olly88

Ah, Ghoul Patrol. I had my eye on a copy of it a couple of weeks ago but it sold before I got round to it, which was a bit of a bummer.

Yeah I thought before I didn't need to get Chrono Trigger since I have the DS version, but I've started thinking that it'd be nice to have.

Morfeo

While I prefer to get ntsc-versions of most games, the pal-version of Ghoul Patrol is actually surprisingly affordable. I have a bid on a cart-only copy on a local side for $6 right now.

HahaOlly88, seems we are in the same both on that Chrono Trigger :)

Top Bottom