• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exuro

Oh boy, North is an awful kind of VA. Shadow Demon sounds like OD, and both Lycan and Syllabear sound the same; I really can't tell them apart.
I can understand SD and OD, but Lycan and Syllabear have pretty different accents. Even then, SD sounding like OD wouldn't make him a bad voice actor, that would be Valve's fault.

Also, I can't seem to get past the "Connecting to Dota 2 Network" screen. Help?

EDIT: Restarted Steam and it seems to be working.

I have to disagree with ya. They're like the same person but in the different ages; Sylla definitely has old man's accent and that is all. I can't see any difference beside that.

http://www.dota2wiki.com/images/1/11/Lycan_spawn_01.mp3
http://www.dota2wiki.com/images/d/df/Lone_druid_spawn_01.mp3

They sound completely different to me, aside from both being male. If I didn't know it was Nolan North (and if I didn't know better about voice actors being prolific at multiple types of voices), I'd say it was a different person.

Exuro

I have to disagree with ya. They're like the same person but in the different ages; Sylla definitely has old man's accent and that is all. I can't see any difference beside that.

http://www.dota2wiki.com/images/1/11/Lycan_spawn_01.mp3
http://www.dota2wiki.com/images/d/df/Lone_druid_spawn_01.mp3
Old man's accent? That's Scottish. Lycan has more of a Russian one. I wouldn't of known they were the the same voice actor if I looked it up.

EDIT: Went through listening to their dialogue and there's a hint of similarity but clearly different accents and I wouldn't have noticed it if I didn't go listening for it.

So, how should I counter Sylla? I was told that he's pretty OP and can shutdown the whole team in 25-30 minutes. In theory Naix has moderate chances to counter him due to his Feast passive. But, since I prefer playing supports / initiators picking carry isn't always an option.

Tenck

Well, what are some good ward spots? I'm liking Vengeful Spirit a lot.

The rune spots. His only chance to catch you by surprise is through the jungle, but if you get those Rune spots covered he wont stand a chance. His only option is running straight down the lane, but you will see him easily if he does that.

Anybody got a link to a good shoutcast that explains some gameplay? I have been messing with the game all night, but I'm still not really getting it...

I watched the lane video, or most of it, but I need some good gameplay to see wtf to do.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
ibiPGxgRF9pAaT.png
Rune wards: 1, 2 and 3
Protecting your unsafe/risky/short lane: 4 (also sees rune) and 5
Protecting your jungle and mid after losing your outer mid tower: 6 and 7
Protecting your jungle and mid after losing your all your outer towers: 8 and 9
Keeping check on ancients to prevent farming/help your carry farm: 10 and 11
Keeping Roshan safe from Lycan/Ursa: 11 and 12

For countering Nightstalker early, the best wards are 1 through 5.

You'll also note that most of these are defensive applications. For offensive applications, simply reverse the area of the map you ward, since it's mostly mirrored.

vocab

So, how should I counter Sylla? I was told that he's pretty OP and can shutdown the whole team in 25-30 minutes. In theory Naix has moderate chances to counter him due to his Feast passive. But, since I prefer playing supports / initiators picking carry isn't always an option.

Nukes, stuns, anything that doesn't get raped by booboo. Sylla isn't that scary. Sylla is only scary with godly items 10 mins into the game. Just like any other hero. He really sucks as a hero in most pubs, and booboo is just annoying, and root is the only thing that makes people cry. If you can deal with Lycan, you can deal with sylla. But if booboo gets mad items, Say good bye to your supports as they get raped by auto right click.

Low Tier
Nukes, stuns, anything that doesn't get raped by booboo. Sylla isn't that scary. Sylla is only scary with godly items 10 mins into the game. Just like any other hero. He really sucks as a hero in most pubs, and booboo is just annoying, and root is the only thing that makes people cry. If you can deal with Lycan, you can deal with sylla. But if booboo gets mad items, Say good bye to your supports as they get raped by auto right click.

Nah. Sylla is great b/c he's a tanky chaser that can take down towers. He doesn't need to buy any sort of tanking items, which allows him to get radiance all the much faster. His demolish+warcry+synergy makes him a menace to your towers if you leave him alone, and he's hard to gank if he micros his bear and roots you while you try to chase him.

Honestly, the best way to deal with Sylla is to hope that the person playing him can't use him to his max potential, which most players can't. Sylla is a terrifying hero, and can really only be shut-down by very aggressive ganking.

Nah. Sylla is great b/c he's a tanky chaser that can take down towers. He doesn't need to buy any sort of tanking items, which allows him to get radiance all the much faster. His demolish+warcry+synergy makes him a menace to your towers if you leave him alone, and he's hard to gank if he micros his bear and roots you while you try to chase him.

Honestly, the best way to deal with Sylla is to hope that the person playing him can't use him to his max potential, which most players can't. Sylla is a terrifying hero, and can really only be shut-down by very aggressive ganking.

Well this is really sounds OP to me. How come IceFrog haven't nerfed him yet?

Low Tier

He did. They made it so the bear's blink works like blink dagger. (can't blink if taken damage within the last 3 seconds) He's still a really strong hero, and very good on paper. Ofc, he can be ganked just like any other hero, but his bear makes it very hard to do so. Like I said, alot of the hero's potential lies in a player's ability to micro the bear correctly and farm effectively. Ofc, i only listed the hero's strong points to make my point that he isn't a hero that "really sucks as a hero in most pubs" when in fact he rapes in pubs b/c they don't know what to do against him.

Kapura

Banned

hard to play effectively. If the other team knows there is an effective player behind te druid, they can either ban him (because it's probably a tryhard game) or pick at least two roamers to ruin his day repeatedly.

Artanisix

There's nothing that really "counters" Lone Druid off the top of my head. OD does fairly well compared to other heroes though. Arcane Orb goes through Lone Druids thick armor, his ultimate knocks off a massive amount of his HP, and Arcane Orb does bonus damage against Spirit Bear because it is a summon.

Still, it isn't a hard counter. Most players will suck major ass with Lone Druid though because they'll be unable to effectively micro both heroes, so for most of you I wouldn't worry about Lone Druid ruining your pub matches. Lycan is way, way easier to play.

Low Tier
There's nothing that really "counters" Lone Druid off the top of my head. OD does fairly well compared to other heroes though. Arcane Orb goes through Lone Druids thick armor, his ultimate knocks off a massive amount of his HP, and Arcane Orb does bonus damage against Spirit Bear because it is a summon.

Still, it isn't a hard counter. Most players will suck major ass with Lone Druid though because they'll be unable to effectively micro both heroes, so for most of you I wouldn't worry about Lone Druid ruining your pub matches. Lycan is way, way easier to play.

Arcane Orb doesn't do extra damage on sylla, its considered an ancient. The extra damage to sylla is nice yes, but unless he gets pretty tanky as well, sylla can probably just man up on him and wreck his face.

WR actually fares pretty well against him, always a constant shackle target, and wr to get away (as long as you don't get entangled in ur run).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Looking at the dev forums, I can see why Valve pushed this out a day early, there is a shit ton of bugs with the bear.

Edit: Dumb thing I just realized, the damage block from the shield items is based off your attack type, not the enemy attack type like I was thinking. Doh.

Radec

That was the very first tournament. Which, despite having more prestige, is just like any other tournament. (And they had ArtStyle, for what it matters). If the very first tournament had been a joinDOTA Master, what would you be saying?

Meanwhile 2 months ago, for...I don't know what tourney precisely in which Na'Vi was also participating, I think it was The Defence, aL was just stomping through teams. And I mean stomping. They were literally invincible during that period.

Sure, Na'Vi won the very first tournament of DotA2's existence, a high profile tournament, but that was 6-7 months ago already. Lots of things have changed, both in and out of the game itself. It's like in Tennis ; just because a player won the first Grand Slam of the year does not mean everyone else is suddendly the underdog for all subsequents tournaments.

Can you name any team that is better than Na'Vi right now ?

Tenck

Just played the stupidest Ursa ever. I mean like EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER. If you think you have played like shit, I played a billion times worse.

My team was basically split up the entire time and Lycan was farming in the jungle for like 30 minutes straight. First game I cussed 'For fucks sake Lycan we fucking need you.'

I felt bad at the end, but we got straightened out. Furion and I for the big push at bottom saved us for a while ^^

And after that match, I cannot play anymore tonight :p Match was awesome, but too frustrated and happy to really focus on anything.

Edit:
joinDota Masters IV is just about to start, http://www.joindota.com/en/live/tobiwan

Wow, 14 minute manta style.

I knoow the first game was done quick but it stated late, get the next one going already!

edit: lol wtf they hadn't patched up their clients?

BigAT

Is there a reason Orb of Venom is listed as a core item for Lone Druid's bear? Wouldn't it not stack with entangle since both are orbs?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Is there a reason Orb of Venom is listed as a core item for Lone Druid's bear? Wouldn't it not stack with entangle since both are orbs?

Entangle has a percent change to proc. So what will happen is if Entangle Procs, it over rides Orb of Venom, but if not, the Orb of Venom will proc. It is a really great item, and the big reason it likely doesn't get picked up more is that it takes up an item slot and only builds into one situational item, while you sort of have excess when dealing with Sylla.

It was bugged in the test client, but they fixed it in the second patch.

Cheeto

I just listened to sylla's voice work on youtube, I noticed there are a bunch of missing call voice clips... any other heroes have these?

BeesEight

Arcane Orb doesn't do extra damage on sylla, its considered an ancient. The extra damage to sylla is nice yes, but unless he gets pretty tanky as well, sylla can probably just man up on him and wreck his face.

So does this mean Clinkz' Death Pact doesn't work on the bear since it's considered an ancient?

AL's teamwork is awesome to see when they are on their game.

Comeback by Orange! Huge fight.

Well the comback was short lived lol. AL gets a double ravage tide again and immediately takes 2 rax, 3rd not long after.

meh fail day for the stream tourney, one DQ for not turning up and another forfiet due to shit connection. First game was a complete stomp aswell.

Anyone else having trouble finding servers right now? I tried queuing with a few people and it found a match, but since then we've been "Finding Server" (few minutes already)

We're on Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom