• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Previews

Yiazmat

0212luxu.jpg

If it wasn't for the livery I could swear this one came straight from GT6 lol

farisr

So people telling me there was a campaign weren't right? A campaign as in actual race events and tournaments, you know, those we got since GT on the PS1.
Nope, they weren't. I've been telling folks and posting the exact info PD had been presenting to us for more than a year now, letting them know not to expect much more than what they had shown in their slides and official website when they asked about the campaign and lo and behold what happens, it is exactly in line with what PD had been showing us for a good while.

What's funny is I had a few snarky comments aimed at me for posting that info or directing someone towards a post with that info when someone asked. Acting like I had some sort of agenda to unfairly make the game look bad when what I was doing was trying to avoid a SFV like scenario happening for this game, where people buy the game and don't get the SP content they were expecting.

Loudninja

For the new page
Scapes

The previews also cover the advanced Scapes photomode system.

Polyphony Digital used advanced prototype cameras, co-developed with Sony's photography department, to capture and trace light sources at over 1,000 locations across the world. The Scape section splits these up into specific types, including natural vistas, road locations and race tracks. A special ”Editor's Choice" section includes Scapes that Kazunori Yamauchi — himself a keen photographer — chose as particular highlights.

A new vehicle positioning system allows the player to move the car and change the state of various lights and the steering angle. Camera settings include exposure, aperture, shutter speed and focus. After effects allow you to set film grain, vignette size and strength, and lens distortion and glare. You can even apply filters and color tone correction, or set the car in motion for an action shot within the Scape.

The team also hired the best automotive photographers in the world to refine the Scape system.
Social Features

Polyphony also showed details of the social interface for the first time. This area of the game has a public profile for each player. It shows data like Driver Rating (DR) and Sportsmanship Rating (DR), but also percentage completion, cars owned and miles driven. You'll also find details like how many custom liveries a player has created and see their public gallery. The screenshot also shows a ”level" ranking, although it's unclear what this is for at present.

We'll bring more details as we get them!
https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-sport-single-player-scapes-social-functions/
Livery Editor Expanded

After a peak earlier this week, we've got more info on GT Sport's mysterious livery editor.

We see the expected options, like user-selectable base paint options. Mercifully, it seems the PS3-era paint chip system has been taken out back. Players can focus on a specific portion of the car's body when placing decals: body, bonnet (hood), side mirror, rear wing, and other.

The decal options seem plentiful. While there still isn't a confirmation of an image import option, we do see that some of the images found in the media sessions earlier this week are in the decal library. Most notably, pro driver Dani Clos' logo is just within the frame at the bottom.

The ”Racing Item" option isn't expanded on, but it seems likely it's for number plates and such. It should go a long way to making the road-based N-series classes feel more like race cars.

It isn't explored in greater detail, but Gamespot's video also confirms that players will be able to customize their helmets and racing gear. We'll have to wait and see if that involves the level of decals available for the car itself.
https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-sport-livery-editor-aftermarket-rims/

Harmen

Nope, they weren't. I've been telling folks and posting the exact info PD had been presenting to us for more than a year now, letting them know not to expect much more than what they had shown in their slides and official website when they asked about the campaign and lo and behold what happens, it is exactly in line with what PD had been showing us for a good while.

What's funny is I had a few snarky comments aimed at me for posting that info or directing someone towards a post with that info when someone asked. Acting like I had some sort of agenda to unfairly make the game look bad.

That sucks, way too many people think in agendas here.

Last time around I was convinced it was something like this, but I recall posters assuring me it had a full campaign, just in a different format and without the "pokemon with cars" thing going on.

Well, can't say I am interested in this title, given how I play games. Good for those who enjoy this new direction, however.

Well, there is, but it's just not what some of us want. By all means what was in 5/6 could do with tweaking, improving and some streamlining, but this is like cutting back to studios "1st racing game ever". Like someone knocked the campaign out in the last 2 months. It's just hard to believe 4 years of work produces this.

Should've worded it more specifically, but let's just say I am not impressed with the apparent setup of this campaign.

Tomeru

I used to sit and play GT1 for hours on end. Single player was addictive as fuck. Then GT2 and, omg, GT4. Hours upon hours upon hours. With GT5 it statrted to get old. And with GT6 it was fucking stale. I'm hyped af for GTS. I don't thinkI would've stomache another classic GT game. The time forchange is always now. I hope it'll work out. But atleast its not the same GT game all over again.

KdotIX

GT Sport |OT| "Muh campaign!"

The real competition is online - thats what I'm pumped for. I've seen some brilliant online races from the closed beta.

MaDKaT

The real competition is online - thats what I'm pumped for. I've seen some brilliant online races from the closed beta.

Cute. Online is great but why shun those that aren't capable or don't want online.

Makki

I'm interested to know what in your opinion needs changing? I've driven a GTR on a track and it sounds very close to this.
Incoming youtube video quote from action cam mic with Loud noises, or other driving sim with NFS like sound effects.

GTs sounds were always below average but other sims were way overdoing stock engine noise

KdotIX

Cute. Online is great but why shun those that aren't capable or don't want online.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a lengthy single player racing campaign as much as many vocal people here. I'm currently having a blast playing through Forza 6's massive campaign.

But racing itself is about pure competition and bettering yourself through that competition - so a game going down the online focused route and including "lessons"/"challenges" to enable players to hone their skills before facing other people is a refreshing approach compared to the "do 3 laps around a circuit with sub-par AI, win, level up and get new car and money".

MaDKaT

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a lengthy single player racing campaign as much as many vocal people here. I'm currently having a blast playing through Forza 6's massive campaign.

But racing itself is about pure competition and bettering yourself through that competition - so a game going down the online focused route and including "lessons"/"challenges" to enable players to hone their skills before facing other people is a refreshing approach compared to the "do 3 laps around a circuit with sub-par AI, win, level up and get new car and money".

To me and others racing is about beating the clock. Bettering yourself through tuning, memory and skill. With that, the GT series has been about qualifying, earning, collecting, repeating since the beginning. No doubt the AI in GT has been extremely lackluster and nothing more than rolling obstacles but rather than throw it out, fix it. Im all for expanding the online. Online is great for those that enjoy it. I personally don't since I do not have the time or patience. Why give previous fans an offline option that equates to nothing more than a new version of Prologue. It sucked then, and will suck just as much now. Honestly, while I hope this game does well, part of me hopes this game game gets panned and the sales reflect that. Maybe PD will finally get to fixing the series at both ends of the spectrum. It's just extremely disappointing. Looks like after 20 years of enjoying GT the time may have come to drop the series.

Online isn't just about racing competitively. Most of the time lobbies are free run places, where you could race or drive with no stakes. You also have drift lobbies.

I agree that online racing is the peak of the genre (because AI's can never be as interesting to race against as a real person) but the campaign was fun in the aspect of building your own dealership, tuning and progressing your career.

I think PD should re-evaluate in the future. Best of both worlds.

Do you reckon this will be getting eaten up by reviewers for lack of proper career mode and the fact that it has been in development for 4 years?.

Looks incredible and this is one of the reasons why GT is still so good. It's really come together with a lot of polish recently, compared to the early footage.

I like how they are really staying true to GT being a proper driving sim, with indepth modes and challenges that teach you how to drive and get good at racing.

Winning all the gold awards in past GT games has always been challenging but so satisfying when you finally nail it, so having 3-4 modes full of different challenges should keep me playing for a really long time, in between all the online racing and buying / modding cars.

I was skeptical at the beginning and it's a bit different to a traditional GT game but I'm all in now, no regrets pre ordering the Steelbook.

Do you reckon this will be getting eaten up by reviewers for lack of proper career mode and the fact that it has been in development for 4 years?.
Eh... Shouldn't the game be evaluated on its own merits? This is a reboot from the looks of things. It should be evaluated as such.

Audioboxer

It's coming like 2 weeks after the franchise that shall not be mentioned. If it scores 8s and 9s and does well then reviewers are not going to be kind coming into GTS if it's a shell of its former self and has taken 4 years to make. Now, if all the improvements PD have made to sound, physics, graphics and MP came with a full fledged base, the story might be different. We're not getting that though, so people should prepare for one hell of a review topic months in advance.

Eh... Shouldn't the game be evaluated on its own merits? This is a reboot from the looks of things. It should be evaluated as such.

PD decided to do the reboot, "no one" was asking for it. The criticisms from 5/6 could have been worked on within the confines of a traditional 7 release. It's PD chasing esports and whatever else they claim needs a cut down GT after 4 years. Reviewers will not be kind because an industry leading studio is acting like this should be treated as their "first GT game". It's still $60, it still has the GT name and it's coming with far less content than prior GT games and what the competition is offering.

KORNdoggy

I'm imagining high 7's and it'll sell about 3 times as much as forza. Hell, i have it pre-ordered and i'm not even a big sim racing fan. GT releases are like an event, and it'll likely be the only one of this gen.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Over a thousand scapes?! All of those are just picture backgrounds that it intelligently alters lighting for, right?

Also I have no idea what the journalist was doing wrong in the campaign video that got him an "incomplete time" on the track and failed him. Seemed like he was hitting everything he should have. Bug or am I missing something?

Audioboxer

I'm imagining high 7's and it'll sell about 3 times as much as forza. Hell, i have it pre-ordered and i'm not even a big sim racing fan. GT releases are like an event, and it'll likely be the only one of this gen.

GT is always going to be the Beats headphones of the racing games (sells the most). For my own enjoyment though I'd rather play a 8/9 than just be able to sit back and gloat that it sells more than everyone else. The salt is real from me and others due to a genuine desire to have the GT we've loved for years back, and with improvements based around the criticisms from 5/6.

Crazy Kaz doesn't seem to do responding to the public and reviewers. He's stuck in amongst the racing elite and his own community and just does whatever he wants. I mean, I don't want to call him arrogant due to everything he's done for racing, gaming and PlayStation, but he is beginning to act like PS3 era Sony. For a while PD has probably needed to expand or outsource to improve on the 4/5 year cycles, but it never happens.

Over a thousand scapes?! All of those are just picture backgrounds that it intelligently alters lighting for, right?

Also I have no idea what the journalist was doing wrong in the campaign video that got him an "incomplete time" on the track and failed him. Seemed like he was hitting everything he should have. Bug or am I missing something?

The cars can drive themselves in the scapes so they're more like environments than pictures.

It's coming like 2 weeks after the franchise that shall not be mentioned. If it scores 8s and 9s and does well then reviewers are not going to be kind coming into GTS if it's a shell of its former self and has taken 4 years to make. Now, if all the improvements PD have made to sound, physics, graphics and MP came with a full fledged base, the story might be different. We're not getting that though, so people should prepare for one hell of a review topic months in advance.

Past GT games also got a lot of crap from reviewers for being bloated and full of things that it would be much better without (PS2 cars for example) So here's a thought, what if trimming the fat makes it a better game ? A shit ton of content doesn't mean the game will be good especially if some of it is janky and cutting the crap could certainly make a game better. I think GT Sport might surprise some people.

farisr

Past GT games also got a lot of crap from reviewers for being bloated and full of things that it would be much better without (PS2 cars for example) So here's a thought, what if trimming the fat makes it a better game ? A shit ton of content doesn't mean the game will be good especially if some of it is janky and cutting the crap could certainly make a game better. I think GT Sport might surprise some people.
The career mode & RPG mechanics were rarely looked upon as negatives. So it's not really trimming the fat, but more like getting rid of the meat. I think anyone not expecting this to have an impact on review scores or get a blowback from a significant portion of the GT audience is in for a surprise.

Guymelef

It's going to be in a lot of reviews just because series legacy.
Sobre reviews are going to talk about no GT mode, no 17947 cars instead of it's own merits. Also is going to be punished for it's strong online focus.

One thing is clear the game title isn't going to do any favour with reviews.

Audioboxer

My argument would be there is a scale of trimming the fat and this appears to go so far we've gone from just fat to cutting to the damn bone. It can't be helped it's glaring when the game that shall not be named has something like 700 "premium" cars and this has 160 odds or whatever it is. GT6 had 600 or something did it not? GT again will be graphics king along with sales king, but it's that triming the fat balance that looks to be way off. Like there was a mistranslation by "GT translator guy" and Kaz was instructed to cut fucking everything and nuke the existing numbered brand and everything they've spent generations working on.

When it's like no guys, that's not quite what the reviewers were saying. Nuking standard cars and somewhat tweaking the A spec campaign, yes. Maybe even nuking B spec if it ended up being too much to handle juggling it and A spec. However, no reviewer was asking for this kind of skeleton campaign mode and lack of cars. Standard cars were just criticised for being "ugly" and with no interior. Then there was PD trying to do racing karts and some sort of rally mode. So yeah, it was bloated and trying to do a million things, but that just needed some refocus, not for everything to be nuked and the resulting product 4 years on to be somewhat lacking.

Fox Mulder

Online racing in general is like 95% full of fucking morons and shit racing though.

I just prefer to keep to myself in single player really. Forza ruined that with shitty drivatars.

The big challenge for Gran Turismo Sport is in convincing people who either don't want to play any online at all, or who don't mind online but think they're well below the skill level required to compete, that they too can enjoy the online experience. I'm not a fan of the online focus either, but it does seem like Polyphony is trying to prepare people for online competition more than most (all?) other racing games do. If they can pull it off, I think it'll review quite well despite the lack of a traditional campaign.

Rodelero

Well, I for one am really excited for this game's focus on the sport of motor racing and online racing. I loved playing the campaigns in the older Gran Turismo games but to be honest I've done enough car collecting for a life time. I'm ready for something new.

The career mode & RPG mechanics were rarely looked upon as negatives. So it's not really trimming the fat, but more like getting rid of the meat. I think anyone not expecting this to have an impact on review scores or get a blowback from a significant portion of the GT audience is in for a surprise.

Sure but there was a lot of other stuff trimmed that could make the game better and if the racing is as great as it normally is and the online events are good without issues, then it could still be received well. Online focused doesn't mean the game will be bad.

Plenty of games are more online focused now, so it's not unusual these days. Plus if all those challenge modes are really good, then it still should offer a decent amount of SP content too.

Plus there is always DLC that can be added in, so who's to say more traditional SP modes won't come later ?

Audioboxer

Sure but there was a lot of other stuff trimmed that could make the game better and if the racing is as great as it normally is and the online events are good without issues, then it could still be received well. Online focused doesn't mean the game will be bad.

Plenty of games are more online focused now, so it's not unusual these days. Plus if all those challenge modes are really good, then it still should offer a decent amount of SP content too.

Plus there is always DLC that can be added in, so who's to say more traditional SP modes won't come later ?

Yeah, if that's at a cost that will piss people off and play into the argument this was done to peddle DLC and charge for things we once had included at $60.

PD should not be aiming to turn into EA or Ubisoft. They have a damn loyal fan base who shell out every time a game finally comes out in the millions.

There's always cars and tracks to sell, but if they actually started selling campaign modes/pieces we had before that would start a bit of a shitstorm.

Guymelef

The big challenge for Gran Turismo Sport is in convincing people who either don't want to play any online at all, or who don't mind online but think they're well below the skill level required to compete, that they too can enjoy the online experience. I'm not a fan of the online focus either, but it does seem like Polyphony is trying to prepare people for online competition more than most (all?) other racing games do. If they can pull it off, I think it'll review quite well despite the lack of a traditional campaign.

I can understand they want to try to create a eSports GT game etc...
The problem here is 4 years of no GT and they come with this... Nobody would be mad if they would have release a GT 7 and one-two years after that GT Sport...

Yjynx

I don't get it... Like it or not online focus is where the trend is going now.... I feel that all other racing game formula is getting samey and stalled. I'd be interesting if the online focus actually brings more fun and competition.

Guymelef

I don't get it... Like it or not online focus is where the trend is going now.... I feel that all other racing game formula is getting samey and stalled. I'd be interesting if the online focus actually brings more fun and competition.

Of course online focus will bring more fun and competition... for those who cares about online.
But you can bet more than half of GT consumers never touched online and never will do.

Yjynx

yeah I read all the complain above I still don't get it. A really well done online campaign, event, etc etc could actually what the Racing community needed now. People need to question why racing as a genre seemingly in decline. And no please dont be elitist with your comment and reason because your other favorite franchise might be following this path soon.

Half of the community? How do you even manage to say that? Any link or evidence to prove that? Or are we just talking gaf community as a whole?

Kalamoj

Ok, but what is the online focus? I mean how it will be more fun than GT5/6 (or any racing game) mp?

Yeah, if that's at a cost that will piss people off and play into the argument this was done to peddle DLC and charge for things we once had included at $60.

PD should not be aiming to turn into EA or Ubisoft. They have a damn loyal fan base who shell out every time a game finally comes out in the millions.

Unfortunately that's how the games industry is now and it's hardly the first game to charge full price and have DLC, plus game development isn't cheap, so we might not always like it but can't fault PD for wanting to make an online service based GT game to make money, like a lot of developers do these days.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like this to be GT7 with all the bells and whistles too but they always said Sport was online focused, so it's not that surprising.

Online makes too much sense for racing games, it's a very competitive sport. This is going to be Sonys biggest GAAS this generation by far, nothing first party wise will come close to this game.

That's not to say I wish they just copy pasted an old style career mode, no fucking idea why they did not do that. :(

Top Bottom