• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reese-015

Ninjagorilla's awesome presence on this thread also made me buy Beat Sneak Bandit. Looking forward to playing it, seems like you guys are really rocking it!

Posts like this are not very helpful.

Include a screenshot and a short description of the game so people know if it's even the type of game they like. Even a simple genre statement helps.

It's Horde mode on your phone. You stand on a top of a ziggurat and shoot enemies coming up the the sides. They want to kill you. They bounce, climb, jump, fly, and zoom. You have a sweet blaster that has a charge. Rapid fire taps produce dinky bullets and charged blasts go zooming real fast and make enemies explode.

pjTbM.png
That's a picture of the death screen. You will get used to it. It's accompanied by some wail that is both terrible and amazing.

If you like Super Meat Boy because you like getting better at something then you'll like this.
If you like Horde mode in Gears of War or Firefight in Halo, you'll like this.
If you like good controls, aka not virtual dpads, then you'll like this. The aiming in this game is good.
If you like leaderboards, bragging, chiptunes, and pixel art, you'll like this game.

I'd post a picture of gameplay but you're probably already looking at it on the appstore.

If not, here is a link.

Most importantly though, if you hate Tim Rogers with a passion then buy this game out of spite so you can say it is trash whether or not you like it. it's a really fun game that keeps you coming back to better yourself.

colinp

Banned
Thanks and right back at ya!

We want to stay small, but we would love to be at least one or two more so we could make either more stuff, or bigger stuff in the same timeframe (and without going insane). But the truth is we can't afford to hire yet.

How about you? Working on the next project? How many people are there in your studio?

Are we going off topic here?

Congratulations on a great game! I'm really enjoying BSB and ended up picking up BR last night, too.

You guys already working on your next project? ;)

Also, any plans for BSB wallpapers? Both iPhone and desktop sized...?

Congratulations on a great game! I'm really enjoying BSB and ended up picking up BR last night, too.

You guys already working on your next project? ;)

Also, any plans for BSB wallpapers? Both iPhone and desktop sized...?

We're not working on anything new yet. We're doing a little bit of this and that at the moment, picking up the pieces.

Could definitely make some BSB wallpapers and put them up on the site some day. We have wallpapers for Bumpy and Kosmo, though!

colinp

Banned
We're not working on anything new yet. We're doing a little bit of this and that at the moment, picking up the pieces.

Could definitely make some BSB wallpapers and put them up on the site some day. We have wallpapers for Bumpy and Kosmo, though!

I know! That's why I want BSB wallpapers- to complete the triumvirate!

heringer

Bought Ziggurat. It's fun. I like the music and the pixel art.

Score chasing games don't last long with me though. Only bought due to curiosity. And because the AppStore description is very effective in selling an atmosphere for the game.

milkham

i picked up beat sneak bandit after it was mentioned on the giantbombcast, i gotta say, I really suck at your game :)

AEREC

Bought GTA 3 and Chinatown. I don't really know why, as I don't really have any desire to play them. Hell, I never even liked GTA 3 to begin with.
But for a dollar, I couldn't help getting them both.

I just wish Beat Sneak was that price. Yeah, I read the post about it a page or so ago. But I just find it so hard to buy >$.99 apps when there are so many cheap or free good apps. I also have hundreds of iOS games, so I don't really need it. I'll just file it in with Carcassonne, FFT, and the Cave shmups that I want.

You really shouldn't pass on Beat Sneak Bandit because of the price, 3 bucks is still incredibly cheap for a game of this quality.

Okay; so I just started the third world in League of Evil 2. I didn't really have that much trouble 3-starring the first two worlds, but level 3-1 has me completely stumped! I'm supposed to make it to 9.5 seconds, but I'm stuck at 11.3. I'm not even close! Am I missing something?

addyb

I don't tend to game much on my iPad as I find the majority of games a pile of shit but really liked sneak beat bandits. Good job!

Sorry a bit harsh with the first comment. I guess I meant that touch screen gaming isn't really for me as I have to have physical controls. But again sneak beat is good.

hyp

I don't tend to game much on my iPad as I find the majority of games a pile of shit but really liked sneak beat bandits. Good job!

Sorry a bit harsh with the first comment. I guess I meant that touch screen gaming isn't really for me as I have to have physical controls. But again sneak beat is good.

love it when people shit up this thread with how shitty iOS gaming is BUT so and so game is fuckawesome!

smh

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So, if I'm going to dive into a GTA on here, which one should I go for? I bought them both, but there's no way I'm playing 'em both. I've tried both at some point (definitely more GTA3), but I really don't remember much about either.

Does one GTA specifically shine brighter than the other?

conman

On the fence for BSB. I like rhythm. I'm not the biggest puzzle fan around.

Does this game require multitasking?
Less a rhythm game, more a puzzle game. The "rhythm" is really just a constant 4/4.

I'm loving it, but as a puzzle game. I wouldn't really call it a rhythm game. The rhythm is just a way of timing your routes and patterns.

Zeth

love it when people shit up this thread with how shitty iOS gaming is BUT so and so game is fuckawesome!

smh

A lot of casuals can't adapt to touch screen controls. Not everyone can be as dedicated to gaming in all its forms as us.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

smh
At least it's much less frequent than seeing people weirdly boast over how their other systems are gathering dust thanks to iOS.

Nelo Ice

Banned
At least it's much less frequent than seeing people weirdly boast over how their other systems are gathering dust thanks to iOS.

I've kinda done that but though I recently got an iPhone and am still surprised how much fun I'm having with it. It caters to me perfectly since like nearly every game is pick up and play and that helps when i can't decide what to play otherwise.

Ministration

Neo Member
Thanks and right back at ya!

We want to stay small, but we would love to be at least one or two more so we could make either more stuff, or bigger stuff in the same timeframe (and without going insane). But the truth is we can't afford to hire yet.

How about you? Working on the next project? How many people are there in your studio?

Are we going off topic here?

Wow. BSB is way awesome, and it's crazy commendable that you guys put out something this engaging and polished with just 2 of you! Hats off from a fellow dev, man. (I'm with Witching Hour Studios - we made RAVENMARK: Scourge of Estellion)

It's still kinda nuts to hear that even with Bumpy Road having accomplished what's considered as significant success in the App Store, you guys would have trouble affording to expand. But I completely understand your frustrations. :( Hope BSB really takes off for you guys and sets you free!

Ziggurat is insanely fun. Tim Rogers really delivered the goods!

Wow... Tim Rogers actually worked on this? I always heard he was a consultant for game devs or something of that nature, never actually came in contact with anything he's worked on though. Concept and art definitely look intriguing. Guess I'll pick it up per your endorsement

bubnbob

Banned

smh

When the market is flooded with crap, sometimes it just takes that one game. The fact BSB isn't a Tower Defense is a victory in itself.

Wow. BSB is way awesome, and it's crazy commendable that you guys put out something this engaging and polished with just 2 of you! Hats off from a fellow dev, man. (I'm with Witching Hour Studios - we made RAVENMARK: Scourge of Estellion)

It's still kinda nuts to hear that even with Bumpy Road having accomplished what's considered as significant success in the App Store, you guys would have trouble affording to expand. But I completely understand your frustrations. :( Hope BSB really takes off for you guys and sets you free!

Ah, how many are you guys?

It's heartwarming in some ways that our games can do enough to make it able for us to continue to do these types of games we believe in, but sometimes it can be a bit frustrating that we're only two persons - there's only so much two persons can do, you know?

Thanks everyone for checking out the game, means a lot to read these positive impressions :)

Munin

So, if I'm going to dive into a GTA on here, which one should I go for? I bought them both, but there's no way I'm playing 'em both. I've tried both at some point (definitely more GTA3), but I really don't remember much about either.

Does one GTA specifically shine brighter than the other?

GTA3 is great as a showoff app and tech demo, and for the brief exhilarating joy of having a "console experience" on your damn iPhone. But as a game it's in my opinion just not enjoyable beyond dicking around, the virtual controls are as good as they can be but with the aged game and mission design, it's too frustrating.

Chinatown Wars is less showy, but IMHO the better game.

Ah, how many are you guys?

It's heartwarming in some ways that our games can do enough to make it able for us to continue to do these types of games we believe in, but sometimes it can be a bit frustrating that we're only two persons - there's only so much two persons can do, you know?

Thanks everyone for checking out the game, means a lot to read these positive impressions :)

I got BSB yesterday and just wanted to commend you on a wonderfully unique and interesting game. It's very different to what I usually play on iOS and any other platform for that matter, very well made game with a superb art direction and music.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah, I'm in the middle of chapter 3 (sort of trying to get all clocks before moving on now) and BSB is still making me smile at how well-designed it is. Many stages later and it still feels fresh, also because it keeps adding new ideas to the challenge once in a while without being overwhelming.

I got BSB yesterday and just wanted to commend you on a wonderfully unique and interesting game. It's very different to what I usually play on iOS and any other platform for that matter, very well made game with a superb art direction and music.
:D thanks!

Yeah, I'm in the middle of chapter 3 (sort of trying to get all clocks before moving on now) and BSB is still making me smile at how well-designed it is. Many stages later and it still feels fresh, also because it keeps adding new ideas to the challenge once in a while without being overwhelming.
Thanks for noticing - We really wanted every level to feel fresh, with new tricks! We could have gone the other way and doubled the levels to just have more content, but I think we hit the sweet spot in amounts/quality.

No-one playing Fairway Solitaire? Not put a huge amount of time into it so far, but already seems like it's going to consume a lot of my time. Never played it before on PC, but it's an incredibly polished title.

GeekyDad

No-one playing Fairway Solitaire? Not put a huge amount of time into it so far, but already seems like it's going to consume a lot of my time. Never played it before on PC, but it's an incredibly polished title.

Yeah, I tried it for freemyapps, and was surprised how much I was actually enjoying it. I wanted to keep it, but a half a gig for a game like that is hard to justify. Very cool concept, though. I think if they simply got rid of the voice tracks, they could shrink the size of that game substantially.

addyb

Apologies guys I didn't mean to shit up the thread and read back what I posted and yes it's a bad troll post. What I should of said is that I love my iPad, it is the best gadget I've bought in recent years, definitely got my money's worth but in terms of gaming it's just not a viable option for me as I'm not a fan of touch screen controls and therefore only a handful of games appeal to me.

I know plenty of others who love it for gaming and I know it has plenty of games for them at great prices.

So once again apologies and carry on as you were! :)

abasm

Include a screenshot and a short description of the game so people know if it's even the type of game they like. Even a simple genre statement helps.

*cough*

It's a score attack, arcade-style game. Your character stands atop a ziggurat, and must kill weird cyclops alien guys as they bounce/climb/fly up the sides. To this end, you have a gun. The gun aims in an arc, and the speed of your shot depends on how long you hold it: tap the screen, and you'll fire a piddly little bullet that will roll down the side. Hold longer to fire a bigger, faster bullet. Hold too long, and the bullet will decrease in size to a medium-speed strength and stay there. You control the arc by sliding along the bottom of the screen. (You can also play "Angry Birds" style and drag away from the direction of the shot, like a slingshot. This tends to be more intuitive to new players, but less precise.) Shots can bounce off the Ziggurat if aimed too low.

Hit the alien guys in the eye to make them explode--hitting larger eyes creates larger explosions. The explosions chain across nearby guys, so a well-placed shot can take out a group of enemies and bullets. Chained explosions don't seem to carry across colors, though--white guy explosions will make white guys explode, but won't hurt yellow guys, while yellow guy explosions WILL hurt the white guys. You'll learn which explosions affect which guys as you play. (The explosions don't affect you.) If you hit an alien guy's body, you'll still kill him, but you'll knock him back instead. This can create comical pileups at the bottom of the Ziggurat as dense packs of aliens plow into one another.

As you play longer, new types of alien guys will be introduced. White guys hop op the Ziggurat in high, slow arcs. Yellow guys climb up the Ziggurat in short hops. Red Guys hop from the base of the Ziggurat straight to the top. Orange guys will fly up to a corner, then countdown before divebombing you. BIG guys take a lot of shots to kill, and can give a boost to smaller white guys. After a while, the alien guys will all start fire slow, pink laser balls at you. Around 100-150 kills, the game starts to resemble a bullet hell in slow motion.

What sets Ziggurat apart from other score attack games (aside from its mechanics) is the sense of narrative progression. As you play further, the music changes, as does the sky behind you. Once you hit 100-ish kills, the sun sets behind you, and the music seems to ramp up into a guitar solo. As I understand it, the narrative end of the game seems to hit around 500 kills, but you can keep playing as long as you can stay alive. The reward of getting a little further is not only the intrinsic value of besting your old top score, but seeing a bit more of the game. The content is paced out well--each new enemy type feels like a milestone.

I think that sums everything up.

Zeth

I'll try this one more time: has anyone managed to 3-star level 3-1 in LoE 2? :)

Not yet. I'm still recovering from a lost save (did the new update eliminate that?) and I've lost the ability to 3-star 1-18, and it's driving me crazy. I beat it by .1 on my first play through.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Dude also put up digimon and yugi oh. Lol.

Edit: ah those aren't pretending to be games, but they also claim to have "all episodes" and stuff I doubt they include.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom