• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Been playing a stupid amount of Ascension lately. If anyone on GAF wants someone to play with, I've got the expansion, and I play all the time. I'll be in the hospital for the next month at least, so feel free to invite me to a game. I'm Dacvak on Game Center. (I'm done playing for tonight, though.)

Vire

Aye I was wondering if anyone could help in Beat Sneak Bandit

I'm stuck on Chapter 3 - Shadow Level 4 and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. I've gotten all the clocks up till now, but this one seems like you need to get it in a specific order or something and I'm not getting it.

Any tips?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
A reminder, WAKING MARS is out next Thursday and it will cost $4.99

WM4.jpg

It's a game similar to Super Metroid in the sense that you are exploring alien caves. The main mechanic of the game seems to be to create an ecosystem by planting seeds and stuff. It seems that there's also some action parts, and you can navigate the caves with a jetpack.

And since this is developed by the creators of Spider The Secret of Bryce Manor (best iOS game), you know there will be a very interesting story, and maybe some mindblowing twist like in their past game.

Can't wait to drain my iPod battery playing this thing.

A reminder, WAKING MARS is out next Thursday and it will cost $4.99

WM4.jpg

It's a game similar to Super Metroid in the sense that you are exploring alien caves. The main mechanic of the game seems to be to create an ecosystem by planting seeds and stuff. It seems that there's also some action parts, and you can navigate the caves with a jetpack.

And since this is developed by the creators of Spider The Secret of Bryce Manor (best iOS game), you know there will be a very interesting story, and maybe some mindblowing twist like in their past game.

Can't wait to drain my iPod battery playing this thing.

I do hope it looks good in motion. That screenshot looks like photoshop 101.

edbrat

Any tips for gridrunner? Loving it but I have no idea what Im doing half the time, I focus on hitting ring type things which make my weaponry go varying degrees of batshit for a limited time, anything else I should be doing?

Edited for typo

PittaGAF

I would like to spend some words for a simple super slick game I'm enjoying a lot, especially after the last update that brings Gamecenter and Twitter integration.
It's Eve of Impact, a slick take on Missile Command games that is done IMHO exceptionally well.
Maybe not that popular, but could be good for the weekly NeoGAF challenges.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=IT#/watch?v=OqJuuV78Qug

(I'm in no way connected to the dev, but I feel the game deserves much more love and it still puzzles me how good the graphic is despite the tiny package)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hi guys, what's up? Back from banland.
But the timing isn't that good (no, thanks mods, I don't really need another trip to the Nexus, I'll sort the timing issue myself 'k? :p) because I got some serious shit going on IRL, so I'll still need a couple of weeks I guess to bring things back to normal, revamp the challenges (although all the framework is all there, ie the new rules in the OP, I need some FREE hosting site that'll work decently through iOS since even abload became unreliable lately for me at least) and also to update the GC Master list daily and add needed stuff to the OP (like Last Window's work on iCade compatibility and such).

So yeah, take it easy.
Nontheless, it's good to be back :)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Any tips for gridrunner? Loving it but I have no idea what Im doing half the time, I focus on hitting ring type things which make my weaponry go varying degrees of batshit for a limited time, anything else I should be doing?

Edited for typo

Yeah definitely focus on getting the rings, they're crucial to keeping you alive when shit goes haywire. Having played a bunch of it now, I think the key is to power up fast and keep chaining them, this seems to lead to a cascade of invincible awesome. I don't know if it's possible to affect which power ups you get though, they seem to be either random or determined by the level.

One helpful hint is that when you respawn you have about 3 seconds of invulnerability (when your shop goes big and see thru). Use that time to fly through everything you can. A lot of the time you'll get another one or two rings doing that, giving you a good head start out of a death and maybe starting off a power cascade.

It seems the best strategy is just to stay calm, don't move too much and keep an eye on the bastard laser, that killse more than anything. I still haven't figured out what the side gun does either, sometimes I think it kills me but sometimes I think it might actually save me. But I need to play more to make sure. Also, play aggressive, fly towards enemies and always collect the rings.

What I do love about the game is the sound. When you're playing well and shit is kicking off the audio feedback is wonderful, all these crazy bleeps and trills, it's so rewarding and strangely musical in its own way.

Such an amazing game though, people having troubles (and I see some of your terrible scores!) just persevere and eventually it will click and you enter beautiful 80s styled bullet hell/heaven.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Hi guys, what's up? Back from banland.
But the timing isn't that good (no, thanks mods, I don't really need another trip to the Nexus, I'll sort the timing issue myself 'k? :p) because I got some serious shit going on IRL, so I'll still need a couple of weeks I guess to bring things back to normal, revamp the challenges (although all the framework is all there, ie the new rules in the OP, I need some FREE hosting site that'll work decently through iOS since even abload became unreliable lately for me at least) and also to update the GC Master list daily and add needed stuff to the OP (like Last Window's work on iCade compatibility and such).

