• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

gogosox82

Not a fan of this passive xp gain in Clash. Its like Arena with lanes now. You just fight and you don't really have to know to farm and you only get ahead from kills. Just revert it back to season 3 clash xp gain. And these towers and phoenixes are completely useless. Had an Izanami take both tower and phoenix in 10 minutes. Ridiculous.

Wait, so they reset MMR for casual in Season 4? This shit is unplayable lol.

They only reset ranked. Your just getting crappy mm. You'd think you'd be used to it by now.

Now that I don't enjoy Clash much anymore I'm jumping into Joust. Way more fun than I remember. Also ran into a Diamond Loki that built Ninja Tabi, Deathbringer and Hastened Fatalis. I know Diamond doesn't necessarily equate to skill but sheesh.

Not a fan of this passive xp gain in Clash. Its like Arena with lanes now. You just fight and you don't really have to know to farm and you only get ahead from kills. Just revert it back to season 3 clash xp gain. And these towers and phoenixes are completely useless. Had an Izanami take both tower and phoenix in 10 minutes. Ridiculous.

They only reset ranked. Your just getting crappy mm. You'd think you'd be used to it by now.

Agree on Clash. It was my favorite mode before the changes and now I just don't enjoy it at all. I guess Hi-Rez wanted to make it as mindless as Arena without really considering the people that enjoyed Clash in the first place.

And yeah, you're right, I should be used to it by now. Just seems like it's been worse than normal.

gogosox82

I think I'm going to try to get into duel this year. Always wanted to try it but just never did. I'm kind of tired of relying on teammates to actually play the game correctly. At least if I lose, I know that its on me and not because someone decided to troll or just doesn't know how to play.

Navid

I think I'm going to try to get into duel this year. Always wanted to try it but just never did. I'm kind of tired of relying on teammates to actually play the game correctly. At least if I lose, I know that its on me and not because someone decided to troll or just doesn't know how to play.
I'm not a big fan of Duel simply due to how big a factor character selection plays in that mode is, would love a Duel mode were both players would be given the same randomly selected character and have mirror match duel.

Also with Season 4 being here across all platforms with a bunch of new/changed items I figured I'd share my custom builds in case anyone new wants to have look (and maybe encourage others to share theirs):

Hunters (Auto Attack and Ability Based): Not too much of a difference between the two you can also go with a mix of Transcendence start into Crit with Wind Demon/Death Bringer on characters like Cupid/Chiron. I'll also go for Fatalis in place of a Crit item on certain gods who can be less mobile (Ah Muzen Cab/Artemis).
y0jqnvC.png
xhgCSyh.png

Warriors (Auto Attack and Ability Based): Gladiator's Shield into Frostbound seems like a nice way to start auto attack Warriors to me right now as you get some nice cheap power/cooldown/health/defence as well as the ability to stick to a character. For Ability based characters I'm currently going more tanky and getting the cooldown as you generally want to get in, use all your abilities and try to get out.

Guardian (Ares, Damage Focused, Support Focused and ones with Heals): Ares now has quite a few more Aura items to build and I feel Sovereignty/Heartward Amulet are still essential, just a difference of when yo build them depending on the type of Guardian, I like to go into some defense/pen items early on Guardians that have good damage output.

Mages (Standard, Slow Required, Healing, Auto Attack and Tanky): Mages have a ton of options but feel like I've done a ok job of adding enough items from different trees so that I can access most of the stuff should the need arise... I still like the Dynasty Plate Helm for early damage/protection along with a stacking item (Book of Toth/Warlock Sash depending on if you want damage/health) on most standard mages. On Mages that work well with slows Gem of Isolation is a great item that provides a mix of health and damage, and similarly for mages with a heal Rod of Asclepius does a similar all in one job. The Emerald Ring tree is really good for auto attack based characters and Ethereal Staff/Spear of Desolation are now much more potent items overall and can fit into many late game situations.

Assassins are the class that I'm currently trying to wrap my mind around in terms of builds, as they can be quite diverse, you go from your more standard pen/protection characters (like Thor/Bastet/Susano) to Guys that can be built with power, attack speed, crit and so on...

gogosox82

Well I think I already have builds now for all hunters and warriors. I think I'm going to try some guardians now but I have an idea in my head just need to see if it works.

I'm not a big fan of Duel simply due to how big a factor character selection plays in that mode is, would love a Duel mode were both players would be given the same randomly selected character and have mirror match duel.

Well because its ranked everyone just goes tryhard which sucks but the few times I played with gods that aren't good in duel I had some fun. I will say if they are going to have ranked duel then they need to give you like 10 bans because that's how many gods you need to ban out if you just want to have fun and not go tryhard. They should just add casual back but I think they replaced it with clash and clash is popular and casual duel wasn't.

gogosox82

So there's thread on reddit about the passive xp gain in clash. A dev posted in the thread that they are looking at it and we can expect changes either 4.3 or 4.4. Here's hoping they just change it back to season 3 xp gain. I really love what the art team did with the map. They just need to fix xp gain and make the towers and phoenixes stronger.

Nice to see they're looking at Clash changes, hopefully they can get back to a state where it's as enjoyable as season 3 Clash. I still don't really like the new design though. Graphically it's beautiful of course but the new jungle is terrible in my opinion and the lanes feel a bit claustrophobic because of it.

gogosox82

So for Hunters you should be building Poison Star and Wind Demon on every hunter. Ability or AA it doesn't matter. Poison Star and Wind Demon are that good. Its like Golden Bow from last year. Its too good not to get. Even on ability hunters like Neith or Skadi the passive from both items basically gives you the passives from frostbound hammer (enemies are slowed by 20%) and fatalis (the aa penalty is removed from you) with crits. And with poison star your enemies do less damage when you crit so they can't fight you if you crit them. Again, its too strong not to get. To me getting fatalis is overkill after getting those two so I'd rather get some lifesteal and go from there.

If your an aa hunter, Build should probably be Warrior Tabi/Ninja Tabi> Poison Star> Wind Demon>Asi>Deathbringer>Titans Bane. Warrior Tabi and Ninja Tabi are personal preference. There's really not that much difference between the two. I would probably get Ninja because it has the mana on it which is helpful early and it has attack speed. I wouldn't get them on Artemis tho. You will overcap your attack speed late game. You can only get 30% attack speed on her so if you get Ninja Tabi you will overcap with Poison Star and Wind Demon plus the Wind Demon passive(gives 20% attack speed on crit). I've actually had an issue buying lifesteal on her. I right now I'd say the best options are Bloodforge or Soul Eater. Both aren't great options though. So tentative Artemis build would be Warrior Tabi, Poison Star, Wind Demon, Bloodforge, Deathbringer, Titans.

Ability hunters have two options. You can go Trans>Warrior Tabi>Asi>Poison Star>Wind Demon>Titans or Warrior Tabi>Asi>Poison Star>Wind Demon>Crusher>Titans. I like the trans build on Skadi since kaldr can't crit but all the other ability hunters should probably do the second build.

Stromlord

Assassins are the class that I'm currently trying to wrap my mind around in terms of builds, as they can be quite diverse, you go from your more standard pen/protection characters (like Thor/Bastet/Susano) to Guys that can be built with power, attack speed, crit and so on...

http://smiteprobuilds.com/ is a decent source for builds from pro tournaments.

I would also argue that the Shuriken tree is viable on any character that can purchase crit, the stats those two items provide are just way too cost-efficient not to make use of them on certain assassins.

(Building crit on thanatos is a lot of fun actually even if not very effective, people never see those +1k dmg aa crits coming)

So are there any Mages that shouldn't build Ethereal Staff? It seems kind of insane lol.

Although the old passive was fun. Wouldn't mind seeing that come back on a new item.

DeviantBoi

Have you guys been getting the free APs that they have been giving out?

They release a video on YouTube at 1 PM EST which has a code that's active for three hours only.

So far, they've given out the Lore Lady, Mezmoreyez, and Inuki APs.

I hear that the Khepri AP is next, but don't bet on it.

Ganhyun

Have you guys been getting the free APs that they have been giving out?

They release a video on YouTube at 1 PM EST which has a code that's active for three hours only.

So far, they've given out the Lore Lady, Mezmoreyez, and Inuki APs.

I hear that the Khepri AP is next, but don't bet on it.

cool

DeviantBoi

A three hour window which you can redeem unless you're at work or in class then you're shit out of luck.

Yeah, I have a 45-minute window to get home. I live nearby so I don't think I'll have a problem.

But it does suck for everyone who is not as lucky. I wish there was a better method.

DeviantBoi

One week of S4 and I'm at 3,000 FP. Already completed all three quests and got 400 FP from the SPL matches.

I think it took me much longer to get these many points last year. Getting 10 FP per loss is helping cause I hit a mean losing streak when I was going after those Clash wins.

I ended up finishing the Fortune Chest - I was only missing two skins. I think that was the very first chest that I opened last year. I really wanted Lucky Baby Fuwa since I'm at rank 7 with Cupid.

Also got Sydney Shredder, but I'm struggling with He Bo a bit. I've played against him and I know he can dish the damage, but can't get a good combo going. Maybe it's the teams I've been put with.

Played a lot of Ah Muzen Cab in Arena. Love him. I've shredded with him in a couple of matches. And his ult skill shot isn't that hard to hit. I even got that one achievement for picking up his stinger five times in a match (as satisfying as getting the Ah Puch one for detonating 6 corpses on an enemy).

On the Clash quest now. It's pretty painful. They gutted this mode so hard.

Edit: Back to back matches against the same stacked team that just crushes us. Hi-Rez's matchmaking is such a damn embarrassment, even more so that that they never make any effort whatsoever to improve it.

Not quite sure what Hi-Rez was going for with Kuzenbo but man he's terrible. They're going to have to buff him considerably for him to ever be worth picking.

The spikes are decent but every other one of his abilities are significantly underwhelming.

gogosox82

Not quite sure what Hi-Rez was going for with Kuzenbo but man he's terrible. They're going to have to buff him considerably for him to ever be worth picking.

The spikes are decent but every other one of his abilities are significantly underwhelming.

Yeah but then people just don't attack you when your two is up so the two does nothing really. And he has very little cc for a guardian and high cooldowns. Cool abilities that don't really flow together well unfortunately.

So as far as the Gold Key thing goes, is there a way to get a second one or are we just going to have to wait for the next bundle? I assume they'll be adding more limited skins to the Gold Key Vault so it would kind of suck if you're waiting months at a time to pick up a skin from it.

Edit: Alright I found it in the FAQ.

Will I ever be able to unlock the last skin in the Gold Vault?

Yes! If you purchase every Adventures Bundle, you will be able to unlock all of the Limited Skins in the Gold Vault.

DeviantBoi

I've defended the Season Ticket price, but these bundles seem too much for me.

If there's a new adventure coming out every six weeks, that means there will be around 7 this year. That's 4,900 gems total if you buy them while they're discounted.

Plus Summer of Smite.

Plus Odyssey 2018.

Plus any other events.

That's a lot of gems. I like the game, but I gotta draw the line somewhere.

gogosox82

If there's a new adventure coming out every six weeks, that means there will be around 7 this year. That's 4,900 gems total if you buy them while they're discounted.

Plus Summer of Smite.

Plus Odyssey 2018.

Plus any other events.

yeah it is a lot of gems. I guess if your smart about it you can rack up gems easier with gem events, daily logins, etc. so you don't have to buy as many but that is a lot of gems.

Just won an Assault game in 4:43. Easily the most lopsided game I've ever been a part of.

Didn't even really have any of the typical broken gods on our team either, unless you count Herc I guess.

Doffen

Plus Summer of Smite.

Plus Odyssey 2018.

Plus any other events.

There's been a couple of gem sales. Just wait for those and stack up.

So what are the current best sites to look up builds? Been getting back into this game and it's changed a lot. I mainly play Arena so traditionally I liked stacking CDR and penetration.

So what are the current best sites to look up builds? Been getting back into this game and it's changed a lot. I mainly play Arena so traditionally I liked stacking CDR and penetration.

I use smite.guru to get an idea of what people like to build then adjust it based on team composition. I've been using it less and less these days though and going with my own builds.

https://www.smitegame.com/match-details/?match=320149351

I love winning a match that my team has no business winning. 4 mages and a Serqet. The Serqet was salty that we were messing around, but the Hades ended up building tanky and actually doing a really good job.

I use smite.guru to get an idea of what people like to build then adjust it based on team composition. I've been using it less and less these days though and going with my own builds.

Thank you.

Ganhyun

so, did the Smite OPL matches this weekend actually happen? They've listed as live for a while and I am sure two of those didnt go over 24 hours....

Isnt that because Zhong Kui needs to be tanky to get his souls without dying? I mean, especially on assault, where hes going to be hitting the other players alot more often as well.

Yeah. I was more just venting about out damaging my entire team with a full tank build. I know Zhong has a pretty easy time putting out numbers with his kit but that still seemed overly ridiculous to me.

If Assault I tend to go 4 > 3 > 1, otherwise 4 > 1 > 3, as less likely that CQC is as lethal.

Thanks. Yeah I usually level the 3 over the 1 in Assault but I wasn't sure in other modes. Like Joust for example, is it the same idea?

This is the first time I've genuinely been bummed by a skin being in a chest. I really want the Zeus skin, but there's far too many things in that chest.

DeviantBoi

Four matches of Clash today, haven't had a single teammate that could manage more kills than deaths. Yeah, I'm never getting this first win.

I feel like they did something to matchmaking.

Most of the games are just blowouts for one team.

I only play Arena and the occasional Clash, so I dunno about Conquest. But this has been my experience since the start of the season.

gogosox82

So I've been messing around with the Morrigan and I think you could get away with building her tanky and just using her ult to do damage. Not that hard to get 40% cdr anyway and her abilities have pretty high base damage so I think building tanky with an obsidian shard for pen could work on her. My only issue with her is how damn buggy she is. Half the time my ult doesn't work or something. I ulted as Kali one match and then I couldn't deselect from Kali so I had to use her every time which was highly annoying. The other problem is your reliant on the other person building probably. I ulted into a Zeus who was building nothing but attack speed items lol. The ult did like no damage. I knew something was weird when an ult that usually does like 1200, did like 600. Anyway, I think she's fun and I think a tankier build could work on her.

Ganhyun

was playing an early morning clash match this morning. Chose Arachne early on. others pick just fine. Guy picks a Thor and the Zeus goes nuts. Starts harassing both me and him for picking stupid assassins to use in clash. I ignore and mute.

During the game, instead of team fighting, he leaves me and the thor both to die randomly several times so he can pad his k/d. Im almost dead one fight so i back off. He dies in the process and starts nonstop spamming me messages about im a pussy, i suck, etc... non stop the entire match...

jeez

DeviantBoi

I was only missing 7 of the cutesy avatars. I thought that with the 3 chests I would get on Monday I had a great shot at getting Cutesy Doge.

Well... somehow I lucked out and got 6 chests! Dunno why. Hi-Rez screwed up in my favor.

Surely I would get Cutesy Doge. right?

Nope.

Got all the rest of the cutesy avatars I was missing but did not get Doge.

But that's the only one I'm missing now, so next time they give out a chest, I'll surely get it.

DeviantBoi

NRG Chronos skin:

C6aUVD0WcAAUxg6.jpg

That looks sick!

I wish NRG wasn't sucking so much this season. Other than Adapting, I haven't seen the rest of the crew streaming a whole lot.

I know people like to throw the word bloat around a lot when it comes to Smite but man, Cerunnos might just be the very definition of the word lol. He looks awesome though.

DeviantBoi

First day of CTF on the PS4 and I already have the "Where Were They" and "Flagged" awards.

Funny thing... I've been choosing Artemis, but I got distracted and she got picked. The only one left was Ymir. So I decided to try and go for that award since I was tanky.

I rushed straight to the portal... hit some speed buffs... took the flag... then rushed down the middle lane... there were some speed buffs there, as well... Hercules even managed to knock me up and back, but I would not be deterred... I got back to our base and saw that our flag was still there.

I'm sure I took more than 30 seconds, but apparently it counted.

Never thought I would get that.

I'm at 4/20 flag captures... but after one day, I'm confident that I can get that award in the next six weeks.

There isn't anything to gain from the CTF awards is there?

I played one match and thought it was alright but probably won't play much more unless I didn't realize there's stuff to unlock.

Ganhyun

There isn't anything to gain from the CTF awards is there?

I played one match and thought it was alright but probably won't play much more unless I didn't realize there's stuff to unlock.

there is a couple of emotes, a nike skin, and a key that lets you choose a guan yu unicorn style skin or susano pirate skin. I think you can pay 700 gems to unlock it up front though.

Top Bottom