• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Ferr986

Out of curiosity what did you guys think of the second to last zone? I thought it was cool as hell and way better than the last zone but I've seen some people complaining about it

People complain about stage because it's from
Sonic CD and for some reason they can't stand seeing something about that game, even if it's heavily remixed
. The stage is legit awesome.

Ristifer

Please tell me I'm not the only one who LOVES
Oil Ocean
? It's one of my favourite Sonic 2 zones too, if not most favourite. Mania improves on it further.
You are definitely not the only one. Not only do I love its inclusion in the game, but it now makes Sandopolis Zone moot for me. I hated that zone to begin with, but shifting those similar mechanics to
Oil Ocean Act 2
made it such a great experience. It felt like it was made for that zone all along.

13ruce

Banned
Out of curiosity what did you guys think of the second to last zone? I thought it was cool as hell and way better than the last zone but I've seen some people complaining about it

Dunno but it's one of my favorites
tiny sonic and co is cool and the sonic 1 final boss + that toy boss was cool also liked the back ground transistions those were epicly well done

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm amazed at how many people like this stage, because I've always hated it, so seeing it in Mania was definitely the only downer for me regarding it. The Mania version is definitely much better though, and I like what they did with it and made the music tolerable as well.

I too feel that it's one of the low points of Sonic 2 and is better here.

Sami+

People really complaining? That stage was fucking rad. Visuals, mechanics, and especially music were all top tier.

I think my favorite Zone is Flying Battery but that one's definitely up there.

BiggNife

OK I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who thinks that zone rules

That and Studiopolis are probably my favorite zones in the game

MrBadger

Oil Ocean
? It's one of my favourite Sonic 2 zones too, if not most favourite. Mania improves on it further.

I hated it in Sonic 2 but I really like it in Mania. In my opinion it's one of the zones that benefits the most from the revamped sprites. The shading on the background buildings is a vast improvement. Boss is still naff though

Which character's playthrough was your favorite overall? So far I've personally done both Sonic and Tails and Knuckles

I liked Knuckles for the extra challenge with his lower jump but I think Tails is my favourite thanks to being able to explore more carefully.

Sonic is the default and is of course great. But I'll give the edge to Tails. Really helps for finding the giant gold rings.

Play through order:
Played co-op with my older brother as Sonic while I played as Tails up to Stardusy Speedway.
Played through as Knuckles got 3 emeralds.
Played through as Sonic got 3 emeralds.
Played through as Tails got all emeralds.
Played through as Sonic&Tails hot all emeralds.

The game is great. Now that I know the levels better, I'm tempted to go back through as Knuckles looking for more routes.

Oil Ocean

I enjoyed the difficulty spike in Oil Ocean in Sonic 2 since it's overall an easy game. What they did with the music and revamping the second stage in Mania was fantastic.

I started cutting out a few intro pics for avatars but I only got 3 done so far. I need a break.

These are for anyone who wants to lay claim:

GZ0b0uI.png
O7EpBGI.png
USUCcnB.png

Sixfortyfive

Just randomly jumping around in a small tunnel and I reveal a hidden 1-up monitor in the ceiling.

~7th time playing Green Hill Zone and I'm still finding new shit.

EDIT: Randomly fire shield dash into a wall that breaks away to reveal a hidden invincibility monitor. :eek:

Well, two save files with all Chaos Emeralds (Sonic&Tails and Sonic solo), and every achievement except the gold medal one. Best zone for me is definately
Stardust Speedway
, especially Act 2.

For those curious, the achievement/trophy for getting through
Titanic Monarch
Act 1 with no damage (including shield damage) taken CAN be done with
Super Sonic
. But I suggest you do it on a solo Sonic save. Tails taking damage counts against it apparently.

Might take a break before I come back and do a Knuckles playthrough.

Boogiepop

Still only mid-way through (holding off to play through with friends the first time through, and we only got part of the way done, so now I've gotta wait till next time we meet up, which is killing me), and I'm absolutely loving it. Real quick thought though: is it just me, or is the crushing a little less forgiving than in the old games? It's always been kind of obnoxious, but I hit that area in Chemical Plant where it fills up with the liquid and there's the rotating platforms, and I died a good number of times more than I used to, and it felt like the crushing death was triggering a lot easier than I was used to.

Also, on the Switch, and weirdly both me and the other player on Tails had our right joycons desync midway through the play session at the same time. It just kind of shot us both into single joycon mode, and we didn't feel like putting in the effort to fix it so we rolled with it, but it was a strange little thing that happened.

Pizza

God I'm glad people are digging this game. I got it on PC and reeeeally didn't want to settle for having it somewhere else. I've managed to get minimal spoiled for me so far and waiting until next week isn't bad if the game works

Duffk1ng

I thought Oil Ocean was great, boss aside.

Metallic Madness has been the only zone I haven't enjoyed going into the final one, mostly due to the incredibly annoying enemies from Sonic CDs original version of the zone.

ryan13ts

What's everyone's favorite/least favorite stage theme?

I'd have to with Studiopolis Act 1, Mirage Saloon Act 2, or
Metallic Madness Act 1
. Studiopolis and Mirage just sound soooooo damn good it's stupid and
MM (Present)
had one of my favorite theme's in any Sonic game so hearing it remixed here was perfect.

My least favorite sadly enough (and most surprisingly to me) was
Hydrocity
. Not because it's bad by any means, but because I really can't tell much of a difference from the original, Act 1 or 2. It's the zone I wanted most in this game, probably to hear the music updated alone, but it sounds just a bit too close to the original. Am I the only one that thinks it sounds very similar? Regardless, Even with that being my least favorite, it's still past the 'damn good' bar so that's a minor complaint at best.

Ferr986

What's everyone's favorite/least favorite stage theme?

I'd have to with Studiopolis Act 1, Mirage Saloon Act 2, or
Metallic Madness Act 1
. Studiopolis and Mirage just sound soooooo damn good it's stupid and
MM (Present)
had one of my favorite theme's in any Sonic game so hearing it remixed here was perfect.

My least favorite sadly enough (and most surprisingly to me) was
Hydrocity
. Not because it's bad by any means, but because I really can't tell much of a difference from the original, Act 1 or 2. It's the zone I wanted most in this game, probably to hear the music updated alone, but it sounds just a bit too close to the original. Am I the only one that thinks it sounds very similar? Regardless, Even with that being my least favorite, it's still past the 'damn good' bar so that's a minor complaint at best.

Sonic 3K areas are a little underwhelming, both level design wise and music wise. They're not as changed as the others, especially CD areas.

That being said,
Hydrocity act 1
has a lot of changes halfway through the area.

Sixfortyfive

Real quick thought though: is it just me, or is the crushing a little less forgiving than in the old games? It's always been kind of obnoxious, but I hit that area in Chemical Plant where it fills up with the liquid and there's the rotating platforms, and I died a good number of times more than I used to, and it felt like the crushing death was triggering a lot easier than I was used to.

Behold my first usage of Super Sonic in Mania. :V

jayj

Banned
Just wanted to say how I love this game. My first console was a Genesis, I always wanted to know what a Saturn Sonic platformer would have been like and I feel like I finally got my answer.

This is definitely the game a classic Sega fan like myself always wanted.

MrBadger

I started cutting out a few intro pics for avatars but I only got 3 done so far. I need a break.

These are for anyone who wants to lay claim:

GZ0b0uI.png
O7EpBGI.png
USUCcnB.png

If nobody's taken the one on the right I'd like it. Cheers!

Sonic 3K areas are a little underwhelming, both level design wise and music wise. They're not as changed as the others, especially CD areas.

That being said,
Hydrocity act 1
has a lot of changes halfway through the area.

I figured that'd be the case, since the rest of the game is old Sonic levels made in the style of 3K.

Having said that I loved what they did with
Lava Reef. I love the new background, turning it into a huge crater rather than an underground cave. Rather in-line with the Angel Island map on S&K's title screen

Jesus devs pull back a little on the chaos emeralds. I've already gotten them all as Sonic and I'm trying again as Knuckles and I've been stuck on the 3rd one now over 6 times. Dial it the fuck back and give a better indicator of how close I'm getting to the UFO. Even when you're going at mach 3 it doesn't feel like you're making any progress at all.

It feels unintentionally more difficult then it's supposed to be.

I know Knuckles spinning on the ring has become something of a meme, but this is probably my favorite shot in the animated intro

NWtx9Ls.gif

This is what I like about the classic Sonic, looking effortlessly cool. I feel like Modern Sonic tries too hard while the Classic Sonic (seen in Generations and Forces) goes too far in a cutesy direction to distinguish the two.

Well, two save files with all Chaos Emeralds (Sonic&Tails and Sonic solo), and every achievement except the gold medal one. Best zone for me is definately
Stardust Speedway
, especially Act 2.

For those curious, the achievement/trophy for getting through
Titanic Monarch
Act 1 with no damage (including shield damage) taken CAN be done with
Super Sonic
. But I suggest you do it on a solo Sonic save. Tails taking damage counts against it apparently.

Might take a break before I come back and do a Knuckles playthrough.

Tails taking damage doesn't count against it. I used Super Sonic and blazed through the level with Tails occasionally falling on some spikes, and still got the notice at the end.

It took a somewhat irritating stage and made it great - all the best parts emphasised really nicely, the new gimmick in Act 1 is fantastic - only gripe is Act 1 boss was really bizarre to me. No idea how I was supposed to fight that one.

Finalizer

Jesus devs pull back a little on the chaos emeralds. I've already gotten them all as Sonic and I'm trying again as Knuckles and I've been stuck on the 3rd one now over 6 times. Dial it the fuck back and give a better indicator of how close I'm getting to the UFO. Even when you're going at mach 3 it doesn't feel like you're making any progress at all.

It feels unintentionally more difficult then it's supposed to be.

It gets easier with experience. I'm on my third play through with Knuckles
and Knuckles
and have gotten most emeralds in one try. Far cry from my first play through, where I spent four or so zones trying to get that damned fifth emerald. Its actually been satisfying going back to a special stage I'm totally green at, having to git gud and take multiple attempts to finally snag the prize. So yeah, just keep at it and I think you'll ultimately come to like the stages.

Still wish the wall bumpers were more obvious though.

sonto340

It took a somewhat irritating stage and made it great - all the best parts emphasised really nicely, the new gimmick in Act 1 is fantastic - only gripe is Act 1 boss was really bizarre to me. No idea how I was supposed to fight that one.
its just the sonic 1 final boss lol

iavi

They really nailed the change of pace with Knuckles. Playing through with him feels like an entirely different style of platformer. I'd say more so than even S3&K

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Wow do I hate Studiopolis. And holy shit these maps seem so much bigger than the original games. I need to replay each map multiple times to find the rings and know my way around.

Are the PS4 leaderboards still inaccessible to any of you? I keep getting errors every time I try to open the leaderboard. Happening with a friend as well so I know it's not just me.

Wow do I hate Studiopolis. And holy shit these maps seem so much bigger than the original games. I need to replay each map multiple times to find the rings and know my way around.

Who hurt you?

sonto340

Are the PS4 leaderboards still inaccessible to any of you? I keep getting errors every time I try to open the leaderboard. Happening with a friend as well so I know it's not just me.

Who hurt you?
Yuppp Kind of a bummer to not know if the times I feel are decent are trash or not.

Just learned in FBZ I could use Tails to fly around without him being controlled by a second player. I hope it wasn't like this in Sonic 3.

lt519

Having a lot of fun with this, could see multiple playthroughs. Up to Mirage Saloon and have only had to continue once.

Link_enfant

It looks like you can simply complete all Special Stages for emeralds by entering the same big ring, like the very easy to find one the first zone, am I right?

Duffk1ng

It looks like you can simply complete all Special Stages for emeralds by entering the same big ring, like the very easy to find one the first zone, am I right?

As long as you've already beaten the game, yeah.

I got 6 on my run which I just finished, messed up the last one a few times like an idiot.

Really enjoyed the game, only bit I didn't like was Metallic Madness, which was always kind of bad anyway, and the first part of Mirage Saloon which was kind of a waste of a levle.

Final boss was a bit easy, final final boss was kind of... boring. Also the last 2 stages were a little too long.

Top Bottom