So yeah, take it easy.
Nontheless, it's good to be back :)
Welcome back, man. Good luck with the real life stuff, hope it's all sorted out swiftly.

Dash Kappei

Welcome back, man. Good luck with the real life stuff, hope it's all sorted out swiftly.

Thanks mate! And to the others too. It was really cool lurking and noticing some comments giving a shout out to me here and there, thanks for that as well, it was really appreciated and made me all warm inside. :D

I've got a thick skin, I'll sort things out and better times'll come I'm sure, that's how it is and I stay positive :)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Thanks mate! And to the others too. It was really cool lurking and noticing some comments giving a shout out to me here and there, thanks for that as well, it was really appreciated and made me all warm inside. :D

I've got a thick skin, I'll sort things out and better times'll come I'm sure, that's how it is and I stay positive :)

Stop doing shit that gets you banned.

heringer

So addicted to Reckless Racing 2. What a superb sequel. Career mode, challenges, online multiplayer, downloadable ghosts... while not as robust as something like Mario Kart 7, it still feels like a retail package. Graphics are beautifull too.

I like it better than Death Rally (which I also like).

I wish there was more rally cars and courses though.

Gaspode_T

Can't believe no comments about Midway Arcade, it's setup pretty much like the Farsight Pinball Collection retail game (real arcade you "explore" by pressing left or right) and the price is right, it's only $1 now and think it comes with 6 games?? Joust, Rampage, Spy Hunter...pretty nice deal. some complaints about controls but I think they are being very generous with pricing here

Dash Kappei

Stop doing shit that gets you banned.

Jeez, thanks for the support good sir. I don't think I've wrote anything about the bans to deserve such reaction?
But if you want to bring it up, I've been 6 years on GAF and never got a ban until the PSN outage thread, which got me a 3 (!) months ban for a stupid, awful, sexist joke that didn't sound that bad in my mind and in italian... i think 3 months was a bit harsh, but deserved.
My other ban, this last one, I shall not speak about because I'm not sure if it is allowed to engage a mod's decision on the level I'd have to and so I prefer to play it safe instead of risking my account which I deeply care about.
Also this thread isn't about me and I hate attention whores, it was just a salute to you guys here and explaining a couple of things on why I would need a bit more time to sort things out as far as my iOS GAF duties are concerned.

Also I'm a bad, lazy person because I love my iCade but I can never bring myself to put the pad in place to have a go at some supported games, I don't deserve such awesomeness :/

tops2

Neo Member
Yeah definitely focus on getting the rings, they're crucial to keeping you alive when shit goes haywire. Having played a bunch of it now, I think the key is to power up fast and keep chaining them, this seems to lead to a cascade of invincible awesome. I don't know if it's possible to affect which power ups you get though, they seem to be either random or determined by the level.

One helpful hint is that when you respawn you have about 3 seconds of invulnerability (when your shop goes big and see thru). Use that time to fly through everything you can. A lot of the time you'll get another one or two rings doing that, giving you a good head start out of a death and maybe starting off a power cascade.

It seems the best strategy is just to stay calm, don't move too much and keep an eye on the bastard laser, that killse more than anything. I still haven't figured out what the side gun does either, sometimes I think it kills me but sometimes I think it might actually save me. But I need to play more to make sure. Also, play aggressive, fly towards enemies and always collect the rings.

What I do love about the game is the sound. When you're playing well and shit is kicking off the audio feedback is wonderful, all these crazy bleeps and trills, it's so rewarding and strangely musical in its own way.

Such an amazing game though, people having troubles (and I see some of your terrible scores!) just persevere and eventually it will click and you enter beautiful 80s styled bullet hell/heaven.

Yeah, best tip is stay calm and not move too much. If you can get used to it, expert controls are great as it lets you move *fast* when you need to..but you have to be careful to make small swipes most of the time. The tip about running into stuff when you become invulnerable after dying is what I do too. Run into as much stuff to clear the field. I can't tell though if you get points for things you run into.

Yeah, chain together the power ups as they stack, and seems like if you can chain before a power up timer runs out, it seems like the timer resets. I've gotten a even the "bullet hell" power up + large/invincible ship + others at the same time and will just run into as many ships & obstacle things before the time runs out.

I think the side laser shoots out the obstacle things.

Can't believe no comments about Midway Arcade, it's setup pretty much like the Farsight Pinball Collection retail game (real arcade you "explore" by pressing left or right) and the price is right, it's only $1 now and think it comes with 6 games?? Joust, Rampage, Spy Hunter...pretty nice deal. some complaints about controls but I think they are being very generous with pricing here

Mentioned it earlier. Controls leave a little to be desired but content is definitely there.

Skee ball was fun until I realized you could just swipe on the sides and get 100s consistently.

And gotta love Spy Hunter.

Aye I was wondering if anyone could help in Beat Sneak Bandit

I'm stuck on Chapter 3 - Shadow Level 4 and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. I've gotten all the clocks up till now, but this one seems like you need to get it in a specific order or something and I'm not getting it.

Any tips?

I miiiight be able to help you ;)
What's the name of the level? I haven't played it in a while, and I haven't unlocked everything on the phone I have here!

Gravijah

Game Dev Story was one of the first games I got when i got my itouch4.
I remember at 1pm I started playing and when I looked up again it was dark.
I swear they put crack in it!

i've been playing the hell out of it. it's really fun to share your progress with friends who have it. i just have to figure out which kairosoft game i want next!

Enco

i've been playing the hell out of it. it's really fun to share your progress with friends who have it. i just have to figure out which kairosoft game i want next!
Game Dev Story is my favorite Kairosoft game.

Mega mall wasn't too bad but all the others I found incredibly boring.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Played Waking Mars all weekend. Can't say much, but it took me seven hours to complete and I was glued to my iPad almost the entire time.

Vire

I miiiight be able to help you ;)
What's the name of the level? I haven't played it in a while, and I haven't unlocked everything on the phone I have here!

Hehe, it's called "Lock Clock Rock".

I seem to be getting stuck in the upper blue area with the gate and I can't teleport back down.

dream

I just read an article about Waking Mars in the latest issue of Edge and I have no idea what it is but I want it so badly.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Monster Flip looks just like every other puzzle match up game.

The graphics are nice though.

There is certainly no shortage of Match 3 games on the App Store. In addition to nice graphics/sound, we are hoping the Rubik's cube style mechanics which allow you to flip/rotate the monsters freely to set up big combos provide a unique differentiator. The puzzle mode itself is different from a lot of what is out there too.

chunk3rvd

Finally have enough credits for Infinity Blade II on free my apps. How do I create a US account from the UK? Or has this all been for nothing?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Does anyone remember and is able to tell me what the unofficial-but-approved-for-now version of Dominion was called? i can't seem to find it... And does anyone know what the current status of the official app is? And how good/bad the unofficial app is? Worth it to get it or better to wait for official version?

Gaspode_T

Anyone have good things to say about Call of Atlantis? It looks like it's free on iPhone right now.

I posted about it months ago, it's actually a port of a Mac game (Playrix seem to be like the PopCap of Mac world or something)

It's fun, but a bit basic and doesn't get nearly difficult at all until near the end (you can loop through the entire game a second time with higher difficulty for one extra achievement but I didn't). Sometimes the hidden object part with crystal fragments is annoying. There's a Call of Atlantis HD that looks much better on iPad. There are some companies that make almost the same exact match-3 games as this one, like Alawar Entertainment (Cradle of Rome 2), I almost thought Alawar and Playrix must be the same company...

TwiztidElf

I've been monitoring the news on Dominion on BGG forums, and it seems that there's been a media blackout. The last I read Donald X said that he was refraining from commenting as the Devs had asked to make all announcements about it. I think RGG are also refraining from commenting. But there has been nothing else. For something that was supposed to come out last December, it's a little worrying that it's stuck in dev limbo land.

If the non-official one has been taken down, that is perhaps a promising sign though. It should be easy to find by searching 'Dominion' in the app store. If it's not there, it's gone.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Reckless Racing has a ton of content for $5.. for the 99c I paid I feel like I ripped someone off.

Seriously, what a great game.. not just for the iOS, but just a great game.

Also, virtual buttons work perfectly fine.. almost.. almost don't miss buttons.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I've been monitoring the news on Dominion on BGG forums, and it seems that there's been a media blackout. The last I read Donald X said that he was refraining from commenting as the Devs had asked to make all announcements about it. I think RGG are also refraining from commenting. But there has been nothing else. For something that was supposed to come out last December, it's a little worrying that it's stuck in dev limbo land.

If the non-official one has been taken down, that is perhaps a promising sign though. It should be easy to find by searching 'Dominion' in the app store. If it's not there, it's gone.

The only Dominion i can find looks like a Risk clone by Chillingo, nothing like the card game, so I'm assuming that's not it. Thanks for the info, I'll stay put and hope it comes out soon!

Urgh. I played Dominion for the very first time last night with some friends, and now I'm really anxious for a proper iOS Dominion game. Hopefully soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom